• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Heart Forth Alicia, 2D Metroidvania (W/M/L/PS4/PSV) WiiU@$200k 3DS@$245k

No worries in that regard. The game scales, but it maintains pixel ratio and doesn't stretch. Fullscreen mode already has the borders/bars that you're looking for, and we should be able to get the game tested on a variety of cards and drivers throughout development to make sure there aren't any major or widespread issues.

k backed then!

hope when you say rpg you really mean it though, i want to be doing some big numbers by end game!

Chaos17

k backed then!

hope when you say rpg you really mean it though, i want to be doing some big numbers by end game!

You can see in this picture that you even level up :eek:

22v3.gif

You can see in this picture that you even level up :eek:

22v3.gif
From the TIGForum devlog, on leveling up
One of these things was the level-up system: leveling-up increases your magic attack and your defense, but nowhere is this ever mentioned. Originally, you could only level up from level 1 to 10, so any level ups would change your stats right away and you’d definitely notice. However, long ago I went back and made the game support levels 1-99, so the effects of leveling-up weren’t as clear now.

To fix this, I implemented a small stats window in the inventory screen to show the player her/his growth as she/he levels up. DEF and MATK increase automatically at different intervals, and they now clearly tell the player something’s happening. However, now that there are clear stats, it seems a bit counter-intuitive that the player can't interact with stats other than using accessories (all those +0's are accessory/equip modifiers for stats). I think SOTN did this too: let the game handle stat growth, taking the trouble of worrying about this from the player's hands, so perhaps it's a good thing.

wrowa

I honestly didn't expect this game to be looking so awesome. Hopefully the final game will live up to its trailer - I know that I'm going to buy it in a heartbeat, though. :)

Nohar

Very interesting. Don't have any more money to spend though, but as soon as I have I will consider backing your game, which seems quite promising. The thing is that I've been a little disappointed lately in Kickstarter projects (I was expecting something else from Valdis Story, another Metroidvania (kinda) game, and it would probably be best to not talk about what happened with Republique...), so now I'm refraining from backing as easily as before. In any case, if your game turns out to be good, I'll definitly buy it once it's released.

Also, you are very close to the $60,000. I have no doubt that your project will be funded.

Well I'm glad that you recognized the "darkness" there, but please don't mistake Alonso for a "shock jock" or whatever that term is. That was something that he was worried about with showing the elder scene, people perceiving him as abusing graphic violence throughout the game just to lure eyeballs. Scenes like that are, as of now, rare and measured throughout the game.

Alonso's an independent filmmaker as much as a game developer, if not more so, so as you might guess he's more interested in making those scenes few and impactful than exploiting them because he can.
Well seeing as there was no real gore in the rest of the trailer, I assumed that it would be used sparingly in the game. That's the only reason it was so shocking and I'm sure that scene was specifically put in the trailer to break expectations and let us know that the game isn't all green grass and fluffy clouds.

Koren

~$3.5k, tied with PlayStarbound.com courtesy of the Chucklefishers. It's good though! I wish I had the data over time, because GAF was number 1 for the first 8 or so hours of the campaign
I'm curious... How can you figure this kind of stat?

Burt

Man, that was a nice thing to wake up to. Felt great seeing the RPS article too, I'm a big fan.

Thank you everyone for all of the support! We're not done on our end yet though, getting our first stretch goal up ASAP, if nothing else. Will do a right up after I get through all the morning house cleaning.

RPGCrazied

I also hope this gets a widescreen option or something. I can't play games anymore that doesn't fit the screen. I can't stand black bars/borders.

If its an image quality thing, just add filters? Like the SNES emulators offer.

New update
f9999743ca5ab687894d458310bb5f73_large.png

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My. Goodness. I cannot believe what has just happened! You guys have funded us in such a short amount of time! We’re funded! I’m in a ridiculous mix of agitation, incredulity and absolute gratitude. Thanks so much to everyone who helped us through our amazing first days! Again, never in our wildest dreams did we expect anything close to the kind of support that we’ve received, but now that we have it, we’ll do everything we can to live up to your expectations!

We were also Greenlit yesterday—we expected that to take months to get through. Unbelievable! But thanks again to everyone who managed to make it over to the page and cast their vote before we got the go-ahead!

I hope you’re not tired already of hearing us say this, but we can’t stop saying thank you for helping us solidify the future of this project! I personally completely indebted to you.

Stretch Goals
We’re hard at work right now lining up our first set of stretch goals to get them to you as soon as possible. After listening to some of your comments, we’re making goals that include additional game content like challenge dungeons, additional game modes like new game+, and perhaps even upgrading part of the game’s soundtrack to use real instruments! Of course, we’re also working on porting the game to other platforms. We’re trying to make exciting and worthwhile stretch goals for you, but at the same time we want to avoid jeopardizing the game itself by bloating our goals.

mao2

This game is beautiful. Since it's already funded, I guess I can wait a bit until they announce the console port stretch goals.

lol, it's like the devs can't keep up with the funding pace. Almost 115%, that's usually like a first stretch goal achieved already for most campaigns

wrowa

To be honest, it kind of makes me feel uneasy that they're going to beat their actual goal by a long-shot. Considering the game has already been in development for 7 years, I kind of fear that too much money can cause the project to lose focus, since the developers might feel forced to add additional stuff literally everyhwere.

I wouldn't complain about console releases, though. ;) Though, I'd actually prefer to see it being ported to Vita and 3DS. Would be great if that's in the cards.

Burt

lol, it's like the devs can't keep up with the funding pace. Almost 115%, that's usually like a first stretch goal achieved already for most campaigns

Apologies, we had a bit of an issue this morning that's taken more time than we thought it would. We're past it now, and should have some good news soon :)

aparisi2274

If this had a console tier, I would probably back it, but since it does not, and I do not play PC games, I doubt I will back it.

Apologies, we had a bit of an issue this morning that's taken more time than we thought it would. We're past it now, and should have some good news soon :)
No need to apologize, that wasn't a criticism. It's great that the campaign is exceeding all your expectations

Burt

If this had a console tier, I would probably back it, but since it does not, and I do not play PC games, I doubt I will back it.

What console?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1184202489/heart-forth-alicia/posts/814265

Update 3: Stretch Goals Are Here! New Game+, Challenge Dungeons, and... *drumroll*... the PS4 Port!

It's finally here!

Apologies for the delay while we worked out the final kinks, but it’s finally begun! Let’s go through our first set of stretch goals one by one:

$75,000 - New Game+

Our first stretch goal is for that good old fashioned RPG staple, New Game+. Heart Forth, Alicia's New Game+ mode will put players in a drastically more difficult world where many of the games variables will be altered to make the playthrough more challenging, including stronger enemies, more lethal environments, unique New Game+ foes, and plenty of other hidden surprises. You won’t be helpless, though. Players will start with all of the money from their previous run, three New Game+ exclusive accessories, increased stats compared to a normal playthrough, and more. We might even toss in some super special secrets only available to players on their New Game+ run :)

$90,000 - Challenge Dungeons

We’ll carefully hide three secret challenge dungeons in different spots of the game world, each one creating a unique sequence of challenging rooms filled with swarms of enemies for Alicia to conquer on her way downward (or upward!) to retrieve a shiny new reward. Think “Deep Dungeon” from Final Fantasy Tactics or “Savage Labyrinth” from Wind Waker and you’re on the right track. Of course, we’re always open to backer input, so if you have an idea you think would work great in a challenge dungeon, let us know!

$110,000 - The PS4 Port

The big one. We know that tons of you have been dying for any news on ports, so we’re incredibly excited to confirm that Heart Forth, Alicia is coming to the PS4! We’re working on implementing the PS4 port into our tiers, so keep an eye out for more news soon.

If we manage to break through this set of stretch goals, we’ll definitely do our best to be much more punctual with our next set. What will they be? You’ll have to wait and see :)

- Andrew

Top Bottom