• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KFC's Double Down Sandwich looks...interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirty

Banned
Had one yesterday and didn't like it. I didn't mind the chicken patties but the bacon, cheese, n sauce middle were just way too salty for my taste, and I like flavorful food.

Arment

Just went and bought one...impression forthcoming.

Shit was good, but probably won't buy it again unless I'm stoned and have extra cash. Was 5.49 at my KFC. All the people saying its salty are correct, but mmmm salt.

zero_suit said:
It's only 540 calories.

"But calorie counts are overrated. We all need to eat, to the tune of about 2,000 calories per day for a healthy adult. It's not the calories so much as what you do with them. Are you getting a lot of fat, cholesterol, and sodium (bad)? Or lots of fiber and vitamins instead? Here, the Double Down's credentials are more impressive. Those 540 calories contain 145 milligrams of cholesterol (more than twice that of the Big Mac and about half of the USDA's daily allowance) -- along with 1,380 milligrams of sodium (the USDA recommends no more than 2,400 per day) and 32 grams of fat (65 will keep you slim, says the government). So, for getting only about one-quarter of the calories that you need in a day, you're exhausting about half your budget of "bad stuff"."

FiveThirtyEight on the double down

Not the worst but still high up there.

kamspy

richiek said:
And my friends who ordered the Double Down with the sauce confirmed that it's mayo based.

That's being generous. I was curious about it when I was eating a dub dizzle today. The only thing I can say for sure is that the sauce is indeed sauce based. And either pepper or dirt, I couldn't quite decipher.

The cheese is of the Kraft singles / Velveeta variety. For me, it's real cheese or pure liquid nacho sauce. There's no middle ground. So a big meh there too.

Overall, I finished the beast and it wasn't awful (it's not hardee's boss burger), but I won't be buying one again.

I was really hoping the sauce was the now defunct Zinger sauce. The Zinger Triple Crunch was truly one of the finest moments in chicken sandwichery.

projekt84

mac said:
http://adage.com/article?article_id=143359

The writing is on the wall. Eat your sinking ship while I'm munching on Chick-Fil-A. Just kidding. The economics and marketing trends should be given fuck-all consideration when you are eating. Like when you order pasta at a restaurant and some poindexter goes, "you know they make this biggest profit on those dishes." What am I, their fucking accountant? What do I care.

I'm just mentioning this because when I was getting Chick-Fil-A in a food court the line was a steady 30 deep while everything else was empty.

Chic-Fil-A is godlike. I could really go for some right now actually. Mmm.

Annihilator said:
wow according to that blog and chart. the grilled version is actually worse than the original recipe one. that's a shocker i really had no idea.

To be honest, I believe that unless you're grilling something yourself - after knowing exactly what you you've been cooking with, the "healthier" version of something from a chain restaurant is usually going to be worse than the original version.

Thus, whenever I get a Double Down, it'll usually be original rather than grilled.

Belfast

projekt84 said:
Chic-Fil-A is godlike. I could really go for some right now actually. Mmm.

Seriously. I miss them living on the West Coast now, though they're starting to pop up. If the death of KFC can ensure a Chik-Fil-A in my area, that's just fine with me!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this. . . this is not a sandwich. this is a low-rent version of chicken cordon bleu.

like the oreo double-stuf, i think this completely misses the point of the food on which it is riffing.

Costanza

Banned
Anyone see this?

2 fried chicken breasts at 360 calories, 21 grams of fat each, comes to – 720 calories and 42 grams…

2 x 1 oz slice of “Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese” at 100 calories, 9 grams of fat each, comes to 200 calories and 18 grams fat…

1 squirt of sauce 100 calories and 10 grams of fat (even by KFC’s calculations) and the Double Down is hit twice as you can see in the picture, comes to 200 calories and 20 grams fat…

2 strips bacon, equals 70 calories and 6 grams of fat…

For a grand total of 1190 calories and 86 grams of fat!

According to KFC a single filet sandwich with sauce is 480 calories and 24 grams of fat. Even their own math isn’t working.

Calorie and fat information via CalorieCount.

jenov4

I had one over the weekend after my marathon. The sandwich is good, but it's got waaay too much salt, and you can't taste the bacon either. Everyone in line was ordering this sandwich. :lol

Ferrio

Banned
The Luther KFC Double Down. A KFC Double Down sandwiched between two glazed donuts.

tumblr_l1c0r3l9QW1qzvnxpo1_500.jpg

Aesius

2 fried chicken breasts at 360 calories, 21 grams of fat each, comes to – 720 calories and 42 grams…

2 x 1 oz slice of “Monterey Jack and pepper jack cheese” at 100 calories, 9 grams of fat each, comes to 200 calories and 18 grams fat…

1 squirt of sauce 100 calories and 10 grams of fat (even by KFC’s calculations) and the Double Down is hit twice as you can see in the picture, comes to 200 calories and 20 grams fat…

2 strips bacon, equals 70 calories and 6 grams of fat…

For a grand total of 1190 calories and 86 grams of fat!

According to KFC a single filet sandwich with sauce is 480 calories and 24 grams of fat. Even their own math isn’t working.

Calorie and fat information via CalorieCount.

Fuck. That means I easily ate over 2,000 calories when I had mine (ate mashed potatoes, two biscuits and macaroni and cheese with it.)

I feel fat.

aoi tsuki

Had one a couple days ago. Pretty much what i expected, too much meat and too salty. If this was a double chicken sandwich with a lettuce-tomatoes-onions then it along with the would've balanced the meat in saltiness and proportion. The bacon was barely even there, and i couldn't tell you what the sauce was. i thought it was just mayo.

Completely underwhelming, especially for six bucks for the sandwich alone.

NomarTyme

Aesius said:
Fuck. That means I easily ate over 2,000 calories when I had mine (ate mashed potatoes, two biscuits and macaroni and cheese with it.)

I feel fat.
You were better off eating 2 double downs. Carb overload.

Ripenen

Costanza said:
Anyone see this?

I don't think that person added it up correctly. Going by the nutritional value KFC lists for a fried chicken breast is not correct for the double down because the chicken breast patties on the double down are considerably smaller than the on-the-bone breasts you get in a bucket of chicken.

There's a ton of way unhealthier foods that are wildly popular, so it seems kind of silly to get all disgusted by this thing. The KFC marketing department has be loving all this free internet publicity. I'm curious to see what the success of this sandwich will inspire KFC and its competitors to come up with next.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Ferrio said:
The Luther KFC Double Down. A KFC Double Down sandwiched between two glazed donuts.

nutritionally equal to actually eating luther vandross

Naked Prime said:
the brain

"are you thinking what i'm thinking, pinky?"
"i think so brain. but where are we going to get the coronary stents?"

Jak140

I had one; it was ok, but too salty and tastes better if you add barbecue and hot sauce. Don't see myself trying it again. All the people saying they could feel their heart exploding or whatever are either lying or extremely suggestible. If you've eaten a two piece fried chicken meal before it's the same friggin' thing, but edible with one hand. Oh no! The Earl of Sandwich put two slices of bread around a piece of meat, I think I'm gonna have a coronary!

Jak140 said:
I had one; it was ok, but too salty and tastes better if you add barbecue and hot sauce. Don't see myself trying it again. All the people saying they could feel their heart exploding or whatever are either lying or extremely suggestible. If you've eaten a two piece fried chicken meal before it's the same friggin' thing, but edible with one hand. Oh no! The Earl of Sandwich put two slices of bread around a piece of meat, I think I'm gonna have a coronary!

Yeah dude I lied about feeling sick after eating one just to get GAF's collective goat. *rolls eyes*

I don't regularly eat fast food so maybe that contributed to my ill reaction, or perhaps the potato wedges were bad or something of that sort - regardless I felt sick after eating the shit and I posted to counter the hype.

dealwithit.gif

Jak140

sw33tclyde said:
Yeah dude I lied about feeling sick after eating one just to get GAF's collective goat. *rolls eyes*

I don't regularly eat fast food so maybe that contributed to my ill reaction, or perhaps the potato wedges were bad or something of that sort - regardless I felt sick after eating the shit and I posted to counter the hype.

dealwithit.gif
I almost never eat fast food and I didn't say anything about people who said it made them felt sick. Eating one is not going to stop anyone's heart, though; that's your imagination taking over.

Darkatomz

Is this 'sandwich' really too much for people to stomach? I had my first one today, it was REALLY good. Salty, as most here have said, but really tasty. But really, I would probably have been just as satisfied if they used one chicken patty and put it between bread like all their other sandwiches.

I'd eat another one. Now, time to hit the pool.

Love how people are like "it's only 500 some calories". Jesus think of the insane fat content.

Costanza said:
Anyone see this?

Yup, and it really makes no sense that it's only 500 some calories... it's pretty much impossible. The posted calculation sounds much more accurate.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
BattleMonkey said:
Love how people are like "it's only 500 some calories". Jesus think of the insane fat content.

Yup, and it really makes no sense that it's only 500 some calories... it's pretty much impossible. The posted calculation sounds much more accurate.
The good thing is that it's not: that calculation was debunked.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Wow @ the nutrition talk in this thread. A grilled double down does not have a scary nutritional profile.

"But calorie counts are overrated. We all need to eat, to the tune of about 2,000 calories per day for a healthy adult. It's not the calories so much as what you do with them. Are you getting a lot of fat, cholesterol, and sodium (bad)? Or lots of fiber and vitamins instead?

If you're talking distribution of calories in your diet, you're talking about fat, protein, and carbs, and that's all. You don't eat VITAMINS instead of fat, you eat either protein or carbs instead of fat. A grilled double down is:

460 calories total
23g fat (9g saturated) (207 calories)
61g protein (244 calories)
3 grams of carbs (1g fiber, 1g sugar) (12 calories)

Lots of protein, grilled and not fried so the fat that's present is just going to be from the chicken (which is not bad for you), and basically no carbs to speak of so no worries about bad carbs. 1430mg sodium isn't a concern unless you specifically need to restrict your sodium. The 185mg cholesterol present is irrelevant.

Looks like a filling meal that won't make you fat. All the extra garbage you'll probably buy WITH the double down is going to make you fat: the side dishes, biscuits, and soda.

Get some fiber in there from another source and you're doing fine for the day.

Costanza

Banned
EviLore said:
not fried so the fat that's present is just going to be from the chicken (which is not bad for you)
Most of that fat comes from the cheese, bacon and mayo, so that part's still pretty bad for you. ;)

Yea the fat in the grilled version would be from everything else on the sandwich. A grilled chicken patty from KFC alone is very low fat and cal.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just tried one (grilled). The chicken itself was fine, but that middle part I took issue with. I don't know where fast food chains get their cheese from, but it never seems to resemble real cheese, in taste or composition. And that colonel's sauce, whatever the fuck that's supposed to be*, was pretty nasty. Mixed together it took on the consistency of slime.

Won't have it again, but I'd consider getting the grilled chicken breast on its own in a pinch (I don't normally get fast food).

*Soybean Oil, Water, Distilled Vinegar, Egg Yolk, Sugar, Salt, Modified Corn Starch, Paprika, Xanthan Gum, Monosodium Glutamate, Spice, Chicken Broth, Garlic Powder, Propylene Glycol Alginate, Potassium Sorbate, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Soy Sauce (Soybean, Wheat, Salt), Natural Flavor, Chicken Fat, Dehydrated Chicken and Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten.

Most of that fat comes from the cheese, bacon and mayo, so that part's still pretty bad for you. ;)

Fat from cheese isn't bad for you. Fat from bacon isn't bad for you (the sodium content is the main potential concern, but as mentioned the total sodium content of the sandwich isn't extremely high). The colonel's sauce (it's not mayo), yeah, see above, I'd avoid that.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
So i just had a double down(Regular) for dinner. It was good! Suprisingly spicy. My tolerance for spicy stuff is pretty low so may not be spicy to others but it had a small kick to it. Dont think it was worth the $5 with how sloppily mine was put together

Didnt like how most of the cheese melted off into the wrapping you hold the sandwich with. I feel pretty bleh after eating it.

greepoman

SpeedingUptoStop said:
The good thing is that it's not: that calculation was debunked.

Which calculation was debunked? I assume this one:

I already see an error in that calculation...they're using the info from the bone-in fried chicken breast (which has skin, dark meat, etc), not the chicken breast patty used for sandwiches.

KFC's website has both and here are just the patties (filets):
KFC® Grilled Filet 130 cal 2g fat
KFC® ORIGINAL Filet 170 cal 7g fat

I also checked the generic brand fried filets I have in my freezer and they're 180 cal 8g fat so KFC's numbers are in line with that. Also makes their 540 cal calculation about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom