• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KFC's Double Down Sandwich looks...interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabsina

I got one of these when I was up in America (I'm from Australia), not as bad as I expected, not great either :lol

Replicant said:
30k7wbs.gif

EDIT: Damn you and your rotating avatars.

I've been thinking of making it static again. Might use the sad Squig one you posted. :p

NYR

Just had one of these, Canada got them a couple of weeks ago.

First off, the meat is extremely tender, I enjoyed it since it was very juicy, warm and very tasy. The cheese and big crunch sauce was over-powering, however, much too salty for my palette. The sauce, while an understandable addition considering the Big Crunch and Twister combos both have them as well, was a bit much for this beast. Overall, though, I enjoyed it, and recommend that everyone try one. I did feel done after 3/4 of the way through one.

Oh, and when we were in line, I joked about how my cell had already pre-dialed 9 and 1, and that someone around me would need to hit the other 1 soon. Got big laughs from other patrons in line. Fuck Yeah.

i ate this when i went to new york a couple months ago because i wanted a real american cultural experience. it wasn't so bad! didn't feel much heavier than, like, a bowl of karaage in japan.

it is without question a terrible creation, but considering i was half-expecting to throw up it turned out to be sort of a pleasant surprise.

SRG01

I tried one the other day in Canada. It was surprisingly dry. The chicken itself wasn't too salty (or greasy), but the cheese was salty as hell. They could've used some other cheese...

All in all, it felt like eating a piece of chicken -- just folded up.

345triangle said:
i ate this when i went to new york a couple months ago because i wanted a real american cultural experience. it wasn't so bad!

I wouldn't call a heart attack a cultural experience.

I actually had one a few weeks back. Smaller than expected, and was too salty but otherwise okay.

segarr

Why can't everything just be separated and put on a plate like a regular meal? This is like taking your Thanksgiving stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, etc. and slapping it all between 2 slices of turkey breasts, then calling it a sandwich. ''The Thanksgiving Double Down.'' Give me a break.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sandwiches are easy to make and to eat.

Turkey dinner on a plate not so much.

segarr said:
Why can't everything just be separated and put on a plate like a regular meal? This is like taking your Thanksgiving stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, etc. and slapping it all between 2 slices of turkey breasts, then calling it a sandwich. ''The Thanksgiving Double Down.'' Give me a break.

Somewhere, a KFC executive just cocked his head like a dog hearing something off in the distance.

Owensboro

Through (not so)extensive research I have determined that how good the Double Down tastes directly relates to how fresh it is. I've had around 5, and by far the best one (and the one that made me get the last 3) was the one where I had to wait 5 minutes for them to cook fresh chicken. This thing is glorious when hot and fresh.

When it has been sitting around under a heat lamp though, it's a different story. In fact, it tastes pretty disgusting when just lukewarm. Perhaps that's a blessing though. If it was always as good as that fresh one then I'm sure I would have had 20+ by now.

segarr

Owensboro said:
Through (not so)extensive research I have determined that how good the Double Down tastes directly relates to how fresh it is. I've had around 5, and by far the best one (and the one that made me get the last 3) was the one where I had to wait 5 minutes for them to cook fresh chicken. This thing is glorious when hot and fresh.

When it has been sitting around under a heat lamp though, it's a different story. In fact, it tastes pretty disgusting when just lukewarm. Perhaps that's a blessing though. If it was always as good as that fresh one then I'm sure I would have had 20+ by now.

Oh yeah, just about all fast food is like that. I would pay extra for them to fry it all up right there on the spot after I order. It's so much better tongue-burning hot and still sizzling.

segarr said:

Because when it's all on one sandwich it's great, but just a couple of pieces of chicken, a couple of pieces of bacon and a couple of slices of cheese individually on a plate would make a bizarre looking meal.

segarr

rainking187 said:
Because when it's all on one sandwich it's great, but just a couple of pieces of chicken, a couple of pieces of bacon and a couple of slices of cheese individually on a plate would make a bizarre looking meal.
True. They already sell dinner platters as well. I'm just not in the market for this. I guess it's a dinner or lunch on-the-go but I hate getting my hands greasy.

segarr said:
True. They already sell dinner platters as well. I'm just not in the market for this. I guess it's a dinner or lunch on-the-go but I hate getting my hands greasy.

You don't have to touch the sandwich to eat it, its surrounded in plastic with a gap in the front for the sandwich to peak out.

segarr

funkmastergeneral said:
You don't have to touch the sandwich to eat it, its surrounded in plastic with a gap in the front for the sandwich to peak out.
I'm trying to come up with any conceivable reason not to try this and you're making it very difficult!

segarr said:
I'm trying to come up with any conceivable reason not to try this and you're making it very difficult!

I'd really recommend taking that wrapper off though. I've accidentally eaten part of it twice.

BobTheFork said:
When the hell is someone going to wrap one of these bad boys in bacon and re-fry it?
I'm waiting....

edit: Also, just looking at this sandwich right now makes me even happier I've lost 30 pounds.

Medalion

Banned
I just had my first Double Down sandwich here in Canada

Fuckin A, I'm sure the one I had wasn't even the best representation of that sandwich but it was still fucking great.

Two pieces of boneless chicken breast original reciple as buns, cheese/bacon, zesty mayo sauce.

Yes, baby yes!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
segarr said:
Hmmmmmmmmm...............

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So KFCs in the Philippines now have Double Downs, though only in selected areas so far (thankfully the Antipolo branch in front of Shopwise Antipolo has it). It costs 100 pesos for the a la carte and 128 with fixin' and drink.

Not bad actually. It actually looks... delicious... in their serving.

And you know what's good? You can couple each fillet with rice! So essentially you literally have a viand for your rice!

big_z

^

that cheese looks different than the one i had. mine was some sort of spicy white cheese.

anyway the double down tastes like salt and not much more. some times you can briefly taste the chicken coming through but then the salt hits you again. it's disgusting but i think if they could reduce the salt by about half it would be pretty decent.... lower the price too.

dammit now i want some chick.

Sean

Banned
Thai said:
here's what my cheesy, salty mess looked like, NOT worth it:

What you say is true (it's salty as fuck) but your KFC fucked up the recipe probably making it taste extra bad. It's supposed to be montery jack and pepper jack cheese, while yours just has a slice of american cheese.

It seems like my KFC already got rid of the Double Down and replaced it with a "Doublicious" sandwich. Same ingredients as the double down but one chicken patty on a regular sandwich bun.

Pakkidis

How anybody could look at this and then actually it is well beyond my comprehension. Then again I'm still trying to figure out why people smoke.

DonMigs85

Pakkidis said:
How anybody could look at this and then actually it is well beyond my comprehension. Then again I'm still trying to figure out why people smoke.
Nicotine addiction, helps control appetite, calms the nerves, etc. Not that I do it though.

lunarworks said:
I tried one a couple of week ago.

I wasn't impressed.

It was way too salty, and the sauce they used was not very tasty.
When is Japan going to freak one of these sandwich's out? They need to take 8 double downs, arrange them symmetrically, roll the whole this up in a fried shell and call the 'Cell processor double down'.

expy

Banned
Sean said:
What you say is true (it's salty as fuck) but your KFC fucked up the recipe probably making it taste extra bad. It's supposed to be montery jack and pepper jack cheese, while yours just has a slice of american cheese.

It seems like my KFC already got rid of the Double Down and replaced it with a "Doublicious" sandwich. Same ingredients as the double down but one chicken patty on a regular sandwich bun.
Kraft Canada most likely. Not American cheese.

linkboy

Sean said:

Its actually not a regular sandwich bun, its a Hawaiian bun, which has a sweeter taste.

I had a Doublicious last night and it was pretty good

Still after all this time people are banging on about it being Heart attack food :lol there are less calories than a big mac or something similar, Cant see how its any worse than a 3 piece chicken meal either but hey! the Uk still hasn't got it :(

I predict it'll be like the McRib, reappearing from time to time amongst much excitement. Otherwise, the novelty would wear off, and no one would care about it after a few months.

Had a home-made version using tescos stuff as KFC Uk will never make it here :(
2 southern fried chicken fillets, 2 slices of chilli cheese, 4 bits of bacon. It was lush but hard as hell to eat as I didn't have any kitchen towel or the like :lol

123rl

I had one last Summer in Virginia. It's nice but it gave me chest pains afterwards. Legitimate chest pains for about 4 hours!

DonMigs85

123rl said:
I had one last Summer in Virginia. It's nice but it gave me chest pains afterwards. Legitimate chest pains for about 4 hours!
All that sodium must have affected your heart and blood pressure. Better have it checked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom