• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kamiya concerned that Nintendo isn't marketing Wonderful 101 much at all

here's your marketing
iboHjeFC2XAdgw.gif

Effect

Not surprising at all. Nintendo is incapable of marketing their own games lot of the time. PG should have seen this before deciding to work with Nintendo. Kamiya is partly to blame as well for making a game that isn't completely straight forward. The only thing he can do is complain to his hire ups and to Iwata when he has the chance to speak with them. If the game doesn't do well he shouldn't take the blame but put it all on Nintendo. Their job as the publisher is more then just getting the game in stores.

I don't expect this game to be marketed well or even at all outside of Japan. Same with Bayonetta 2. Which is beyond stupid I think because Nintendo is funding both games. If I was funding something I would do whatever I could to make sure people were aware of it and do my best to sell them on it so they buy it and I make my money back and turn a profit.

wsippel

Banned
That's subjective as fuck. It looks like an excellent game, just because the budget didn't go torwards top notch graphics doesn't mean it's not worth the price.
A lot of the budget obviously went towards graphics, but people somehow think that cartoonish and colorful is cheaper than realistic. It isn't. Well, not necessarily. If you go for a realistic style, you can use tons of stock assets, which are obviously cheaper than doing everything from scratch.

Frodo

W101 and B2 are the only games i wanna play. But Nintendo doesnt give a fuck so PS/Xbox gets a port sooner or later.

I guess we definitely need a Sticker Thread on top of all the other threads explaining the Platinum and Nintendo situation here.

This is no longer 2012. it has been said a thousand times and then some that Nintendo founded those two games and Nintendo is publishing them. So there will be ports only if Nintendo wants to become oh so very altruist and kind and allow these games to be ported to Playstation3/4 or Xbox360/180.

BadWolf

That's the feeling I got after the interview Geoff did with Reggie at E3.

Even with all the grilling Geoff did, Reggie barely mentioned 101 and didn't mention Bayonetta 2 at all iirc. He just kept pushing the usual Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong shtick.

Found it surprising considering that they are paying the bill for these games.

wrowa

W101 and B2 are the only games i wanna play. But Nintendo doesnt give a fuck so PS/Xbox gets a port sooner or later.

I can somewhat understand when people think that Bayonetta 2 will be ported to other consoles down the line. It's not going to happen for reasons that are really easy to find out, but if you aren't into these things it's easy to think: Oh, Bayonetta 2? That's a Sega game, it's timed exclusive for sure!

But Wonderful 101 is a first party game through and through. There's no reason why anyone could be confused enough to think it might get a port.

Air

Banned
This is neogaf though.

It needs to be seen by the real world too.

Oh most definitely. The goal of this thread is simply to inspire people here to talk about it to other members on the forum and to their friends in person.a little word of mouth could potentially go a long way.

While advertising will inform people, WOM tends to actually sell people on the product. You need both, but I can only do so much to inform the 10,000+ members here.

Not surprising at all. Nintendo is incapable of advertising their own games lot of the time. They should have seen this before deciding to work with Nintendo. Kamiya is partly to blame as well for making a game that isn't completely straight forward. The only thing he can do is complain to his hire ups and to Iwata when he has the chance to speak with them.

I don't expect this game to be marketed well. Same with Bayonetta 2. Which is beyond stupid I think because Nintendo is funding both games. If I was funding something I would do whatever I could to make sure people were aware of it and do my best to sell them on it so they buy and I make my money back and turn a profit.

It's the publishers job to see that the game gets its message across and draws people in through advertising the game and allowing the developer to talk about their game. This is all on Nintendo.

onipex

Isn't this game part of the 10% discount promotion that was just announced ? I mean Nintendo could do more , but this game will get drowned out anyway. Game sites are not talking about it even after giving it positive previews for 2 E3s. It's release after Pikmim and from a glance it looks similar to Pikmin. The game is releasing when all the big games start to launch for Wii U and every other console .

diamount

Banned
That's the feeling I got after the interview Geoff did with Reggie at E3.

Even with all the grilling Geoff did, Reggie barely mentioned 101 and didn't mention Bayonetta 2 at all iirc. He just kept pushing the usual Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong shtick.

Found it surprising considering that they are paying the bill for these games.

Anyone 'hardcore' enough know what these games are, and that is their only demographic. Zelda, Mario and DK are known to the masses and properties that will sell consoles. Obscure platinum games do not.

JoeFenix

Amazing enemy intros as expected from a Kamiya game -

iCQRptOUEhtzb.gif

Uniting all your heroes to form a great sword that can reflect giant laser beams back at bosses -

iExSWZTlKOFlr.gif

Cool stylish moments during boss fights, production values out the ass -

iiXtbnxbyNfL1.gif

Sorry for the questionable quality on the gifs but this game needs to be seen in action to be appreciated. Please keep in mind that these gifs run at 10 fps and the full game is 60 fps and looks a million times better.

Seriously though, How can anyone who likes action games not be hyped for this shit? It looks so glorious!

Shion

But apparently W101 is not a small title, you are judging the game entirely by its cartoon looks. Kamiya states that the budget was higher than Bayonetta's
And that's exactly why I talked about market perception.

What you are proposing is that it should have been a different game to begin with. It either should have been more gritty (I guess)
No.

The game's aesthetics have nothing to do with my point.

From Minecraft, to Journey, there have been many successful non-gritty games.

releasing the game same week as GTA V in the USA is not help also.

Played the game last week its fantastic 60 fps and no drops, great characters and lots of fun.

But man DAT release date :(

wrowa

Not surprising at all. Nintendo is incapable of marketing their own games lot of the time. PG should have seen this before deciding to work with Nintendo. Kamiya is partly to blame as well for making a game that isn't completely straight forward. The only thing he can do is complain to his hire ups and to Iwata when he has the chance to speak with them. If the game doesn't do well he shouldn't take the blame but put it all on Nintendo. Their job as the publisher is more then just getting the game in stores.

I don't expect this game to be marketed well or even at all outside of Japan. Same with Bayonetta 2. Which is beyond stupid I think because Nintendo is funding both games. If I was funding something I would do whatever I could to make sure people were aware of it and do my best to sell them on it so they buy it and I make my money back and turn a profit.

This kind of post confuses me, to be honest. Games like Wonderful 101 never sold well and even the first Bayonetta wasn't exactly a striking success (to the contrary, if it was Sega wouldn't have cancelled the sequel in the first place). If Nintendo decides not to advertise the games a lot than it's probably a reasonable decision: the costs of marketing wouldn't have outweight the additional sales. Stuff like this happens with games that cater to a niche audience.

Of course, as a developer you want your game to sell to as many people as possible. But there are simply types of games that don't appeal to a huge audience. Wonderful 101 in particular is that kind of game. If Kamiya wanted his game to sell a lot, he should have maybe done something more... mainstream. In the end, I don't think that PG have a reason to be disappointed by the partnership; Nintendo's money paid their bills and salaries after all. It's not like they are going out of this with a loss.

LogicStep

The game looks very fun. Good thing I've kept my Wii U even if it has been collecting dust. (Not for lack of games, I just haven't gotten any besides Mario).

wsippel

Banned
No.

Those are all low budget productions by tiny teams (well, Minecraft used to be in the beginning), and even then, Journey had a hard time breaking even, despite the low production costs and massive critical acclaim.

wrowa

And that's exactly why I talked about market perception.

No.

But all of these games apparently had a lower budget than Wonderful 101 has... Which goes back to my point you just cut for some reason: You want it to be a different lower budget game. But it isn't.

It's also kind of ironic, since you attest Nintendo being risk-averse. At the same time you are just ignoring the risk the company willingly takes.

09/15 - The Wonderful 101

Well this is nice, W101 is the only exclusive game releasing in September for Nintendo platforms. I might buy it.

August for comparison:

08/04 - Pikmin 3
08/11 - Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
08/13 - Rune Factory 4

Sadist

Seriously though, How can anyone who likes action games not be hyped for this shit? It looks so glorious!
As people told me;

"Man you really like weird games"

"But it's from the dudes who made Resident Evil 2, OG Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami and Bayonetta. Some of those ring a bell don't they?"

"Dude, Resident Evil 2 is like twenty years ago. The others? Never heard of 'em."

"So you won't try it?"

"Eh, maybe when I'm at your place."

kitsuneyo

Gamers are hyped for TW101.

The mass market? It's not worthwhile to start advertising more than a month before the game's release.

I hope Nintendo does print and TV ads and really pushes TW101 a unique experience on Wii U. If they don't, then Kamiya has every right to complain. Maybe he knows the marketing strategy already , but I doubt it.

Tweeting about it seems like a great idea to sour the relationship with Nintendo anyway. He should be talking to them, and the higher ups at Platinum, directly.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think its funny that this already has more posts than the W101 hype thread.

Westlo

This is what I would believe if they weren't talking up Pikmin 3 as some big system seller

Well they have to talk up something! Better a game/farnchise they are making than a game from a developer who could move on to other systems after Bayonetta 2.

But yeah lol @ the "direct" replies in this yeah.

zruben

Banned
well... damn. I wasn't paying much attention to the game;
but after seeing those gifs... now I kinda want to play it...

I think Kamiya is right, Nintendo hasn't exposed this game in the right way :(

North America advertise games like summer blockbuster movies. Nintendo advertise games like direct to DVD movies.

Sadly, not even that well. I've seen a commercial for about every Direct-to-DVD Batman movie.

People buy systems for games based on hype. If there were more slow burners it might make sense but typically if they haven't been interested they aren't going to be interested unless there's something new. Note that this is simply mass-market advertising (TV, print etc). The had E3 less than a month ago.

Yes, but how many people even know that the game exists? It wasn't one of the games they had in Best Buy (a good strategy, certainly), and it probably should have been.

EDIT: This reminds me - did they at least show of Wonderful 101 on Fallon? Sony showed off Knack of all things.

thefro

Probably should release a killer demo for it before it comes out. That's why Viewtiful Joe was a success on GC.

Still it would bomb hard on PS3/360 due to the art style.

I think it will hurt the game that it's releasing so close to Pikmin 3 as on the surface those seem like similar games (not true in reality). Obviously Pikmin is one of Miyamoto's babies so that's going to get more of a push.

Haunted

As people told me;

"But it's from the dudes who made Resident Evil 2, OG Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, Okami and Bayonetta. Some of those ring a bell don't they?"

"Dude, Resident Evil 2 is like twenty years ago. The others? Never heard of 'em."

"So you won't try it?"

He said people who like action games. If your "people" don't know Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, I question their expertise in the genre. :p

Well, this is not a thread about W101 only - it invites larger discussion about Nintendo and its marketing and third party relations in general, and that means this thread will automatically have a bigger scope.

Alternatively: Nintendo hate etc etc

wsippel

Banned
And as is usually the case with negative Nintendo threads, it's already full of uninformed bitching, trolling and (stealth) port begging.

Anyway, the game is kinda hard to sell, and spending tons of money on marketing is no guarantee for great sales. Still, Wonderful 101 apparently is one of their headliners for the summer and part of their "one game per month" initiative, so I expect the marketing to ramp up considerably closer to release.

Alienous

I assumed this was a more modest title. If this used 1.5x the manpower that Bayonetta did, what does Bayonetta 2 use? For any third-party studio that seems like quite a commitment to single platform.

wrowa

He said people who like action games. If your "people" don't know Devil May Cry or Bayonetta, I question their expertise in the genre. :p

Devil May Cry is, like, 10 years old. Your average 16 year old action gamer was barely alive back then. ;p

JoeFenix

As people told me;

"So you won't try it?"

It's like looking at the hottest babe around and people around you are like "MEH!".

And then they turn around and go home with this completely average boring girl, completely oblivious.

They'll look back in 5-10 years and finally get it, Clover/Platinum cycle forever!

Haunted

Devil May Cry is, like, 10 years old. Your average 16 year old action gamer was barely alive back then. ;p
What would be the library of action games these average 16 year olds cherish?

They don't know DMC or Bayonetta, what are they playing that makes them action gamers? There's not much else out there save Ninja Gaiden and God of War. :p

Probably should release a killer demo for it before it comes out. That's why Viewtiful Joe was a success on GC.

Still it would bomb hard on PS3/360 due to the art style.

I think it will hurt the game that it's releasing so close to Pikmin 3 as on the surface those seem like similar games (not true in reality). Obviously Pikmin is one of Miyamoto's babies so that's going to get more of a push.
Saying that a game like Wonderful 101 would bomb on PS3/360 because of the art style is a load of shit. Games with colour can sell you know. This is Nintendo being incompetent at doing what a publisher should be doing, that and the game being on a platform no one outside the Internet cares about.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
And as is usually the case with negative Nintendo threads, it's already full of uninformed bitching, trolling and (stealth) port begging.

I think there are major major issues with Nintendo's marketing. I do feel however that W101 might not be the best example of that.

I think Bayonetta 2 will be far more relevant- we know how much the first one sold, and we know that its a type of game Nintendo doesn't have much experience marketing.

Top Bottom