• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazunori Yamauchi tweets details about GT5 Spec II (free, 9-15th October)

Toxa said:
233702congrats.gif

lol what is this from?

mclaren777

Metalmurphy said:
Honestly I understand the fixed camera in third person, it's really hard to follow the track in a non fixed one. What I don't understand is... why not have both? oO
I sent a physical letter to the North American producer of GT5 and he talked to Kaz about it personally.

Apparently Kaz wasn't interested in giving people the option to choose for themselves. :(

Metalmurphy said:
Honestly I understand the fixed camera in third person, it's really hard to follow the track in a non fixed one. What I don't understand is... why not have both? oO
It's easier to get a feel for the weight transfer of the car on a nice swinging chase cam. They really should have that too. Hell, there should be a slider for the amount of swing in the chase cam. I'm sure at least one old rally game did this... CMR?

GTP_Daverytimes said:
That my friend takes a lot of work to accomplish, and i don't the fans are requesting for that. Almost everything in this update is what fans have been wanting (Still want a leaderboard but Spec III will probably solve that) , its good to see Kaz and co listening to their fans.

Well, the fans never requested their avatar to take a picture next to their car but its in this update anyway :p

Its not as hard as it looks. If PD claims they've modeled every premium car right down to the last bolt, then its just a matter of making the animations of the bonnet, boot, doors opening.

Escalation said:
These sure look like new RM versions of the WRX, RX-7 and R34 GT-R.

The "WRX" is actually the ISF Racing Concept. The R-34 behind the RX-7 is the HKS Time Attack (forgot the ingame name), unless you meant the R35, which is new ;)

Zaptruder

Banned
Would've been nice if they could've modelled up those interiors in low-poly... I could pop out a couple per hour if I had high resolution source images of the interior to work with.

Low-poly steering wheel and texture based internals = easy peasy.

Still... 500 hours for 1000 cars is approximately 3 months of work.

I'd say it's worth it - spread it out across 3 guys, and you'll make a lot of GT fans happy in a little over a month.

offshore

Wax Free Vanilla said:
[IMGttp://i.imgur.com/lKOVZ.jpg[/IMG]
Well this doesn't look good :lol

I wasn't expecting them to be that great anyway. I think well all have to accept that only open cockpit ones will look much cop.
seattle6418 said:
No they are not.

The front spoiler changed, and that´s about it. The rest it´s just a livery update for the 11 cars they got.

Every major Nascar team still uses chassis from last season, it´s the same spec, same car. Biggest change would be on the Goodyear tires, let´s see if they modelled that.

I hope they included a Dodge model, but it´s not looking likely.

I really dig Nascar, and for Online two things would make the races great: slipstreaming settings, so we could tone it down, and a more realistic tire wear model so you could run the high line effectively, instead of just running the bottom everytime.
I didn't say it was a massive change, but it's still a remodel is it not? And also there are two extra cars (we might yet get that Dodge...), and there's been some sponsorship changes which will correlate to the reworking of the interior. The point is that it's not exactly a copy/paste job.

I agree about the drafting. It's still awful and spoils races on Daytona as everyone just wants to be in second place going into the final corner to catch the draft of the guy in front.

Angst

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Well, the fans never requested their avatar to take a picture next to their car but its in this update anyway :p
Not true, it was tweeted to Kaz. Blame MM if you want to :D

amar212

fu3lfr3nzy said:
The "WRX" is actually the ISF Racing Concept. The R-34 behind the RX-7 is the HKS Time Attack (forgot the ingame name), unless you meant the R35, which is new ;)

No it's not. And no, it's not. R35 is yes.

Pazuzu9 said:
It's easier to get a feel for the weight transfer of the car on a nice swinging chase cam. They really should have that too. Hell, there should be a slider for the amount of swing in the chase cam. I'm sure at least one old rally game did this... CMR?

cmr2

it also gave you the ability to position the camera within a set range.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
cmr2

it also gave you the ability to position the camera within a set range.
Of course! Ahhh... what an absolute classic that game is. And still the most elegant UI of any driving game ever.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
Don't blame me, just embrace the awesomeness!
I think it's pretty cool and can't have been that hard to develop anyway. New avatar confirmed.

If we can move the guy around the car there will be some awesome pics. I'll put my driver in front of the tram in Bern and see what happens.

Pazuzu9 said:
You have all the standards? That's some impressive grinding right there. :eek:
It's not as bad as you might think. The biggest pain are the cars that only showed up occasionally in the used car dealership.

fu3lfr3nzy said:

Its not as hard as it looks. If PD claims they've modeled every premium car right down to the last bolt, then its just a matter of making the animations of the bonnet, boot, doors opening.

Keyword "Almost", not like i don't want what you are asking for but i rather have them focus on the big things now.

Edit: Nope, the badge clearly has the Subaru logo.

Pazuzu9 said:
You have all the standards? That's some impressive grinding right there. :eek:

As do I, and every standard has its oil changed and at least three sets of tires. The oil and tires took forever, and took place before the update where I could buy tires before races :(

My new thing is getting 0 mile cars from the OCD and tickets I have stashed. Wish I could display my cars in a trophy room.

offshore

I'm kind of curious about how in both posts on the US and EU blog they keep emphasising that the update is "free".

I mean, what...do they want a pat on the back for not charging us for a functionality update? Weird.

Zaptruder said:
Would've been nice if they could've modelled up those interiors in low-poly... I could pop out a couple per hour if I had high resolution source images of the interior to work with.

Low-poly steering wheel and texture based internals = easy peasy.

Still... 500 hours for 1000 cars is approximately 3 months of work.

I'd say it's worth it - spread it out across 3 guys, and you'll make a lot of GT fans happy in a little over a month.

I feel like they are already doing that behind closed doors. The problem with adding 3D modeled cockpits for 800 cars is that it would add a crap ton in terms of space requirements.

phosphor112 said:
I feel like they are already doing that behind closed doors. The problem with adding 3D modeled cockpits for 800 cars is that it would add a crap ton in terms of space requirements.
Nah. There's no point in making low poly anything. Would it look better than a black silhouette? Not really. It would just make the gap between standards and premiums even more obvious. All that up-close interior detail in low poly would be nasty. And it would be a significant amount of effort to get accurate source material to model in low detail. If you're gonna go and photograph/scan the old interiors, you might as well photograph and scan them to the detail needed to translate to GT6. Why would you spend time making models that you could never use for a new game? That time would be better spent making new premium models.

Dibbz

Pazuzu9 said:
Nah. There's no point in making low poly anything. Would it look better than a black silhouette? Not really. It would just make the gap between standards and premiums even more obvious. All that up-close interior detail in low poly would be nasty. And it would be a significant amount of effort to get accurate source material to model in low detail. If you're gonna go and photograph/scan the old interiors, you might as well photograph and scan them to the detail needed to translate to GT6. Why would you spend time making models that you could never use for a new game? That time would be better spent making new premium models.
Yep I agree. Don't waste time making low poly models since you will only have to redo them later. The only reason some standards have low poly interiors is because they are open top and you can see them from outside the car.

What will be interesting is how this new interior shot will handle rain. Are they going to have workable wipers? I doubt it but I'm interested to see how they handle it.

BADNED

fu3lfr3nzy said:

No, the ISF you say is indeed the '10 WRX Sedan in RM trim and the other is a R34 GT-R and not the HKS Evo. ;)

offshore said:
I didn't say it was a massive change, but it's still a remodel is it not? And also there are two extra cars (we might yet get that Dodge...), and there's been some sponsorship changes which will correlate to the reworking of the interior. The point is that it's not exactly a copy/paste job.

I agree about the drafting. It's still awful and spoils races on Daytona as everyone just wants to be in second place going into the final corner to catch the draft of the guy in front.

Since they modeled the individual parts on thos premium cars, they just need the bumper and the paintjobs. (check jayski.com for more on that, there are a lot of 2010 cars racing this year, just with the different bumper).

In some cars, like the one of Jimmy Johnson, it´s the same paint job, so they just need the bumper for this one.

There are no extra cars, we have 11 already, so i assume, going by the pics, that it´s an update to the current ones.

Yeah, drafting is really a bummer.

Even if you use restrictor plates in Daytona (power limiter in the game), you still get ridiculous speeds under draft. Specially on Indy, the laptimes are totally off because of that.

nib95

Banned
Can't believe the update is the same day as F4. Now I'm not sure which to dive in to. I'm thinking GT5 as I can then get F4 cheaper at a later date. or just do both simultaneously lol...

Pazuzu9 said:
My bad, I didn't mean low-poly. Of course they wont do all of the older cars, but I feel they are already working on interiors.

nib95 said:
Can't believe the update is the same day as F4. Now I'm not sure which to dive in to. I'm thinking GT5 as I can then get F4 cheaper at a later date. or just do both simultaneously lol...

I say F4 since the game GT5 patch will have to be downloaded and installed first :p

dwebo

Good stuff, though of course, now I'm more curious as to what they're saving for the car/track DLC packs. Most everything else are small enough fixes that could've (and probably should've) been patched in already.

But hey, free is free, so whatever. And at least I'll finally be able to finish a-spec!

spats

I wonder if they'll do a new disc release? Seems unlikely since the unpatched platinum version went on sale not too long ago. Would be great though.

darkwing

Theonik said:
Judging from past patches over 1GB. maybe closer to 2GB.
loooooong patch. Sucks you can't background patch it.

shesh i hope they already include the DLC, and just buy the unlock key

Theonik

darkwing said:
shesh i hope they already include the DLC, and just buy the unlock key
I'm guessing that at least part of the DLC will be added with the patch. Otherwise people without the DLC wouldn't be able to play if DLC cars were used.

Top Bottom