• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct | Review Thread

Begaria

I have to give Microsoft credit: pulling Killer Instinct out of the abyss as a launch title for the Xbox One was a stroke of pure genius.

Pain

Banned
I fully expect the downloadable/free to play games like this one to be the best reviewed games on next-gen consoles.

LTWheels

This all but confirms reviewers haven't played online. At the end he said "I look forward to going online later this week".

Has anyone specifically said in their review that they have played online?

From USgamer:

After logging nearly 100 games, I've found the game's online performance to be silky smooth. I experienced a couple of instances in which the opposing character seemed to teleport around the screen, which is how lag is presented in the "rollback" architecture of the netcode. However, even these glitches were few and far between. The only serious issues I had with the online play is that there's no way to tell where your opponent is located (not even a ping listing), and there's no lobby system. Whether you're playing exhibition matches or ranked matches, it's always one-on-one. There's no way to watch another match aside from the Game DVR built into the Xbox One; KI automatically records your last 200 matches, online or local.

as if # of characters != quality of a fighter

hmmm

It absolutely limits a fight game's depth. There is a reason most fighting games have at least 12-15 characters.

And again, we're talking about an 8.4 here. That is a very high score. I played the game and nothing about is struck me as that impressive.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
this might be the new model for mid-tier (non "AAA" budget) games in the future. Lower risk, lower costs, potentially high rewards.

This is how non-AAA franchises can be resurrected for the new generation and it's a pretty brilliant model IMO. You see forms of it being done by other publishers as well. Verrrrry interesting....

Hindle

Banned
In the coming years I think KI will evolve into a really world class game. As the devs add to it with DLC, new modes, and characters etc.

ItIsOkBro

Honestly, I wouldn't trust any reviewer telling me if it was or wasn't. That's generally something the community decides.

Ugh seriously. No offense to these reviewers, but when it comes to gameplay, their opinions seem more like a regurgitation the game's mechanics and what the training mode tells them. Based on previews, I know how the combo breaker system works. What I don't know is if it works well. We have the GameReactor reviewer who had to give up on a few of the training exercises so forget anything he concludes. Then there's the OXM review where advanced gameplay is limited to one sentence.

Double Helix redeemed. I will eat crow, I was not expecting this game to review well at all.

Perhaps fighting/combat heavy games are their specialty?

~~Hasan~~

Huh, have you played it?

no. but i am so hyped for this game i was about to cancel my ps4 pre order in favor for xbox one because of this.

i have seen no less than 50 videos of this game with people playing it. its exactly the kind of fun fighting games i like

i am huge fighting games fan. but i usually prefer this kind of games / street fighter over games like VF or SC.

i am also a huge Tekken fan

def sim

I'm surprised. I think it looks good but I didn't think it would be received well considering its early access-like nature.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
In the coming years I think KI will evolve into a really world class game. As the devs add to it with DLC, new modes, and characters etc.
It's sad that the game has to come out piecemeal though. Especially as that means some people will never experience the full title.

gatti-man

Oh my god if normal people give the game positive reviews im going to orgasm all over it. *fanboy childhood mode fully engaged*

It's sad that the game has to come out piecemeal though. Especially as that means some people will never experience the full title.

Microsoft wanted this at launch.

The core fighting mechanics are clearly sound, so if the fan base is there is should evolve into something great. Just like many other fighters have done the same.

I'm surprised. I think it looks good but I didn't think it would be received well considering its early access-like nature.

Yeah, given the presses love for Injustice due to things like the story mode and the total lack of features in KI I was expecting much worse scores. With that said I'm really glad it's pulling in these good scores just based on how fun it is to play.

yesss very excited to hear this. i've had a huge turnaround on this game since its reveal and i'm really happy to see that it's a worthy (to tell the truth, probably much superior) successor

and given the dev's involvement in the community already, it should only get better

Hindle

Banned

It's a shame yea.

But they'll be able to focus their attention on the different modes and make sure theyre really great. Whilst if they rushed it ready for launch, then most likely they would have been bad.

Nibiru

Banned
Why do they say that the game is only $20. From what I understand the full game is more. There are smaller packages but you get less of the game.

Unity2012

Ugh seriously. No offense to these reviewers, but when it comes to gameplay, their opinions seem more like a regurgitation the game's mechanics and what the training mode tells them. Based on previews, I know how the combo breaker system works. What I don't know is if it works well. We have the GameReactor reviewer who had to give up on a few of the training exercises so forget anything he concludes. Then there's the OXM review where advanced gameplay is limited to one sentence.

Agreed.

I wish some of the reviewers had seriously taken the time to actually learn how to play the game, I mean combos and features, the way that those interested in this genre will do.

Yeah, given the presses love for Injustice due to things like the story mode and the total lack of features in KI I was expecting much worse scores. With that said I'm really glad it's pulling in these good scores just based on how fun it is to play.

I think the training mode goes a long way. One of the biggest complaints about the genre is how it doesn't sufficiently teach you the mechanics. Having a game finally break it down to "This is what a Manual is" "This is what a Cross-up is" goes a long way. The depth of the game comes more from learning the actual deeper mechanics of the actual game as opposed to bruisering their way through the story mode with only a half understanding of them.

So far I've had a lot of fun exploring the nuances of Killer Instinct's combat system. Its simplified combos free me up to worry more about playing mind games with my opponent and less about running a manual dexterity challenge. Of course, I've still got a lot to learn as I prepare to take the fight online. Be on the lookout for the full review of Killer Instinct on the Xbox One later this week.

That's a really bad sign for me. I hope people who are actually decent at fighters can take this game apart and tell me what's up, cause these guys aren't doing it.

Baleoce

The way Double Helix seems to be approaching this, is as if it's a constantly evolving game. Putting it together piece by piece. Apparently even though the game is out, they're still tweaking character balance and core gameplay.

That must make it very difficult to review, no? I mean, what you're essentially saying by constantly revising the game, is that it's not complete yet, right? We already know it's got a season style business model, but does that mean it gets a slide for not having things like online lobbies at launch? How do you even review a game like this at launch? I genuinely don't understand. Do you mark it for potential, on what you think the game will become given enough time? Or do you just flat out base it on what it's currently like? Because if the latter is truly the case..

Sydle

So the small roster and lack of modes hurt it a bit, but still comes out to be well reviewed. It will be interesting to see if any sites re-review the game with each season.

Double Helix redeemed. I will eat crow, I was not expecting this game to review well at all.

Perhaps fighting/combat heavy games are their specialty?

There was a new team formed, made of several well-known fighting game veterans that worked on games like Street Fighter II Turbo, Skull Girls, and Weapon Lord. This was revealed very shortly after the E3 presentation.

I think a lot of people missed that news because they immediately dismissed it after hearing DH was on it and never bothered looking back.

Why do they say that the game is only $20. From what I understand the full game is more. There are smaller packages but you get less of the game.

The full game is $20. The $40 Ultra edition comes with some extra accessories, classic costumes, early access to future characters, and the KI arcade port.

Top Bottom