• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KFC's Double Down Sandwich looks...interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Vyer said:
The KFC exec who had the idea to market people into buying a double chicken sandwhich while saving money on bread is a genius. Hope he got a hell of a raise.

Does bread even cost anything significant? That's the kind of stuff restaurants hand out for free, both because it doesn't cost much, and the spike in insulin increases hunger and therefore sales.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Went to activate my card at an ATM and it's telling me my PIN is wrong, so I couldn't get one of these. Their "24 hour" hotline says their closed, while FX is mocking me my telling me about the Double Down and promoting it during Super Bad.

-viper-

Banned
Vyer said:
The KFC exec who had the idea to market people into buying a double chicken sandwhich while saving money on bread is a genius. Hope he got a hell of a raise.
Is bread cheaper than meat?

-viper- said:
Is bread cheaper than meat?
It can be a big expense for a restaurant, and in many cases no it's not cheaper.
I imagine if you are KFC and you sell far more chicken than bread than even more so. You make more money on the sandwich this way.

YES.

I just had a half bakes half grilled double down sandwich and it was good.

12300_391188332670_727782670_4611521_864412_n.jpg

Gamer @ Heart said:
YES.

I just had a half bakes half grilled double down sandwich and it was good.
I swear every single pictures of this people post makes it look half the size it looks on TV. For what you pay, I want a big ass sandwich.

sphagnum

Banned
Just had it today. I don't think I've ever had something before that was so disgusting and so delicious at the same time.

BobTheFork said:
I swear every single pictures of this people post makes it look half the size it looks on TV. For what you pay, I want a big ass sandwich.

I thought it would be small too, but it's surprisingly pretty filling. I can normally eat a Variety Box meal thing with a twister wrap and I got full off one Double Down.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
BobTheFork said:
It is like, two filets of chicken dude. It's big enough.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
It is like, two filets of chicken dude. It's big enough.
yeah, but look at the pic right above us. It looks like he could close his hand completely around the sandwich, like the was two half chick breast.

nomster

I don't get the complaints about price. This is probably the highest protein to dollar ratio of any fast food sandwich on the market. Buns and lettuce don't cost anything, you shouldn't be getting a discount because they leave them out.

way more

KFC's Stunts Make Nightly News but Don't Stop Sales Slide

Although KFC remains the largest player in the growing segment of fast-food chicken, its share continues to drop, according to Technomic. KFC's market share tumbled six full points since 2005 to 30% in 2009, while the category grew from $14.5 billion to $16.1 billion.

Ever-growing threats? Brands such as Chick-fil-A. The much-smaller chain, at least by locations, has built a cult-like following with high-quality sandwiches, better-for-you options, excellent service and clean stores.

Branding consultant Denise Lee-Yohn noted that, for KFC, trumpeting grilled chicken and then promoting products like the Double Down may have muddied the brand. "They don't have a clear identity anymore, and I think that's hurt them," she said.
http://adage.com/article?article_id=143359

The writing is on the wall. Eat your sinking ship while I'm munching on Chick-Fil-A. Just kidding. The economics and marketing trends should be given fuck-all consideration when you are eating. Like when you order pasta at a restaurant and some poindexter goes, "you know they make this biggest profit on those dishes." What am I, their fucking accountant? What do I care.

I'm just mentioning this because when I was getting Chick-Fil-A in a food court the line was a steady 30 deep while everything else was empty.

EGM92

I don't know if it's been asked, but are these available in Canada?

I'm thinking about giving myself a heart attack and this might be the easiest way to do it.

Ugh, ate one for lunch and for the past 30 minutes I've felt like a heartattack was coming on.. also the burning hot oil inside burned the fuck out of my lip - instant blister action. Can't believe I wasted 8 bucks for a combo.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I tried the Double Down over the weekend. It was fucking nasty. I could feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it. I was only able to choke down half of it. Thank God I ordered it without the "Colonel's special sauce" (some kind mayo based shit, yecch).

Ferrio

Banned
sw33tclyde said:
Ugh, ate one for lunch and for the past 30 minutes I've felt like a heartattack was coming on.. also the burning hot oil inside burned the fuck out of my lip - instant blister action. Can't believe I wasted 8 bucks for a combo.

richiek said:
I tried the Double Down over the weekend. It was fucking nasty. I could feel my arteries clogging just thinking about it. I was only able to choke down half of it. Thank God I ordered it without the "Colonel's special sauce" (some kind mayo based shit, yecch).

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I could feel my heart stop after I took one my bite!!

Ya two pieces of fried chicken and some bacon, you guys are as good as dead....

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Ferrio said:
Mine was the joke, dude. Chill, I can actually eating a sandwich without engaging in a soap opera of anatomical proportions.

Snaku

Banned
I finally ate one about an hour ago. So f'n delicious, but I'll never eat it agian. I could feel myself dying a little with each bite.

lljride

I really want to try this but the stories of 10-20 minute wait times are making me hold off. The only KFC around me is by work, and I'm not exactly thrilled about spending up to 20 min waiting when I just want to run out for fast food.

Jewbacca

Banned
Okay why do people alter sandwhiches the first time they order them rather than trying them how they are supposed to be served. I mean I understand if you dislike tomatoes, or lettuce, or some condiment, but you dont even know what the sauce is... its not like it will soak into the BREAD and ruin the meal.

GET THE SAUCE TARDS. If you try something new try it how they want you to try it, do go fuck it up and subtract the cheese or sauce or add bbq. Failures..

That said I liked it, and the sauce had a lot to do with all the flavors giving me a mouth orgasm.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Jewbacca said:
Okay why do people alter sandwhiches the first time they order them rather than trying them how they are supposed to be served. I mean I understand if you dislike tomatoes, or lettuce, or some condiment, but you dont even know what the sauce is... its not like it will soak into the BREAD and ruin the meal.

GET THE SAUCE TARDS. If you try something new try it how they want you to try it, do go fuck it up and subtract the cheese or sauce or add bbq. Failures..

That said I liked it, and the sauce had a lot to do with all the flavors giving me a mouth orgasm.

Geez, I guess you've never heard of "Have it Your Way" huh?

And my friends who ordered the Double Down with the sauce confirmed that it's mayo based.

Jewbacca said:

I did have it the original way the first time I had it. I only dipped mine in my mashed potato and gravy after I was halfway through the DD and towards the end, since there was so little left, I ate it with the potatoes.

The second time, I was curious as to what it tasted like covered in BBQ sauce, so that's when I decided to try it - as I had already had the original version. The sauce, to me, cut down on the saltiness of the overall DD. Plus it added some sweet and spice.

Last night, I had half of the DD plain and the other half dipped in BBQ sauce. Either way is good with me.

Ferrio said:

I admit I was being overly dramatic, but I actually felt ill for over an hour after eating it. Luckily it was 420 and I had a blunt waiting to be smoked, so I wasn't too bad off. I just wanted to warn GAF that this thing isn't all it's hyped up to be. For over 5 bucks + tax($7+ if you get the combo) you can eat a helluva lot better than the two pieces of chicken stuck together with mayo, bacon and cheese they give ya.

If you're really craving fast food chicken, go to Chik-fil-A. Their chicken actually tastes like chicken instead of salt..

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Had one about 20 minutes ago. First KFC I have had in months. It was amazingly delicious in a bad way.

I feel like crap now.

:lol

Vinci

Danish
My wife and I bought these for ourselves last night for dinner and we had the exact same reaction: "That's it?" I think you people are overhyping these damn things way too much. They're going to be the GTA IV of the fast food industry at this rate.

Dresden

jakncoke said:
had one the other day, awesome. They should come out with a triple down or even more downs. quad down anyone?:D
Why not wrap each filet in bacon weave before frying it again, while you're at it.

dojokun

Banned
twinturbo2 said:
Has anyone died from a heart attack eating that thing yet?
Ya know, for all the bad rep this sandwich gets in terms of health, it's really not any fattier than two chicken sandwiches, one of which with bacon and cheese. And it doesn't have the bread so it's less carbs than those two sandwiches.

Aesius

Had one the other night. Was only planning on ordering the sandwich and a water, but ended up with the $8.22 combo after my g/f said she wanted mashed potatoes.

I polished off the sandwich pretty quickly (it was fucking glorious), and then had to eat the rest of the potatoes as well. Then my friend decided he didn't want his two biscuits and mac-n-cheese, so I ate that too. Then I washed it all down with a large Pepsi.

I don't regret a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom