• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

ryushe

Huh, who'd a known that this game was going to be the best Star Fox game ever made?

themoreyouknow.jpg

Also, you guys were NOT joking about the music.

Pit or Palutena?
Palutena said it, and Pit corrected her :D
Man, that tutorial is full of choice quotes.

Loving the silliness of the game so far. One stage in and it feels like there's a ton of stuff just waiting to be done. It's very SAKURAAAAAAI so far.

Most of the extra stuff is Brawl-tier in terms of presentation. Records, music collection, 'trophy viewer' (Idols), even that screen where you smash squares by completing challenges (I was expecting a gold hammer :D)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
What do the cards do?

I haven't been paying much attention to the game at all but have a copy coming in today.
I don't see the point either, but everyone seems to want them all on french forums. If they build an RPG around cards in the future, I think it could be huge.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What do the cards do?

I haven't been paying much attention to the game at all but have a copy coming in today.

You look at them through the AR camera and the character models pop up. You put two cards facing one another and they 'fight', as each character has different attack and defence values.

That's it. It's all very gimmicky.

Ken

You look at them through the AR camera and the character models pop up. You put two cards facing one another and they 'fight', as each character has different attack and defence values.

That's it. It's all very gimmicky.

Ah, okay.

I was under the impression that they could unlock things in game, such as the the scanning of the sword card posted earlier would unlock that sword for use in the game. Now I won't feel as bad if I get some weird cards in my package.

backlot

Ah, okay.

I was under the impression that they could unlock things in game, such as the the scanning of the sword card posted earlier would unlock that sword for use in the game. Everyone posting pictures of the cards they got in the game also made me think it was a random set of cards in every package.

Well the cards are somewhat random. I think Pit and Palutena are the only guaranteed ones. I've also heard that scanning a card gives you 100 hearts in the game (currency basically) as well as a 3D model (like Smash Bros. trophies I guess).

I'm still waiting on UPS to get my game :(

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Got my copy but I'm having trouble registering my stuff on Club Nintendo, guess I'll wait till later.

As for my AR cards, I got:

Pit
Palutena
Magnus
Monoeye
First Blade
Twinbellows the Ferocious

Off to play!

zroid

Banned
Are Pit, Palutena and Twinbellows non-random? Seems like we all got those three. The other three I got were Fortune Bow, Magnus, and Mik

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just pulled the trigger on the Best Buy deal. I have to wait a week for its delivery, but it's better than my original plan of waiting forever for a price drop.

StAidan

Just got back to my office from in-store-picking-up my $30 Best Buy deal.

Reading all these impressions is driving me nuts, I might have to go home early today.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well the cards are somewhat random. I think Pit and Palutena are the only guaranteed ones. I've also heard that scanning a card gives you 100 hearts in the game (currency basically) as well as a 3D model (like Smash Bros. trophies I guess).

I'm still waiting on UPS to get my game :(

Yeah, you get hearts for scanning a card, and the trophy. Most if not all the trophies can be unlocked in-game as well, by meeting certain level requirements, or using the idol gambling thing (works exactly the the coin machine in Melee).

Pretty sure you don't get any items though. Items are earned in-game, bought from the store with hearts, or crafted with gems and/or combing items/gems.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
"Darn you balanced gameplay!"

Man, I haven't enjoyed dialog like this since No More Heroes. This is something special, alright /swoon

Azure J

I have to work a lot to get better at ground segments, but holy fucccccccccck this game is packed with content. Also flight levels are fucking godly. I just wish if I wasn't paying so much attention to getting the dialogue between Pit and Palutena at times. I almost got bodied on the Chapter 2 flight segment because I was enjoying the banter. :lol

Intensity meter is so awesome btw. I've been holding my own at about 4-5ish.

Edit: Holy shit this dialog:

Pit: Yeah! A treasure box!
Magus: That box is very clearly a trap.

*Me: Goes towards it anyways*

Magus: What is wrong with you? That was a blatant trap.
Pit: I can't help it! When I see a treasure box I go for the treasure box!
Magus: We'll see how long you survive doing things like that.

Ripping on me for my OCD for items and triggering in game scenarios while subtly trolling characters that always go for the treasure all at once. :p

Tunic

As soon as I am completed with my work day I will heading to Best Buy on my way home to pickup this game. Definitely looking forward to playing it based upon all the good feedback given here in the OT. Also, the magazine/website reviews seem to have given it good praise.

ryushe

Chapter 2 complete and I honestly can't believe some reviewers couldn't grasp the controls past chapter 5. Its almost become second nature now and honestly it's really intuitive how they combined elements. Might be a different case online, but as for the campaign, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Controls and all.

Also, I might be the only crazy one here, but I actually enjoy the ground portion of the game moreso than the air portion. Maybe it's because you spend your time in that section more than the air battles, but I'm just really liking it a whole lot. It also might be because Pit looks like a beast when he wreaks everyone's shop -- kinda like a Angelic version of Dante (DMC), the way he skips from side to side while he shots.

I'm also surprised no reviewer, to my knowledge at least, mentioned that this game has that "I'm being attacked from a given direction" indication most every modern FPS has. It makes managing the combat when surounded a lot easier and arguably vital to the game. Such a weird thing that it wasn't mentioned in the reviews thus far.

gloone

So I pre-ordered this once I found out it had cpp support and picked it up today only to find out that that was a lie.

Is the game expecting me to use the analog analog controller, the touch screen and the right trigger att the same time? I didn't find a third hand included in my box so how am I supposed to play the game?

Effect

Those who have been able to pick up the game from stores, how have things looked so far? Have retailers said anything yet about how sales have been for them in regard to the game? Or maybe it's to early to know seeing as people haven't gotten off work or out of school yet, at least here in the US. How about in other parts of the world?

Reknoc

So I pre-ordered this once I found out it had cpp support and picked it up today only to find out that that was a lie.

Is the game expecting me to use the analog analog controller, the touch screen and the right trigger att the same time? I didn't find a third hand included in my box so how am I supposed to play the game?

No. You use the left shoulder button.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
CVG review is great, I like this part:
There's no avoiding it: Uprising hates you. It hates your hands, and it hates your gaming preconceptions.

Survive the hand cramps and brain cramps follow. Uprising asks us to do what few games dare: to learn a genuinely new control scheme. The game's ground battles - more on them later - use the touch screen as a makeshift trackball. Dragging the stylus aims Pit's reticule, while flicking the screen causes the camera to spin. Tap during a spin and the view locks in place. As the game neatly surmises, it's "like stopping a spinning globe with your finger". Only to begin with it's closer to stopping a lawnmower blade with your finger: messy and full of swears.

Our first few hours are spent running into walls, overshooting turns and failing to hit enemies. It's an instinctual set-up, and these instincts take time to settle in. Get a feel for simple right-angle turns and you soon grow comfortable with smaller increments. After two hours, you're circle strafing like a pro. It's arguably faster than a second analogue stick, as long as you can unlearn second analogue sticks.

Front-loading a review with misery is kind of a bummer. That said, front- loading a game with misery is kind of a bummer, too. Know about the problems going in and you stand a better chance of overcoming them. And you need to overcome them, because Kid Icarus: Uprising is the freshest Nintendo game in years.
God I love this game.

sfried

Got the game yesterday, i played it for 20 minutes.
my jaw dropped several times at the art direction, at the cheerful atmosphere, at the funny voice dialogues, at the awesome flying sections... but when i actually landed on earth, just MEH.
Seriously, WTF were they thinking?
You seriously need to spend some time on the Control Options screen. I adjusted my reticule speed and turning speed momentum and everything worked as I expected. In fact, I strongly suggest people tinker with the Control Options screen first even before starting on the first level.

kSt

So here I am, left without my pre-ordered game. First class release day delivery my ass! "First Class mail aims to deliver your letter or packet the next working day." Not this time I guess. Tomorrow will be the third day already.
OK, I`m off to cry in the corner now.
Have fun guys!

zroid

Banned
Since Nintendo doesn't seem inclined at the moment to take full advantage of the cards, we ought to figure out a way to turn them into a game ourselves.

Just picked up my copy from the GameStop around the corner from my office. My AR cards are:

- Pit
- Palutena
- Dark Pit
- Three-Headed Hewdraw
- Violet Palm
- Monoeye

Just got back from picking up my copy from Best Buy. Ordered online and picked up in store.

When they opened the case to get my copy, there were 5 other copies waiting to be picked up.

Combined with the latest Amazon sales ranking, I really hope I was totally wrong about this game bombing hard.

WatTsu

Picked the game up this morning and I adore it. Got Pit, Palutena, Magnus, Dark Lord Gaol, Mik, and Tiger Claws for my cards and also scanned the Power of Flight card I got from Game Informer.

This might be one of the best games on the 3DS. Nintendo has just been killing it on this platform.

Top Bottom