• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kiefer Sutherland is the new Snake

Betty

Banned
"Franchise was ruined years ago mang!"
image.php

Still follows franchise.

AutumnAve

Also, didn't Hayter go under a different name for MGS1 because he didn't want his professional name attached to a videogame?

Not trying to start rumors, or tie bad news to him, but this talk of him being revered and respectful to the series has got me thinking.

I wasn't sure, so I went back and re-watched the opening of MGS1 and Hayter is credited with his real name.

Zabant

Hayter is a super nice guy, the kind of person that actually would step down from a role if Kojima said we're thinking of getting Sutherland to be big boss. He'd offer to help direct the voice acting or something, this idea that konami and kojima both kept hayter in the dark makes zero sense.

This saltyness is SUPER out of character for hayter also, i've been following him for a long ass time on twitter and seen some of his other work and he's never acted this way.

The quote about "I once knew a guy who played snake" is really unprofessional of konami also and kojima must know this kind of thing would piss off the fanbase.

Hayter is also the kind of dude that would agree to having a bit of fun with the fanbase and allow himself to appear to be thrown under the bus all for the purpose of pulling a fast one on the fans.

Edit: This is the guy that gave up most of his paycheck to get the original cast back for twin snakes remember, he isn't in it for the money.

Something is fishy here, and we all know kojima is a fucking troll, but he's not a dick.

There's more to this, id be incredibly shocked if everything is as it appears to be. There's always something else going on, especially when it comes to kojima.

finley83

Banned
This actually works for me. In MGS3 Snake sounded completely ridiculous, and Kiefer Sutherland is pretty much perfect for the role.

iLLmAtlc

Might sound like denial but Hayter's cryptic tweets have still yet to be explained? Why would someone who got devastated like that still help Konami promote anything?

I think it's great. I really liked Hayter, but there is no reason why video game characters can't be portrayed by different actors. How many people would have rather had Michael Keaton in the last Batman trilogy than Christian Bale? Great characters should be portrayed by different actors. Hayter was the voice of Snake for 4 games (plus maybe the portable titles? I don't remember) Let the character evolve and have someone else do it.

I said this in earlier post, but that's not the same thing. At all. Batman is a literary character handled by many different writers and artists, so it makes perfect sense to have different actors giving different takes on the character. But only Kojima is responsible for writing Metal Gear Solid, and he's given us one consistent "version" of both Snake and Big Boss. Suddenly changing the voice of such a recognized character is like giving Mario a new voice after all these years. When SEGA changes Sonic's voice actor every few years at least the general tone of the character's voice stays largely the same, but Kiefer has a very recognizable voice that is dramatically different than Hayter's, and Hayter's is iconic.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
No more codec calls? I'm pretty mad now. I loved the self-help, technochat, and shooting shit mechanics.

MormaPope

Banned
I hope they're ready for 5 to be the worst selling game of the series

I know I won't be picking it up because of bullshit like this as will most of the fanbase

Do you get angry when custodians and low level programmers are let go from development studios? Why does one character and one voice actor literally make or break an entire series and all the comes along with it?

Mononoke

Banned
Kind of surprised Konami would give such a long running voice actor the boot. Then again I haven't been keeping up with Metal Gear. Was Hayter's portrayal of Snake really slipping that they needed to get a new voice actor?

Or are they just hoping a big star like this will bring in more gamers?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
David Hayter ‏@DavidBHayter

To my beloved Tweeps,

I can't thank you enough for all your support. Getting fired was never so heartwarming.

You all rock,

DH

Edit: I feel bad for him :(

Valnen

Do you get angry when custodians and low level programmers are let go from development studios? Why does one character and one voice actor literally make or break an entire series and all the comes along with it?

Because it's literally the most important voice of the franchise? A voice that people have grown attached to over the years.

MormaPope

Banned
I wish people cared enough to make that happen, but this will sell millions as the series always does. People really just don't give a shit.

You want the game to tank because of a creative choice? You Hayters need to think about what you're hating on.

Because it's literally the most important voice of the franchise? A voice that people have grown attached to over the years.

Well, his voice acting didn't get any better. Wanting the worst option because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy is pretty odd.

Gun Animal

Everything since MGS2 had the lipflaps done by animators. This is the first time that they're doing performance capture from the voice actors, at least Boss in this case.

Lmao if Big Boss is the only character with speech/expression mocap and everyone else is done manually that's gonna look pretty damn weird.

Hayter is a super nice guy, the kind of person that actually would step down from a role if Kojima said we're thinking of getting Sutherland to be big boss. He'd offer to help direct the voice acting or something, this idea that konami and kojima both kept hayter in the dark makes zero sense.

This saltyness is SUPER out of character for hayter also, i've been following him for a long ass time on twitter and seen some of his other work and he's never acted this way.

The quote about "I once knew a guy who played snake" is really unprofessional of konami also and kojima must know this kind of thing would piss off the fanbase.

Hayter is also the kind of dude that would agree to having a bit of fun with the fanbase and allow himself to appear to be thrown under the bus all for the purpose of pulling a fast one on the fans.

Edit: This is they guy that gave up most of his paycheck to get the original cast back for twin snakes remember, he isn't in it for the money.

Something is fishy here, and we all know kojima is a fucking troll, but he's not a dick.

There's more to this, id be incredibly shocked if everything is as it appears to be. There's always something else going on, especially when it comes to kojima.

Where's this?

Tellaerin

Because for some of us, a game's more than a collection of models and play mechanics.

N2NOther

Banned
Nuh uh. Didn't you hear? If you change the main voice actor, then it is no longer Metal Gear. So if I took the past games and replaced Hayter with Kiefer than the games will turn into Call of Duty clones.
Oooooh. Shit. I didn't realize. My serious bad ;)

jett

D-Member
Which is why in Japan they're keeping the same voice actor!

it's the fact that they're trying to bs us that makes me mad.

Don't give me that shit Konami

Just admit Hayter angered you or you wanted a big name

What BS? They make it clear in the Kiefer trailer that they thought Hayter did a subpar job.

Alienous

Which is why in Japan they're keeping the same voice actor!

it's the fact that they're trying to bs us that makes me mad.

Don't give me that shit Konami

Just admit Hayter angered you or you wanted a big name

Because, in Japan, Big Boss is voiced by a different person than Solid Snake. In fact, Big Boss is voiced by the father of the voice actor of Solid Snake.

WinFonda

"set in 1984 when snake is 49 years old"

that doesn't add up with Solid Snake. Kiefer is playing Naked Snake aka Big Boss. This is an elaborate troll. Both Kiefer and Hayter will be snake in this game. Kiefer = Naked Snake. Hayter = Solid Snake.

Riposte

I'm hoping this is the most out-there game in the series since MGS2.

No, Kojima is a dick. For example he had no problem rubbing in the the failure of the first Metal Gear Rising team.

Should have replace Hayter earlier, around 2 (although he was good in 3), because now people think he's vital to metal gear or something. It's a voice.

Once Kojima goes however...

Top Bottom