• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLER INSTINCT - Sadira trailer - ORCHID TEASE

Enordash

If Evo announces KI in the lineup come January (when they usually announce the game lineup), that guarantees a scene for KI up until July. By that time I would hope we'll be well into season 2 or at least have a couple characters out, and hopefully that momentum will carry through into holiday 2014 and the end of season 2. That leaves us with ~16 characters, enough to get a competitive following on its own. Give it a second year at Evo and you're good.

I think with each showing at Evo, you'll guarantee another season.

I hope this happens. I'm pretty dedicated to actually getting out to EVO next year even if I don't enter anything. I would love to see KI there.

It's running at 720p. A beat 'em up game in 2013 on so called next-gen hardware. 720p.
Why the fuck is this not 1080p?

Apparently 1080p negatively affected the framerate so they had to dial down the resolution.
Maybe they should have scaled back the art assets instead and tried to maintain 1080p but they had to make concessions somewhere.

JHall

zgGhT0Q.gif

Oh, sweet baby Jesus...

Rey

Jago's Shadow fireball in the video does feature a large explosion of particles behind the opponent, and many of them do fall to the ground and bounce about. I like the fact they seem to be wider-spread, taking advantage of 3D space more now, whereas a LOT of them locked onto the 2D walk plane before, which looked kinda limiting.

The older builds had the fireball explosion splashing back onto the attacker too, which, while very awesome looking, obstructed their movement, which isn't really that smart for fighting.

The explosively stupid-awesome particles have been dialed back, but we've also gotten more effects overall since then: I love how Thunder now has Lightning crackling along his body in his instinct mode. Saberwulf's fur has also become less patchy and better rendered as time went on. The color within shadow moves have become more pronounced, and lighting seems to have changed color, tone, and shadow intensity constantly throughout the showing. And that annoying Omni-Glow on Jago's back during his intro has been normalized now.

I think a lot of it has been refined as the game has had to grow beyond "Saberwulf VS Jago, JAGO STAGE, ALL DAY!". They DO aim to have this game run consistently at 60fps on every stage without compromise.

All that said, I'd love an unlockable toggle / code to be able to ramp Particles up to 11 for casual / single player play. I also hope different accessories / weapons have unique effects. Jago's Laser Sword should produce totally different hit splotches on his Classic Costume, with green particle explosions, compared to the steel sword he uses now. Classic Costume Thunder should have Orange-ish energy for his attacks, rather than Blue Lightning. And so on.

Really, if I were DH, I'd totally get an effect toggle option into the game, allowing you to change hitsparks and stuff per move. Nothing gamebreaking for normal play, but as prominent as the effects are in this game, being able to change their color, length/density, or if they light up, or darken the environment on spawn, would be pretty fun. It'd all be developer-approved effects, so nothing that'd totally kill the look of the game (like particles at 700% with lights the glow so bright they'd blind the player), but just fun stuff to play around with.

Good post, but I don't agree with the particles causing obstruction in the movement at all. They could make the particles smaller so it doesn't obstruct anything. If anything would cause obstruction it would be the shadow move effect because its so thick, but I wouldn't want them to change it because its perfect to me.

As far as the option for a toggle effect mode, nah I don't see that happening. I have never seen a console game give me that option...would love it though.

I see these things happen all the time. Developers showing the crazy amount of particles in development and by the time the game is out almost nothing is left. For example Halo Reach if I remember correct.

How has the Skullgirls community handled the small character roster? Has it hurt their stream numbers or anything? This is probably not a quantifiable number, but it would be interesting to hear someone else's take on it.

Skullgirls doesn't have the largest competitive scene but it's not due to a small character roster.

Honestly, the biggest obstacle KI has is its platform.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Good post, but I don't agree with the particles causing obstruction in the movement at all. They could make the particles smaller so it doesn't obstruct anything. If anything would cause obstruction it would be the shadow move effect because its so thick, but I wouldn't want them to change it because its perfect to me.

They could have changed it, but the way they were, they had no transparency, and they actually took up foreground in front of the characters, which, in comparision, the Shadow effects never did. They could have potentially taken away foreground particles, and just left a mess bouncing off the character bodies (which was, and still is cool) and in the background.

The fact the shadows moves have always been behind the characters makes them a non-obstruction; If anything, they separate the characters from the often-bluish bright hues of stages like Devil's Landing, and Crash Site. I like their overdone nature, too, actually.

As far as the option for a toggle effect mode, nah I don't see that happening. I have never seen a console game give me that option...would love it though.

I see these things happen all the time. Developers showing the crazy amount of particles in development and by the time the game is out almost nothing is left. For example Halo Reach if I remember correct.

It's not likely, but hey, best time to play with this stuff is when you're trying to keep interest for a growing product! I loved goofy Codes back in the day. Being able to Shrink and Grow your characters in Tobal 2 (without hurting the silky-smooth framerate at all, very impressive) was fun for messing around. It even let you loop character win quotes (my friend hated this) or Rotate the eyes of the characters on victory screens (all of that going at once became very creepy). Star Gladiator had the Big feet & Hands / Small Feet and Head codes. And the alt weapon skins (frozen Tuna!) for Last Bronx, or just the entire existence of Vitua Fighter Kids, lol. If they're going to go all Old-school with initial Roster size, I'd love to see them go old-school with easter eggs as well.

In this case, it's something we've seen from early development that has unfortunately been refined and dialed back, but no reason such a thing couldn't be a bonus feature for fun. As long as they desire to keep this game running, droppin easter eggs into the game with each new content offering would be fun.

Enordash

Skullgirls doesn't have the largest competitive scene but it's not due to a small character roster.

Honestly, the biggest obstacle KI has is its platform.

Yea, that's very likely. It kinda has this whirlwind of doubt around it right now that's hard to break through if you aren't actively trying to seek out the correct info. DH doesn't have a good rep, but they seem to be treating this game very properly. The F2P crap, people getting angry about getting a free rotating character, etc. I'm really hoping the platform doesn't turn out to be as much of a problem as people think it will be. I can't see the X1 being as rough as the WiiU.

DrDogg

Yea, that's very likely. It kinda has this whirlwind of doubt around it right now that's hard to break through if you aren't actively trying to seek out the correct info. DH doesn't have a good rep, but they seem to be treating this game very properly. The F2P crap, people getting angry about getting a free rotating character, etc. I'm really hoping the platform doesn't turn out to be as much of a problem as people think it will be. I can't see the X1 being as rough as the WiiU.

X1 will sell well. It'll definitely sell out this holiday. The problem is the people who will be buying it. For the first run, it'll probably be a lot of FPS fans, or casual fighting game fans. Very few of which would travel for a KI tournament. Most of the competitive FGC seems to be held back by the large investment ($720 + tax for most people).

I'm actually more concerned about the online environment come Jan/Feb. By that time, the casuals will probably be sick of getting beat up constantly and rage quits will be far more common... especially if they can see your rank/title before the match starts.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
X1 will sell well. It'll definitely sell out this holiday. The problem is the people who will be buying it. For the first run, it'll probably be a lot of FPS fans, or casual fighting game fans. Very few of which would travel for a KI tournament. Most of the competitive FGC seems to be held back by the large investment ($720 + tax for most people).

I'm actually more concerned about the online environment come Jan/Feb. By that time, the casuals will probably be sick of getting beat up constantly and rage quits will be far more common... especially if they can see your rank/title before the match starts.

im going to rage quit everytime i perform an ultra on someone

Enordash

Very fair concern. This is a ton of money to drop on a single game. I also agree that an EVO announcement would help out a lot. People on the fence could be persuaded with it. I'm really curious to see the sales numbers for Ghosts here soon.

New002

Just wanted to let people know that I was able to pre-order the KI TE2 Fight Stick at my local Gamestop. The associate helping me said it was a good thing I pre-ordered because there system has the Fight Stick marked as "do not re-order," and that they'll probably only get 1 or 2.

Pre-ordering required $50 down and there is a placeholder date of Dec. 4 in the system. Hopefully it's available to pick up on Nov. 22, or even sooner.

Silky

Banned
Repost of my KI impressions.

Back from the Atlanta tour. The lighting Setup they had their made me nauseous and irritated. Neon colors piss me off. Got to play Killer Instinct and DR3 for a bit, couldn't stand the lights. But I'll go back on Saturday w/ sunglasses lol.

Killer Instinct

There is never a more proper use of a gif than this one.
2be9fb4a441571e581c96556d6988f34f46509de_m.gif

That was KI, in every way and form. Everything just coming back into play with the game nearly immediately as I got used to using Sabrewulf. After finding his opener, combos were so easy to get out, but nowhere near as impressive as the stuff seen on streams. I need more time with the game and better focus, but I was instantly impressed. Goddamn.

Dead Rising 3

I'm not a fan of the previous titles, but DR3 proved to be something I couldn't get on the 360. The presentation was very impressive. Zombie count nearly impeccable at first glance. Visuals were top notch. Combat felt...it felt like Dead Rising, so take that for what you will. I probably wouldn't grab the game, but it's a DR game true and true.

Controller

It felt very responsive. Sticks and triggers felt very good to use. D-Pad is vastly improved from the 360 model. My only complaint is the weird bumper strap on the top, but I'll have to get used to using my fingers instead of my tips.

I go back on Saturday to try more, but I loved what I played.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Glad to see you enjoyed KI Silky :) It's funny to think that I think I had more ease going back to KI3 as a "KI", than I did when I tried to play the SNES version recently; the rules for the game were more jumbled than I remembered, bu new KI just lets one play with the same hit rhythms and Opener/Linker stuff that really stuck out initially.

And you get to go back! I'm a bit mad Microsoft is totally ignoring North Carolina with it's pre-launch tour, haha.

Ha ha... I'm getting blasted by a bunch of KI haters on another board trying to tell me that KI was booed really bad at Evo, and they can't get it straight that it was the announcement of the Xbox One is what made people boo.

Sure.. there's a couple Marvel fanboys and Mortal Kombat fanboys yelling at the KI game while it's up, but that's no different than having a show like that for FPS games and having COD fans scream to get BF off and vice versa.

I can't wait till this game comes out. I'm ready for some people to get shut the fuck up!

.la1n

Glad to see you enjoyed KI Silky :) It's funny to think that I think I had more ease going back to KI3 as a "KI", than I did when I tried to play the SNES version recently; the rules for the game were more jumbled than I remembered, bu new KI just lets one play with the same hit rhythms and Opener/Linker stuff that really stuck out initially.

And you get to go back! I'm a bit mad Microsoft is totally ignoring North Carolina with it's pre-launch tour, haha.

On the bright side we have the fall classic and it's 20 minutes away from where I live. The down side is I could have been playing the new KI if I still lived in Atlanta.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Ha ha... I'm getting blasted by a bunch of KI haters on another board trying to tell me that KI was booed really bad at Evo, and they can't get it straight that it was the announcement of the Xbox One is what made people boo.

Sure.. there's a couple Marvel fanboys and Mortal Kombat fanboys yelling at the KI game while it's up, but that's no different than having a show like that for FPS games and having COD fans scream to get BF off and vice versa.

I can't wait till this game comes out. I'm ready for some people to get shut the fuck up!
who gives a fuck if it was booed anyway? there was lots of hostility towards the game when it was announced, and there still is. but that says NOTHING about the quality of the game, just the attitude of the mob that hadn't played it.

if the game is good, people will play it. maybe those guys at evo who didn't like it will NEVER like it, but who cares? take it from me: i play Virtua Fighter. i fucking LOVE Virtua Fighter. every Saturday I go to my fight night and play VF with other people who love it, for hours and hours. not only do most people not care about fighting games, most people who play fighting games don't play Virtua Fighter. should i stop playing something i think is brilliant just because if it made it up on stage at evo2k14 it would DEFINITELY get booed?

let the gremlins enjoy their capcom games and try to not take it to heart when they don't look at yours

hwalker84

Killer Instinct

There is never a more proper use of a gif than this one.
2be9fb4a441571e581c96556d6988f34f46509de_m.gif

That was KI, in every way and form. Everything just coming back into play with the game nearly immediately as I got used to using Sabrewulf. After finding his opener, combos were so easy to get out, but nowhere near as impressive as the stuff seen on streams. I need more time with the game and better focus, but I was instantly impressed. Goddamn.
God I can't wait!

DrDogg

To be fair, the Evo finals presentation really wasn't very good. Rich and Mark didn't explain anything to the crowd, so they didn't know what they were watching. Plus, it was a bunch of combo breakers that even made it boring to watch for me... and it came right before the big Marvel finals.

If you watched JUST that presentation and nothing else, you probably wouldn't like KI. The build, plus the X1 hate at the time, and the lack of explanation... it all added up.

But there was ALWAYS a long line to play KI in the second hall. So the people at Evo definitely enjoyed the game. They just don't want anything getting in the way of their Mahvel.

Enordash

Hopefully. I believe mine has a current delivery date of November 26 (from Amazon.com).

It would be great if they can upgrade it to release-date delivery though.

I've asked around and can't get an answer of what we should expect delivery wise. If Gamestop is getting them on day 1, I would rather cancel my current order and just do that instead.

Vire

I'm really sorry if this has been asked but have they shown any new Orchid gameplay?

Feels like forever since I last saw something new.

Top Bottom