• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai to be on CNBC today at 3:30PM EST.

DBT85

Is it also on CNBC Europe or only US?

This will be on at 20:30 GMT which is curing Closing Bell so yes Europe will be showing it.

After that they will go to documentaries for 1 hour, then Fallon, then Nightly News Live, then Asian programming. Been doing it too long now lol.

Seronei

This will be on at 20:30 GMT which is curing Closing Bell so yes Europe will be showing it.

After that they will go to documentaries for 1 hour, then Fallon, then Nightly News Live, then Asian programming. Been doing it too long now lol.

Thanks, will at least have it on in the background. Doubt it'll be interesting from a gaming standpoint, but Kaz is always cool.

GeoramA

They called him Kazuo Kirai in the promo yesterday.
tumblr_mi0x5wE3Jv1s5o3aso4_400.gif

Ok. They are saying Sony is looking at a way to allow investors to directly invest into the Entertainment side while not splitting the company.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Is he going to address the death threats from microsoft?

Ok. They are saying Sony is looking at a way to allow investors to directly invest into the Entertainment side while not splitting the company.

So it looks like they are doing what I outlined. Reporting their results in M, E and F. They might sell retail bonds secured against the media division or offer non-voting shares in the division.

Not sure what the appeal of either would be, though.

Kaz was recruited for his "One Sony" plan to integrate all of their divisions (except finance of course). Spinning off half of the company doesn't seem conducive to that vision and will make the media divisions more remote from the electronics divisions.

I can see where Loeb is coming from, he thinks having highly profitable assets like media and finance has lead to a slow down of reform in the electronics business. If you look at Panasonic, they will return to an operating profit sooner than Sony's electronics division because they basically have no choice. At Sony the electronics division has been allowed to rest on its laurels because they know the other divisions will bail them out, and hiving off the media and finance assets into a separate company and forcing the results to be declared separately will force the electronics divisions into making reforms more quickly. He hasn't taken into account the glacial pace of Japanese management reform so that plan could have dire consequences for Sony in the end.

I think what will happen is that Kaz will announce that he is going to change the reporting of the company so that they will have three internal divisions. M, E, F and each will report separately and consolidated group accounts will be prepared separately also. That way investors will be better able to gauge the health of each part of the company. That way the electronics business will no longer be able to hide behind M/F profits. It also paves the way for any non-performing asset to be spun off if the plan falters and Sony fall back into a rut.

Right now, Kaz needs to call for investor faith and show some results. He needs to talk numbers, Xperia Z shipments and Vaio Duo shipments need to be called upon to show that Sony has it's groove back. All he needs is more time to reform the TV division etc... this time it will be different and whatnot.
I keep bringing up the US 2010 FCC RVU mandate for cable companies and ATSC 2.0 being implemented over the next year. Aren't they going to impact the entire CE industry? For instance Sony just started a new OTA TV movie channel in 50 markets using their media, with ATSC 2.0 either doubling the number of sub channels or resolution this makes sense now. Why would they sell or split off the media divisions when now is the time they can be used to best advantage.

RVU + ATSC 2.0 (h.264, XTV, S3D) opens a market for Smart TVs and Set Top boxes like Blu-ray players or PS4 with Google TV like features.. The Nanse is a RVU/DVR server.

8:30 surely?

Anyway this is what I want Kaz to say today:

Numbers, figures, sales.

Sony has a huge credibility deficit right now. Investors have absolutely no idea what the success of key products in their line up is like right now.

Kaz needs to come out and tell us sales/subscribers for these key products:

Xperia Z/ZL
Xperia tablet Z
Vaio Duo
RX100
PS3
Music unlimited
PSN
4K TVs

That will allow investors to gauge how well/poorly the electronics division is doing. Right now we only have broad information that gives us no idea of what the success or failure of their actual key products are. Sony need to be more open with investors and show evidence of their turn around with sales data of key products in the electronics division.

qko

Kaz was recruited for his "One Sony" plan to integrate all of their divisions (except finance of course). Spinning off half of the company doesn't seem conducive to that vision and will make the media divisions more remote from the electronics divisions.

I can see where Loeb is coming from, he thinks having highly profitable assets like media and finance has lead to a slow down of reform in the electronics business. If you look at Panasonic, they will return to an operating profit sooner than Sony's electronics division because they basically have no choice. At Sony the electronics division has been allowed to rest on its laurels because they know the other divisions will bail them out, and hiving off the media and finance assets into a separate company and forcing the results to be declared separately will force the electronics divisions into making reforms more quickly. He hasn't taken into account the glacial pace of Japanese management reform so that plan could have dire consequences for Sony in the end.

I think what will happen is that Kaz will announce that he is going to change the reporting of the company so that they will have three internal divisions. M, E, F and each will report separately and consolidated group accounts will be prepared separately also. That way investors will be better able to gauge the health of each part of the company. That way the electronics business will no longer be able to hide behind M/F profits. It also paves the way for any non-performing asset to be spun off if the plan falters and Sony fall back into a rut.

Right now, Kaz needs to call for investor faith and show some results. He needs to talk numbers, Xperia Z shipments and Vaio Duo shipments need to be called upon to show that Sony has it's groove back. All he needs is more time to reform the TV division etc... this time it will be different and whatnot.

This is obvious in GAF in recent years when the Playstation brand was bleeding money and people were all just "Nuh-uh! As a whole the company earned a profit, blame the TV's and cameras!"

I'm guessing shareholders are starting to get frustrated at how the electronics division is holding back the stock price. I can assure you there will be no Kaz laughing unless its out of nervousness.

Akira

8:30 surely?

Anyway this is what I want Kaz to say today:

Numbers, figures, sales.

Sony has a huge credibility deficit right now. Investors have absolutely no idea what the success of key products in their line up is like right now.

Kaz needs to come out and tell us sales/subscribers for these key products:

Xperia Z/ZL
Xperia tablet Z
Vaio Duo
RX100
PS3
Music unlimited
PSN
4K TVs

That will allow investors to gauge how well/poorly the electronics division is doing. Right now we only have broad information that gives us no idea of what the success or failure of their actual key products are. Sony need to be more open with investors and show evidence of their turn around with sales data of key products in the electronics division.

This is something that Sony seems adverse to. Even with the Xperia Z, it had to take leaks from some insiders to get the 4.6 million sales in one month. Why aren't they shouting to the world that they broke 5 million? Apple an Samsung would have announced such a thing, although their sales announcement would obviously be at a higher level.

I don't expect anything new if/when he talks about PS4, but I think it will be good to get his view on the direction of Sony. I wanted to pass this on to those who might be able to watch it.

I'm assuming it will have more to do with Loeb wanting a public offering of sony entertainment more than the PS4 but might have both.

This is something that Sony seems adverse to. Even with the Xperia Z, it had to take leaks from some insiders to get the 4.6 million sales in one month. Why aren't they shouting to the world that they broke 5 million? Apple an Samsung would have announced such a thing, although their sales announcement would obviously be at a higher level.

It's part of the reason Sony are lacking credibility in their electronics division. We don't know how successful their key products are. Hell, PS3 might now be WW number two, but Sony won't tell us. They need to become more open with their sales/shipments figures to show that their electronics division has legs in it.

How awesome would it be if they sit down and start the interview with:

Interviewer: "Kaz, thanks so much for joining us. You said you wanted to start today by spending time discussing and clarifying the Playstation 4's used game and DRM Policy. Explain!"

Kaz: " Thanks for having me! We wanted to take a chance to let all our customers know, that we have heard them; appreciate and respect them. The Playstation 4 will have no 'new' DRM Restrictions in comparison to the PS3. Publishers are free to use Activation Codes, like they did during the PS3 era, but that is the limitation of our DRM. All Sony Published games will not have activation codes. Enjoy!"

I would be completely fine with this. EA and Ubisoft could charge for their activation codes, and we could respond with our wallets. This would make Sony look like good guys and cast that evil shadow over other publishers or even the competition.

How awesome would it be if they sit down and start the interview with:

Interviewer: "Kaz, thanks so much for joining us. You said you wanted to start today by spending time discussing and clarifying the Playstation 4's used game and DRM Policy. Explain!"

Kaz: " Thanks for having me! We wanted to take a chance to let all our customers know, that we have heard them; appreciate and respect them. The Playstation 4 will have no 'new' DRM Restrictions in comparison to the PS3. Publishers are free to use Activation Codes, like they did during the PS3 era, but that is the limitation of our DRM. All Sony Published games will not have activation codes. Enjoy!"

I would be completely fine with this. EA and Ubisoft could charge for their activation codes, and we could respond with our wallets. This would make Sony look like good guys and cast that evil shadow over other publishers or even the competition.

Uhh, didn't sony use activation codes for PS3 also?

avaya

It would be cretinous of Sony to sell their divisions. Loeb is a bellend extraordinaire.

Those divisions were hard won assets, the fact they have not been used to their full potential is irrelevant. Loeb is looking for a short term profits.

I don't see how spinning off might be going against integrating divisions. They are already shrinking the business by a little bit to return to profitability.

ReaperXL7

So I dont understand something...The idea here is that Sony splits off the entertainment portion of the company, but what does that mean? Does Playstation become its own Company? Would it be sold off to another company like Toshiba or something? Also would their first party studios be counted amoung that, or would they be split up like THQ and sold piece meal?

I dont understand why they would even bother releasing the PS4 only to sell of the division before release,or soon after.

jwhit28

They keep teasing that the Electronics division might be spun off. Maybe it's just TV "keep the viewer watching" type of tease. Is Xperia Z even available from a US carrier? Does it have PS Classics?

RulkezX

They keep teasing that the Electronics division might be spun off. Maybe it's just TV "keep the viewer watching" type of tease. Is Xperia Z even available from a US carrier? Does it have PS Classics?

It's looking more of a certainty every day, It's also probably why Kaz is there.

Top Bottom