• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KFC's Double Down Sandwich looks...interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
is it real american cheese at least? or are we talking about some cheese that is processed to an even greater degree, so we can stop beating up on the wonders of the awesome original that goes on my grilled cheese?

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
beelzebozo said:
is it real american cheese at least? or are we talking about some cheese that is processed to an even greater degree, so we can stop beating up on the wonders of the awesome original that goes on my grilled cheese?

I couldnt even taste the cheese. Your mostly getting chicken flavor and thats it. the bacon on mine was extremely small. Wendys does better on there Jr bacon cheeseburgers lol.

kamspy

beelzebozo said:

It tastes like the most generic Kraft Single ever produced. There is no redeeming value in anything other than the chicken. Maybe get BBQ sauce and no col sauce and no cheese. Might be slightly more edible that way. Maybe even their awful buffalo sauce.

Anything is better than that cheese and sauce though. Anything.

NJ Shlice

Okay, this thread made me just go out and try this sandwich.

I got the fried version, a medium diet coke and two biscuits. (I didn't eat the biscuits.) Everything came to about $7.50 (New Jersey.)

I hesitated to try this sandwich up until now because I thought it looked like it had too much going on and with no bread to soften the taste it was going to be too much.

I enjoyed the sandwich very very much. Between the sauce, cheese, spices, etc. the sandwich had a kick to it. But I couldn't put it down. It was very filling and I didn't even touch the biscuits I bought with it. The cut of chicken was very meaty and at times hard to get both sides in my mouth, much like it is pictured in the commercial. But that didn't stop me from doing a Guy Fieti dig-in to make sure I got the whole thing in one bite. The chicken also had a nice crispyness to it also.

All in all I loved it and I will definitely get it again.

daw840

So I finally tried one of these. Let me say, delicious. Although, it felt like I was being dried up by salt like a slug...

Zyzyxxz

NJ Shlice said:
Okay, this thread made me just go out and try this sandwich.

I got the fried version, a medium diet coke and two biscuits. (I didn't eat the biscuits.) Everything came to about $7.50 (New Jersey.)

I hesitated to try this sandwich up until now because I thought it looked like it had too much going on and with no bread to soften the taste it was going to be too much.

I enjoyed the sandwich very very much. Between the sauce, cheese, spices, etc. the sandwich had a kick to it. But I couldn't put it down. It was very filling and I didn't even touch the biscuits I bought with it. The cut of chicken was very meaty and at times hard to get both sides in my mouth, much like it is pictured in the commercial. But that didn't stop me from doing a Guy Fieti dig-in to make sure I got the whole thing in one bite. The chicken also had a nice crispyness to it also.

All in all I loved it and I will definitely get it again.

I see you are watching your weight. POST HOT PICS OF YOURSELF NAO!

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Sorry to bump the topic, but I finally tried this thing. I mean, for seven bucks, its not that much sandwich. I got it from the KFC in NY Penn Station (always a bad idea) and I ate it on the train. I then fell asleep, even while I was drinking a coffee, and almost missed my stop. 2 hours later and I'm hungry again. Overall a negative grade.

Had one yetserday.

DELICIOUS.

Kind of pricey though, $5 just for the sandwich. Tasted amazing though, idk what the sauce they put on it is but it's good stuff. Filling too.

Christopher

:lol

You know I saw the commerical for this the other day and it actually made me think of this thread where you guys saw the sandwhich before it even hit the market, and we judged it on how fatty it was.

I still wouldn't touch it - although I must say it does look quite tasty :)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
beelzebozo said:
"Real American Cheese" is inherently an awkward, internally inconsistent statement.

The sandwich is delicious. It's not worth what it costs, however.

GhaleonEB

beelzebozo said:
It's not American cheese, but it is the very heavily processed variety.

KFC makes their ingredients a little tricky to chase down, but here's the master ingredient list: http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/pdf/kfc_ingredients_apr10.pdf

And the components of the regular Double Down, followed by their ingredients. The "Colonel’s Sauce" sounds especially horrifying, and I generally don't eat cheese that has water in the ingredient list.

Double Down
KFC® Original Recipe® Filet, Colonel’s Sauce, Bacon, Pepper Jack Cheese, Monterey Jack Cheese

KFC® Original Recipe® Filet
Fresh, Boneless Chicken Breast Filets, Rice Starch, Soy Protein Concentrate, Salt, Sodium Phosphates and Monosodium Glutamate. Breaded With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Spices, and Garlic Powder. Battered With: Water, Wheat Flour, Tapioca Dextrin, High Amylose Corn Starch, Nonfat Dry Milk, Dried Whey, Dextrose, and Dried Egg Whites. Predusted With: Wheat Flour, Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Spices, Nonfat Dry Milk, Dried Whey, Dried Egg Whites, and Garlic Powder. Breading Set in Low Trans Fat Oil (RDB) Soybean or Corn/Soy Blend With or Without TBHQ.

Colonel’s Sauce
Soybean Oil, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Egg Yolk, Sugar, Salt, Modified Corn Starch, Paprika, Xanthan Gum, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Chicken Broth, Garlic Powder, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Potassium Sorbate, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Soy Sauce (Soybean, Wheat, Salt), Natural Flavor, Chicken Fat, Dehydrated Chicken and Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten.

Bacon
Cured with Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphates, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite, May Also Contain Smoke Flavoring

Pepper Jack Cheese Slice
Milk, Water, Cheese Culture, Cream, Green and Red Jalapeno Peppers, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Vinegar, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Natural Flavor, Calcium Chloride, Acetic Acid, Soy Lecithin and Enzymes.

Monterey Jack Cheese Slice
Cultured Milk & Skim Milk, Water, Cream, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Sodium Phosphate, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), Lactic Acid, Enzymes, Artificial Color & Soy Lecithin.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just ate one. Waaaaayyyy too salty. Washing out the taste now with a Heineken.

I think if I were to order two pieces if chicken and then cook my own bacon and insert my own melted cheese, it would taste a lot better.

we survived!

32130_1315541692945_1362780043_30831612_3906930_n.jpg

Snaku

Banned
Mr Sandman said:
Finally had one of these a while ago. Fucking delicious. I had the crispy one. Didn't quite fill me up, but yummy nonetheless.

You wouldn't by any chance be a tiger shark, would you?

JGS

Banned
I finally ate one and it was tasty, but I was missing the bread. A biscuit would have been nice. It filled me up so much at lunch that I didn't eat anything else for the day. Two boneless breast is a big meal.

JGS said:
I finally ate one and it was tasty, but I was missing the bread. A biscuit would have been nice. It filled me up so much at lunch that I didn't eat anything else for the day. Two boneless breast is a big meal.

Tiger sharks/gaf posters disagree sir.

freshair

I split a double-down with my friend. Didn't feel like consuming the whole thing :lol

All in all, quite tasty! A bit greasy though.

tumblr_l2hlv3t9RA1qbvsrio1_500.jpg

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Oh ya. I finally had one of these. Two in fact. They're good! The first one I had was fresh out of the deep fryer. It was huge, juicy, and delicious. They even threw in complimentary fries to go along with the mashed potatoes. Second one I had was smaller but still delicious. Overall, not nearly as daunting as it seemed from the hype. It didn't fill me up like I was expecting and I didn't feel 'sick' or anything like that after - I'm perfectly healthy so I wasn't too worried about indulging in all that sodium once or twice. The cheese was kinda messy/nasty but not a deal breaker - I took off what I felt was superfluous. Only thing that surprised me is that no one else in line was ordering what I ordered, haha. I don't eat at KFC that often, but I'd go back for seconds... thirds of this chickenwich.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Great cheat meal for somone like me watching carbs and calories. Got the grilled version for my afternoon meal. It's about 460 calories with very little carbs. So damn good but jesus the sodium must be off the charts. Luckily I drink about 150 oz's of water a day.

rexor0717

I had one, and I liked it. I definitely won't want another one for a while, but there will come a time when I desire a double-down.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
http://www.marketwire.com/press-rel...es-Double-Down-on-October-18-2010-1331226.htm
KFC Canada Introduces Double Down on October 18, 2010

"Double Down has so much 100 per cent, premium seasoned chicken, we didn't have room for a bun," explains Dan Howe, Chief Marketing Officer

"Canadians have been begging KFC Canada to bring the Double Down North of the border ever since it launched in the U.S. last year," confirms Howe. "In fact, 64 per cent of Canadians agree KFC should bring the Double Down to Canada. And, while 90 per cent think other Canadians will want to try Double Down; only about 45 per cent report they have what it takes to Take Down the Double Down."

"Double Down is delicious, but we know it's not for everyone," says Howe. "It's an occasional indulgence that Canada has a hunger for, which is why we're introducing it for a limited time, until November 14th."

The press release is fun to read in the "Snap into a Slim Jim!" guy's voice.

tumblr_l9y35seHIX1qa0khao1_400.gif

G-Fex

TOM f'N CRUISE said:
had one a while back ago and i think its over rated......i mean common...like $4:75 for 2 peaces of chicken. it taste good but not that good

It's delicious, go eat your popcorn chicken.

I tried it months ago around the time this thread was first posted. The Double Down was decent but no where near good enough to warrant the fat content. I haven't had one since.

UFRA

I just wanna say I'm addicted to this sandwich. Since its arrival, I've probably had it around 20+ times. :lol

I've also reduced my life by 12 years. Haven't gained any weight though, I'm too active for that. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom