• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct | Review Thread

Played this at a local MS store. Seemed fun, and would've been better had I remembered anything about how to play KI. Luckily Jago handled enough like a Ryu-clone that I could hack together a match (also helped that the MS employee I was playing against was even worse than me).

Surprised at some of the scores. It's a game with 6 characters and no character endings, it's obviously not finished but it gets some 8's... Interesting.

To be fair, reviews for games like fighters and racing sims should be judged by the FCG and the racing sim community... not gaming press.

Forza is undoubtedly going to get high scores, and I'm skeptical any of the reviewers will ever bring up the fact that Nurburgring is not on disc.

honestly i was expecting more than that.

from the videos i have seen, this game is amazing and its a killer app for me. its nothing less than 9.5 in a scale out of 10 for fighting games. its that fun to me.

if i were to buy xbox one any time soon. this game is the must buy for me.

i just can't afford 2 systems right now. but i will buy xbox one one day. and that game will be the first one to buy

Huh, have you played it?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Why so few characters? I haven't followed up the discussion a lot. Scores still seem ok for it.

They are using a very small team to make it

Every year is a new "season" of ~8 characters

So after 3 seasons (2 year wait in our eyes), there will be 24 characters each with story mode etc.

Story mode/arcade is coming with the 8th character... more content coming feature wise.

I feel despite these scores, this game is a can't miss.

Raven77

Wow, no story mode.

Skipping. I don't play competitively and no story mode might have been acceptable 20 years ago, but not now.

alstein

Surprised at some of the scores. It's a game with 6 characters and no character endings, it's obviously not finished but it gets some 8's... Interesting.

Skullgirls had 8 characters and got better review scores.

I suspect KI will have as many problems at launch as Skullgirls in terms of gameplay, if not more.

I did see a preview build at TFC- I was completely unimpressed, though much of it was not liking the artstyle at all and never liking the gameplay or series, so I'm pretty heavily biased against it, though I do like what they're doing on the non-gameplay side.

I do notice the irony that I'm criticizing the game in much the same way folks who dislike SG criticize SG.

Chairhome

IGN delayed their zoo tycoon review due to no multi, so they probably did try the multi for KI?
"Zoo Tycoon's multiplayer won't be in until a Day 1 Patch, so we're not ready to file our full review yet. But here's what our reviewer thinks so far. "

T.O.P

Banned
Wow, no story mode.

Skipping. I don't play competitively and no story mode might have been acceptable 20 years ago, but not now.

it has been known since E3

update later on when all characters are available, there would be no sense having a Story Mode without Fulgore and Spinal

Baleoce

@eurogamer 1 min
We're waiting to review Killer Instinct until we can play the game against another human, locally or online, which we have yet to manage.

This needs clarification. Is this an EG specific problem, or are all the other review outlets daring to actually post a review of a fighting game without actually trying any of the online components/netcode? If so, be ashamed.

The "against another human" bit is confusing. It either means there's some kind of bug in their build, or they have no second controller.

GavinGT

Banned
This needs clarification. Is this an EG specific problem, or are all the other review outlets daring to actually post a review of a fighting game without actually trying any of the online components/netcode? If so, be ashamed.

The "against another human" bit is confusing. It either means there's some kind of bug in their build, or they have no second controller.

Gerstmann says this:

I was hoping to have Killer Instinct ready, but technical issues (that probably won’t impact anyone once the console and game are actually released for real) are preventing me from playing it.

http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/

Hasney

Destructoid are holding their review until they can try netcode as well, so I'm assuming it's not possible at the moment.

REV 09

Solid scores...this was always going to be a weird game to review. Reviews mentioning it being half a game should also consider the price tag or lag there of in some cases.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
The jury is still out until someone weighs in on the netcode. Bad netcode = useless to most people. Simple as that.

Glad the initial scores are good though, but I'm not spending a cent on this game until quality online is confirmed.

harSon

Banned
Solid scores.

Would have probably scored higher if the game were further along in development and had a full roster and story mode present.

LTWheels

Games should be judged by what's on the disc, not what developers are promising for the future.
Surely you don't disagree.

It's a little bit different as you can already pay for the 7th and 8th character. It's not a case of the developers saying we 'may or may not add content in the future'.

Blu10

The reviewer from usgamer was definitely playing online... Wonder what EGs issue was.

Would have probably scored higher if the game were further along in development and had a full roster and story mode present.

Yes, the game could have gotten better grades if the game was complete. The scores are average but higher than I originally expected

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Anyone post this? Gamespot video review in progress: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH96R0Nc2no

notice that Jago's HP is doing some WEIRD glitching during his ultra, and that the hit spark for his fireball landing is crazy bright.

Otherwise, the reviewer-to-be seemed to have a great opinion of it thus far, and spoke out the options well.

These XB1 downloads reviews really seem to show a trend to launch games that want to build themselves up over time. It'll be interesting to see how it all works out, and to see if these scores have much effect on these games.

Odrion

Banned
Damn, you did it Double Helix.

Well, kinda, once you finish it up. But still! To go from stuff like Battleship and ruining Silent Hill to this!

Top Bottom