• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazunori Yamauchi tweets details about GT5 Spec II (free, 9-15th October)

Polyphony

Kenshin001 said:
I wouldn't mind a 2 year cycle like Forza. No standard cars, updated/new tracks, better/more intuitive UI, better crash damage and weather option on all tracks. I don't see why updates and a new game have to be mutually exclusive. Problem is PD are not efficient developers and they should be hiring more people or outsourcing.

I agree with the outsourcing. Turn 10 is using it to their advantage, and it's working very well for them.

gate777

Well done to Kaz and PD. This is the way patches and dlc are done. I can now officially start the endurance races.

ZeroRay

Give PD shit for anything else, but they supported their game better than any console dev this gen, or any gen really when you think about it.

Mush

Polyphony said:
I agree with the outsourcing. Turn 10 is using it to their advantage, and it's working very well for them.
Kaz, being the control freak that he is, would never allow it.

KingDizzi

Banned
ZeroRay said:
Give PD shit for anything else, but they supported their game better than any console dev this gen, or any gen really when you think about it.

Yeah I completely agree, particulary compared to other console games. It's why even though GT5 for me was a letdown, I'm still happy having purchased this game rather than renting. My PS3 shitted out on me though and GT5 disc got dented in the process of getting it out so will not be able to experience Spec II. If by E3 there is sill no hint of PS4 hitting soon then I'll pick up another PS3 and hope Spec II will be released on disc.

AgentChris said:
PD has 2 studios now. I suppose one can focus on models and the other can focus on the gameplay stuff.

One for consoles games, other for handheld games. ;)

Mush

Yoboman said:
Outsourcing can't be controlled?
He'd have to be on site 24/7 to oversee everything to make sure they meet PD's standards.

So basically what Sony need to do is find a way to duplicate Kaz.

Noshino

Outsourcing can be quite a gamble, sure it can at times help you decrease the development time, but if not done right, it can cause delays, slowing the whole process down and costing you time and money.

Not only is PD's method safer, but they also get to keep their tech in-house, which is always a plus.

Yoboman said:
Outsourcing can't be controlled?

what's the point of outsourcing if you have to keep holding their hands?

Mush

AgentChris said:
PD has 2 studios now. I suppose one can focus on models and the other can focus on the gameplay stuff.
That doesn't solve the issue of there being only one Kazunori Yamauchi!

Mush said:
Damn right.
GnyIe.jpg

Mush said:
Kaz, being the control freak that he is, would never allow it.

Yet he allowed all those crap standard cars, tracks with 2D trees, clunky UI etc. Before the game came out the excuse was he was a perfectionist and everything had to be spot on. Kaz should get his priorities right.

I really don't understand all the backslapping for Kaz. It's like building a highway full of potholes and bumps and congratulating the council when they fix it. There was near zero interaction with fans and gamers before the game was released and if I remember Kaz said he didn't pay much attention to other games. It showed.

Mush

AgentChris said:
Damn right.
GnyIe.jpg
Surely he must have some apprentice he's taken under his wing over these years?

Translator-san, perhaps?
Kenshin001 said:
Yet he allowed all those crap standard cars, tracks with 2D trees, clunky UI etc. Before the game came out the excuse was he was a perfectionist and everything had to be spot on. Kaz should get his priorities right.

I really don't understand all the backslapping for Kaz. It's like building a highway full of potholes and bumps and congratulating the council when they fix it. There was near zero interaction with fans and gamers before the game was released and if I remember Kaz said he didn't pay much attention to other games. It showed.
http://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-wanted-another-2-years-for-gt5-development/

Dead Man

ZeroRay said:
Yeah. I do give PD a lot of shit for the state of GT, and the lack of evolution in the series over the years, but they have supported GT5 like troopers, far better than I expected.

Mush said:
couldnt they just get a sign that says "NEEDS MORE POLYGONS!" and hang it in the other studio.

sure they could get a second team to model cars... I mean not the important cars like the Ferrari's and race cars but the hatchbacks and random Toyota's and stuff.

Modeling a car isnt exactly some major feat that can only be done at PD. if they can find a talented enough studio to outsource to and PD can give them a number of standards to meet when getting source material for cars and how accurate they got to be then I dont see the problem. it would give the main team more man power to do better tracks and make the actual game better.

oh and play testing.... PD should probably play test more. That menu system really shouldn't have made it to retail. its better now but god they should playtest in EU/US next time.

I can't take anyone who still metions "2D Trees" seriously...

Have you guys seen GT5s Nurburgring? It's the best representation of the track ANYWHERE, 2D Trees is actually a benefit here, it's easier to make a representation of the real thing in 2D rather then using some 3D Trees that have nothing to do with the real thing like most games use, because the real thing would be to complex to do fully in 3D.

There is no downside to using 2D trees other then the fact that you can use it for trolling in game forums. If you're complaining about a racing game like GT5 using 2D Trees your nothing but a troll and you couldn't care less about the game.

Nurburgring looks great, can't deny that. The trees on Autumn Ring look laughable though. I don't really "care" about GT5, it's not my child, but I did pay money for it and was pretty disappointed given it was supposed to be the pinnacle of 5 years work, a graphical showcase and a new era in the series. Part of the problem was the huge discrepancy in standard ie. half the game looked magnificent, half looked like an upgraded PS2 game, the handling was fantastic but the UI and car management were shit etc. etc.

Angst

I see this thread has now turned into complaints about how the long development time. What in the fuck does that matter now? Yeah the waiting sucked, but it's here now and they have supported the game for almost a year.

PD could have stopped at 1.06 or 1.08 and kept everything else back for GT6, then release it in November 2012. Would that have been better for us? I don't think so.

Solal

I am pretty sure we would have got nothing if Forza 4 was not there... credits to turn10 to force PD getting their head out of their butt.

nib95

Banned
Kenshin001 said:
Nurburgring looks great, can't deny that. The trees on Autumn Ring look laughable though. I don't really "care" about GT5, it's not my child, but I did pay money for it and was pretty disappointed given it was supposed to be the pinnacle of 5 years work, a graphical showcase and a new era in the series. Part of the problem was the huge discrepancy in standard ie. half the game looked magnificent, half looked like an upgraded PS2 game, the handling was fantastic but the UI and car management were shit etc. etc.

Considering it's arguably still the best looking console sim racer out there, and probably will be till this generation ends, I don't really see where you're going with this.

Even the 2D tree's argument is pretty worthless, you can see from comparison pictures with the competition it doesn't really make much of a difference in real world graphics and can even often look better depending on the implementation.

I agree, a lot of it was less than ideal, but then a lot of it was ground breaking too. The new physics and driving engine is the best on a console, then there's the weather, night racing, rally, snow, go-karting, Daytona etc. A tonne of content that a lot of the competition still has yet to match.

Zaptruder

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
I can't take anyone who still metions "2D Trees" seriously...

Have you guys seen GT5s Nurburgring? It's the best representation of the track ANYWHERE, 2D Trees is actually a benefit here, it's easier to make a representation of the real thing in 2D rather then using some 3D Trees that have nothing to do with the real thing like most games use, because the real thing would be to complex to do fully in 3D.

There is no downside to using 2D trees other then the fact that you can use it for trolling in game forums. If you're complaining about a racing game like GT5 using 2D Trees your nothing but a troll and you couldn't care less about the game.

As a GT5 supporter, this defensive spin is particularly cringe worthy.

Fair enough that 2D trees allow a focus of limited resources onto other areas that are more pressing and important to the experience of driving...

But 'nothing to do with the real thing ... because the real thing would be too complex to do fully in 3D is facepalmingly illogical.

You can do decent quality '3D trees' with basic geometry for the trunk and alpha transparent textures for the branches and leaves.

patsu

Solal said:
I am pretty sure we would have got nothing if Forza 4 was not there... credits to turn10 to force PD getting their head out of their butt.

I'm sure if Gran Turismo is not there, console racing games -- including the entire Forza series -- would not be challenged as hard.

amar212

patsu said:
I'm sure if Gran Turismo is not there, console racing games -- including the entire Forza series -- would not be challenged as hard.

And I am sure if there was no Gran Turismo as a series the whole driving/racing genre as we know it today would be a somehow different place from perspective of actual game-design and approach to the matter of representation.

KKRT00

Zaptruder said:
You can do decent quality '3D trees' with basic geometry for the trunk and alpha transparent textures for the branches and leaves.
It would be true if there would be even a single racing game with only 3D trees, but there isnt.
Every racing game has 2D tree, even 2D forests, so this arguments is just stupid.

If they ever do add rewinding during gameplay i hope you get nothing if you finish a race using it.
No money , points , trophies , cars etc etc .

Zaptruder

Banned
KKRT00 said:
It would be true if there would be even a single racing game with only 3D trees, but there isnt.
Every racing game has 2D tree, even 2D forests, so this arguments is just stupid.

It's fine to have 2D trees - especially in areas that are not as visible.

But should 3D trees be excluded completely? I think a balance of 3D trees along the most visible stretches and 2D trees elsewhere would be a the most decent compromise.

That said; trees aren't a big deal to me - the only point I was trying to make was; it's possible to do acceptable 3D trees that kill the performance of a game or development. It wasn't an argument that all trees must be in 3D.

KKRT00

Zaptruder said:
It's fine to have 2D trees - especially in areas that are not as visible.

But should 3D trees be excluded completely? I think a balance of 3D trees along the most visible stretches and 2D trees elsewhere would be a the most decent compromise.

That said; trees aren't a big deal to me - the only point I was trying to make was; it's possible to do acceptable 3D trees that kill the performance of a game or development. It wasn't an argument that all trees must be in 3D.
And what game has good balance between those?
I think only Dirt makes it right, but still it has 2D to 3D conversion that is visible.

Thrakier

galian beast said:
I feel as though GT is simply too generic.

I'm not asking for Need for Speed, but the game needs to evolve as a genre.

EA did that with Need for Speed, PD hasn't really done anything different, and the game truly suffers because of it.

What the hell? If anything then NfS is gerenic as hell since EA overtook it. GT really has it's own unique charme.

darkwing said:
GT won't be GT if it changes like the NFS series, you would have to boot out Kaz before that happens

I'm still not even sure about what he means when he compares it to GT. Does he want them to create arcadey spinoffs of GT?

This is the greatest news ever!!! Mid-saves in endurance races, my life has got some meaning back again!!!!

This is fucking AWESOME!!!! ^_^

patsu

I wouldn't call GT5 generic.

GT5 special events are quirky and charming.
Samba Bus, AMG, NASCAR, Rally, Karting, etc. all have their own personality.

The B Spec AI is rather temperamental too. ^_^

Hope Polyphony took the valid criticisms to heart and fix them, but please follow their own vision at the same time.

offshore

Well, galian does make the valid point that PD have never really done anything different. It's the same broken formula from years gone by, same options, same design, same events. It's just getting old now.

But wanting GT to evolve like NFS?? NFS went backwards for a decade, and is only just beginning to recover. We want GT to actually move forward.

Goldrusher

Kenshin001 said:
Nurburgring looks great, can't deny that. The trees on Autumn Ring look laughable though.
Nürburgring = brand new, made for GT5
Autumn Ring = not changed since GT3

I know that's not an excuse, they should have remade Autumn Ring. But it's not fair to compare the two.

They did redo the High Speed Ring and even a completely new interpretation of Chamonix.
Deep Forest and Trial Mountain on the other hand were copied from GT4/GT3 without a single change.

Never understood why they bothered to remake some tracks, but not others. And why they didn't include every single GT4 track.
Either remake them all in GT5-quality, or include them all even if they're GT4-quality.

Top Bottom