• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct | Review Thread

LTWheels

I really recommend USgamers review. It was done by DrDogg. It's not some random videogame journalist who does not understand fighting games.

6 chars = 6 potential opponents only. That's very shallow by any standards and basically means the single-player aspect is almost inconsequential beyond a training mechanism.

I'm not saying that what's there can't be great, but you simply cannot ignore how thin the content is when judging its value.

Value is subjective but besides that, the depth of fighting games comes from mastering the ins and outs of characters and then mastering the match ups with every other character. The fact is, you're probably not going to do that sufficiently with every character in a week. Probably not in a few months even and by then another character comes out. Then another in another month.

Here's a music teaser for Killer Instinct with Orchid, Thunder, Sadira, Glacius, Spinal's themes. https://soundcloud.com/mickgordon/killer-instinct-2013-music-1

IG5L2GG.jpg

WHY NO KILLER CUTS THOUGH.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
weird that such a barebones game is a launch one though. Gonna be fun to dick around day 1 when xbl is hammered. hope you have someone local.

That tends to be how f2p games launch, and this is pretty close to f2p.

It does make an interesting review setup though since f2p games are usually "out early, add more later" yet reviews work entirely around finished products.

I was quite curious to see how this would review due to that, since it gives a sign of how f2p games will go over in the future as they get more and more prominent this generation.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
For $20, I'm biting after these reviews. Trying to decide if I really care enough about outfits and accessories and shit to get the $40 version.

fin

I dont get the bare-bones complaints. Its only $20.

If you dont think its worth it wait a year and pay $60.

New002

Solid reviews given the F2P, work in progress nature of the game. People ragged so hard on this game due to Double Helix being involved but it's nice to see the game is reviewing well. This game is the main reason I am jumping into next-gen at the start, though I technically already jumped in with the Wii U :).

Anyone know if Jonathan Holmes (from Destructoid) is handling the KI review? He's one of the few gaming journalists who knows his way around a fighting game and his opinion is one of the few I respect for this genre.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Doesn't seem like the industry seems to be very receptive to pricing and rollout models popularized on the PC.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Doesn't seem like the industry seems to be very receptive to pricing and rollout models popularized on the PC.

You can't review a platform with initial content. 2 years down the line? Then lets make a conclusion.

Game has a very good foundation... add in story mode, arcade ladder, lobby, more random options (red-rolling) and 16 more characters, stages and 16 more absolutely godly tunes from Mick Gordon... as well as a lot more "skins" and accessories... then the model starts to take off.

LoL wasn't a megahit on day one.

fallingdove

Great reviews! Especially considering what is included with the initial product. I hope people stick with the game long enough so that there is still a community when I finally get my Xbone.

shandy706

Listening to Teaser 1 and Teaser 2 has given me my first real chills for this new generation.

Bringing back big time memories from 19 years ago. The quarters and hours I poured into KI in the arcades was immense. I was 11-12 and it was amazing.

DMczaf

I am going to buy an Xbox One (at some point) just to play Killer Instinct. There is no doubt in my mind after listening to that soundtrack suite.

They completely nailed the sound of KI.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
0:00 - Orchid
2:02 - Killer Instinct theme
4:08 - Glacius
5:16 - Thunder
6:45 - Sadira
8:05 - Sabrewulf
9:25 - Spinal tease

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
That tends to be how f2p games launch, and this is pretty close to f2p.

Except as an actual thing, its not free-to-play!

Unless I'm missing something, you are paying $20 for the base pack, more for each character, and on top of that you still need to pay XBL Gold in order to play online - which you will need to, given its ultra-basic single player content.

Sorry to rag on it, but this doesn't seem like a good deal to me!

Wish the XBone supported my Quanba stick, although it seems the pad controls aren't too bad based on the reviews.

(Speaking of sticks, does anyone know if the PS4 supports PS3 sticks or is it like the XBone where it requires new hardware?)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Unless I'm missing something, you are paying $20 for the base pack, more for each character

$20 is every character, the "base pack" is free (1 free character + all modes including online/dojo/story/offline vs)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
So you're saying $60 for 24 characters/stages isn't a good deal?
And its 8, not 6.

Do you like season passes? Because that's what it sounds like to me.

Oneida said:
Yup, the $20 version includes the 2 DLC characters as well.

That's a bit better than I thought then. Its just that when thinking about versus gaming I always work on the principle that the amount of actual content is number of chars squared, because every character needs to balance against every other character including mirror-matchups.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, based on video reviews, it seems the lovely object motion blur that was present at one time in earlier builds has been removed? What's up with that? It was one of the visual features that really helped the visual stand out, I thought. Really disappointing if true.

I wonder if there is an option ala Tekken 6/TTT2?

Top Bottom