• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Divinity: Original Sin 2 [Over, $2 million funded]

Wondering if I should just wait out DOS 2 until its finished or get it early access.

I used the Original Sin early access to test out various builds/character options to see which I liked best. No more three hours in the character creation screen on release day for me! I actually had screenshots of my character's stats and traits from beta so I could remake them right away when it released.

The Codex interview confirmed that playable Undead and their origin aren't in the first Early Access release of DOS2.

Daaaamn that interview is fantastic. The game sounds superb.

Added my key to Steam.

This games continues to look more impressive after each new update. If they execute on their ambition, this could be a defining moment in CRPG history. Let's hope Torment: Tides of Numenera does so as well.

Did they ever say how many origin stories there were?

DOS1 is already a landmark RPG (dat combat and freeform quest design), but DOS2 could definitely join the pantheon if it pulls all of its ambitions off.

For origins... I don't think they mentioned a specific number (they did go over several in a recent update video) but either way it gets kinda complicated due to the tag system:

When you sit down to create a character in Divinity: Original Sin 2, you don't just choose a class or a hairstyle - you choose a life. (Or, if you prefer, you make your own.)

Here's what you’ll be able to customize:
  • Origin Stories: You’ll have a choice of several origin stories, each one a pre-made past for your character, which will ground them in the world you’re exploring. You might meet people who’ve heard of your story, or suffered a similar fate. You might meet some old friends to help you on your way, or cross paths with those who have a score to settle. The origin stories bring a rich, deep narrative to the game, which compliments the world and gives you lots more options for how you can interact with the people around you.

Of course, if you’d rather tell your own story too, that’s no problem. That’s why we have…
  • Tags: Tags are the background information about your character which you (mostly…) set at character creation. They cover your background, your profession, your race, your gender, and even how you interact with the world. Tags give your characters depth and variety, meaning that even if you start with a “Blank Slate” character, they’ll still explore the world and interact with it in their own unique way.
[Source]
It's really hype.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This sounds like it may potentially end up really high, on my all time list.

The only problem is that it might be too good.

JambiBum

Early access is only a day away.
lina-vi3.gif

Anno

Larian has spoken very highly in the past of how much EA helped the first game, so I assume that's the main reason. More cash obviously doesn't hurt.

KORNdoggy

Is the same deal happening with this that happened with the first one? fully voiced enhanced edition on consoles in the future? I LOVE the first one. Best RPG i've played this gen, easily.

guess I better go redeem my key today so I can start playing early access.

I won't like I put down the first one at the end of the 1st act. Tried to go back time and time again but just couldn't do it. The game was so well developed though that I had to back this one.

epmode

omgomgomgomgomg

I'll probably do the same thing I did last time: Play around with character builds and the mechanics, but only in the first area.

GAF, I totally <3 Larian

Damn, maybe try to install it from the Steam page instead of the Steam client? (Go to your Steam profile on the Steam page, then go to your games, search for DOS 2 and see if there's an "Install" option there).

EDIT: Should look like this:

I tried using a direct shortcut to the app.. it said "not released"

Did you buy the collector's edition or just a regular one? there's a growing thread on steam where people aren't able to download.. all of them seem to be collector's edition folks.

I know two people who bought the standard edition and they are able to download fine.

Adnor

Banned

Did you buy the collector's edition or just a regular one? there's a growing thread on steam where people aren't able to download.. all of them seem to be collector's edition folks.

I know two people who bought the standard edition and they are able to download fine.

I bought the regular edition.

Sevenfold

Damn, maybe try to install it from the Steam page instead of the Steam client? (Go to your Steam profile on the Steam page, then go to your games, search for DOS 2 and see if there's an "Install" option there).

EDIT: Should look like this:

Takes me to the community page, and the store page says available 15th :(

EDIT: Working.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Ah. Larian needs to add a release state override to this sub.

Releasing the game a day early is pretty much the best thing ever. Larian stays winning.

Now... is anyone making a thread about it? Edit: Actually, best to wait until the sub thing is sorted out. (Good work, Jase!)
How close are we to the final release?

I'm wondering if I should just wait it out.

2017, no firm dates.

I imagine they'll be using the EA period for polish and refinement in the meantime. If it's anything like DOS1, the rest of the content will only drop upon release. (though I assume Undead Origin will make it in earlier.)

Adnor

Banned
How close are we to the final release?

I'm wondering if I should just wait it out.

Nobody knows, not even Larian, it's one of the reasons for doing EA, to balance and test the game. The only thing we know it's that it's more than likely that the full game will not be released this year as it was originally planned.

Adnor

Banned
Someone needs to make an OT now. And we need to test our skills on the arena!

Menu music is great. Original Sin 1-esque great.

I'm sure there will be a homage to Kirill inside the game, I mean, he's so important to the series that he even appeared on Divinity II as a character.

Adnor

Banned
Have they said anything about a console port? D:OS is easily one of the best games i've played on the PS4.

I think they said that they're only working on the PC version now, and then maybe work on a port for consoles, but it's not confirmed.

Arulan

I thought I'd be able to hold off from trying the early access, but I fear that is an impossible task.

Does the early access version have the four-player online co-op ready?

Top Bottom