• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazushige Nojima (scenario writer) wants Final Fantasy X-3 to happen

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
FFX-2 ends the series very well.
goose-laughing.gif

I'm not all that fond of the universe. But I don't see why not.

And this time they could have a complete free-swimming Blitzball game. And free swimming in general.

Also, Yuna deserves her boyfriend back.

grebby

If it's a prequel with Auron, Jecht and Braska I would be very interested in playing that. An actual sequel couldn't be anything but a train wreck plot-wise.

KoopaTheCasual

After how much I hated X-2, please no. Unless we FINALLY get the Auron, Jecht, Braska prequel that we wanted. If it's more TidusxYuna, I might commit sudoku.

Famassu

The cynicism is starting to rub off on me. They are totally going to announce FFX-3 and release it before FFXV, aren't they?

Carbonox

Only a prequel would be welcome, nothing else. So pointless returning to this now and it would inevitably be a mobile title anyway.

Go_Ly_Dow

The cynicism is starting to rub off on me. They are totally going to announce FFX-3 and release it before FFXV, aren't they?

6-8 years ago if the higher up employees (Kitase, Nomura, Nojima) proposed this for consoles then there's probably a chance it would be greenlit, but the Square of today I highly doubt it would be.

On the console side of things they're sticking with what will guarantee them top dollar with their Japanese IP's so until they turn their fortunes around. It's highly unlikely.

I suppose they could expand on Shinra's story crossover tease and maybe explore the beginnings of JENOVA or something, since our beloved calamity from the skies one of the only things we don't yet know the origin of. Other than that, yeah, a prequel would be better. The problem is simply that the main story is told and the world explored. To get a new kind of story, they would probably have to go with the Shinra thing.

They need to move on from beating the dead horse. FFXIII's expanded story did more harm than good. FFVII's Compilation also fuckin convoluted FFVII's world(and Nojima was a big part in the Compilation). FFX-2 was good, but in a "good enough" type of way. Where else can they take FFX? I don't see any valid road to venture other than introducing something entirely new and opening a can of worms in the process. Leave well enough alone and move the fuck on!

Koozek

Well, it doesn't have to retcon anything. It could very well just be about some new people in the same world without destroying established characters/stories. Only if they do it right, of course :p
I mean, I loved FF X but not so much that I couldn't take a new spin on it because I wouldn't want it to destroy my memories. The fun and memories I've had with X wouldn't suddenly disappear when X-3 comes out eventually, you know. For me, X-2 didn't do any harm either because I saw it as a seperate thing anyway.

Does anybody know what the X-2.5 novel stuff is about?

I could see a creatively bankrupt company churning this out in the next five years. Go for it. Like everything else FF related nowadays, I will have no interest in buying it.

RpgN

Sorry to ask this question here, but isn't there going to be a FFX/X-2 HD import thread? I was looking forward to reading impressions and comparisons between the PS2/PS3/Vita versions.

Laconic

Banned
This is what I want to see in a FF X-3: Yuna and crew pass through a magical portal. It leads to the future/another reality. Where... They cause a chain of events that leads to a literal canonical retcon of the FF-XIII Trialogy <sic> before returning to their own time/reality. Tidus stays a real boy. Everybody wins.

Dark_castle

I could see a creatively bankrupt company churning this out in the next five years. Go for it. Like everything else FF related nowadays, I will have no interest in buying it.

So, what would make them creative in making a FF title?

Going back to old school with turn-based or ATB with some twist with tried and true fantasy setting. Is that really what counts as "creative" for you?

Let's not forget that the company IS still putting out non-FF's on consoles and handheld systems, like Drakengard 3 for PS3 or The World Ends With You for DS, or The Last Remnant for 360/PC.

Caelestis

Would only care if it'd really be a prequel about Shuyin and Lenne. Although, I am sure many other people wouldn't agree with this.

Part of the reason an Auron/Braska/Jecht prequel would be amazing is that tragic prequel games *always* kick ass. See: MGS3, KH: Birth By Sleep.

Asd202

So, what would make them creative in making a FF title?

Going back to old school with turn-based or ATB with some twist with tried and true fantasy setting. Is that really what counts as "creative" for you?

Let's not forget that the company IS still putting out non-FF's on consoles and handheld systems, like Drakengard 3 for PS3 or The World Ends With You for DS, or The Last Remnant for 360/PC.

There "creative" games are mostly published and not developed in house and that's weird considering how big SE Japan is.

Sakujou

Banned
iam plain shocked how many people would actually buy this.

i know the shitstorm back then, when ffx-2 was announced and how less people were attracted by stupid teenage-behaving mid 20ies instead of a little bit more of a ff7(that existed even back then)

i lik yuna and rikku. but please... dont bring this back.

i want something like ff9 or ff6. not a sequel but a fresh new entry.

is this so hard to start up or develop???

ASIS

I hope it is more to do with the same setting (Spira) but not the same characters. The original ending is perfect as it was (I'm also pretending FFX-2 didn't happen).

Laconic

Banned

i know the shitstorm back then, when ffx-2 was announced and how less people were attracted by stupid teenage-behaving mid 20ies instead of a little bit more of a ff7(that existed even back then)

On home consoles? Apparently. Fortunately, there is the Ninty 3DS, and Bravely Default.

Famassu

There "creative" games are mostly published and not developed in house and that's weird considering how big SE Japan is.
AFAIK, SE Japan isn't that big. I mean, it's relatively small for a "AAA" developer. That's why they were having so much trouble adapting to HD development (it requires a fuckton more workforce). While it's somewhat normal for, say, Ubisoft to put 600-700 people working on something like Assassin's Creed nowadays and still have plenty of other projects under way, when Square Enix did the same with FFXIV, they had to stop work on & cancel a lot of other projects and could only do stuff like FFXIII-2 at the same time by getting Tri-Ace to help with the game's development. And that said, didn't they also outsource a lot of FFXIV work? So... yeah, SQEX's problem really is that they AREN'T big enough to develop AAA console level projects by their own with the kind of production values people expect from them & console games. As the DS & PSP generation of handhelds prove, they are perfectly fine producing games of that scope with decent pace, but the jump to PS3 and now PS4 level development simply requires a lot more developers than something like TWEWY, BBS and Bravely Default do.

Also, some devs have jumped ship to SQEX after some of those games. For example, some of Jupiter (TWEWY) went on to work for SQEX after TWEWY, if I remember correctly

ah, people in the year 2013 who still think that ff7 was dark and gritty and mature and nuanced and stuff

I loved X and X-2 but think this is a dumb idea. Move onto another FF world and characters. While I could see some buying it, I don't think the demand is really there. Too much time has passed for it to be relevant to a large audience. Look at how how that garbage called FF IV After Years turned out.

Bring back the Dress Sphere and battle system and I'll be there day one. Oh also don't pick up the story from the ending where
Tidus lives. The ending where he stays dead is far better and more emotionally resonant for Yuna's character

Trigger

I hope it is more to do with the same setting (Spira) but not the same characters. The original ending is perfect as it was (I'm also pretending FFX-2 didn't happen).

I'm of the same mind. I liked how X-2 showed a world that was recovering and growing. I don't need to see more of the FFX and X-2 cast.

Aurizen

I dont' know what you could make X-3 about, Auron gone... Aeons gone, Sin is gone...

There's nothing to write about it.

Top Bottom