• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

KevinCow

Banned
Has anyone tried the autofill powers thing yet? I saw the tutorial for it, but I still don't get it I think

It just fills up the rest of the grid with a random assortment of powers. So if you know you definitely want healing and the giant death laser but don't really care about the rest, then just put healing and giant death laser on and press the autofill button, and it'll fit a random selection of powers into the rest of the grid.

Got the game and the 24 cards, no doubles - nice.

Highlights seem to be
battle gear Medusa and Poseidon

Game is great so far.

JoeFenix

Finished the first 3 levels on 9.0, amazingly good game!

Lots of subtle nuances to the controls, everything clicked for me after an hour and I've been having a blast just replaying the levels and perfect dodging the shit out of everything they throw at me!

Oh and the music..... goddamn!

Teknoman

Im on level three and these controls are fucking hand-cramping.

I'm not having fun.

The way you dash - with a hard push of the circle pad is a clear concession of only having one button available to your left index finger.

Even your index finger will feel cramped.

Have you played Super Smash Bros before? He just lifted the dash mechanic from there, also you dont have to dash all the time. As a matter of fact, sometimes its best to just stand your ground and dodge attacks.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I know everyone likes some "New Game Pr0n":

6863320216_85a26ba0c8_b.jpg

7009432163_9d4ea2380e_b.jpg

7009433611_66615ccec9_b.jpg

7009430479_59cd2071b5_b.jpg

.... threw my back out this afternoon, though :( First time I've ever done it, and it SUCKS! Don't know if I'm gonna be able to play this tonight.

EDIT: Also, Best Buy got a shit-ton of copies:

6863340336_e0ff82a484_b.jpg

I like how the club nintendo survey asks "What about the game made you want to buy Kid Icarus™: Uprising?" and one of the options is "It is from the creator of the Super Smash Bros. series, Masahiro Sakurai."
Pretty neat

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Got this earlier than anticipated. Really good so far despite the land controls being terrible. The dialogue... oh my god sooooo good.

SpokkX

I should learn my lesson and always trust Nintendo, they really play in a whole other league and can make anything fun

Game IS really amazing. Did not look all that great in videos imo but man is it fun to play and all the extras/weapons etc are just amazing. The writing is also great, really reminds me of sf64, really been wanting something similar since that game.

And the music... If it continues in this manner it will become one of the best ost ever. Controls are also good but took be about an hour to get used to which is unusual these days...

The only thing that bothers me is the 3ds low resolution which kind of hurt a game with this many small details...

Peff

Speaking of powers, they refill after the level is complete, right? It's not "once the number of uses is zero it's gone"? I haven't really used them because I wasn't sure.

Gino

Well I think this is right up there with SM3DL.

I have only played the first 3 levels mind you but so far it's amazing.

I had a tiny adjustment to the controls on ground... about 2 minutes.

I was thinking I would defiantly be complaining about not supporting dual analog but after playing I don't think it's necessary.

Still... would have been smart to offer it.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
oh mah gawd, LOVE IT *__*

Glad you like them :) I always LOVE when people take glamor shots of their new goodies; especially when it's something I'm wanting/looking forward to.

What'd you use to take those pics if you don't mind me asking?

Don't mind at all. Just an older Canon 40D and a nifty-fifty lens ;)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
To anyone who struggles with ground controls (+ everyone else): have you tried the FPS view? It then plays like your usual FPS, with the stylus replacing the mouse. And it plays like a dream with this set up, because there's no need to replace the camera obviously.

I'd like to hear from you, as I haven't seen a single post discussing it so far.

Just press X.

PK Gaming

http://rstvideo.com/screenshots/Kid_Icarus_Uprising_%7COT%7C_On_a_Wing_and_a_Prayer_-_Page_64_-_NeoGAF-20120323-225443.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Why ignore it when its 100% right... The CPP supports left handed players, nothing more. Yes its unfortunate it doesn't support dual sticks like the other games, but the box never lied. If you're having trouble setting it up, go to page 6 of the ingame manual, it'll explain to what to do.

sfried

Speaking of powers, they refill after the level is complete, right? It's not "once the number of uses is zero it's gone"? I haven't really used them because I wasn't sure.
The number of uses within the level. If you restart it they are restored.

Gino

To anyone who struggle with ground controls (+ everyone else): have you tried the FPS view? It then plays like any FPS, with the stylus replacing the mouse. And it plays like a dream with this set up, no need to replace the camera obviously.

I'd like to hear from you as I haven't a single post discussing it so far.

Just press X.

I changed to this on and off a couple times but didn't know how I did it... you just press X?

bluemax

Banned
Ugh, the controls are just so bad. The game is great but the controls are just so very lacking.

I'm contemplating getting the CPP just to see if it makes the game a little more enjoyable. Fighting the stupid stylus camera controls just ruins the experience very much.

If I was teaching a game design course I would present this game as how to ruin an otherwise stellar product with bad controls.

gloone

Why ignore it when its 100% right... The CPP supports left handed players, nothing more. Yes its unfortunate it doesn't support dual sticks like the other games, but the box never lied. If you're having trouble setting it up, go to page 6 of the ingame manual, it'll explain to what to do.

The problem is that the official Nintendo site never mentioned the left hand part of this. It just said "Supports Circle Pad Pro" and that's what I based my preorder on.

I'll give the game another try later but I'm just pissed since I bought it to play on the train to work (a 2 hour ride) and it was pretty much unplayable in that setting.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Ugh, the controls are just so bad. The game is great but the controls are just so very lacking.

I'm contemplating getting the CPP just to see if it makes the game a little more enjoyable. Fighting the stupid stylus camera controls just ruins the experience very much.

If I was teaching a game design course I would present this game as how to ruin an otherwise stellar product with bad controls.

You should PRESS X. This game has lots of options to find your confort zone, and this FPS view is one we are all used to. Nintendo probably didn't make it the default view not to lose japanese gamers.

It's incredible NO SINGLE REVIEWER mentioned this FPS mode: it's the way Kid Icarus is supposed to be played by most western gamers.

TRY IT AND SPREAD THE WORD.

Wow, I've only been through 3 chapters but I'm already blown away by this game. The production values are fantastic, this really feels like it has all the awesomeness (menus, music, visuals) of a top-end console game in a handheld package. I can tell that I'm going to be addicted to this whole loot/weapon system as well.

This game.... reminds me why I fell in love with games as a kid.
When I was a 7 year old this is what I imagined games would be like one day.

Everything about this game is so lovingly crafted.

1upmuffin

I've been playing some multiplayer and it is so much fun. It gets so intense when you are Pit and you're the one who kills Dark Pit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I have no desire for the CPP since I'm not even using the stylus. :lol

Opinions seem to vary from person to person, but I think it's more than okay for lefties to jump right in, especially ones like me who were freaking out because of Wii issues in the past.
Thank goodness.

As long as the alternate control schemes are fine, and it seems like they are based on impressions in this thread, totally going to jump right in on either Sunday or Monday. Everyone seems to be having so much fun.

There's a MUSIC GALLERY YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
OMG... Hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype...!

Ra1den

So people are turning the 3d on for this game, it seems. All I get when I turn it on is some ghosting. I've never really played a game with it on. Am I doing something wrong?

i don't have this game but i read the kotaku thing and it mentions you can get closer to palutena with hearts and she gets closer and closer to the screen

what happens

does reality untwine

Skilletor

So people are turning the 3d on for this game, it seems. All I get when I turn it on is some ghosting. I've never really played a game with it on. Am I doing something wrong?

Can you see 3D?

Maybe your eyes need to adjust or you need to find the "sweet spot"?

StAidan

Got my cards unpacked, don't think they're anything special:

- Pit
- Palutena
- Magnus
- Twinbellows the Ferocious
- Monoeye
- Fortune Bow

Top Bottom