• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kiefer Sutherland is the new Snake

Persona86

Banned
People are forgetting that the change of voice actor goes along with the change in this MGSV, there's an obvious unique quality to this new MGS, it's not really a reboot, but it's almost a reboot IMO.

Plus I still think Hayter may be Solid Snake still, his voice is classic, yet it feels old, a new voice helps make a fresh experience. But if both Hayter and Keifer is in this, then it will be perfect. which is why I think this is what will happen.

NYR94

I'm cool with this. His voice sounded good in the trailer a few months ago. Big Boss and Solid Snake are two different characters so them having different voices isn't a big deal to me. If I want to hear Hayter, I can revisit any of the past titles. I enjoy them all (except Portable Ops).

Swifty

It's going to be so weird when you hear Kiefer's commanding and emotionally nuanced voice among the sea of anime dub voice overs.

ezekial45

Banned
I have to say, the pre-release coverage and hype building for this game is the most bizarre of any title in this series. I really love it.

fardeenah

Banned
has kojima even hear keifer acts??? all he does is scream.... and yell in his roles... i hightly doubt he will give us that range of emotions he is looking for... man .. snake is hayter!!..... metal gearrrr

Majine

Banned
Next Up: Mario to be voiced by Gary Oldman

everyone-the-professional.gif

"It's-a-me, Marioo!!!"

SolidSnake305

Neo Member
So basically Kiefer Sutherland is Big Boss and Ishmael(Big Boss's slip personality), was I the only one expecting a trailer and some game play footage today?

I'm sure Sutherland isn't lacking in talent. That's not my hang up. Snake has a pretty distinct voice and that's the voice I identify him with.

Absolutely.

"Hey guys, I know Keanu Reeves was alright in the Matrix, but they are making another Matrix movie with Tom Cruise as Neo."

Sure, sure, its "just" the voice, but I don't find that true when Kiefer is motion capturing. Some of the lip movements just looked so... off... compared to the previous games.

Personally, I don't see this as that big of a deal. It might be a little jarring at first, but generally speaking if characters exist over any significant period of time, different actors portray the role. Rarely does one actor ever "own" the role in any meaningful way. Hayter's had the role for 15 years. It's hardly shocking to me that they might want to go in a different direction now.

I guess Ill just continue holding out hope that, if Solid Snake ever comes back, theyll bring Hayter in.
Im not opposed to Kiefer but I just wish they would have done this back in 2004 with MGS3. We wouldnt have even cared back then because Hayter would have never established himself as Big Boss yet.

Oh well. I love 24, I love Kiefer Sutherland, Im sure he will do a great job...but none of that is taking away the sting of having a Hayter-less MGS game. Im sad.

But when the game drops, Ill buy it and most likely forget about all of this. You have me by the balls, Kojima.

Basically this.

I love Metal Gear (I even have the FOXHOUND symbol tattoed on my arm) and David Hayter's voice and also love 24. I still don't know that to think of this change. Maybe when I'm playing the game everything will fit into place, maybe not. I'll certainly miss Hayter's voice, though.

MormaPope

Banned
It was a mistake to even cast hayter as BB in the first place. They only did it to satisfy a completely obvious ending twist in MGS3.

After MGS2 Kojima wanted a fantastic and crowd pleasing MGS, getting rid of Hayter then would've caused more backlash than now. Wouldn't be surprised if Kojima felt he was stuck using Hayter to please the fans.

I love the MGS series to death, I don't place all my love in the one David Hayter basket.

Socky

If he a) does a good job and b) I don't see Kiefer frickin' Sutherland every time I see Snake's face, I'm okay with this. If not, I guess it's tough, right? I had no problem with Hayter, hope the change is worth it.

hwy_61

Banned
Absolutely.

"Hey guys, I know Keanu Reeves was alright in the Matrix, but they are making another Matrix movie with Tom Cruise as Neo."

Sure, sure, its "just" the voice, but I don't find that true when Kiefer is motion capturing. Some of the lip movements just looked so... off... compared to the previous games.

I would totally watch a Tom Cruise Neo.

Megatron

I think it's great. I really liked Hayter, but there is no reason why video game characters can't be portrayed by different actors. How many people would have rather had Michael Keaton in the last Batman trilogy than Christian Bale? Great characters should be portrayed by different actors. Hayter was the voice of Snake for 4 games (plus maybe the portable titles? I don't remember) Let the character evolve and have someone else do it.

Did you watch the video? He has heard of it before.

Also all great actors are passionate about their job, it's not just another gig to him, there are interviews about his experience on 24, they show how much these roles mean to him.

Oh wow, no I hadn't. He actually says almost exactly what I wrote in my fake tweet. Oops, lol. Well, good point. Maybe he cares more about it than I think. No way he's more passionate about it than Hayter, but who knows maybe it'll be okay.

XOF

Neo Member
While I would have preferred Hayter stay in the role, I don't have an issue with this. His voice was absolutely iconic to the character and to the series, but having Kiefer play him might be good too. Still super looking forward to Metal Gear Solid V regardless.

jett

D-Member
Looks like you didn't read one of my earlier posts. One of the reasons I love(d) this franchise is that I've grown attached to the characters. Meaning ruining those characters ruins the franchise.

So to you the franchise has been ruined since 2008?

Betty

Banned
I think it's great. I really liked Hayter, but there is no reason why video game characters can't be portrayed by different actors. How many people would have rather had Michael Keaton in the last Batman trilogy than Christian Bale? Great characters should be portrayed by different actors. Hayter was the voice of Snake for 4 games (plus maybe the portable titles? I don't remember) Let the character evolve and have someone else do it.

He did the voice for 6 games, 4 console titles and the handhelds. That doesn't include the digital graphic novels, Super Smash Bros Brawl or the Twin Snakes remake.

Absolutely.

Meh. This kind of stuff happens. I'd probably be curious as to why Reeves wasn't reprising his role, and I'm not a big Cruise fan, but this stuff happens. You don't have to think long and hard to come up with examples where multiple actors have played the same character over the long (or even short term).

NYR94

It's going to be so weird when you hear Kiefer's commanding and emotionally nuanced voice among the sea of anime dub voice overs.

That's the important part, how does his work fit in among the other voice actors? It would be jarring if he's acting in one style while the other performers are working in an entirely different one. It will be interesting to see where the right tone is that the voice acting director settles on. Is Kris Zimmerman directing the English dub again?

This was neither good nor bad news to me, just strange. If anything it has made me even more curious about MGSV. I'll reserve judgement for when I've played the final product.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Kiefer is great news in my book. I'm not emotionally attached to Hayter's voice in any way and his performance in Guns of the Patriots was lacking, so you won't be hearing complaints from me.

N2NOther

Banned
Absolutely.

Tom Cruise as Neo is a great idea. Keanu is terrible. He's had one good performance in his entire career and that was in The Gift.

Top Bottom