• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct | Review Thread

T.O.P

Banned
Here's a music teaser for Killer Instinct with Orchid, Thunder, Sadira, Glacius, Spinal's themes. https://soundcloud.com/mickgordon/killer-instinct-2013-music-1

tumblr_inline_mvsvf5hHkO1qhun9a.gif

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
So far I've had a lot of fun exploring the nuances of Killer Instinct's combat system. Its simplified combos free me up to worry more about playing mind games with my opponent and less about running a manual dexterity challenge. Of course, I've still got a lot to learn as I prepare to take the fight online. Be on the lookout for the full review of Killer Instinct on the Xbox One later this week.

That's a really bad sign for me. I hope people who are actually decent at fighters can take this game apart and tell me what's up, cause these guys aren't doing it.

Don't worry dude. The basic combo structure is surface level KI. Learn manuals and you have the combo complexity of Capcom vs SNK 2. I guarantee you, nobody outside of the developers is actually performing manual combos.

Vestal

Gold Member
Why do they say that the game is only $20. From what I understand the full game is more. There are smaller packages but you get less of the game.

full game including 8 characters and story mode to come in march is 20 dollars.

the 40 and 50 dollar ones include free character customizations and a copy of the original arcade game.

So far I've had a lot of fun exploring the nuances of Killer Instinct's combat system. Its simplified combos free me up to worry more about playing mind games with my opponent and less about running a manual dexterity challenge. Of course, I've still got a lot to learn as I prepare to take the fight online. Be on the lookout for the full review of Killer Instinct on the Xbox One later this week.

That's a really bad sign for me. I hope people who are actually decent at fighters can take this game apart and tell me what's up, cause these guys aren't doing it.

Lots of people have already been doing this for months. Look up Max's videos or plenty of the posts in the other KI threads like DrDog's (he works for PrimaGames).

gogojira

What I expected. I think the game is going to be great and evolve into something better, but it's going to get hit for limited options and characters. It's a shame they couldn't have at least cranked out the additional two characters coming soon.

weeeeezy

Banned
A little off topic but serious question. Would you guys consider a killer instinct vs marvel type game? Or including characters from other games, like Master Chief?

Malo

Banned
Does the XBOX ONE controller's d-pad suck for fighting games like the 360's controller does?
Played it over the weekend at the time warner center here in NYC and the d-pad has been greatly improved. Played ten matches and had no issues with it.

Sydle

A little off topic but serious question. Would you guys consider a killer instinct vs marvel type game? Or including characters from other games, like Master Chief?

When they revealed Chief Thunder they dropped "Chief" out of his name. When asked, the devs said they have some other plans and left it at that.

I'm guessing Master Chief will probably be added as a season 2 headliner, right before or with Halo 5.

What I expected. I think the game is going to be great and evolve into something better, but it's going to get hit for limited options and characters. It's a shame they couldn't have at least cranked out the additional two characters coming soon.

I wish they could have too if for no other reason than to reduce the confusion of what you're buying. In a weird way though, knowing 2 more characters are coming makes me more confident in their commitment to continuously update the game. Hopefully we get a season 2 sooner than later.

A year from now, Killer Instinct could be one of the best fighting games ever made. In its current state, it feels like the inherently replayable foundation for something bigger. The general lack of content is made up for by the mind-blowing fun factor, where pick-up-and-play controls meet meticulously crafted game mechanics. And despite the sensation that I've seen everything there is to see, I suspect I'll still be playing KI for months. Because sometimes, an awesome piece of a finished product is all you need to enjoy yourself.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sorry, but those scores do not reflect how bare-bones the content is.

Especially given some of the complaints regarding Resogun's content, which is from what I've read a far more complete and substantial experience, I can't help but feel that its being treated conspicuously gently.

weeeeezy

Banned
When they revealed Chief Thunder they dropped "Chief" out of his name. When asked, the devs said they have some other plans. Master Chief will probably be added as a season 2 headliner, right before or with Halo 5.
I can't believe I missed this. Is there anymore rumor reports on this?

danwarb

Especially given some of the complaints regarding Resogun's content, which is from what I've read a far more complete and substantial experience, I can't help but feel that its being treated conspicuously gently.

No, I think it's just a very, very good foundation.

And it sounds beautiful.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House

Probably because it's an underdog.

Nobody expected it to be good. Short dev time. Bad track record. DRM crazyness. Ends up being one of the better games on the system.

Brashnir

They're both arcade games that live and die on their replayability. I didn't see these reviews complaining about a lack of content in Resogun, (probably because I didn't really read any of the reviews... funny that) but Resogun is something like 40 minutes long. The call it "complete and substantial" is a pretty odd thing to say about it. I enjoyed the heck out of it, but a content-rich game it isn't.

I think the brevity is one of Resogun's strengths, to be honest.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Sounds like the first exclusive will end up being favorably reviewed, shaking up the track record of Double Helix in the process. Now all that's left is everyone embrace the model and this will be considered a successful, safe way to bring back old franchises.

C Jones

Great scores considering the game is basically a foundation for a full title. Can't wait for day one.

Any talk of a spectator mode coming eventually?

Expanding the games content over time is part of the games business model. It is also priced to reflect the content available at launch; you get part of the game for part of the price.

No. What I heard when they talked about it before was they dropped the "Chief" to be a little more respectful to Native American culture.

They have said they are open to guest characters like Master Chief but they don't have any plans right now. Something to consider in maybe Season 3.

When they revealed Chief Thunder they dropped "Chief" out of his name. When asked, the devs said they have some other plans. Master Chief will probably be added as a season 2 headliner, right before or with Halo 5.

Sounds like a stretch, but I guess crazier things have happened.

Sydle

I should have added a line break.

The devs said they had other plans and left it at that.

Only some of us speculated it was because Master Chief was being added. And I inserted a guess as to when given that Halo 5 is out next holiday and KI season 2 is late next year as well.

clav

This game is the only reason to own a XB1 right now for most people.

I'm tempted, but I realize in the past, I have always missed out on the special edition Xboxes. Will probably wait for the Halo edition.

Music is GODLIKE.

These aren't outstanding reviews, but they're certainly not bad either. Especially when we consider how we felt after finding out who the developer was, and that it was F2P(ish).

Man, that soundtrack! SO GOOD!

These aren't outstanding reviews, but they're certainly not bad either. Especially when we consider how we felt after finding out who the developer was, and that it was F2P(ish).

Seems they did a great job with the gameplay which is good to hear, just the content is currently lacking which should be a non-issue in the future as they keep adding new stuff to the same platform. Nice to have the free/cheaper way to play it in the meantime.

vg260

When they revealed Chief Thunder they dropped "Chief" out of his name. When asked, the devs said they have some other plans and left it at that.

I'm guessing Master Chief will probably be added as a season 2 headliner, right before or with Halo 5.

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I should have added a line break.

The devs said they had other plans and left it at that.

Only some of us speculated it was because Master Chief was being added. And I inserted a guess as to when given that Halo 5 is out next holiday and KI season 2 is late next year as well.

nah the chief was removed because thunder became so absorbed into finding eagle (his bro)

MS has said they'd have to be multi seasons in before they start thinking about guest characters... basically when they feel they have made everything they could

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
6 chars = 6 potential opponents only. That's very shallow by any standards and basically means the single-player aspect is almost inconsequential beyond a training mechanism.

I'm not saying that what's there can't be great, but you simply cannot ignore how thin the content is when judging its value.

oVerde

Banned
I want to kiss Double Helix dat badly!

Even I expecting more 8s the praise among them is awesome!

Can't fucking wait!

Riky

$MSFT
Hopefully now Killer Instinct is turning out to be good it will give Microsoft the confidence to green light the next Banjo and Perfect Dark games, needs to happen.

Mr Moose

To me this is the best looking game (and most fun looking, although not a fan of the way they're doing the 1 char thing) on the Xbox One, it's the only one I'd want to play (out of the launch titles).

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I gotta say, never owned an Xbox but as someone who was never able to really get into the depth of fighting games, this looks very appealing!

The level of transparency is unparalleled and the amount of options for customized training and analysis could turn this into a very popular fighting game in the long run.

I really admire both the philosophy as well as the execution (or at least how it looks in the videos) of this concept: actually exposing the mechanics and teaching people how to play the game. Reminds me of Nintendo's approach, and I imagine it also guarantees the game will resonate very strongly with those who play it, to the point of being highly memorable down the road.

Top Bottom