• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

zroid

Banned
I can definitely see that the ground controls will take some getting used to, but I can equally tell that it won't take too long. Took a wee bit of damage on the first level due to an inability to move out of the way effectively, but I think that will improve after a few more sessions.

Loving everything about the game so far.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Guys I'm offering all my hearts to Palutena.

Please tell me she does sabisu sabisu before I realise I'm gimping myself on cool weapons.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Heh the messed up part for the guy is that we received the shipment with Kid Icarus on Tuesday, and our store isnt what you would call a Nintendo centric place...so that box must have been sitting there for a few days in their back room. I guess someone received them all, but never unpacked them, so there was no way he could look up the box number to just see which one had the games.

Haha you are most likely right about the Tuesday shipment. He was breaking down all the boxes and the KI one was the very last one at the bottom of all the boxes and it had a big white piece of paper taped to it that said:

Kid Icarus 3D SD 3/23
DO NO OPEN!!!

And yeah he couldn't look up the box number either. :(

Btw everyone, here are my AR cards:

VoqWm.jpg

And my Club Nintendo ones shipped out this Wednesday so hopefully I'll get some other cool ones!!!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Got used to the ground controls from the first stage. Either I'm an awesome gamer, or the small minority who didn't like the game are skill-less whimps.

racerx77

Banned
I was also told by the employee at my Best Buy that the code for classic KI would be e-mailed, but then noticed that it's also on the receipt, so be sure to check that!

zroid

Banned
replayed first level at 3.0. Felt a lot easier than the first time through (at 2.0), I think I'm getting the hang of the ground controls already.

Air controls are IMPECCABLE though. The stylus unquestionably puts twin stick to shame. I'm going to try again without the stand to see how that feels. One issue with the stand is I can't readjust the 3DS' position with my head so I have some difficulty keeping the 3D in focus.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Haha you are most likely right about the Tuesday shipment. He was breaking down all the boxes and the KI one was the very last one at the bottom of all the boxes and it had a big white piece of paper taped to it that said:

Kid Icarus 3D SD 3/23
DO NO OPEN!!!

And yeah he couldn't look up the box number either. :(

Btw everyone, here are my AR cards:

VoqWm.jpg

And my Club Nintendo ones shipped out this Wednesday so hopefully I'll get some other cool ones!!!

Thanks for this. All of the ones I didn't have scanned except for the First Blade.

hatchx

Banned
Just played a solid hour of multiplayer with my brother, then online.

Unfortunately there is no way for me and my bro to both play online with others. There is no 'join game' option as far as I can tell unless I select friend game. No way to join him in a random match-up.

Other than that the multiplayer is fantastic. Wait until you guys get into it. It is crazy. I can't believe how the framerate holds up. Big Tip: switch 'use item' to UP on the D-Pad. Will save your damn life.

zroid

Banned
replayed first level at 3.0. Felt a lot easier than the first time through (at 2.0), I think I'm getting the hang of the ground controls already.

Air controls are IMPECCABLE though. The stylus unquestionably puts twin stick to shame. I'm going to try again without the stand to see how that feels. One issue with the stand is I can't readjust the 3DS' position with my head so I have some difficulty keeping the 3D in focus.

Also, I should add that I'm a lefty but using the default controls (circle pad with stylus in right hand). Holding the stylus was a little awkward at first, but once I got used to that, everything else was pretty much fine. Aiming doesn't really require much finesse.

Pit
Palutena
Medusa
Dark Lord Gaol
Monoeye
First Blade

those are my Cards, I scanned them all to see the idols now kinda tempted to scan ever card image that I find online since I do not see any packs for sale online

KevinCow

Banned
I can definitely see the issues people were having with the controls. It's a bit weird, not exactly like I was expecting. I wish I could crank the sensitivity up more so I didn't have to rely on spinning for turning so much.

Still, I've been able to adjust. Aside from that, the game's pretty amazing. I'm very happy that the writing and voice acting turned out so much better than I expected after the first few showings.

I just beat Pandora's level. Amazing.

Raptomex

I can't decide if I want this game...I don't really know what kind of game it is. It's an on-rails style "shooter" or something, right?
On rails is only the flight parts. Everything else is on foot. So far.

I go:
Pit
Palutena
Medusa
Twin Bellows
EZ Cannon
Stackjaw

XenoRaven

Haven't had a chance to actually play the game yet due to work, but a few thoughts:

I opened the box, removed the booklets to see the art and saw Palutena wearing shades. That's when I knew I had made the right choice. My feelings were reinforced when looking at my set of AR cards. Outside of Atlus games and CEs, I don't remember the last time I bought a game that just came with something cool for the hell of it. The game feels like an expression of the love the creator has for this medium. At the risk of sounding like an old fogey, it's something that I feel is largely absent from games nowadays. Of course, this is just the vibe I've gotten from looking at the materials that came with it and running through the menus really quick. Then there's the stand. This thing is the icing on the cake for me. It's like someone came into Sakurai's office and said "Sakurai, this hurts my hand when I play it." But instead of being concerned, Sakurai just smiled and said "OK! I'll make a stand!" That's probably not how it happened, but that's how I'm going to assume it went anyway. All that said, I can't wait to get home and play the actual game.

branny

The only issues with the circle pad aiming scheme is that I don't think there's a way to do enemy dodge strafing like you can with the touchscreen method (holding the stylus on the enemy when close to it will let you dodge around it). Also, the flight sections aren't particular well-suited to face button movement, but I guess that's what the lefty CPP option was mainly for. It's still functional, but I'm not sure it'll work too well for higher intensities. There's no way to map individual schemes for flight and land sections, right?

I can definitely see the issues people were having with the controls. It's a bit weird, not exactly like I was expecting. I wish I could crank the sensitivity up more so I didn't have to rely on spinning for turning so much.
You've tried cranking the sensitivity up in the Reticle/Camera menu already? =\

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm so focused on the action that I can't keep track of all the dialogue. It's like Sakurai wants me to play in the easiest difficulty just for that lol.

Teknoman

Haven't had a chance to actually play the game yet due to work, but a few thoughts:

I opened the box, removed the booklets to see the art and saw Palutena wearing shades. That's when I knew I had made the right choice. My feelings were reinforced when looking at my set of AR cards. Outside of Atlus games and CEs, I don't remember the last time I bought a game that just came with something cool for the hell of it. The game feels like an expression of the love the creator has for this medium. At the risk of sounding like an old fogey, it's something that I feel is largely absent from games nowadays. Of course, this is just the vibe I've gotten from looking at the materials that came with it and running through the menus really quick. Then there's the stand. This thing is the icing on the cake for me. It's like someone came into Sakurai's office and said "Sakurai, this hurts my hand when I play it." But instead of being concerned, Sakurai just smiled and said "OK! I'll make a stand!" That's probably not how it happened, but that's how I'm going to assume it went anyway. All that said, I can't wait to get home and play the actual game.

He probably made a tutorial video on how to put together the box and why the stand was necessary before they shipped as well :p

racerx77

Banned
It's about halfway down on mine. Transaction info, credit card info, reward zone info, then the code plus a mention they are also e-mailing you the code. Then the standard refund/exchange stuff at the bottom.

branny

The stand is a lot sturdier than I expected, but I don't really see myself using it. Maybe later when my hand cramps up or arm gets tired or something.

I'm so focused on the action that I can't keep track of all the dialogue. It's like Sakurai wants me to play in the easiest difficulty just for that lol.
Or just play over and over and over, discovering a little more each time. :D

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Playing Vanguard was for instance more difficult to me than adjusting to ground sessions in KI. I don't get why people have so much trouble with it.

Teknoman

I keep trying to look back and forth between the action and the art. At least they speak loud enough and clear enough so you can hear everything.

gloone

So again, someone please explain to me how I'm supposed to play this without my left hand cramping up after a couple of minutes?

I play it now by holding the unit with my left hand with a finger on the left shoulder button and the stylus in my right hand.

This game would be amazing if it had ccp support (as it claimed it would have).

Tyeforce

It's about halfway down on mine. Transaction info, credit card info, reward zone info, then the code plus a mention they are also e-mailing you the code. Then the standard refund/exchange stuff at the bottom.
Yeah, it's definitely not on my receipt... =/ Oh well, I sent a message to Best Buy customer service, hopefully they get back to me soon.

Wizpig

Wut, claimed? never happened.

Only for lefties, and that's in the final game.

Quick question, GAF: if i start the game tomorrow, will i lose the first SpotPass item (if there is one today...)

edit. thanks for the answer about the cards.

Raptomex

I just made sure the 3D classic worked I haven't really played it yet. One of the greatest things about Uprising = Metroids.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I've decided to wait on this game. Not a long wait ... Target is having a B2G1 sales starting Sunday. Hopefully they input it wrong and it B1G1 again for a few hours like last time.

KevinCow

Banned
You've tried cranking the sensitivity up in the Reticle/Camera menu already? =\

All the way. And and yet, I can still only turn about 180 degrees if I slide the stylus from one side of the touch screen to the other.

For comparison, my preferred sensitivity in Metroid Prime Hunters let me do about two and a half full turns by doing the same thing. And that was at about 4/10 on the sensitivity in that game.

Still, it's not something I can't get used to.

So again, someone please explain to me how I'm supposed to play this without my left hand cramping up after a couple of minutes?

I play it now by holding the unit with my left hand with a finger on the left shoulder button and the stylus in my right hand.

This game would be amazing if it had ccp support (as it claimed it would have).

It helps to support the right side of the screen by wrapping your pinky back around the R button.

I also found the 3DS immensely more comfortable to hold in general after I bought a grip.

Azure J

The afterword from Palutena to Pit after beating
Great Reaper
officially put her in the highest tier of trolling Nintendo characters.

gloone

So I guess it's unplayable unless you want to use the plastic stand but at least they made the controls just as shitty for people who are left handed?

Can Nintendo patch games after they are released or should I just sell it right away and give up all hope on a playable game?

olimpia84

So far I like it a lot. I have completed only the first mission and fooled around the menus and the practice range. This game is simply packed with stuff. I'm still trying to get a good grip of all the content offered and the mechanics of buying, fusing weapons. I'm sure it will become clear after a few hours of fooling around with the game.

As far as the controls, they feel a bit weird to me. They are not bad and I'm still trying to adjust to them but nothing that will keep me from playing the game.

The 3D is average on this one, I had to turn it off after a few minutes because I started to get dizzy and get a headache. Not a big deal though, I found myself playing a bunch of games with the 3D completely off (like RE:Revelations).

Overall, I think this is shaping to be a great game that will last for a while...I haven't even touched the MP mode yet nor the AR cards stuff.

Thoraxes

Still, I've been able to adjust. Aside from that, the game's pretty amazing. I'm very happy that the writing and voice acting turned out so much better than I expected after the first few showings.

I just beat Pandora's level. Amazing.

I swear I saw in one of the videos that there's a way to quick-turn, no?

I don't have my copy yet otherwise I would find out for you.

jonno394

Just done Chapter 1 and re-did it straight after on Intensity 5. Really like the air combat, gonna take a while to get used to camera control on the ground though. Don't know where the complaints are coming about the controls, i'm not using the stand and just holding it my left hand with the second portion of my index finger resting on the L button for attacking.

Got a nice bow and some Orbitars for doing it on 5.0 and going through the intensity door. I didn't die once!

zroid

Banned
I would not be surprised if this becomes my #1 3DS game so far, unseating the firmly entrenched Pushmo. And this is based on merely 1 hour of play, more than half of which was spent in the menus and practice mode.

Unbelievable.

Need more time before I can say for certain, but it's looking very good.

olimpia84

I would not be surprised if this becomes my #1 3DS game so far, unseating the firmly entrenched Pushmo. And this is based on merely 1 hour of play, more than half of which was spent in the menus and practice mode.

Unbelievable.

Need more time before I can say for certain, but it's looking very good.

Same here, there's a ton of content and I think I spent more time looking at the menus and different options. I really hope this game does well.

Top Bottom