• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kaz Hirai to be on CNBC today at 3:30PM EST.

iRjk0XSAF5ze3.gif

If only he was laughing, this could have been the new gandalf.gif

Chaplain

Here is what was asked about the PS4 and Kaz's response:

Question: I want to jump in with a question here on the PS4, going up against Xbox one this holiday season. that's a big deal for the holidays for consumer electronics in general. How are you going to be able to position that to be a better gaming experience than the Xbox one and get ahead of them, futures wise?

Kaz: Well, i think that with any PlayStation platform launch, and certainly with PlayStation 4, we want to make sure that we have the best and compelling games that we bring to our consumers and fans, through both our first party studio products as well as from our third-party partners. And that, obviously, you know, in this generation of software and hardware, is going to include a lot of social aspects, a lot of network aspects as well. But i think we've been synonymous with bringing compelling gaming experience to customers around the world and PS4 is no exception.

Portugeezer

Not available :(

Someone stick it on YouTube?

Seems to be down for some reason... I could have downloaded on Firefox and uploaded to Youtube, but it's 2GB when downloading, slow download, and there isn't much PS4 talk (he mentions that games are important and stuff).

Some highlights I find interesting...

Kaz believes Sony can turn the Electronics division around

I think Sony will focus on high-end market only in consumer electronics based on current trends with there TV sectors while leaving consumer friendly priced electronics to other companies like Samsung who are killing them. 4K TV's, projectors for movies, Kaz mentioned the new 49ers stadium as well.

PS4 established as a game console first and foremost

Will seriously consider the offer to split up 20% of the company later in June

Thinks all the electronics division needs is focus and execution, highlighs Xperia Z as proof.

Xbudz

Sony am doomed.
Proov ur not doomed.

The video.

CNBC is a sister company of MSNBC which Microsoft has a stake in.
Dat news media bias.

Xbudz

I have a feeling most people in this thread had active listening turned off, and were simply staring at that Kaz face looking for expressions.

GAF is the reason for that 8 billion loss.

Some highlights I find interesting...

Kaz believes Sony can turn the Electronics division around

I think Sony will focus on high-end market only in consumer electronics based on current trends with there TV sectors while leaving consumer friendly priced electronics to other companies like Samsung who are killing them. 4K TV's, projectors for movies, Kaz mentioned the new 49ers stadium as well.

PS4 established as a game console first and foremost

Will seriously consider the offer to split up 20% of the company later in June

Thinks all the electronics division needs is focus and execution, highlighs Xperia Z as proof.

With Kaz's focus on improving the electronic business i don't see them selling it at all.

But lets say the board comes to a decision and they do. What does that mean for Playstation since that now is under the electronics umbrella?

Portugeezer

With Kaz's focus on improving the electronic business i don't see them selling it at all.

But lets say the board comes to a decision and they do. What does that mean for Playstation since that now is under the electronics umbrella?

There are other things they would sell before PlayStation. It would be stupid of them to sell PlayStation with other crap lying around.

Someone can come and correct me, but I don't think it's that they would sell anything. What would happen is that the Entertainment division would be spun off as a separate stock so investors could focus on that separately from the "original" stock that would contain the underperforming Electronics division.

Isak_Borg

Sony am doomed.
Proov ur not doomed.

The video.

Dat news media bias.

MSNBC no longer has ties to microsoft.

Edit: source http://seattletimes.com/html/techno...018699883_microsoft_nbc_finally_split_ms.html

Looking at how Sony is trying to position itself I could see it working. They're going for the high end TV/Home Entertainment similar to how Apple dominates high end luxury computers. I could see it working since there doesn't seem to be one dominant high end luxury TV/Home Entertainment brand. Makes a lot more sense looking at the PS4 specs and how they're positioning themselves now.

Makes me consider buying some shares since I really do think they're going to be in a good position if they can get rid of some of their assets.

Man

"The weakening of the yen actually hurts versus the US dollar, but helps versus the Euro and overall."

2013 European launch re-confirmed.

So when they talked about videogames, NBC decided to show a clip of NBA 07 running on PS3.

Of all games you choose that?

Really? Who is producing this? And my beloved Sonics were in it, lol.

Also, right after that it showed fight night i think, so excellent gif material with the knockout punches coming and Kaz on the side.

Wait, so do you guys think Sony is actually going to spin off its Entertainment division (Sony Pictures, Music, Computer Entertainment)?!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So when they talked about videogames, NBC decided to show a clip of NBA 07 running on PS3.

Of all games you choose that?

Really? Who is producing this? And my beloved Sonics were in it, lol.

Also, right after that it showed fight night i think, so excellent gif material with the knockout punches coming and Kaz on the side.
Their Playstation stock footage probably hasn't been updated since the PS3 launch.

Sony am doomed.
Proov ur not doomed.

The video.

Dat news media bias

Holy crap the paranoia, it's laughable. MS backed out of that anyway

Also, on the Yen vs Dollar question. Part of the reason they struggle with it vs other Japanese companies is that they have a much higher fixed USD cost base (which made sense with strong Yen), but also they fixed these costs going forwards when their business had a much, much higher income level in the US so their USD income outstripped their fixed costs. Over the last three years USD revenue has decreased by around 25%. Sony are slowly becoming a non-entity in the US as their TVs are uncompetitive and they don't have a significant presence with Xperia, they only division that does significant business in the US is Cyber-Shot and Vaio. That is why it is of paramount importance that Kaz ditch this idea of not tackling the US market and get in there now. Get those USD revenues up to offset the high fixed USD costs. I think they have started already because they have come to the same realisation, but there is still a long way to go yet.
Much appreciated.

Top Bottom