• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kerbal Space Program |OT| 1.2 Loud and Clear - Comm Networks, New Fuel Flow and More

Crispy75

The administration building should work more like "Perks" than "Skill Points"

Nobody punches the air when their science income goes up by 5%, but if you can unlock some cool new ability, that's much more fun. Off the top of my head

Tree Hugger: Do experiments while flying low and fast for a boost to reputation
Level 1: 2x rep. for <1000m and >300m/s
Level 2: 4x rep. for <500m and >600m/s
etc.

That Way Inclined: Orbit at an angle to the parent body's rotation for an "In Orbit" science boost.
Level 1: 1.2x science for a 30° orbit
Level 2: 1.5x science for a 45° orbit
etc.

Walk A Mile In These Shoes: Earn reputation for long walks on other worlds

I'm sure there could be many more.

Thanks to Vinny and Project BEAST videos, I started playing this after owning it for years. I'm still doing the basic stuff but i don't understand the missions that want me to report while over a site. How do I know where these sites are? I flew into one by chance.

jotun?

Thanks to Vinny and Project BEAST videos, I started playing this after owning it for years. I'm still doing the basic stuff but i don't understand the missions that want me to report while over a site. How do I know where these sites are? I flew into one by chance.

They should show up on your map screen, and I think from there you can set one to show up on your navball

Yeah, he got me back playing again as well. Though, mostly out of frustration of watching him slap together monstrosities in an attempt to brute-force his way to the Mun.

The reporting missions are kind of a pain in the ass. Especially if they're on Kerbin. If they're on the Mun or Minimum you can at least maneuver around relatively easily. Though, I'd just ignore those contracts altogether.

I wouldn't waste too much time with the Kerbin reporting missions unless you want to go the space plane route early on. You can do it with rockets, but you are better off putting your efforts Mun bound. You can get a ton of science from EVA's over Mun and Minmus biomes so I would focus your efforts there.

jotun?

Should I continue to put off playing this game until further updates have released?

that's what I'm doing.. the 1.1 update should be out soonish, and it includes an upgrade to the game engine and a lot of rewritten systems. I don't want to start anything new until that drops

Should I continue to put off playing this game until further updates have released?

Hell no, play now! At this point, any of the tweaks in future patches are likely to be subtle balance tweaks that only seasoned players would notice. Major feature additions are probably another year off if not more. There was a ton of stuff to discover and learn in this game three years ago, let alone the full 1.0 launch this year. If the career mode doesn't feel like it is teaching you enough, don' shy away from youtube videos. The depth of this game is also what makes it so rewarding. If career mode doesn't click, just go to sandbox and go crazy. Once you get that first landing on the Mun, you'll never look back. One of the most satisfying moments in gaming.

that's what I'm doing.. the 1.1 update should be out soonish, and it includes an upgrade to the game engine and a lot of rewritten systems. I don't want to start anything new until that drops

This might change up career progress, but learning the ropes are still going to be the ropes at this point. Learning to get to orbit is not likely going to change in a profound way in the 1.1 update. Career progress might be better (or worse, but hopefully not) but jumping in and learning the basics... you could have done that back in .15 beta and it would still apply today.

Ugh, I spent a couple hours getting an asteroid landed on Kerbin for the first time, but I didn't wait the 10 seconds to qualify for the contract and just recovered the ship soon after landing. Now I have to do it all over again.

I was able to grab another asteroid (much easier the second time around!), but apparently when they say "land" the asteroid on Kerbin, the "land" part is literal. Despite being surprisingly buoyant, gently splashing down an asteroid does not count.

Lol. Oh god. They are utilizing some good tips from comments, but immediately loaded up the save with the fuselage instead of the fuel tank... now to see how long it takes them to realizes this.

hooooo boy. if they used a more efficient engine they'd have gotten Bill home. Also they need to learn about the Oberth effect and when to burn to return from the moon.

Looks like next time they are going to learn about reentry, with a detached Mk3 cockpit. Bring sausages and marshmallows. I don't think they are going to get a rendezvous anytime soon

Yeah, they will get someone back from the Mun far sooner than a rendezvous. Also, fuck those people on the GB comments section who kept saying "go west" not understanding how the navball works. Even though 90 degrees is to the "left" of north on the navball, doesn't make that west. It uses compass headings where North is zero, and then it goes clockwise, which makes East 90 degrees. Don't listen them Vinny, always go East aka 90 degrees on launch! (unless you are trying ro rendezvous with a craft orbiting in the opposite direction)

Man, I really hope they continue these KSP sessions but do some later ones live on Twitch so they can ask chat for help. There are still plenty of challenges for them to overcome even with a helpful dose of real time tips and corrections.

danthefan

Heard the Giant Bomb guys talking about this on their GotY podcasts and I think I'll have to buy it. Knew nothing about it at all but I'm convinced, sounds amazing. Only question is to go with PC or wait for PS4.

PC right?

Heard the Giant Bomb guys talking about this on their GotY podcasts and I think I'll have to buy it. Knew nothing about it at all but I'm convinced, sounds amazing. Only question is to go with PC or wait for PS4.

PC right?

PC for mods and probably more frequent updates. Also personally I can't play this with a controller (not even the Steam controller).

Don't let Jeff's impressions discourage you, the game isn't impenetrable at all. Just follow the in game tutorial and maybe watch a few youtube clips if you are struggling with something.

PC right?

PC for sure. There is nothing even approaching a release date for PS4 and mouse and keyboard makes a lot of it much easier. Also, playing KSP sooner than later is always the answer.

danthefan

PC for mods and probably more frequent updates. Also personally I can't play this with a controller (not even the Steam controller).

Don't let Jeff's impressions discourage you, the game isn't impenetrable at all. Just follow the in game tutorial and maybe watch a few youtube clips if you are struggling with something.

PC for sure. There is nothing even approaching a release date for PS4 and mouse and keyboard makes a lot of it much easier. Also, playing KSP sooner than later is always the answer.

Thanks guys. Tbh Jeff talking about it being impenetrable made it more appealling. I'm on vacation now but as soon as I get home I'll be buying this anyway.

Thanks guys. Tbh Jeff talking about it being impenetrable made it more appealling. I'm on vacation now but as soon as I get home I'll be buying this anyway.

I've never taken Jeff as a guy who is into sandboxy "make-your-own-fun" kind of games, so it doesn't surprise me. Though, he has talked about playing more Elite: Dangerous, which does kind of fall into that category.

I'd be interested in seeing how the console version works, but I'd be very skeptical. I can see building more complex rockets with a controller to be tedious, and for a lot of people modding is extremely important. Personally, I just run with Kerbal Alarm Clock because once you start doing anything outside of Kerbin's SOI in becomes essential (in career mode at least).

Honestly, the touchpad on the DS4 is fairly usable as a touchpad mouse. As long as they make the controls decent in the VAB, and mapping some helpful maneuver node buttons, I think it will be fine with controller. Flying rockets with a controller is good fun.

Wanted to fly Giant Bomb's ship so I recreated it. Landed it pretty close to the spot they did and with the same amount of fuel. Got Bill back to Kerbin safely. Uploaded the ship and save file here so you can try it too (quote to reveal)

I didn't see a heat shield in their vid so be careful trying to land this thing. Also the drogue chutes won't save you

Wanted to fly Giant Bomb's ship so I recreated it. Landed it pretty close to the spot they did and with the same amount of fuel. Got Bill back to Kerbin safely. Uploaded the ship and save file here so you can try it too (quote to reveal)

I didn't see a heat shield in their vid so be careful trying to land this thing. Also the drogue chutes won't save you

That is really cool that you did that. I figured that ship could had enough delta v to make it back to Kerbin. I laughed when I saw them attach the drogue chutes. It is the liquid fuel all over again. If they expanded the part details and took an extra 10 seconds to read the descriptions or stats, they would save a lot of trouble. But I guess that is part of the entertainment value. Seeing that train wreck coming a mile away.

danthefan

So I've bought this on GOG, is doing the tutorials and then career mode the best way to go?

I know there are umpteen online resources and stuff but it seems pointless to have how to get into orbit spelled out rather than figure it out (or at least try) it myself.

So I've bought this on GOG, is doing the tutorials and then career mode the best way to go?

I know there are umpteen online resources and stuff but it seems pointless to have how to get into orbit spelled out rather than figure it out (or at least try) it myself.

If getting to orbit through trial and error (which is definitely fun) is your main objective, I would just jump straight into sandbox and go crazy. It is a little more overwhelming these days because the part list has quadrupled from early beta. The career mode is helpful in the fact that it limits your parts and allows you to really understand the function of each and just how far you can get with basic rocket parts. It is really easy to just pick all the biggest tanks and engines in sandbox and have more delta v than you know what to do with.

There is no wrong way to play the game, and jumping back and forth between sandbox and career mode is easy enough to do. Also, there is a tremendous amount of depth to the game, so even after you get to orbit, it is worth looking at videos to see the exact science and mechanics behind it.

danthefan

If getting to orbit through trial and error (which is definitely fun) is your main objective, I would just jump straight into sandbox and go crazy. It is a little more overwhelming these days because the part list has quadrupled from early beta. The career mode is helpful in the fact that it limits your parts and allows you to really understand the function of each and just how far you can get with basic rocket parts. It is really easy to just pick all the biggest tanks and engines in sandbox and have more delta v than you know what to do with.

There is no wrong way to play the game, and jumping back and forth between sandbox and career mode is easy enough to do. Also, there is a tremendous amount of depth to the game, so even after you get to orbit, it is worth looking at videos to see the exact science and mechanics behind it.

Ok definitely think career mode is what I'll do then. I don't really want to just go trial and error (and I just used orbit as an example really). Once I've gotten enough out of that I'll go for sandbox, I do want to understand what's going on.

Brashnir

Best way to play is to watch project BEAST, and be all, "Fuck, I know I can do this better than you guys, just give me the controller!" and start career mode.

danthefan

I'm still yet to start the game, but would it be possible to recreate the mission from The Martian in this game? I'm sure it would be tricky enough, but possible? Might be something to work towards.

I'm still yet to start the game, but would it be possible to recreate the mission from The Martian in this game? I'm sure it would be tricky enough, but possible? Might be something to work towards.

I've rescued Kerbals from Duna, but without the whole
Earth gravity assist back to Mars
part. I guess it might be possible if you get the timing just right.

There are mods to add life support and more advanced base building material, if you also want to do that part

They way I would see doing it in stock KSP is: (The Martian spoilers in the form of a KSP mission layout below. )

First you need to design all your own MAV ships, Duna base, Pathfinder like rover, Duna rover, and Hermes craft. The timeline of the entire Ares program is unclear in the movie so I don't know when the MAVs, base, rovers, etc were sent to Mars and when the Hermes was built and I assume initially orbited Earth. I also don't know if Hermes brought the Ares IV MAV with it, or only its own Ares III MAV. Since MAV is Mars Ascent Vehicle, I don't know what vehicles they used to land on Mars. I assume just use the MAV for down and up.
1. Land your own Pathfinder-like rover on Duna at lets say site B
2. Land your own Duna base parts and big rover at site A
3. Land MAV 2 (MAV 2 should have more Delta V than MAV 1 to replicate the movie) at site C
4. Launch or build a Hermes in orbit around Kerbin
5. Send Hermes with MAV 1 attached to Duna orbit with 6 Kerbals on board
6. Land MAV 1 at site A at your base with 6 Kerbals
7. Send 5 Kerbals back to Hermes with MAV 1
8. Send Hermes on return trip to Kerbin
9. Go to site B with Matt Kermon using rover on Duna, return to base.
10. Ready resupply probe back on Kerbin, doesn't have to contain supplies, can just be a small craft that you have to dock and attach to Hermes
11. Adjust Hermes orbit for Kerbin encounter / slingshot
11. Launch resupply probe
12. Capture probe with Hermes
13. Plan Hermes return orbit to Duna, but with fly by only, not Duna Orbit
14. Drive Matt Kermon to site C with rover
15. Adjust Hermes orbit as needed
16. Launch Matt Kermon in MAV 2
17. Approach rendevous with Hermes
18. EVA to Hermes and board
19. Send Hermes into Kerbin orbit
20. Land entire crew back on Kerbin with what I assume was some sort of return capsule(s)

You can obviously take this to a whole other level with life support mods. Without mods, you can do things like having only an antenna on the pathfinder that you have to dock your rover with to "contact Kerbin" and you could have battery and solar array modules you could detach and dock with your Duna rover to simulate the added range and battery life to reach site C.

Damn.... this actually sounds pretty fricking awesome to try. I might have to jump into sandbox and give it a go.

danthefan

Cool thanks for that. If the game is as complex as I'm lead to believe then it'll probably be some months before I could even attempt it but it's certainly something I'm going to keep in mind to work towards now. I'll get to play this on Saturday, cannot wait.

Also, got a good laugh from Matt Kermon :)

danthefan

Question about mods - I'm just starting out the game, is there anything I should install at this point or just go with the vanilla game, get some experience, and mod from there?

jotun?

They way I would see doing it in stock KSP is: (The Martian spoilers in the form of a KSP mission layout below. )

First you need to design all your own MAV ships, Duna base, Pathfinder like rover, Duna rover, and Hermes craft. The timeline of the entire Ares program is unclear in the movie so I don't know when the MAVs, base, rovers, etc were sent to Mars and when the Hermes was built and I assume initially orbited Earth. I also don't know if Hermes brought the Ares IV MAV with it, or only its own Ares III MAV. Since MAV is Mars Ascent Vehicle, I don't know what vehicles they used to land on Mars. I assume just use the MAV for down and up.
1. Land your own Pathfinder-like rover on Duna at lets say site B
2. Land your own Duna base parts and big rover at site A
3. Land MAV 2 (MAV 2 should have more Delta V than MAV 1 to replicate the movie) at site C
4. Launch or build a Hermes in orbit around Kerbin
5. Send Hermes with MAV 1 attached to Duna orbit with 6 Kerbals on board
6. Land MAV 1 at site A at your base with 6 Kerbals
7. Send 5 Kerbals back to Hermes with MAV 1
8. Send Hermes on return trip to Kerbin
9. Go to site B with Matt Kermon using rover on Duna, return to base.
10. Ready resupply probe back on Kerbin, doesn't have to contain supplies, can just be a small craft that you have to dock and attach to Hermes
11. Adjust Hermes orbit for Kerbin encounter / slingshot
11. Launch resupply probe
12. Capture probe with Hermes
13. Plan Hermes return orbit to Duna, but with fly by only, not Duna Orbit
14. Drive Matt Kermon to site C with rover
15. Adjust Hermes orbit as needed
16. Launch Matt Kermon in MAV 2
17. Approach rendevous with Hermes
18. EVA to Hermes and board
19. Send Hermes into Kerbin orbit
20. Land entire crew back on Kerbin with what I assume was some sort of return capsule(s)

You can obviously take this to a whole other level with life support mods. Without mods, you can do things like having only an antenna on the pathfinder that you have to dock your rover with to "contact Kerbin" and you could have battery and solar array modules you could detach and dock with your Duna rover to simulate the added range and battery life to reach site C.

Damn.... this actually sounds pretty fricking awesome to try. I might have to jump into sandbox and give it a go.
A few extra details from the book:

- It took 14 unmanned missions to set up the Ares 3 base, including the hab, MAV, rovers, and other supplies.
- The MAV arrives 2+ years before the crew that will use it.
- The MAV doesn't bring a full tank of fuel, it has a fuel plant that creates most of it from elements in the atmosphere over two years. In KSP you could have it mine for the fuel instead.
- When the MAV launches, it leaves behind its descent stage and the fuel plant
- I believe the MAVs get sent separately from the Hermes, but they are manually landed by the prior Ares crew. So when the Ares 3 crew reached Mars orbit, the Ares 4 MAV was in orbit waiting for them, and they piloted it down.
- I don't remember if they did this in the movie too, but there were two rovers, and he made the long trip with both of them linked together

Question about mods - I'm just starting out the game, is there anything I should install at this point or just go with the vanilla game, get some experience, and mod from there?

I don't think mods are required to start, but Kerbal Engineer would probably be my recommendation if you felt like you were at a point that some additional onscreen data would be useful. At least fly a few rockets though before touching mods. Not only to get a feel for the vanilla, but this will also help you understand things down the road when mods break. If you don't really understand what a mod is adding, it might be hard for you to know when it is going wonky.

A few extra details from the book:

- It took 14 unmanned missions to set up the Ares 3 base, including the hab, MAV, rovers, and other supplies.
- The MAV arrives 2+ years before the crew that will use it.
- The MAV doesn't bring a full tank of fuel, it has a fuel plant that creates most of it from elements in the atmosphere over two years. In KSP you could have it mine for the fuel instead.
- When the MAV launches, it leaves behind its descent stage and the fuel plant
- I believe the MAVs get sent separately from the Hermes, but they are manually landed by the prior Ares crew. So when the Ares 3 crew reached Mars orbit, the Ares 4 MAV was in orbit waiting for them, and they piloted it down.
- I don't remember if they did this in the movie too, but there were two rovers, and he made the long trip with both of them linked together

Oh man, that definitely adds to the scope of the mission recreation. Mining rigs are heavy. Having one of those on each MAV descent stage would def up the complexity.

danthefan

So, firstly this thread isn't hugely active so apologies if I seem to be spamming it, but anyway just started the game and I'm having a ball. I'm still in the orbiting tutorials and I'm working on trying to get a somewhat circular orbit every time. I can now reliably enough get into orbit but my apoapsis might be 10 times my periapsis so trying to fix that. Really excited about the possibilities of the game. Trying to not get too deep into online resources/tutorials because I'm just afraid they'll take away from the enjoyment of discovery.

Need to set myself some goals anyway, first I guess would be get to the Mun (I'm sure there's a lot of intermediary steps before getting to that but anyway, very excited about this.

The devs seem quite committed to improving the game too, would I be right in saying that? We can expect more updates and features as time goes on?

Edit - Wahey, Ap of 85km and Pe of 75km, and I knew what I was doing the whole time.

Edit Edit - got to the tutorial where you head out to the Mun, I can do that bit fine but the game suggests you try and land on it then. I'm fairly sure I know what I have to do to land but I never have enough fuel :(

Post as much as you like. The GAFers who do play KSP are always happy to help and talk about the game. The devs have and will continue to support the game post 1.0. Each update since release had brought meaningful changes and I wouldn't be surprised to see some new features added in 2016.

As for goals, once you can consistently orbit Kerbin, head for the Mun or Minmus. I prefer the Mun first since it is more like our own space program. Glad you are having fun. There is so much to explore and experience in KSP

Crispy75

Minmus is much more forgiving for landing on, but achieving rendezvous is much harder due to its small sphere of influence and inclined orbit

danthefan

Ok halp pls.

Trying to do the return from the Mun tutorial and I burn up and explode every single time I reenter the atmosphere. I'm dropping Pe to about 30km and trying to let the atmosphere do the rest but not working at all. Any tips for me please?

Ok halp pls.

Trying to do the return from the Mun tutorial and I burn up and explode every single time I reenter the atmosphere. I'm dropping Pe to about 30km and trying to let the atmosphere do the rest but not working at all. Any tips for me please?

The tutorials might be a little out of date, the vehicle might not have a heat shield. If you click the fuel resources is there an item called Ablator material?

Reentry without a heatshield is still possible but you need to aim for 45-50km perigee

danthefan

The tutorials might be a little out of date, the vehicle might not have a heat shield. If you click the fuel resources is there an item called Ablator material?

Reentry without a heatshield is still possible but you need to aim for 45-50km perigee

Cheers, not at my PC now but I'll check later and go for a higher Pe.

DBT85

I really can't wait to have actual days off work again so I can get back into KSP. Not had any time since it went gold since I've been renovating a house and working at the same time!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Post as much as you like. The GAFers who do play KSP are always happy to help and talk about the game.

I don't post much in the thread but KSP is one of my "go to" games that I regularly dabble in just for pure fun, very similar to Euro Truck or Minecraft or Simcity (now completely replaced by Cities Skylines). One of the games that I constantly keep coming back to when I just want to lose myself in a night of engaging yet relaxing gaming to wind the day down.

That said though I need to actually spend some serious game time with KSP again. I've got satellites flying around, a space station orbiting the Mun and a surface station on Minmus, but I still have not been to Duna or beyond (even after over 120 hours of time with KSP!!!!). Elite Dangerous has been getting the majority of my gaming time lately but I need to make some time to get my Kerbals onto Duna...

I started to rewatch the original Star Wars the other night, and when Leia's ship is being chased by a destroyer, I was like... uhh just burn retrograde and they will fly right past you. I love how much KSP has changed my perception of space fights. They are always portrayed as traditional dog fights like with airplanes in the atmosphere.

fallout

I started to rewatch the original Star Wars the other night, and when Leia's ship is being chased by a destroyer, I was like... uhh just burn retrograde and they will fly right past you. I love how much KSP has changed my perception of space fights. They are always portrayed as traditional dog fights like with airplanes in the atmosphere.
Haha, so true. I've been a big follower of spaceflight all my life, but I never really got it until I started playing KSP.

I actually mostly tune it out when watching movies, but it does irk me when I start hearing people criticizing a movie like Star Wars for not respecting physics, but ignore all of the dogfight stuff being ludicrous.

Haha, so true. I've been a big follower of spaceflight all my life, but I never really got it until I started playing KSP.

I actually mostly tune it out when watching movies, but it does irk me when I start hearing people criticizing a movie like Star Wars for not respecting physics, but ignore all of the dogfight stuff being ludicrous.

Haha. Yeah I would never get mad at a movie for doing anything other than what equates to the best entertainment and drama, but it is fun kind of knowing what makes it more or less believable. Even worthless things like the Destiny loading screens. Why would the ships constantly be burning their engines during the intermediate time between planets? They barrel roll down into the atmosphere like it is Top Gun. Again, doesn't change the game, but funny to see how silly it all is when you start to understand orbital mechanics via KSP

YES!!! Loading it up now.

Top Bottom