• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kazushige Nojima (scenario writer) wants Final Fantasy X-3 to happen

HeelPower

A prequel to when bevelle and Zanarkand where at their heights preparing for war.Could be interesting with political intrigue involved leading up to the war.

Also the setting would be great with these two huge cities and new characters.

Or give me Braska's complete journey.

I am one of the people who pretend X-2 never happened ,and I wouldn't want to see it go further.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I dont' know what you could make X-3 about,
Auron gone... Aeons gone, Sin is gone...

There's nothing to write about it.

X-2 finished everything up pretty neatly. I don't what they could do without re-treading old ground.
I agree, there would never be any other non-repeated problems Spira could possibly face that could be told in a compelling format.

For example, after the Mesopotamia war between Umma and Lagash, there were never any other wars on Earth that were worth writing about or had interesting stories within them as they all felt like retreads of that, nor were there any challenges in the peacetime that followed which could be conceptually interesting to follow.

I'd rather the folks over at Square Enix stop getting sidetracked by past glories and focus on trying to release top-quality mainline FF titles at a regular rate of one every two-three years or so. I love X, it's one of my favourite installments in the franchise, but the direct sequel did nothing for it and we don't need another one.

A prequel to when bevelle and Zanarkand where at their heights preparing for war.Could be interesting with political intrigue involved leading up to the war.

Also the setting would be great with these two huge cities and new characters.

Or give me Braska's complete journey.

I am one of the people who pretend X-2 never happened ,and I wouldn't want to see it go further.
I still don't think Braska's journey has enough meat to be it's own game. We know the outcome, so at most, it would be, at most, fitting for a Crisis Core-esque treatment, though even Crisis Core(IMO) fucked up the FFVII world with the shit it introduced.

I DO think there is something they can do with the Bevelle/Zanarkand war, simply because, while we DO know the outcome, everything prior to that CAN be interesting. We can get our first look at the world PRIOR to Sin's creation, the "old world" of great technology and prosperous cities. I think there's MORE room to write something interesting regarding THAT event(because it's simply a MAJOR, world threatening event of proper size for a FF game). I kinda feel the way regarding FFVII's even of Jenova's first coming(where the few Cetra sealed it into the geological stratum thousands of years ago). That, and FFVIII's legend of Vascaroon(which tells the story of the how the humans rose up against Hyne and defeated him).

Then again, I'm not like many fans that only take stock in the popular main characters. The reason why we get shitty sequels is more about the fandom of certain characters rather than interest in the worlds themselves. People want more games with CLOUD, they wanted more games with LIGHTING. They want to see more adventures with their favorite characters. There's nothing wrong with liking a character, but wanting more out of them, especially when their stories are completed, ruins the world. When you think a character's got their happy ending, clamor for a sequel "just because" people want to see more from that character can shoehorn shit into the continuity and development worked so hard to establish in the initial game. I WOULD rather, if a sequel is made, to have it take place in a time frame not to conflict with the initial game's setting and with no appearance of previous characters, just references. Lunar's a great example of how to do it right, IMO. IF they'd set FFX-3 hundreds of years after the events of FFX and FFX-2, I might be able to bite. I doubt that's a option. It will probably take place some time after FFX-2, some new threat will appear and our old heroes(with a few new ones) will have to jump into the fire to battle for the continued stability of their world. Urgh...

TDLink

I would buy it for sure. I love both X and X-2.

Originally, years ago, X-3 was going to be Rikku focused. I wouldn't really mind if that would still be the direction they go, but I would also love a different direction.

I would buy it for sure. I love both X and X-2.

Originally, years ago, X-3 was going to be Rikku focused. I wouldn't really mind if that would still be the direction they go, but I would also love a different direction.
That was really early concept stuff and all of that material got folded into FFX-2, I'm pretty sure.

TDLink

That was really early concept stuff and all of that material got folded into FFX-2, I'm pretty sure.

I know the images you are talking about and I'm pretty sure they were post X-2. Although I think the plan to do a Rikku-focused X-3 was developed around the same time as a Yuna-focused X-2. So now that it has been a decade plans can change. And probably will.

Like I said, I don't really care what it's about, I would buy a X-3. I like Spira and those characters. Even if it was primarily focused on new characters, just with the old characters popping up in some places. I would still take that.

Aurizen

I agree, there would never be any other non-repeated problems Spira could possibly face that could be told in a compelling format.

For example, after the Mesopotamia war between Umma and Lagash, there were never any other wars on Earth that were worth writing about or had interesting stories within them as they all felt like retreads of that, nor were there any challenges in the peacetime that followed which could be conceptually interesting to follow.

Unless they do something crazy like
Overlap the farplane with the world of the living and all the bad guys return and aeons for one final battle.

Grieves

I loved X but with hind sight this is where the series started to nose-dive. Taking away flying the airship on the world map took away a lot of the fun of exploring for me.

X-2, I loved the dress sphere system but pretty much hated everything else about the game.

XIII pretty much killed my hype for the series and I didn't even bother with XIII-2 or LR.

I'm still interested in XV and that might pull me back to the series but I can't see me wanting to go back to Spira anytime soon.

Eusis

Should be a prequel, starring Auron, Jecht, and Yuna's daddy.
Yeah, should be either this or something so far off that the characters are just historical figures and not actually the core playable cast again. Basically develop the world post-Sin, rather than contrive a new thread that happens like 3 months later.

All guy boy band version of X-2.

That'd actually be kinda funny just to see it be an anti-waifu game. No way Toriyama would allow this shit though. With how far off the rails he's gone, I'm sure a X-3 from him would make X-2 look like a masterfully restrained and nuanced masterpiece.

pablito

make it about braska's team and give it ffx-2's battle system and there'd finally be a game in the ffx universe i could probably enjoy for the most part.

A lot of the characters in Final Fantasy games have been designed for "fujoshi" or bishounen fans. (I use fujoshi in quotation marks because I'm not all that fond of tongue-in-cheek self insults) And is only probably surpassed in this demographic by a couple other JRPG franchises like Tales.

This is something that is turning off a lot of male fans of the franchise who want a macho male fantasy and aren't able to relate to many of these bishounen characters. Personally, I'm much more sympathetic to the desires and wants of fujoshi than many of these demanding male fans. Bishounen are quite amazing, anyway. And I wish for many of these male fans to get over the female appeal of many of the characters.

I doubt that Square Enix would be against going for more male appeal in its games. But I fear they're scared to, with how much backlash this creates with male audiences.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I know the images you are talking about and I'm pretty sure they were post X-2. Although I think the plan to do a Rikku-focused X-3 was developed around the same time as a Yuna-focused X-2. So now that it has been a decade plans can change. And probably will.

Like I said, I don't really care what it's about, I would buy a X-3. I like Spira and those characters. Even if it was primarily focused on new characters, just with the old characters popping up in some places. I would still take that.

I thought I read that all the Yuna and Rikku versions were either just early concepts or a rumour. They never really wanted to make two sequels, at least not after they were done with X-2.

A lot of the characters in Final Fantasy games have been designed for "fujoshi" or bishounen fans. (I use fujoshi in quotation marks because I'm not all that fond of tongue-in-cheek self insults) And is only probably surpassed in this demographic by a couple other JRPG franchises like Tales.

This is something that is turning off a lot of male fans of the franchise who want a macho male fantasy and aren't able to relate to many of these bishounen characters. Personally, I'm much more sympathetic to the desires and wants of fujoshi than many of these demanding male fans. Bishounen are quite amazing, anyway. And I wish for many of these male fans to get over the female appeal of many of the characters.

I doubt that Square Enix would be against going for more male appeal in its games. But I fear they're scared to, with how much backlash this creates with male audiences.

I cannot stand it when people complain about that though. We got an entire console generation (one that happened to be longer than previous generations to boot) of Waifu Final Fantasy, and almost every game released by the West stars Mr. Overly-compensating Testosterone Macho Bald Man. Heaven forbid some of the games released from Japan mercilessly force players to play as pretty guys.

So, what would make them creative in making a FF title?

Going back to old school with turn-based or ATB with some twist with tried and true fantasy setting. Is that really what counts as "creative" for you?

Let's not forget that the company IS still putting out non-FF's on consoles and handheld systems, like Drakengard 3 for PS3 or The World Ends With You for DS, or The Last Remnant for 360/PC.
Outsourced game that aren't final fantasy? Excellent point.

A new game, with new mythos, that isn't all about fan service, cup sizes and dlc costumes. If you want that, enjoy. You're sure to get it before I get anything from them, looks like.

SirNinja

Where would they even go.
X-2 finished everything up pretty neatly. I don't what they could do without re-treading old ground.
I dont' know what you could make X-3 about, Auron gone... Aeons gone, Sin is gone...There's nothing to write about it.

Keep in mind that Final Fantasy X, written and produced during a time when a direct FF sequel was unthinkable, also wrapped things up really nicely. X-2 simply introduced new characters, factions, locations, threats, and mysteries, just like any sequel would - and it worked. Plus, if the lead writer behind the two games really wants another game (to the point where he gets Square to produce an audio epilogue that's about double the length of Eternal Calm), then he probably has at least a fairly good idea of where the story will go.

Pringer Lagann

Neo Member
They could always expand on the connection to VII.

fELmR.gif

I'd rather not see X get fucked up even more :v

FFX-3!? I'd play it. Heck, Toriyama's involvement didn't ruin X-2 to me. If Nojima wrote it, I'm sure it would be at least interesting.

Better than another XIII game. DO IT SQUARE.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No longer a SE employee. Responsible for FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, and upcoming FFXV.

If FFX-3 were to happen, I want them to make a prequel. Braska, Auron and Jecht's adventure might be interesting. Certainly more than the lame Yuripa fan-service game.
I used to think that Braska's journey would be the perfect prequel, but we've seen all of its highlights in the spheres from FFX. The war between Zanarkand and Bevelle would be much more interesting, I think.

Although, honestly, I think there's much more room for a sequel.
Maybe they could emphasize that FF7 connection...

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Oh? Care to elaborate? The game ends with
Yuna happy, Tidus alive, Spira stabilized, Lulu's and Wakka's baby being born, Zanarkand being saved from tourist trap hell, and Paine's arc resolved.
. There really isn't much left to explore.

Tidus should of stayed dead. It ruined the emotional weight of the first game. They turned Yuna into a slut. Zanarkand wouldn't have to have been saved from tourist trap hell if this game was never created. Paine's development is about the same as random NPC's during a sidequest. X ended X perfectly. X-2 ruined it.

Aurizen

FFX-3!? I'd play it. Heck, Toriyama's involvement didn't ruin X-2 to me. If Nojima wrote it, I'm sure it would be at least interesting.

Better than another XIII game. DO IT SQUARE.

YEAH! we don't mine Yuna being shoved down our throats instead of lightning :)

HeelPower

The ending of FFX already hinted at Tidus' revival:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPeAseL_LkA&feature=youtu.be&t=13m10s
X-2 simply confirms it by showing us the full cutscene.

No it didn't.Tidus revival makes absolutely no sense according to the world mythos.
He is a product of the fayth.A dream of the fayth produced by his father. just like the aeons and dream zanarkand and he cannot exist independently after the events of FFX and Yuna's final sending.They brought him back to make an artificial happy ending and satisfy mad fangirls. Trivializing FFX in the process.

Please fuck off with this shit, thanks.

Yes they did.She is nothing like her FFX self.

Top Bottom