• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Heart Forth Alicia, 2D Metroidvania (W/M/L/PS4/PSV) WiiU@$200k 3DS@$245k

Koren

Although I'm loathe to guarantee anything in that regard before talking directly with distributors, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't have the physical version be DRM-free.
I really hope so, because I'll definitively back the game at least to the physical game tier. Will be my first time on Kickstarter actually. I've been interested a couple of times previously, but I never went till creating an account yet. I'm happy it received some exposure here!

Game looks really great, that's a wonderful job!

In fact, it's so close to the game I've tried to developped 5-6 years ago and has been put on hold since because of my work that I'm happy and sad at the same time. Never found the tremendous amount of time to do all the pixel art needed, unfortunately, although the core of the engine is done T_T. I think I'll reach the "elite" tier just to share a bit of the adventure with you.

It seems you may reach the threshold on the first day, btw...

Kuga

The video sold me. I'm a sucker for (1) sprite art and (2) Metroidvania.

Also, please look into console and vita ports. It would be great to play on-the-go or on my PS4!

I was going to pop in and make a snarky comment, but that it looks pretty darn swish. I guess I should back it.

This is me.

With the live action stuff, I wonder if they're going to go full Odin Sphere and have the whole thing be a story rewritten on the fly by the woman's actions

Koren

That's it, first kickstarter project backed.

Even pushed the counter over the 40k mark, in fact...

Edit: btw, I'll welcome a Linux version if the team manage to make it. Windows (or Wine-compatible) will be OK, but since you talked about it...

Techies

RWEZZ9.png

Imo, it's been months that this project teased me on twitter, showing cool screenshots. I don't know if Flying Hamster did started its campaign before kickstarter launch too.

I would not be be surprised, kick-starter is mostly effective in the first few days, and to take advantage of that, developers need to do a lot oh homework and promotion way before. Actually scratch that, they need to find the right people to help them with that first.

Sothpaw

Fuck why do the characters look like anime children. I have beaten every Metroid and Castletroid game but I just can't deal with the art style in this one.

Burt

Umm, I don't really know what to say but

I thought it was a scam at first.

But it's not! What a relief. Guess we squeezed in at the last second before they approved the batch.

Burt

No, it's true!
Gratz, I've never seen a game been greenlightied so soon XD
http://www.alonsomartin.mx/hfa/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/43_short2_480.gif

43_short2_480.gif

Some of the gifs from the site aren't working because the traffic bomb this morning took it down. But, I do love that gif. We'll get everything rehosted soon so the gif issues are straightened out.

Damn, even beat Crawl as fastest Greenlit!
Oh man, is that true? I hadn't even considered that yet. Really just luck of the draw though. Picked a great day to start the campaign, apparently.

Lain

Umm, I don't really know what to say but

I thought it was a scam at first.

But it's not! What a relief. Guess we squeezed in at the last second before they approved the batch.

I was just looking at the list of greenlit games and saw it and I thought it was amazing at how fast you got greenlit. Congrats!

Some of the gifs from the site aren't working because the traffic bomb this morning took it down. But, I do love that gif. We'll get everything rehosted soon so the gif issues are straightened out.

Oh man, is that true? I hadn't even considered that yet. Really just luck of the draw though. Picked a great day to start the campaign, apparently.
Yeah, I think Crawl got Greenlit in about 12 hours
HFA in about 8

Kaldea

This looks amazing and I can't resist dat physical art book.

Do I need to add any costs for shipping within the US?

zashga

Very nice art on display here; I really like the look of the game as pitched. Judging from how fast it's zooming towards its funding goal, I'm guessing a lot of Kickstarter users back with their eyes.

(I don't mean that as a slight; it really does look very good.)

Burt

Burt, any word on stretch goals?

How does it feel to have your work validated in such an immediate way?

I might have hinted at this earlier in the thread, but we've held off on stretch goals so far for a few reasons. The first being that we didn't want to lock ourselves into anything that wasn't the number one thing that backers wanted. Number two was that we didn't expect to be this far along this early, and none of us are fans of games getting ahead of themselves with stretch goals. The third reason would be that we're still working out the concrete details with the people we'd work with to deliver stretch goals, Chucklefish, and other involved parties.

That being said, ports are absolutely our first priority. The demand is abundantly clear and the Kickstarter is trending such that they should be well within our financial means, so all that's left for us to do is hammer out the specifics with people to do the ports and, in the case of consoles and handhelds, work things out with the platform holders. That's moving along well, so we should be able to put up the exact numbers in a few days. Right now though, the best I can say is that the ports are our top priority with stretch goals and the exact numbers are looking very achievable with the way things are going and won't require an outlandish degree of overfunding.

As for how it feels? Absolutely amazing, but incredibly tiring. My eyelids are starting to rebel against my brain telling them to stay open.

This looks amazing and I can't resist dat physical art book.

Do I need to add any costs for shipping within the US?

Nope, US shipping is included.

Thanks again for all the great comments and feedback everyone.

The real question with the 3DS version would be this: can the game be made to run smoothly and look good at 400x240 apparent resolution, and 800x240 practical? The apparent resolution and 2D rez is the former, but due to the way the 3D works you need to essentially render at double width.

I don't know how well your graphic design has been optimized for that screen size or for the 3D effect, and that would need to be taken into consideration.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well well! Kickstarter is pretty much a lock at this point *Knock on wood*. Eagerly await Steam release.

First update up:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1184202489/heart-forth-alicia/posts/812361

What an amazing first day! Never in my life did I imagine we'd receive the generous support and excitement we've gotten from you guys. I honestly launched the campaign expecting we'd have a very rough time even getting past the first half of the goal, and I'm completely bewildered by how things have played out—completely beyond-words grateful to you.

I want to address some of the pressing questions that we’ve seen asked many times during this first day:

Will Heart Forth, Alicia be coming to other platforms?

If we get the funding we need to carry the ports out, absolutely!

The figure we established for the campaign goal was based on a minimal budget that would let us finish the game in a timely manner and without compromise, along with fulfilling our obligations to backers. We figured that if we included things that weren’t completely indispensable, we risked not reaching the Kickstarter goal and not getting funded.

Other than that, we didn’t open the campaign with stretch-goals set for a few reasons. First of all, we’re still working out specifics with the awesome people at Chucklefish Games, working on a budget with the two coding geniuses that we’d hire to do the porting to OSX/Linux, and the details of getting the game on specific consoles and handhelds. Secondly, not by a chance did we expect to be this far so early, and just didn’t want to get ahead of ourselves. Finally, we wanted confirmation from the backers that console and handheld ports are something that they wanted before we locked ourselves into delivering them by revealing our stretch goals.

What’s the deal with you guys and Chucklefish?

Chucklefish Games are a group of talented people helping us with our business responsibilities, marketing, distribution, and although they will not be providing Heart Forth, Alicia with funding at any point, they are opening up the doors for console porting. They’re very nice people, too, and working together has been really smooth because they completely understand the development process of a game.

I hope this has answered some of your questions! We’re going to cover more specific details in future updates and hopefully fill you in. I can’t express my gratitude enough for believing in this project.

Please help us spread the word so that we’re able to take the game to OSX, Linux, consoles, and handhelds. We’ve seen a huge number of people today express interest in playing the game on places other than PC, and we definitely want to bring the game to their favourite platform.

Burt

We just put out our first update, on how we're handling stretch goals and ports, and a little bit about what we're doing with Chucklefish:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1184202489/heart-forth-alicia/posts/812361

Mostly just reiterates stuff that I've been talking about in the thread, but we would super-appreciate anyone sharing it around. We received a crushing amount of questions regarding ports today, and I'd like as many of those people to know that we're listening to them and getting things done as soon as possible.

Edit: Beaten :) Thanks Hades.

Chaos17

First of all, we’re still working out specifics with the awesome people at Chucklefish Games, working on a budget with the two coding geniuses that we’d hire to do the porting to OSX/Linux

Please help us spread the word so that we’re able to take the game to OSX, Linux, consoles, and handhelds. We’ve seen a huge number of people today express interest in playing the game on places other than PC, and we definitely want to bring the game to their favourite platform.

tumblr_mxqsovNFbF1sq69gco1_400.gif

PaulloDEC

Looks great, backitty-backed. Fingers crossed everything aligns and we get a Vita port. Seems like a great game for a portable, not to mention a great game for dat OLED.

Javier

Backed. Elite Access Tier too. My highest Kickstarter pledge so far.

This looks just too gorgeous. Hope it gets a Wii U stretch goal.

10K away from being funded!

What was the last game to get funded within 24 hours? Last I know of was Hyper Light Drifter, but there were probably others that I'm not aware of

Burt

10K away from being funded!

What was the last game to get funded within 24 hours? Last I know of was Hyper Light Drifter, but there were probably others that I'm not aware of

Darkest Dungeon hit their mark in a little under 24 I think. I want to say we launched around 12:15 EST last night, although my memory is a bit fuzzy at this point, but it looks like the 36-hour plan is a lot more reasonable.

Not that I'm complaining. $50,000 in the first day? I was expecting $15k tops, and I was the most optimistic person among us. It's been nothing short of magical.

Rhysser

Banned
Darkest Dungeon hit their mark in a little under 24 I think. I want to say we launched around 12:15 EST last night, although my memory is a bit fuzzy at this point, but it looks like the 36-hour plan is a lot more reasonable.

Not that I'm complaining. $50,000 in the first day? I was expecting $15k tops, and I was the most optimistic person among us. It's been nothing short of magical.

Clearly you guys undervalued the quality of your own work and underestimated the thirst for quality metroidvanias with heavier RPG elements. Hopefully this will serve as an example to other devs to demonstrate that the market for this genre is way under-served.

On another note, one thing I would like to see is some indoor environments, if you plan to have those I mean.

At the expense of sounding like a broken record, what's up with that guy exploding into a pile of gore? Seems out of place compared to the rest of the trailer. The blood and sound effects in that moment are fantastic though

At the expense of sounding like a broken record, what's up with that guy exploding into a pile of gore? Seems out of place compared to the rest of the trailer. The blood and sound effects in that moment are fantastic though

Shock. It got my attention and the wife's as well. The game got dark and it was effective.

Rhysser

Banned
@Rhysser : they were right to be cautious though, just read those comments on Kotaku or look at Flying Hamster 2. But I'm happy that the majority of people ain't like them and they're giving their support to this project. :)

Yeah I'm definitely not questioning their decisions, I'm just glad they're doing much better than they expected, it likely means the game will end up better than they initially planned since it's likely they'll get way more than they expected :) They seem to know what they're doing in terms of presenting this game in the best light. I looked at Flying Hamster II Kickstarter and it seems professional but nothing about it says 'metroidvania' and everything about it says 'generic mobile game' even though based on other posts in this thread it seems that's not the case.

But with this game, all of the environments presented have their own unique atmosphere, it looks like the real deal in terms of being a serious (gameplaywise) RPG-driven metroidvania :) I totally want to be running around in there finding secrets, items, and abilities.

Kaiken

Banned
Wish it was widescreen format. So close to pulling the trigger... Love everything else about this wonderful concept.

Burt

Yeah, the first time I saw that my jaw dropped. Partly because of how well done it was, and partly due to how little I was expecting it. Strangely enough, this is actually the first time I've heard anyone comment on it today. Was wondering if it clicked with anyone else.

I don't want to dive into the story really because that's a bit of a slippery slope in terms of revealing stuff, but I will say that the game's overall tone actually strikes a lot closer to something like Final Fantasy Tactics than say, Secret of Mana. I'm sure it's close to Xenogears too, but I personally don't have enough recent experience with the game to make a judgement call there.

The tone has been hard to properly convey though, because the style of artwork that the game uses isn't generally associated with more mature themes outside of a few historical examples like the aforementioned FFT and Xenogears. Cutscenes would get the job done, but we've put most of our effort into making the gameplay and game systems all they can be, because cutscenes generally don't require the amount of tweaking and retweaking to get right.

There's another game that's on the tip of my tongue that it reminds me of, but I can't remember it for the life of me right now. Maybe tomorrow.

@Rhysser : they were right to be cautious though, just read those comments on Kotaku or look at Flying Hamster 2. But I'm happy that the majority of people ain't like them and they're giving their support to this project. :)

Yeah, the Kotaku comments were a little rough. We've been going through them though, and most of them either stem from a disdain for pixel art or ignorance of what the game is. There's nothing in either of those stances that could really get to any of us. There are legitimately harsh comments, but it's the Internet, right? Shit happens, and you deal with it. Plus, that Kotaku leading to $18,000 of referrals so far softens the blows a good bit.

Shock. It got my attention and the wife's as well. The game got dark and it was effective.
Well I'm glad that you recognized the "darkness" there, but please don't mistake Alonso for a "shock jock" or whatever that term is. That was something that he was worried about with showing the elder scene, people perceiving him as abusing graphic violence throughout the game just to lure eyeballs. Scenes like that are, as of now, rare and measured throughout the game.

Alonso's an independent filmmaker as much as a game developer, if not more so, so as you might guess he's more interested in making those scenes few and impactful than exploiting them because he can.

Yeah I'm definitely not questioning their decisions, I'm just glad they're doing much better than they expected, it likely means the game will end up better than they initially planned since it's likely they'll get way more than they expected :) They seem to know what they're doing in terms of presenting this game in the best light. I looked at Flying Hamster II Kickstarter and it seems professional but nothing about it says 'metroidvania' and everything about it says 'generic mobile game' even though based on other posts in this thread it seems that's not the case.

But with this game, all of the environments presented have their own unique atmosphere, it looks like the real deal in terms of being a serious (gameplaywise) RPG-driven metroidvania :) I totally want to be running around in there finding secrets, items, and abilities.

Thanks! As the person whose responsibilities generally stem from the necessity of presenting everything in the best light, that means a lot to me.

You'll be running through the game some time, and I don't think it will be too far in the future.

Time for me to put my head to rest. Big day 2 tomorrow. Thanks again everyone.

Burt

How much has GAF referred? :)

~$3.5k, tied with PlayStarbound.com courtesy of the Chucklefishers. It's good though! I wish I had the data over time, because GAF was number 1 for the first 8 or so hours of the campaign, so it gave us a lot of early traction and word-of-mouth that led to Kotaku digging us up before we even bothered with PR. Plus, there's room to catch up. That Kotaku article will fade, but GAF is eternal :)

Okay, honest truth. I really am dead tired and will probably keep saying that I'm going to bed, but I can't do it. Last time I felt like this was playing WoW a decade ago and sitting there watching the "Patch Progress" bar fill up on patch night.

"0.3/4.1 GB complete" is now "$51,348 pledged/$60,000 goal"

Chaos17

Plus, that Kotaku leading to $18,000 of referrals so far softens the blows a good bit.
Good to know that comments aren't always make big impact on people and they can still make their own choice.

Top Bottom