• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Divinity: Original Sin 2 [Over, $2 million funded]

Dennis

Banned
All stretch goals reached, success.

I pledged $25.

I still have to play the first one - which I also backed - so I blind pledged for this one on reputation only.

I reckon quite a lot of people won't really have "played" the first game until after the enhanced edition comes out rather soon---a clean and superior slate for all essentially.

All stretch goals reached, success.

I pledged $25.

I still have to play the first one - which I also backed - so I blind pledged for this one on reputation only.

Play it today.

Screw what people are saying about the writing. The gameplay is incredible and for the type of game that it is, the writing works.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I really don't get the complaints about the writing in D:OS. There's some pretty fun stuff in there, especially in Cyseal. It's just that the story's pretty forgetable.
It's not Shakespeare, but it isn't trying to be.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Its great this did so well. It went perfectly. Basically met every goal. No disappointment. And we got the Enhanced Edition coming soon to keep us busy. I never started the original game even though i backed that too but will be jumping in with EE. Same with Wasteland.

Well a keyword system would mean that the NPCs are mostly giving monologues to the PCs, mostly full of exposition instead of having a conversation.

That's what practically happens in the game, anyway. I feel the PCs lines throughout are mostly throwaways. Their most memorable dialogues come from when they are conversing with one another.

Durante

That's what practically happens in the game, anyway. I feel the PCs lines throughout are mostly throwaways. Their most memorable dialogues come from when they are conversing with one another.
Those are pretty good though. I've never seen PCs in an RPG before who are that acutely aware of just how ridiculous they are (if you play the dialogues out that way).

Looks like GOG is making their pledge to the Divinity 2 KS a community affair:

Design the #GOGHero in Divinity: Original Sin 2
Because the more is always the merrier, we're handing the #GOGHero over to you, the gamers, and everyone is welcome to pitch in with their ideas! The entire gaming community is invited to a massive brainstorming session with Larian Studios & GOG.com, and to submit their own ideas for the upcoming character.

For a touch of authenticity, Larian is providing official guidelines to work with - just like the ones they use during development. Fun, but optional:
  • --Each character has 3 major traits: Vanity, aggression, pride, self-confidence, racist towards dwarves/elves/humans/orcs/sourcerers...
  • --1 Quirk or Eccentricity: A predilection for dogs in leather boots, refuses to face north for religious reasons, in denial about his singing.
  • --One Fear/Loss/Block/Wound: Something traumatic in their background for which they are compensating in some way, or which drives them to do something normal people don't. His wife was killed in a tragic accident and now he's a kamikaze detective with a death wish. His parents were murdered by a criminal so now he's a vigilante crime-fighter. He's terrified of intimacy so treats women terribly. That kind of thing.
  • --Race: Human, dwarf, elf, lizard, undead.
  • --Background: Gender, age, job function, loyalties.
Throughout the brainstorm, the team from Larian, including creative director Swen Vincke among others, will be joining in us to browse, weigh in, and search for inspiration! Finally, when the time comes, they'll design three final characters combining the awesomest ideas, complete with official concept art and backstory. Once again, the #GOGHero will be placed in your hands with an official vote to chose the favorite champion from the three proposals. The winning character will go on to become the community-made, full-featured NPC in Divinity 2: Original Sin.

While the creation itself is cool, I'm really curious how they'll end up comparing to the Pillars of Eternity backer-characters. The scope seems leagues greater than PoE, and rightfully so considering the pledge amount. I hope they all end up as fitting additions to the game.

Interesting that there's no mention of naming...

hemtae

Update #18: Countdown to Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition!

Hey everybody!

Not only do we have our hands full plotting and scheming for Divinity: Original Sin 2, we’ve also been putting the final final touches on Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition as well as finalising the Larian Vault.

The Larian Vault which will allow you to manage your pledge for Divinity: Original Sin 2, vote for your favourite skill tree, and get you your Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition keys if you pledged for one. There'll be more on that in the next update but first check out all of the RPG goodness that Divinity:Original Sin - Enhanced Edition will bring you.

Skill tree poll is up!

The poll also includes some background questions about game preferences. The results so far are . . . about what you'd expect based on early requests for romances and things like that.

As far as skill trees go, I'm leaning toward polymorpher. You have twenty-four hours to change my mind, GAF.

I'm sure it's no surprise to Larian, and I myself am part of the problem here, but it's got to be a little disappointing that Ultima VII -- the game they set out to emulate -- is going to be last in the "favorite RPG" poll.

There's also an amazing 20 minute retrospective of the Kickstarter campaign:

http://youtu.be/LjHZ4dfLQyA

I love Larian so much.

Yeah, they're pretty adorable. And that is a neat video. I'm glad GAF was one of the leading sources for early visitors to their kickstarter page. I wonder what those numbers looked like after a couple of days?

Chaos17

I can't back it because I need money to buy christmas gifts for family but I really liked the first game and I would buy it again.

Herla

I really, really hope all those Polymorpher people vote Bard for the second poll.
Damn you Swen, you charisma is too high.

Santiako

Can anyone post the Skill tree information or is it supposed to be backer-only?

Sure,

Pick A Skill Tree

Divinity: Original Sin is rife with spectacular skills, and besides the many new ones we've already planned for Original Sin 2, we want to add even more unique skills to the repertoire. We have quite a list and will let our the backers pick a brand new skill tree, featuring at least 16 skills each, from among a host of new proposals when the campaign ends.

Polymorpher
As a polymorpher, your body is your oyster. Grow sharp-as-swords horns, poisonous tentacles (with the bonus of further reach) or even wings that allow you to dash and dive across the battlefield. You can even change completely into - what? Something monstrous, that's for sure...

Trap Master
Craft mines, place them in strategic positions and lure the unwitting enemy (or "ally") into your traps! At higher levels you'll be able to toss your deathtraps into groups of foes; taunt them so that they run blindly into your snares, and even craft bombs that you can sneak into an enemy's pocket. Tick. Tock. BOOM!

Bard
Inspire your allies to perform even greater feats of magic and carnage, then pacify, confuse or lull to sleep your enemies with songs and music. Of course, you don't have to be the party's unwavering champion. You can also weave lies into your tales, which can influence the attitude of NPCs in various ways. Sing your own praises and see them cheers you; paint your friends as cowards and see them be hailed with contempt!

Unarmed Combatant
This is for the hands-on fighters that don't want to dance around their targets, but get down and dirty by going for chokeholds and body throws. Wrestle your foes with bare fists, or go for some extra piercing power with vicious knuckles and claws.

Summoning Master
To be able to summon allies is a very powerful skill, but as a master you'll be able to summon more than one extra ally. Other skills will include redirecting incoming damage to your summons; sacrificing them to heal you, or blowing them up to wreak havoc among massed enemies.

Juggernaut
If you want to role play a bloodthirsty maniac that thrives on gore and pain, this is the one to get. Get stronger as your health drops; swing mighty great-swords or dual-wield axes; drown your enemies in spilled blood. You can even sacrifice your own hitpoints in return for massive, area-shattering blows. Beware of friendly fire though - if you even care, that is.

Guardian
A born protector, this sword 'n' board wielding warrior prioritizes a strong defense over offense. Your shield will become a wall behind which you -and your allies- can close in on the enemy unharmed. Your provocations will also turn your foes' attention toward you, but that's ok because other skills include becoming nigh invulnerable for brief amounts of time.

Alchemist
The powers of alchemy become as weapons in your hands! Throw potions like grenades; coat your weapons with poisons and curses; control clouds of steam, lightning, miasma and more; bask in the vastly superior effects of every potion you can get your hands on!

I voted Polymorpher of course, Alchemist would be my second choice.

Noaloha

I would really love for a class that's equal parts reactive as proactive -- I don't want something that is "set up in advance a kill field", games like these really shine when your proficiencies allow you to stumble into odd scenarios and think your way through to success

It also seems the best skillset for out-of-combat options, and that's why I want it so bad.

Agreed. I want to send my bard ahead to act as my hype man at new towns. It would be pretty funny if that backfired, like if I said my party was super brave and strong, then when they arrived the townspeople immediately cajoled them into fighting some nearby dragon.

Polymorpher sounds pretty nice. Master Summoner would be the most powerful assuming D:OS balance, simply because summons were so broken, but at the same time it sounds kinda boring. Bard's a solid standard choice.

I really hope it's not alchemist, I hate classes based on consumables, I always feel like I shouldn't use stuff cause I might need it later so they directly conflict with that(even though in general I finish without using anything at all, I think I used 1 potion in my entire playthrough of the EE Tactician mode).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

23724000742_c4aa9ef30c_b.jpg

9226915019_f05984752a_o.gif

Polymorpher looks like it's going to happen.
It better happen.

The "favourite game" poll is ill-coceived, I think; people will either go "this is my favourite game on the list and pls include adult mode" or else "I AM NOT VOTING FOR ANY OF THESE DON'T GET THE WRONG IDEA OK GUYS" At least, that's how I took it...

Also it's kinda funny that Ultima VII, which is to my understanding the inspiration for DOS' design, is firmly in last place. Then again it's far and away the oldest so I guess this isn't so surprising.

epmode

I voted Baldur's Gate 2. I'd like to say Ultima 7 since it's clearly the inspiration for Original Sin but I only played it for the first time recently and it hasn't aged all that well.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
These skill tree options. I want all of them. :(

Voted for Summon Master, looks like that and Polymorpher are pretty easily the favorites. The only one that doesn't really sound too interesting is the Guardian. I wouldn't be disappointed in the least if any others won.

Top Bottom