• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct S2 Panel at PAX: Hisako, Shadows, and Story Mode

clav

I wouldn't worry about it too much, given how fast we found out Aganos' bad matchups.

Oh, I think it's awesome that Killer Instinct is turning out this way. Spinal seems to kill everything.

Despite the fact I don't play fighting games, I still follow its development.

Doukou

This reminds me of everytime someone sees a nine-tail fox, they think its a rip -off of Naruto.

Yah how hard is it to know that it originally came from Pokemon

Anyways Hisako looks great not sure if she is my style though. They did a really good job with capturing the essence of a horror character with her play style.
Shadows could be great, big problem in the game is that single-player ai is a bit boring with mind reading combos, shadows could make it a lot more fun if we could put it in versus/arcade/survival modes.
Story mode cinematic seems interesting.

Pac3y

Thanks much, dood.

Sadly, the VO they used was all temporary. Even tho I'm making the cinematics, there's no confirmation I will be the narrator for the final sequences and that was just used for timing. If I do end up doing it, I'll give it my best.

Appreciate the comments on story mode.

Hope you make the final narrator mate. There's no one else more deserving than yourself. With all the hard work you've put into covering and working on the game.

We just need an alternative Max announcer now too. :p

Thanks much, dood.

Sadly, the VO they used was all temporary. Even tho I'm making the cinematics, there's no confirmation I will be the narrator for the final sequences and that was just used for timing. If I do end up doing it, I'll give it my best.

Will we at least get you as an announcer one day??

AppleMIX

Just watched the gameplay playthrough. Looks amazing, Killer Instinct has such a amazingly diverse cast mechanically speaking.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Jesus those counter hit combos are going to HURT. Character looks really fun. Iron Galaxy going absolutely ham with this game. Def one of the best fighters on the market right now.

I really really want to play this game, but I want to play a full version, not in bits and pieces. Don't get me wrong, I want as much content as possible, but I cant wait until this is finished and I hope I can get a 'complete version'. It feels like we are getting 3 years of demos and DLC. but of regular components of the game, instead of 3 years of development, and then the full game comes out, like normal games do.

And then I wonder: a few months after every character is released, when we have a good idea of the matchups and we figure out some good tech. How long after will the game be popular? How many more times after will it be at EVO? I feel that these 3 years in playable/development limbo is detracting somewhat from its total lifespan as a game. Casuals of course drop fighters quickly. But even hardcore and tourney fighting game players lose interest in a game after a 3-4 years, then go on to play and learn a newer fighter. Really, not many want to play KI for 6+ years, even if it is good. It gets stale, and online and offline competition drops. Major and local tourneys drop the game, friends start playing a newer game. The game's online servers shut down.
I want to play a complete version, and also the classic 2 KIs as a package. I would pay over $100, but I want it at once.

fhqwhgads

What are his bad matchups? Haven't gotten to play him yet.

I'd imagine he'd have trouble with anyone that can teleport. Probably also Sadira?

Aganos does surprisingly well against Sadria. It's not what I'd call in his favour, but he can put her on lock down if played smartly.

It's true that teleport characters do give him issues, though right now the worst matchup it seems is Riptor, given how she can both easily take away rocks with her fire attacks and easily rush in and prevent an Aganos player from getting them in the first place.

I have a feeling that TJ might be an issue, but it's too early to call just yet.

Ont

And then I wonder: a few months after every character is released, when we have a good idea of the matchups and we figure out some good tech. How long after will the game be popular? How many more times after will it be at EVO? I feel that these 3 years in playable/development limbo is detracting somewhat from its total lifespan as a game. Casuals of course drop fighters quickly. But even hardcore and tourney fighting game players lose interest in a game after a 3-4 years, then go on to play and learn a newer fighter. Really, not many want to play KI for 6+ years, even if it is good. It gets stale, and online and offline competition drops. Major and local tourneys drop the game, friends start playing a newer game. The game's online servers shut down.
I want to play a complete version, and also the classic 2 KIs as a package. I would pay over $100, but I want it at once.

It is not three years in development limbo. It is a game like League of Legends or Eve-Online that is being updated every year until nobody is playing the game anymore. The fact that KI is getting new content and updates every year means that the people will keep playing it. Because of this model, KI (and SFV in future) will remain relevant longer than the other fighting games that are released "full" with 4 DLC characters thrown in as a plus.

It is not three years in development limbo. It is a game like League of Legends or Eve-Online that is being updated every year until nobody is playing the game anymore. The fact that KI is getting new content and updates every year means that the people will keep playing it. Because of this model, KI (and SFV in future) will remain relevant longer than the other fighting games that are released "full" with 4 DLC characters thrown in as a plus.

It's sad that SFV is following this model, it winds up costing the player more in the end piecemeal like this than a full game with the same amount of characters and modes. Learning changing tech and new matchups gets tiresome after a while. This isnt World of Warcraft -This model wont work well for fighters. Their players are different and expect differently. There are many like me who are waiting for the full game. Fighting games developed this way will always have a smaller fanbase than if they finished the game and released it with minimal DLC.

It's sad that SFV is following this model, it winds up costing the player more in the end piecemeal like this than a full game with the same amount of characters and modes. Learning changing tech and new matchups gets tiresome after a while. This isnt World of Warcraft -This model wont work well for fighters. Their players are different and expect differently. There are many like me who are waiting for the full game. Fighting games developed this way will always have a smaller fanbase than if they finished the game and released it with minimal DLC.

This model costs you exactly as much as the regular game would.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Heigic

I think it's a good model as it keeps players coming back to the game. They mentioned that one of their highest player counts was when Aganos was released. If the game was released in the traditional model that would not be the case as the community would slowly decrease.

Zubz

Banned
I love everything I'm seeing here! Hisako looks crazy, story mode looks hype, and shadows are like amiibo that aren't nigh-impossible to find; it's perfect!

Thanks much, dood.

You did a great job as VO, even as a placeholder! Honestly, I feel you're a perfect fit for the role. Either way, best of luck with the cinematics!

I really really want to play this game, but I want to play a full version, not in bits and pieces. Don't get me wrong, I want as much content as possible, but I cant wait until this is finished and I hope I can get a 'complete version'. It feels like we are getting 3 years of demos and DLC. but of regular components of the game, instead of 3 years of development, and then the full game comes out, like normal games do.

Honestly, I like this system; I wish other games followed this model. You end up paying the same amount in the long run, and you get something new almost every month, so it keeps you interested. In MKX's case, all the DLC packs'll end up costing more, but with KI here? 3 seasons for $20 totals to $60; you get the game earlier, and it feels like it's constantly evolving!

Top Bottom