• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazunori Yamauchi tweets details about GT5 Spec II (free, 9-15th October)

Toxa

galian beast said:
I feel as though GT is simply too generic.

I'm not asking for Need for Speed, but the game needs to evolve as a genre.

EA did that with Need for Speed, PD hasn't really done anything different, and the game truly suffers because of it.

EA killed NFS ...

elektrixx said:
Ahh, close. I won't play my copy until they add rewinding during gameplay.
*cringe*

offshore said:
Well, galian does make the valid point that PD have never really done anything different. It's the same broken formula from years gone by, same options, same design, same events. It's just getting old now.

But wanting GT to evolve like NFS?? NFS went backwards for a decade, and is only just beginning to recover. We want GT to actually move forward.
Why does the phrase, "move forward" make me extremely anxious?

KKRT00

offshore said:
Well, galian does make the valid point that PD have never really done anything different. It's the same broken formula from years gone by, same options, same design, same events. It's just getting old now.

But wanting GT to evolve like NFS?? NFS went backwards for a decade, and is only just beginning to recover. We want GT to actually move forward.
I agree that many options are the same, and a-spec look similar, but 'never really done anything different' is just cruel - seasonal events, online, special events, photo travel, b-spec, track creator - all are new and all are enormous time sinks.

glaurung

This is a pretty good move against Forza.

Having played both, I cannot overstate how different the two games in their respective approaches are, even though they should be exactly the same.

Zaptruder said:
As a GT5 supporter, this defensive spin is particularly cringe worthy.

Fair enough that 2D trees allow a focus of limited resources onto other areas that are more pressing and important to the experience of driving...

But 'nothing to do with the real thing ... because the real thing would be too complex to do fully in 3D is facepalmingly illogical.

You can do decent quality '3D trees' with basic geometry for the trunk and alpha transparent textures for the branches and leaves.

You can, but you'd have to model a pretty big number of different trees. GT5 trees shapes are pretty much accurate with the real thing 90% with tons of different shapes. Ever wondered why that's NEVER the case with games that use full 3D models?

When I say real thing I don't meant that it should look like a real tree, I meant it should look like the exact same tree it's representing.

tusken77

KKRT00 said:
I agree that many options are the same, and a-spec look similar, but 'never really done anything different' is just cruel - seasonal events, online, special events, photo travel, b-spec, track creator - all are new and all are enormous time sinks.

Speaking of seasonals, new Seasonal Events are available...

Time Trials

Japanese 90s Deep Forest Raceway/Reverse: for any commercial car manufactured in Japan in the 1990s. Participant cars can be tuned up to 345BHP and 1000kg. Tyre selection is limited to comfort/soft or less.

PP750 Cape Ring Outside Time Trial: for any car with 750PP or less. Tyres are limited to racing/hard or less.

Drift Trials

Eiger Nordwand G Trail Reverse: for any car equipped with dirt tyres.

Autumn Ring Mini/Reverse: for any car equipped with comfort/soft tyres or less.

The Online Dealership has been updated too.

Ford SVT F-150 Lightning '02 - 17,525cr
Caterham Seven Fireblade '02 - 30,000cr
Suzuki GSX-R/4 Concept '01 - 62,500cr
Lamborghini Nomad Diablo GT-1 '00 - 375,000cr
BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01 - 500,000cr
Nissan R390 GT1 Race Car '98 - 1,500,000cr
Panoz Esperante GTR-1 Race Car '98 - 1,500,000cr
Toyota GT-ONE Race Car (TS020) '99 - 1,500,000cr
Nissan R89C Race Car '89 - 1,750,000cr
BMW V12 LMR Race Car '99 - 1,900,000cr
Pescarolo Courage C60 - Peugeot Race Car '03 - 2,000,000cr
Pescarolo Courage - Judd GV5 Race Car '04 - 2,000,000cr
Pescarolo C60 Hybride - Judd Race Car '05 - 2,000,000cr
Jay Leno Tank Car '03 - 2,000,000cr
Nissan R92CP Race Car '92 - 2,100,000cr
MINOLTA Toyota 88C-V Race Car '89 - 2,100,000cr
Audi R8 Race Car '01 - 2,125,000cr
Formula Gran Turismo - 2,500,000cr
Sauber Mercedes C9 Race Car '89 - 2,675,000cr
Bentley Speed 8 Race Car '03 - 2,875,000cr

Xun

I'm mixed when it comes to the trees.

I think they could be done better, but on the other hand I don't think you guys realise just how hard it is to get trees looking right.

Most of my attention when looking at the graphics are focused on the overall picture, which GT5 does well.

nib95 said:
Considering it's arguably still the best looking console sim racer out there, and probably will be till this generation ends, I don't really see where you're going with this.

Even the 2D tree's argument is pretty worthless, you can see from comparison pictures with the competition it doesn't really make much of a difference in real world graphics and can even often look better depending on the implementation.

I agree, a lot of it was less than ideal, but then a lot of it was ground breaking too. The new physics and driving engine is the best on a console, then there's the weather, night racing, rally, snow, go-karting, Daytona etc. A tonne of content that a lot of the competition still has yet to match.

It's the best looking in certain regards. Certainly the standard cars are not the best looking, nor are a couple of tracks they recycled from the PS2 games.

The weather and night racing are great additions and should be standard in racing games, but I was a bit disappointed the vast majority of races in A spec were in normal weather conditions. I can't even remember one rain race in A spec. The 2D trees thing is just one small flaw among many. Don't know why people are latching onto that.

Angst

brotkasten said:
I can't believe we're discussing trees again.

Again.
Soon the discussion will be about the crowd that someone will claim made the game unplayable or about the lack of sense of speed.

offshore

DukeTogo1300 said:
Why does the phrase, "move forward" make me extremely anxious?
I don't know, why does it?

Don't you want GT to embrace more comprehensive tuning, modification, online, customisation options and a fresh design for the 21st century? I'm not sure why someone wouldn't.

Aginor

Neo Member
Seriously trees we are debating trees ? get a f@cking grip

GT5 was flawed in more ways than acceptable at release it has since been suported to a decent level admittedly still not even close to perfection but really all that matters is the driving and discounting PC uber sim racing it is fantastic in that respect .

All this fanboyism and trolling about nonsense really does detract from what is important the the driving which is pretty much what driving games are about and no im not defending PD in the other areas some choices they made were bad like the UI , loading times etc .

Angst

offshore said:

Don't you want GT to embrace more comprehensive tuning, modification, online, customisation options and a fresh design for the 21st century? I'm not sure why someone wouldn't.
When I read "going forward" I think about things like speed blur, wacky game modes, CoD text popping up everywhere, exaggerated sounds, exaggerated speeds. That makes me cautious.

But if you mean things like Autolog I'm all in.

offshore said:

Agreed. Apart from the constantly improving (and stellar) graphics, everything has been pretty much the same since GT3. I did enjoy the Mercedes Nurburgring and Nascar events though.

Most immediate improvement I want is in engine sounds, which I still find disappointing.

Aginor

Neo Member
Engine sounds improve vastly with a decent sound setup the sounds are there just not as impressive as some other games with a standard setup ie through the TV speakers

Zaptruder said:
As a GT5 supporter, this defensive spin is particularly cringe worthy.

Fair enough that 2D trees allow a focus of limited resources onto other areas that are more pressing and important to the experience of driving...

But 'nothing to do with the real thing ... because the real thing would be too complex to do fully in 3D is facepalmingly illogical.

You can do decent quality '3D trees' with basic geometry for the trunk and alpha transparent textures for the branches and leaves.
I'm sure you already know this, but the PS3 has always struggled with alpha textures.

elektrixx said:
I don't want to have my time wasted because of some little mistake or glitch on the last turn of the last lap. Rewinding would be a great addition.

No, it wouldn't. Hope this feature never makes it into a GT game because it goes against everything racing represents. Racing is all about being pipped at the post or just sneaking across the line to win by a hairs breadth. It is the thrill of racing. Rewind is the ultimate dumbing down of the game, right down there with driving lines and brake assists.

Kenshin001 said:
No, it wouldn't. Hope this feature never makes it into a GT game because it goes against everything racing represents. Racing is all about being pipped at the post or just sneaking across the line to win by a hairs breadth. It is the thrill of racing. Rewind is the ultimate dumbing down of the game, right down there with driving lines and brake assists.

I use driving lines and ABS when it's 2 am and I can hardly keep my eyes open while trying to do the daily GT grind. =]

other than that, they really kill the experience. ESPECIALLY the racing line on the night races.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Can we get back to raging over something else besides trees?

FFS LEAVE THEM ALONE THE POOR BASTARDS!
You know, I always thought the sense of speed you be better in this game.

offshore

LiquidMetal14 said:
Can we get back to raging over something else besides trees?

FFS LEAVE THEM ALONE THE POOR BASTARDS!
Trees are the new cars.

In GT6, they'll be standard trees and premium trees.

Zaptruder

Banned
Kenshin001 said:

Eh. They can include it - but its use should definetly be noted and penalized.

e.g. some events you can only get into if you use rewind in less than 10% of the races you participate in.

Particularly as it relates to online play - offline, not so much - just reward players that don't use rewind by giving them a bonus to their winnings and XP.

elektrixx

Banned
Kenshin001 said:
Losing is not a thrill, nor is failing to progress or wasting x minutes of your time only to be expected to repeat the same task again (multiplied by the amount of laps).

Mid-race checkpoints that the player can resume from would work also.

polyphony already do this in gt5:

pxL3f.jpg

The lack of use must be performance related or laziness, the HD PS2 tracks would be totally transformed if they had planted 3D trees, imagine an Autumn Ring with 3D trees and fallen leaves on the track like in GT Tokyo concept :drool

krioto

elektrixx said:
I don't want to have my time wasted because of some little mistake or glitch on the last turn of the last lap. Rewinding would be a great addition.

No - it's crap and does not belong in GT.

Dead Man

elektrixx said:
Losing is not a thrill, nor is failing to progress or wasting x minutes of your time only to be expected to repeat the same task again (multiplied by the amount of laps).

For many people (and I will freely admit PD has done a poor job here) a good race is the reward.

offshore

Wax Free Vanilla said:
imagine an Autumn Ring with 3D trees
Yeah, it'd look like total shit.

The only way Autumn Ring is ever going to look good is with a from-scratch version, and even then I'd rather PD focus on more important tracks than that boring piece of junk. Autumn Ring is one of the worst GT fictional tracks, right up there with Cape Ring.

offshore said:
Yeah, it'd look like total shit.

The only way Autumn Ring is ever going to look good is with a from-scratch version, and even then I'd rather PD focus on more important tracks than that boring piece of junk. Autumn Ring is one of the worst GT fictional tracks, right up there with Cape Ring.

What the hell?

Angst

Cape Ring has some good parts and some really shitty parts IMO. The Spiral of Doom and the Jump from Hell being the bad parts.

offshore said:
I'd rather PD focus on more important tracks than that boring piece of junk. Autumn Ring is one of the worst GT fictional tracks, right up there with Cape Ring.

Wtf? Autumn Ring is one of the best tracks Polyphony have made, the flow is amazing. I'll give you Cape Ring though, that track is pure shit.

malyce

elektrixx said:
You fuck up, then do it again, and again, and again, and again till you get it fucking right.

elektrixx said:

The thrill comes from losing, starting again and winning. That gives you a sense of achievement. If you think that is not a thrill go have a look at the Demon's Souls or Dark Souls threads because it is what those games are all about. I hope this namby pamby hand holding rewind shit never fouls a GT game.

Zaptruder

Banned
Wax Free Vanilla said:

pxL3f.jpg

The lack of use must be performance related or laziness, the HD PS2 tracks would be totally transformed if they had planted 3D trees, imagine an Autumn Ring with 3D trees and fallen leaves on the track like in GT Tokyo concept :drool

Well there you go.

So why are we complaining about 2D trees again??

offshore

Wax Free Vanilla said:
Wtf? Autumn Ring is one of the best tracks Polyphony have made, the flow is amazing.
I dunno, I've never liked it. I love most of GT's fictional tracks, but Autumn and Cape Ring...ugh.

elektrixx

Banned
Rewinding is not hand holding. It's essentially a live checkpoint. It means the player doesn't have to repeat part of the game they already did right the first time.

It's the same thing that everyone complains about in other genres: checkpointing. Gran Turismo and other racing games should not be relying on outdated game design.

Wax Free Vanilla said:

pxL3f.jpg

I was thinking the same thing when I raced on that track. Some proper looking trees, leaves and a bit of dust on the track swirling up as you drive through. It would be magic. Instead you get these X shaped trees and a sterile track with poor textures. I didn't really like this track though. Wish they'd done something new or Bathurst or Hakuna.

tusken77

Kenshin001 said:
The thrill comes from losing, starting again and winning. That gives you a sense of achievement. If you think that is not a thrill go have a look at the Demon's Souls or Dark Souls threads because it is what those games are all about. I hope this namby pamby hand holding rewind shit never fouls a GT game.

Not to worry, I can't ever see that rewind feature rearing its ugly head in the GT series. And if it ever did, I'd never use it.

Speaking of the thrill of winning and the sense of achievement, I heard today that in Forza 4 you can actually buy cars with MS points instead of earning them.

It's these sorts of things, amongst others, that make me unable to take that series seriously.

Top Bottom