• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Divinity: Original Sin 2 [Over, $2 million funded]

patapuf

When the EE came out initially I couldn't get past the first fight on tactician! I only tried it once but man it seemed hard. Not sure I want the stress.

The game is rough at the start for 2 reasons:

You don't know how to use and combine your skills yet
You don't have many good skills to combine or do CC with.

If you have it on a lower difficulty at the start it can pay off to turn it up later when you've got a grasp on the mechanics.

Lanrutcon

When the EE came out initially I couldn't get past the first fight on tactician! I only tried it once but man it seemed hard. Not sure I want the stress.

The first few fights before you get to town are super hard, but once you get into town you can steal/talk/quest your way into a few levels, some equipment and a bunch of consumables. Then the difficulty becomes a matter of planning and tactics, as opposed to a few dice rolls.

Also: Tactician requires you to really plan your characters.

Chaos17

I'm really liking what I'v seen so far. They seems to have putted in good use the money they made (not like Pokemon GO) so I'm looking foward to play it again with my mate in co-op.

robin2

seems it's shaping up to be something incredible.
i think i never heard anything about npc companions. the original game had only 2 (which for SP-only guys like me is terrible); did they say if this game is going to have a robust amount of them?

Ogimachi

Chris Avellone is working on this too? How many projects is he involved in atm?

[Finished but not released]
  • VR dialogue stuff with Digital Funk Studios.
[Ongoing]
  • TTON companion. [Erritis - now recruitable in the Beta]
  • TTON graphic novel #1.
  • TTON graphic novel #2.
  • Wasteland 2 novella #1. ["intros to each PC"]
  • Wasteland 2 novella #2.
  • Wasteland 2 novella #3.
  • Wasteland 2 novella #4.
  • Wasteland 2 novel.
  • D:OS2 - Undead origin story.
  • Prey.
  • System Shock remake.
[Recent finished work]
  • "<endgame>", short story for the Press Start to Play anthology.
  • "Acts of Creation", short story for the The End Has Come anthology.
  • Prologue for Más allá del Tiempo, a book about the Chrono series. (Spanish only)
  • "The Winter King", an Icewind Dale short story. Technically not recent: he wrote back in the Black Isle days, but it was only released last year.
  • Overfall style guide.
  • Story feedback on Siege of Dragonspear.
  • PoE novella.
[Other stuff coming up]
  • YouTube Let's Play channel.
  • Personal website. ["Website's on hold, I don't have the time. :("]
  • Unannounced "pet project".

epmode

seems it's shaping up to be something incredible.
i think i never heard anything about npc companions. the original game had only 2

It had four scripted companions. Two were released post-launch. None of the NPCs are very interesting but I went with the new archer in a replay.

PFD

[Finished but not released]
  • VR dialogue stuff with Digital Funk Studios.
[Ongoing]
  • TTON companion. [Erritis - now recruitable in the Beta]
  • TTON graphic novel #1.
  • TTON graphic novel #2.
  • Wasteland 2 novella #1. ["intros to each PC"]
  • Wasteland 2 novella #2.
  • Wasteland 2 novella #3.
  • Wasteland 2 novella #4.
  • Wasteland 2 novel.
  • D:OS2 - Undead origin story.
  • Prey.
  • System Shock remake.
[Recent finished work]
  • "<endgame>", short story for the Press Start to Play anthology.
  • "Acts of Creation", short story for the The End Has Come anthology.
  • Prologue for Más allá del Tiempo, a book about the Chrono series. (Spanish only)
  • "The Winter King", an Icewind Dale short story. Technically not recent: he wrote back in the Black Isle days, but it was only released last year.
  • Overfall style guide.
  • Story feedback on Siege of Dragonspear.
  • PoE novella.
[Other stuff coming up]
  • YouTube Let's Play channel.
  • Personal website. ["Website's on hold, I don't have the time. :("]
  • Unannounced "pet project".

Wow, that's for putting this together

Anno

Steam page is live! EA starting September 15th. The first game was shaped quite a bit by its EA period so I'm glad they're doing it again here.

I think the embargo on the Gamescom coverage is up today as well, so maybe a lot more coverage will be flooding in.

Naito

I don't have anything significant to add&#8230; terrific news :D
I look forward to try a Lizard (&#8230;Wizard?) and, most probably,
a starving Elf ranger/killer/hunter/stalker for dem delicious memories.

I'll have to wait and see feedback before I jump into EA. I'm usually someone who prefers to wait until the release, as painful as it will be this time.

epmode

RPS: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Smartly Reinvents The RPG Party

Divinity: Original Sin is one of my favourite games of recent years. It’s a systemic toybox with the skin of a fantasy RPG. I spent an evening playing the sequel [official site] a couple of weeks ago and it improves almost every area. At the foundations, there’s a more interesting world, with a stronger set of characters, but there are also improvements to combat, and the smartest twist on cooperative multiplayer that I’ve seen since Dark Souls

Lister

Banned
I'm super hyped for this. Just wrapping up Pillars of Eternity's Expansion, and I'm still in the modd for a classic RPG game. Backed it, and I'm looking forward to the steam early access release!

robin2

The wait for the game just got harder, with the early access dangling under my nose.

edit-
RPS impressions are so exciting.

Divinity 2 seems great, backed it when they first announced it, hoping it's not too demanding. That i7 in the reccomended settings I hope means nothing, I still rock an i5-2500

vocab

Divinity 2 seems great, backed it when they first announced it, hoping it's not too demanding. That i7 in the reccomended settings I hope means nothing, I still rock an i5-2500

If you can run DOSEE, you can probably run this fine. The new engine/upgraded engine is much more optimized than the original one.

RK9039

I was so surprised to see an early access newsletter in my inbox, I completely forgot about backing this game. I haven't watched any footage either, gonna go blind for this one because the first game was amazing.

StereoVsn

Oh heck yes. One of my most anticipated upcoming games and I loved the first one. Can't wait to see all the combat changes and the better story with back stories even though I am not sold on memory mechanic.

In update 26, they indirectly confirmed that Undead wear (a lot of?) masks. Suddenly character customisation makes a lot more sense for them and I want to be an Undead Polymorpher ASAP.

The RPS impressions make it sound like what Bioware tried (and ultimately abandoned) with Neverwinter Night's original campaign, the single or multiplayer adventure it shipped with at release.

So, NWN's OC was a very linear and generic adventure, pitting lowly heroes against ancient evils, with some paltry choice and consequence that hardly mattered. You could play it co-op, but that didn't really change much. However, originally, it was supposed to be a much grander, singleplayer, co-op OR competitive co-op game where players could play as a normal adventuring party or secretly align themselves with the enemy, ultimately betraying their party in the end. Presumably it would've been similar to Aribeth's arc in the OC, but was abandoned as Bioware had huge troubles developing NWN as a whole. (They had hugely ambitious goals in terms of custom content and multiplayer, including a dungeon master mode a la DOS2.)

There was a good article about it on IGN's Neverwinter Nights Vault, which is where I heard of it, but unfortunately they shuttered the site some years ago.

It will be truly amazing if Larian can step up RPGs like this. I'm particularly curious if it works while also playing singleplayer; I'd love to betray myself.

Mivey

It will be truly amazing if Larian can step up RPGs like this. I'm particularly curious if it works while also playing singleplayer; I'd love to betray myself.
At least it forces them to remove the dreadful RPS game from it. (Why didn't RPS comment on this, btw, puns galore!) It was so stupid to reload a game because you can't control your characters in single player.

epmode

At least it forces them to remove the dreadful RPS game from it. (Why didn't RPS comment on this, btw, puns galore!) It was so stupid to reload a game because you can't control your characters in single player.

Not sure if you know this but you can change your partner's AI in Original Sin 1. You can disable the AI so that you choose dialogue for both characters or you can set your companion to always agree with you. There's no need for RPS battles in single player (unless you're dealing with an NPC).

The Kickstarter Update Song always gets me in the mood.
Not sure if you know this but you can change your partner's AI in Original Sin 1. You can disable the AI so that you choose dialogue for both characters or you can set your companion to always agree with you. There's no need for RPS battles in single player (unless you're dealing with an NPC).
There were a handful of AI settings beyond just agree/disagree, too. Never was clear on what they did, but I'm glad they were there to add some mystery to companions.

I also liked the stat-based aspect of persuasion wars, though I also hope there's something a bit better than the RPS minigame to decide it.

Sanctuary

Loved the first game, but damn. They need to seriously get out of 1990 already with the inventory. It was pretty bad in OS, and it seems identical here.

Anno

In case anyone was wondering Larian's original plan was to release D:OS2 in December of this year, but they confirmed it won't be coming out of EA until 2017

That seems fair. I don't think anyone actually believed the 2016 date anyway. There's already way too many good games still on tap for this year anyway.

JC Sera

Btw are skeletons still not in CC? I've only seen a few videos but they dont seem to appear.

edit: also I'm loving the sexual dimorphism between lizards

Is there an in-depth explanation of the co-op stuff somewhere? I loved the first one but the way co-op was implemented, was kind of weird. I'd love to have my fiance playing also and be able to 'group up' with missions and such. She owned the game but never really felt in 'control' of her own character since it only really applied to my save.

Top Bottom