• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazushige Nojima (scenario writer) wants Final Fantasy X-3 to happen

Considering X and X-2 are the last two Final Fantasy games I truly loved (XII is good and XIII is awful), I can get behind this idea. Love the characters, love the world. They need their mojo back to do it justice. They also someone who can write a half decent scenario and story.

Dark_castle

On a second thought, this is an absolute terrible idea. I want SE to focus on putting FFXV out as soon as possible, not making more and more other random titles, pushing XV down the priority list.

Ehhhh I feel pretty weary of the idea of a 3rd X game. X's one of my absolute, favorite FF's (and games) ever, and it took me just until very recently to kinda accept X-2 for what it is. After the lows that Toriyama has reached this past gen, I'm frankly really mortified at the thought of what he'd do to X's universe with a new sequel to the game.

I'm not even sure what it would be about. They already stretched these characters and world quite thin.

It should be about Braska, Jecht, and Auron's attempt to stop Sin, to flesh our their backstories, or about an adult Vidina mapping out parts of the world that have been uncovered in the years since the eternal calm started (and an attempt at bringing back Saga-style questing, but knowing SE we would probably get something unsatisfying

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Keep Toriyama busy with this. X was already run into the ground with X-2 so he can't do it any more harm, plus it'll keep the fool away from the mainline titles.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Since I loathed both X and XIII, its honestly been pretty bizarre to see them get such incredible focus from the company. If they really did dedicate resources to an X-3 over the seemingly pretty needed 7-remake trump card they're going to be forced to pull soon, I'd be bewildered.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Keep Toriyama busy with this. X was already run into the ground with X-2 so he can't do it any more harm, plus it'll keep the fool away from the mainline titles.

I'm ok with this so long as he doesn't write the story.

Boogybro

Oh God I hope not.

FJnq8zh.gif

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I'd rather have final fantasy XII-2

God no.

Make me a FF XII sequel instead. Or at least a FF XII HD version.

Listen to this guy.

I swear FF12 has to be the redheaded stepchild of the final fantasy series yet it's one of the best. It's the Deep Space 9 of the Star Trek universe.

The Jason

This sounds like it could happen. FFX is pretty popular.

I would buy it but I would rather them focus on other games or remakes.

Myriadis

"Tidus Returns"?
No, thanks. He's the worst character I've ever played.

I rather like to see a sequel to FFXII, or better, a new number.

Dark_castle

Nojima left Square? Fucking wow. When did that happen? He is the only good writer they have ever had.

In 2003.

I wouldn't say Nojima is the only good writer Square has ever had. Both Jun Akiyama and Hiroki Chiba are strong talents too, and they're all currently working on XV.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
X-2's scenario is in hindsight pretty unique and clever. I mean, what other JRPG is based on the notion that "now you've saved the world, what do you do next"?

For me its one of those stories where the central plotline (vegnagun) is actually just a macguffin the pursuit of which is used mainly to hang lots of smaller, tangential character-based threads off. So while I can understand why some people would think that its just weakly plotted, lacking as it does a huge, high-concept central plot like the original, its got its own smaller charms.

Each sequel to a numbered title appeals to a smaller and smaller fanbase. Why not use the talent and time to make a fresh scenario for 16? Why not make an impressive new ip? Why aren't they doing this right now?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Story about Braska, Auron, and Jecht pls.

Go_Ly_Dow

Each sequel to a numbered title appeals to a smaller and smaller fanbase. Why not use the talent and time to make a fresh scenario for 16? Why not make an impressive new ip? Why aren't they doing this right now?

They probably are but not ready to tell us about it yet.

Shinta

Banned
Kitase and Toriyama are both free at the moment ...

I kind of expected this as soon as they announced the extra 30 minute audio episode after X-2. I'd love a X-3.

dramatis

To be honest, what else can happen after 10-2? The setting of 10-2 is a post-Sin world where at last the new generation can rebel against the stifling traditions of the Yevon religion that revolved around Sin. What is at stake is war so shortly after the disappearance of a menace that seemed to be the only reason the people were united. That story seems quite resolved at the end of 10-2 though, I can't imagine what other villain can be cooked out to drag the story longer in a good way.

RPGCrazied

Isn't it a little late for that? I guess if the remaster does really, really well they can think on it, but what more story could they really tell?

To be honest, what else can happen after 10-2? The setting of 10-2 is a post-Sin world where at last the new generation can rebel against the stifling traditions of the Yevon religion that revolved around Sin. What is at stake is war so shortly after the disappearance of a menace that seemed to be the only reason the people were united. That story seems quite resolved at the end of 10-2 though, I can't imagine what other villain can be cooked out to drag the story longer in a good way.

New governments can spring up that are vying for control of the government. The entire eastern side of Spira is unexplored in-game because it is not important to the pilgrimage, but now that that is not a concern, they could find all sorts of shit over there

Shinta

Banned

I think the new audio episode will give us some significant hints about what they have in mind.

If they can make it with a small team that doesn't have significant impact on the development of FFXV and higher, why not? When you have a huge catalog of IP and content, why not have some fun with it and do some fan service?

Zafir

Can they just stop making sequels to game that already have closed endings!

This kind of craziness was what brought us XIII-2.

If they can make it with a small team that doesn't have significant impact on the development of FFXV and higher, why not? When you have a huge catalog of IP and content, why not have some fun with it and do some fan service?

We all know this is never the case though. Kingdom Hearts and FF versus were delayed indefinitely so Square could work on FF Xiii sequels and FF XIV upgrades.

Derrick01

Banned
Oh god could you imagine how horrible the story would be? Especially as they try to bring certain characters back just for the sake of fan service? No thanks, kill this thought now before it becomes more than that.

Toth

Why? :( FFX-2 ends the series very well. There is no need for a third game. At least LR was needed to end the cliffhanger of FFXIII-2...

I greatly enjoyed FFX and FFX-2.

With that said, I don't think it would be interesting to expand Yuna Tidus and co's story. FFX-2 felt fresh because of FFX's ending and the contrast between Spira pre and post-FFX.

Writing FFX-3 as the direct prequel of FFVII ? Now that would be interesting, if only to see the meltdown
If it happens plz resurrect Auron and Zack from the lifestream so they could become bros and kick some ass

Top Bottom