• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Jburton

Banned
Hopefully the Nintendo Network will rectify this issue. Nintendo have already stated that they plan to do away with Friend Codes with the Wii U, so hopefully there'll be interconnectivity between the 3DS and Wii U accounts a lá the PS3 and Vita.

Make it happen, Nintendo! We need our IcarusGAF parties!

Hopefully they update the system on the 3DS when they release the WiiU.

Grisby

Beat it. I gotta say this is probably the best story that Nintendo has ever come up with, that and its extremely well produced. The voices are perfect and I was genuinely laughing at a lot of the jokes (
The hades/pit deal with them calling out each other's names was great
). I thought Lady Petal-something was Lightning and was pleased to see it was Ali Hillis doing the voice. Just an all around engaging but light-hearted tale.

Graphically Kid Icarus was also very impressive. The flying sections show off some gorgeous colors with huge set-piece deals that become more extravagant thanks to the
3D. I think its probably the best looking game on the system at the moment. The ground sections are considerably less awe-inspiring with lower detail and dull design.

Actually the game part is probably where I had the least amount of fun in KI. The air sections are mostly fine but I never really got a handle on the controls and really had to fine tune them to my liking (but at least I could!). On the ground controlling Pit becomes absolutely dreadful (
I love it when Viridi was talking about an all flying level at the end and how it made her disappointed but made me sigh with relief
) with Pit either moving to slow or dodging/rolling to his death. Just trying to keep my grip on the 3DS was a chore and I only really played a level or two at a time due the control problems. It's not like they were hard to understand, it's just that they weren't fun.

It's a shame and I wish that Nintendo had left out the ground portions which would have cut down on a lot of filler and made for a much better paced/gameplay controlling experience. There is a lot of content and the main game took me a good time to compete but I only have a desire to play through the on-rail sections again. Overall, I was very visually impressed and hope that who ever does story in say, Zelda, gets the people who made this to work on it.

Well, at least for the visuals and story. Leave the gameplay for another team.

Neiteio

The ground combat is the best part. Sometimes I think it would be interesting to sit next to someone and show them how effortlessly I play the ground sections and how smoothly it controls and how precise and fast-paced I can play them (no stand necessary, and I have big hands), and at the same time see what the ground-hater is doing that's making it so hard for them to play. The ground portions are the meat of the game and I don't see how someone could wish for -just- the flying parts. That's insane. But to each his own, I suppose.

Korosenai

The ground combat is the best part. Sometimes I think it would be interesting to sit next to someone and show them how effortlessly I play the ground sections and how smoothly it controls and how precise and fast-paced I can play them (no stand necessary, and I have big hands), and at the same time see what the ground-hater is doing that's making it so hard for them to play. The ground portions are the meat of the game and I don't see how someone could wish for -just- the flying parts. That's insane. But to each his own, I suppose.

I would like to do the same thing. It'd be interesting to watch them play.

PKrockin

This game is awesome. I racked up 40 hours before I even realized it, and I haven't even finished the story or touched multiplayer. I love replaying old chapters trying to beat on 9.0 and gather weapons and hearts for fusing more unique weapons. Best game on the 3DS by a mile.

The controls were weird and uncomfortable for a few hours, until I replayed Chapter 2 with a +3 Speed blade and it clicked. Effortlessly dodging and dashing around at high speeds and blasting enemies with pinpoint precision for the first time was such a cool moment.

Orcastar

Finally beat the game.

Great visuals, great story and humour and the game just has a really nice atmopshere to it, somewhat similar to Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. I loved all the banter between characters. And of course there's tons of content in the game; I really wasn't expecting it to be this "meaty". Managed to beat most chapters at intensity 6 or 7 (always started new chapters at 7 but usually ended up dying once per chapter) and even found most of the zodiac chambers, but there still seems to be tons of stuff to do.

Too bad that the controls just suck. Half the times I died I felt like it wasn't my fault but rather the unresponsive controls not letting me dodge in time or pointing me in the wrong direction or giving me a ranged attack when I wanted melee. I tried tweaking them too but that didn't help and really, I shouldn't have to do that in the first place. For me at least, the controls are just a mess and it's a real shame since the rest of the game is so good.

As such I have little desire to unlock all that content that I've yet to see. I can see myself replaying some chapters at slightly higher intensities, but I'm not gonna bother trying anything at intensity 9 (tried the first chapter a few times but always died once). As for multiplayer, yeah, seems functional enough, even managed to win a few Free-for-Alls, but I'm not too big on multiplayer games like this in general, and the controls are just as big of a mess as they are in single player.

But yeah, overall the game was a pleasant surprise, much better than I expected.

Jarsonot

I like the controls, but would still like to see a video of someone playing it and controlling it well. I like giant bomb's quick looks, but I wish they'd find an expert on the game to show the first level or two. I'm interested in the game, not THEIR ability to play the game =)

Hmm. So someone on GFAQs said he could cheat the multiplayer by playing with his sister and taping the attack button down on the small arena, and just leaving the system open all day. He'll get ~100 weapons a day to fuel his combinations. I tried it against CPUs, and I couldn't get it to work.

Here's the weirdness: sometimes I would rack up even 1000 points on auto-shot, but I would get a single heart! Why is that?

Insaniac

Hmm. So someone on GFAQs said he could cheat the multiplayer by playing with his sister and taping the attack button down on the small arena, and just leaving the system open all day. He'll get ~100 weapons a day to fuel his combinations. I tried it against CPUs, and I couldn't get it to work.

Here's the weirdness: sometimes I would rack up even 1000 points on auto-shot, but I would get a single heart! Why is that?

I'm pretty sure you have to be moving and stuff and get hearts and better weapons via multi, also you get better weapons the more non-bots you have in a game.

on another topic, i need some tips for using clubs. Specifically I really enjoy the Babel Club. Love those whirlwinds, and when you catch someone off guard you can deal a ton of damage (One time had full Energy Charge and got a triple kill with one charge shot :D). Only problem is on the open maps where getting close is really difficult with the speed decrease. Also difference between ore and babel club?

Insaniac

Got my first few wins online with a 300+ Viridi Palm.
Just goes to show that weapon > skill in this game.

don't know if you're being cynical, but this is not at all true. Its all about knowing how to play with your weapon type, what powers you incorporate and how cautious you are.

NEO0MJ

Need a bit of help. Can't seem to find an intensity gate/gates in chapter 12

Edit: Found it. Turns out it was the Virgo Palm chamber

I'll just leave this here.
kF5Cv.png
BIG picture, gotta draw more!

Chunky

So whoever out there's called Mikael, I had fun in our FFA's t'other day! My 3DS name's Lukie and I was a bit sad when I had to leave since there's no way of informing the other player...about anything. Seriously, even some stock phrases like 'Nicely Done' or 'Wow, you were really on my back!' would have been nice.

Neiteio

Chet, that Phosphora pic is amazing. Please post it in the spoiler thread as well! And I do hope you'll be making a color version with some nice shading to give it a solid look. :)

Phosphora's design really surprised me. It's refreshing to see a clean, simple design in this day and age of belts, zippers and shin armor. It's a design that has room to breathe and grow in people's minds, like Mario or Link. Her voice and personality were great, too. I hope she comes back in a potential sequel.

are you just using le brush tool at a super-high res chet?

Yes, with a tablet of course.
Chet, that Phosphora pic is amazing. Please post it in the spoiler thread as well! And I do hope you'll be making a color version with some nice shading to give it a solid look. :)
Of course I'm going to color her, I'm just really slow. Not to mention I have to draw Viridi and Medusa next...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Hmm...

Optical Blade:
Ranged: 1 star
Melee: 2 stars.
Value: 320

Overall defense +7
Health +1
Running speed +4
Stamina +3
Standing ch. shot +3