• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

olimpia84

I loved the tutorial videos. The cheesy humor between Pit and Palutena in between the control explanations was brilliant I thought.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I have no idea what any of these are, but I've got:

Pit
Palutena
Magnus
Dark Lord Gaol
Ore Club
Mik

zroid

Banned
I'm playing sitting down with the 3DS resting on my lap and I haven't had any cramp issues.

This seems to be the way to do it, if the stand is inconvenient or unavailable. As long as you can rest it on some surface, the game feels much more comfortable to control.

30 more minutes at the office, an hour drive home, and then I'll soon be posting pics of my AR cards with the rest of you! Don't have too much fun without me guys!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I can definitely see the issues people were having with the controls. It's a bit weird, not exactly like I was expecting. I wish I could crank the sensitivity up more so I didn't have to rely on spinning for turning so much.

Still, I've been able to adjust. Aside from that, the game's pretty amazing. I'm very happy that the writing and voice acting turned out so much better than I expected after the first few showings.

I just beat Pandora's level. Amazing.

Have you already cranked it up as far as the options allow?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Quick Control Impressions (from a Lefty):

Like I have stated before, I don't have a CC Pro. So I'm playing with my right hand aiming and my left on the circle pad (I tried out the face buttons for movement.... yeah not too good). But I'm actually surprised at how accurate I still am with the right hand holding the stylus. Maybe it's because it only requires small movements, but it has worked pretty well so far. In fact, I would probably say that in the air I would stick with the current control scheme even if I had a CC Pro. I have trouble grasping movement with my right hand, so while I'm not as accurate with my right for aiming, I would be able to move a lot better which would even everything out (or maybe even give me an advantage).

As for on foot controls, things get tougher. I'm still accurate with my right, but I have trouble precisely turning around and controlling the camera. Though, interestingly, I tried out the face buttons for ground control with the stylus in my left, and I STILL had problems with the set-up. Maybe it was because of the cumbersome movement that is mapped to the face buttons, but I still couldn't get a grip on controlling the camera. So it makes me wonder, would my experience be any better with a CC Pro? Over time, probably. But I do think that us lefties can fully enjoy the experience without the add-on (considering most of us have come to terms with using the left hand for movement, and the right for camera control). So that is a good signs of things to come.

Quick Game Impressions:

The presentation in this game is amazing. I thought RE:R was a console experience on a handheld, but KI:U has really brought the whole kitchen sink to the table. Amazing music, good voice acting, gorgeous graphics, great dialog, tons of features/content, and just overwhelming awesome presentation. Not to mention the game is pretty darn awesome (aside from minor control problems) and is the Star Fox most of us have wanted since Star Fox 64.

And I haven't even touched multi-player yet!

Edit: Besides me still trying to fully grasp the ground controls, the main problem I have had is my left index finger feeling like it is about to fall off from awkwardly having to hit the L button while moving. Something about having to hold the 3DS up with the rest of the hand, while moving Pit with your thumb, and then shooting with the index finger stretches it into a weird position and makes it hurt like hell. Thankfully the stand partially fixes the problem.

Note: I have also had this problem while playing Mario Kart for long periods, but that was with my right hand and this is considerably worse....

zroid

Banned
Quick Control Impressions (from a Lefty):

Like I have stated before, I don't have a CC Pro. So I'm playing with my right hand aiming and my left on the circle pad (I tried out the face buttons for movement.... yeah not too good). But I'm actually surprised at how accurate I still am with the right hand holding the stylus.

Yup, I feel exactly the same way. Apart from feeling comfortable gripping a stylus with my right hand (which didn't take more than a few minutes), the aiming is completely manageable.

Kusagari

I beat chapter 2 so far. I like it, but holy shit does this game cramp up my left hand. No way I can marathon it for long periods of time. I was playing without the stand though. I'll use it next time to see if it helps.

The AR Cards I got are:

Pit
Palutena
Magnus
Twinbellows the Ferocious
Crusher Arm
Mik

Skilletor

So I haven't watched anything other than the initial reveal trailer for this. I know nothing about Icarus, don't know what this game is supposed to play, but I bought this today.

Also preordered a CCP at gamestop.

What did I get myself in to? Bought it pretty much because Nintendo's games on 3DS have been amazing thus far.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So I haven't watched anything other than the initial reveal trailer for this. I know nothing about Icarus, don't know what this game is supposed to play, but I bought this today.

Also preordered a CCP at gamestop.

What did I get myself in to? Bought it pretty much because Nintendo's games on 3DS have been amazing thus far.

To me it's an instant classic, with arcade roots that made me love videogames in the first place. It is easily the best 3DS game released so far, and may hold this crown for years, thanks to an insane replay value.

Fletcher

Fun game. Controls are a little wonky, but nothing crazy. Hardest thing for me is getting him to run forward. Totally stoked on this game. First Nintendo game I've been excited on in a while.

jonno394

Seeing as i'm off out in half an hour i've decided not to play any further than Chapter 1 as i'll probably just want to keep playing as I push on.

Tried Intensity 7, fuck me this stuff is insane, damage taken increases, number of enemies increases and so does their strength, health and regularity of attacks. Managed to finish it and the intensity area and got an awesome looking Darkness Bow, rating 221, with paralysis, speed, defence, health and one other perk I can't remember.

Tried it out, I think it's my new weapon of choice going forward.

PK Gaming

I'm having a blast with this game, its definitely exceeded my expectations. The controllers took some time to get used to, but I absolutely adore them now! Single player is incredible fun; The aerial portions are great, but I find that reviewers overrated them. In comparison, ground stages are much, MUCH more fun. My favorite so far has to be chapter 5's
pandora
stage and chapter 6's
Dark Pit
stage. Furthermore the multiplayer IS REALLY REALLY GOOD. I got a few matches in and I was having the time of my life. Honestly a game like this comes around every once in a while. I just hope its a huge success!

My weapon of choice are Blades. They're good at long range, and incredible in close quarters combat. I also LOVE bows and their homing capabilities. I can't wait until Pit gets Palutena's bow!!!

My AR cards:

Pit
Palutena
Medusa
Lord Gaol
Eggplant wizard
Minos
EZ cannon
Mik
Fiends Cauldron
Skyscraper Club
Fireworks cannon

branny

Man, I've just been tinkering in menus and replaying the first stage over and over. FFFFFFFFFFF so good.

Re:Lefty impressions

See, as a super lefty, I can't work the stylus with my right hand at all. The tutorial even mentions that it may be preferable for lefties to just use their thumbs. The circle pad aiming scheme is my personal preference. I think it'll be up to each person to find what works best for them, but I'm extremely surprised to not have any control problems at all when I went into this game thinking I'd just barely manage.

The circle pad aiming scheme isn't perfect (I mentioned the enemy strafe dodging that's missing as far as I know, and I kinda would've liked for the camera reset snapping to be a smidge quicker), but it is far more than adequate. Being able to handily snap the camera, quickly access special abilities, and hold the system with both hands is a great tradeoff. I'm curious to see if lefties with a CPP prefer that or face button movement. I'll mess with touchscreen aiming some more later on, but I wasn't particularly fond of all the flicking when I tried it.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I beat chapter 2 so far. I like it, but holy shit does this game cramp up my left hand. No way I can marathon it for long periods of time. I was playing without the stand though. I'll use it next time to see if it helps.

The AR Cards I got are:

Pit
Palutena
Magnus
Twinbellows the Ferocious
Crusher Arm
Mik

Use the stand. Makes a world of difference even though my back hurts since you kind of have to be hunched over. Oh well!

PK Gaming

Anyone else think that Palutena is a grade A troll? Some of things she says are unlike anything i've heard in most Nintendo games.

I ADORE her :D

Thank you to whoever it was who pointed out Best Buy's deal.

I wasn't going to pick this up because $40 is a bit steep for any game imo, but at $30 I was willing to get it.

Man I'm glad I did. Even as a leftie this game is great.

Prinny

Man, I've just been tinkering in menus and replaying the first stage over and over. FFFFFFFFFFF so good.

See, as a super lefty, I can't work the stylus with my right hand at all. The tutorial even mentions that it may be preferable for lefties to just use their thumbs. The circle pad aiming scheme is my personal preference. I think it'll be up to each person to find what works best for them, but I'm extremely surprised to not have any control problems at all when I went into this game thinking I'd just barely manage.

The circle pad aiming scheme isn't perfect (I mentioned the enemy strafe dodging that's missing as far as I know, and I kinda would've liked for the camera reset snapping to be a smidge quicker), but it is far more than adequate. Being able to handily snap the camera, quickly access special abilities, and hold the system with both hands is a great tradeoff. I'm curious to see if lefties with a CPP prefer that or face button movement. I'll mess with touchscreen aiming some more later on, but I wasn't particularly fond of all the flicking when I tried it.
You need to double tap A/B/X/Y quickly before an attack hit you (same as running).

I'm right handed but I'm using that control scheme too.

Just returned home from work and picked this up on my way home. The cards that I got were:
  • Pit
  • Palutena
  • Dark Pit
  • Dark Lord Gaol
  • Tiger Claws
  • Stackjaw

The $29.99 best buy sale pushed me into this. That and reward zone certificates and gift cards. Let's see how this goes. Super optimistic!

Didn't get a chance to actually play but I watched all of the tutorials( but man the writing is some top notch stuff...really funny here) and played around with teh controls.

I recommend you guys playing around and trying out the controls for a bit. The ground controls will take some getting used to...ironically it's the L button that is giving my old hands a problem. My left fingers are cramping up for some reason...must be getting old at 23...

damn kids got it easy.

Also for more grip I recommend the Mario kart wheel or as I like to call it the awesome pad (makes the 3DS a blast to hold).

Will get into this game later tonight. At the very least the amazing writing will make me play all the way through. Hate to be that guy but...Zelda could have used this type of attention.

Jus sayin.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Thanks, branny. I was looking in this thread for any lefty impressions at all (especially since I really hate using the stylus with my right hand since it's quite imprecise). Edit: Scrolled up and saw some more. Thanks to everyone else too!

If I don't really seem to need a CPP, I'll buy the game for sure. The composer list half-sold me, but if the controls seem serviceable at least, I'll give it a try.

zroid

Banned
Or you could just use abxy to aim. I'm a leftie and that's what I"m doing. The aiming doesn't seem to need to be really accurate in this game.

Tried that, didn't really like it. The fact that it doesn't need to be accurate is why we can manage holding the stylus in the nondominant hand. What you do kind of need is quick response time, which is a bit lacking with button presses.

Up to chapter 8, really like the game but still finding the ground camera controls fiddly at times. Not using the stand, I just rest the console on my lap.

The intensity thing is brilliant. Excellent solution to the difficulty problem. The fact that it's a risk\reward gamble is cool as well. Also the dialogue is much better than I was expecting. Been mostly using cannons and bows. Volcano Arm is my strongest weapon at the moment. It inflicts confusion and sets enemies on fire which can be really handy at times. Strangely I can't seem to get the cards to work though.

I don't think I've had so much hype for a game while also being wary of its functional design. I feel like I need it cause Sakurai games are feature and content packed beasts, but all the control-talk sounds kinda worrying.

Sapiens

Im on level three and these controls are fucking hand-cramping.

I'm not having fun.

The way you dash - with a hard push of the circle pad is a clear concession of only having one button available to your left index finger.

Even your index finger will feel cramped.

I don't get all the control problems. I've been playing this all day and my left hand still didn't die and burn.

Quick question, what does it mean when item fusion leads to a "?" result?
Can those weapons just not be fused, or can I just not get those fusions yet?

6iRAZ.jpg

Pit
Palutena
Three-Headed Hewdraw
Medusa, Queen of the Underworld
First Blade
Stackjaw

Anyone else get this 3 headed guy?

branny

You need to double tap A/B/X/Y quickly before an attack it you (same as running).
No, you're right--that works. The thing I'm talking about is what you can do with the stylus where you hold the stylus down over an enemy and do the same dodge without needing to be attacked first. It only works close up, but I haven't figured out how to do that with the circle pad aiming scheme.

Thanks, branny. I was looking in this thread for any lefty impressions at all (especially since I really hate using the stylus with my right hand since it's quite imprecise). Edit: Scrolled up and saw some more. Thanks to everyone else too!

If I don't really seem to need a CPP, I'll buy the game for sure. The composer list half-sold me, but if the controls seem serviceable at least, I'll give it a try.
Yeah, I have no desire for the CPP since I'm not even using the stylus. :lol

Opinions seem to vary from person to person, but I think it's more than okay for lefties to jump right in, especially ones like me who were freaking out because of Wii issues in the past.

Thoraxes

Just started the game.

Holy shit you can feel the amazing production values. Like, I can taste it.

There's a MUSIC GALLERY YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

My cards are:

-Pit
-Magnus
-Palutena
-Dark Lord Gaol
-First Blade
-Mik

Also the included stand works nicely on my desk.

backlot

I just got the game! My AR cards are

Pit
Palutena
Medusa
Twinbellows
Monoeye
Fortune Bow

Somehow these are the exact 6 cards I would have chosen after looking at what everyone else got.

Should really emphasize this is $29.99 at best buy today

soooo great, and for an older gentleman with ginormous hands, the controls are not THAT bad...game is too fun to notice haha

Top Bottom