• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Divinity: Original Sin 2 [Over, $2 million funded]

Arulan

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - A Kickstarter Retrospective

divinityos2kickrmpsg.png

A shout out to RPG Codex as well.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
At least it's Origins and not......those other Dragon Age games.

That poll show so much how the "young" are the players, lol
*sigh*

No wonder XCX is so understimate that those kids think it's obscure and difficult *sigh*

To be fair, that game has some legit problems, like the sidequests that are all horrible.

Chaos17

At least it's Origins and not......those other Dragon Age games.

It's a bit the same because that mean the audience isn't old enough to have played rpg pc before DA origin and so it's easy to dumb down for that audiance games now while people older who have knows those gems see how much the past doesn't count anymore.

Those series have been stripped from their roots and the young audience will never understand it since their never played it and that poll is a good proof of it : the fake spiritual successor of Baldur gate is more popular than the original.

To be fair, that game has some legit problems, like the sidequests that are all horrible.
Well, we could say the same about Divinity original Sin.
It's story wasn't awesome (I played it at realase) but gameplay was!
That's the same with XCX.

XCX, it's one of the rare rpg these days (on console) who try to give detph to characters customisation and exploration that any rpg pc gamer is seeking and missing in modern rpgs.

Divinity origianl sin had a lot of obscure mechanics (craft system anyone?) but players took their time to dig in and love it. Same with other rpgs on pc.
But the diffrence is in the players, rpg pc gamers are way more patient than most of the console players that I saw/read.

epmode

I like XCX and all but let's be honest: Few RPGs outside of MMOs have as many mindless, meaningless sidequests. Original Sin isn't even remotely close.

Speaking of XCX, I don't think the game does a good job of explaining itself. One big thing that kills me: There are dozens of icons used to indicate all sorts of stuff but the game doesn't provide any kind of tooltip feature. In a decent PC game*, you'd be able to mouseover the icon for an explanation. XCX expects you to flip through the game's manual.

*Hell, even relatively complex console games do this properly. Take a look at Matsuno's SRPGs. I love those tooltips.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm sure if Inquisition were on that list, it could have been a close second with Origins.

Just....just let me have this alright? No need to make me face reality.

It's story wasn't awesome (I played it at realase) but gameplay was!
That's the same with XCX.

I would disagree there. Most of the sidequests in XCX literally are just "Pick up X glowing crystals on a field" or "Kill this one monster without context". In Divinity at least you had some interesting setups and some puzzels. Obviously it all ends with "Pick up X" or "Kill Y" in the end, but context matters to me.

Not saying the game is not fantastic (it is), but I wish the sidequests were better designed.

Polymorpher is some good shit but I'm bummed out at the low votes Alchemist is getting. At the very least having a skill to use potions like grenades seems like it would be a huge bonus to a battle system already looking much improved.

Gotta hold out hope for Poly + Unarmed---just think of the synergies people! Gaming's best chance in ages to become something roughly akin to a land kraken and grab foes to bash and sling about like a whack-a-mole game---maybe~

Plus this would have the minimum impact on the already massive item/equipment dynamics which would allow them to fully devote to making them zeroed in on the skills and attributes themselves.

Polymorpher is some good shit but I'm bummed out at the low votes Alchemist is getting. At the very least having a skill to use potions like grenades seems like it would be a huge bonus to a battle system already looking much improved.

There's already grenades though, and special arrows. Alchemy could be unique, but it feels fairly redundant. I could see why it's not popular, especially since I'm not sure it'd be even if there was no grenades, the concept of having to do crafting and inventory management to use your skills is really kinda meh.

Durante

There hasn't even been any official word that Divinity OS 2 will come to consoles.

(it probably will, but asking detailed questions about those versions when they aren't even announced seems premature)

There's already grenades though, and special arrows. Alchemy could be unique, but it feels fairly redundant. I could see why it's not popular, especially since I'm not sure it'd be even if there was no grenades, the concept of having to do crafting and inventory management to use your skills is really kinda meh.

If grenades can do everything potions could do I guess it isn't as big of a deal. Haven't played the EE yet so I dunno if grenades are craftable to the extent potions were in the initial release.

Labadal

If anyone's going to EGX:
EGX Rezzed 2016 announces Divinity: Original Sin 2 developer session
Ooh lust, lust!

Divinity: Original Sin was a wonderful success, for crowdfunding, for old, deep, role-playing games, and for Belgian developer Larian. With relish, we now await a sequel. And I'm happy to share news that Larian will be presenting Divinity: Original Sin 2 at EGX Rezzed in London in early April.

The thoroughly charming Swen Vincke, creative director and founder of the studio, will take to the stage to talk about the sequel's progress, and about how he's trying to give players pen-and-paper freedom in his story-driven RPG. He's on at 2pm, Friday, 8th April. I don't know what he'll be wearing.

You'll need a £13.50 day-ticket to watch him, but of course watching him isn't the only thing you can do at EGX Rezzed. You'll have stacks of games to play and discover, and creators to meet, in the really rather lovely Tobacco Dock building. There will be other developer sessions to watch, too.

Don't leave it too late to get a ticket because they do sell out. I should mention, for transparency, that EGX Rezzed is a show put on by Gamer Network, the company that owns this website, Eurogamer. In other words, we'll be there - come say hi!

diablogod

Waiting for PS4 version. Enhanced Original Sin was amazing!

Me and my younger brother are going through it right now. It is really well done. Had a couple crashes / weird errors but other than that, 70 hours in and it's amazing.

Backed this at the collector's edition level. Super excited for this game and for Larian, they are some of the good ones.

Ushay

I recently played OS on Xbox to completion and was surprised how good the writing was and the gameplay was rock solid, offered a hell of a lot more depth than most games today.

Im in for kickstarted, Larian done good on the first game!

Staab

Why the hell do people vote for summoner when there's already tons of ways to have pets/summons in the original (assuming it works similarly in the second one)... ?

Need me some Fansy bard !

going through the first one right now- love it.... but really hope they add more modifiers to equipment... i've gotten so many duplicates and barely varied stuff it's feeling boring.

epmode

Larian (still) makes the best Kickstarter updates. <3 Swen <3

I hope the new composer works out. I love that he's interested in adaptive/interactive music.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I thought almost all the skill trees sounded cool, so I'll be sort of disappointed regardless of what wins, because we won't get the others.

Not sure which I'll vote for this time. Will have to read them again when I get home.

Santiako

Polymorpher was clearly the best so glad it won, this time I voted Bard because it sounds the most unique.

Here's the choices, so non-backers can see them:
Trap Master
Craft mines, place them in strategic positions and lure the unwitting enemy (or "ally") into your traps! At higher levels you'll be able to toss your deathtraps into groups of foes; taunt them so that they run blindly into your snares, and even craft bombs that you can sneak into an enemy's pocket. Tick. Tock. BOOM!

Bard
Inspire your allies to perform even greater feats of magic and carnage, then pacify, confuse or lull to sleep your enemies with songs and music. Of course, you don't have to be the party's unwavering champion. You can also weave lies into your tales, which can influence the attitude of NPCs in various ways. Sing your own praises and see them cheers you; paint your friends as cowards and see them be hailed with contempt!

Unarmed Combatant
This is for the hands-on fighters that don't want to dance around their targets, but get down and dirty by going for chokeholds and body throws. Wrestle your foes with bare fists, or go for some extra piercing power with vicious knuckles and claws.

Summoning Master
To be able to summon allies is a very powerful skill, but as a master you'll be able to summon more than one extra ally. Other skills will include redirecting incoming damage to your summons; sacrificing them to heal you, or blowing them up to wreak havoc among massed enemies.

Juggernaut
If you want to role play a bloodthirsty maniac that thrives on gore and pain, this is the one to get. Get stronger as your health drops; swing mighty great-swords or dual-wield axes; drown your enemies in spilled blood. You can even sacrifice your own hitpoints in return for massive, area-shattering blows. Beware of friendly fire though - if you even care, that is.

Guardian
A born protector, this sword 'n' board wielding warrior prioritizes a strong defense over offense. Your shield will become a wall behind which you -and your allies- can close in on the enemy unharmed. Your provocations will also turn your foes' attention toward you, but that's ok because other skills include becoming nigh invulnerable for brief amounts of time.

Alchemist
The powers of alchemy become as weapons in your hands! Throw potions like grenades; coat your weapons with poisons and curses; control clouds of steam, lightning, miasma and more; bask in the vastly superior effects of every potion you can get your hands on!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I voted Summoning Master, mainly because summons were so strong in OS1 that I'd love to see what happens when they get fleshed out.

Curious to see if Borislav Slavov will try to emulate Kirill's style (which at this point is Divinity's style) or do more of his own thing. Either way, the dynamic music holds great promise.

Now... when did Youtube get a native "loop" function? I've been dying for such a feature for ages.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I voted Summoning Master, mainly because summons were so strong in OS1 that I'd love to see what happens when they get fleshed out.

The original incarnation of D:OS, the summons were insane and they toned them down in EE, but they were still good. I can't wait to see what a summon master does with them.

Menome

I hope the Bard makes it and if it does, that there's the choice of using more than one type of instrument. There's more to "medieval" music-making than bloody lutes.

I will hold the dream of a tentacled Kenshiro, or just essentially something out of Apocalypse ZERO, in my heart until the bitter end---simmer down that item pool and cultivate a true living weapon.

Copper

I really hope Bard ends up making it. I'm interested to know what some of the "cool" things they are working on are. Looks like a very fun studio to work at and I love the energetic vibe he's giving off. I really need to go re-play the enhanced edition on tactical mode.

Top Bottom