• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor 2 Officially Revealed!!

Hey all, Wes from PC Gamer here. Let me know if you have any questions about the game I didn't answer in the article. If I know the answer from the time I spent at Tripwire, I'll do my best to respond!

Will there be weapon modifications? And if so, would they cost extra money or is it possible that when you buy the weapon, it comes with the mods you already attached to it (kind of like a loadout of sorts)?

Also, will it be a 2014 or 2015 title?

Q8znfJi.gif

Consider me hyped.

Azar

While I loved the shooting in the original, and popping a head always felt great, I hope KF2 really ramps up the melee combat. It's something I eventually got used to in the original, but while playing as Berserker was extremely powerful, the actual melee combat always felt really light and lacked in impact.

Bill Munk: "We're known for really awesome gunplay. But our melee in Killing Floor, we're not really known for this really sick melee. But it was our goal to have something that could stand on its own, even if the game had no guns.

Melee combat was really weak in the first game. I was always disappointed with it, and it never felt like something that could stand on its own. It was always better to use guns. We put a lot of focus on making the melee combat something awesome. My hope is that everyone will want to have the backup melee weapons or play the melee style perks."

From what I saw of the game, it's definitely going to be an important tactic to have people using melee weapons to defend members of the team who are pumping out high gun damage. Using melee will let you protect people while they're reloading, etc. No idea how many different melee weapons there will be.

Bill Munk: "We're known for really awesome gunplay. But our melee in Killing Floor, we're not really known for this really sick melee. But it was our goal to have something that could stand on its own, even if the game had no guns.

Melee combat was really weak in the first game. I was always disappointed with it, and it never felt like something that could stand on its own. It was always better to use guns. We put a lot of focus on making the melee combat something awesome. My hope is that everyone will want to have the backup melee weapons or play the melee style perks."

From what I saw of the game, it's definitely going to be an important tactic to have people using melee weapons to defend members of the team who are pumping out high gun damage. Using melee will let you protect people while they're reloading, etc. No idea how many different melee weapons there will be.
ibtiQFYQUVpf5m.gif

Azar

The shops to buy weapons are still in there, right? No simplified 'buy via menu'?

And I hope they have improved the server browser, the only bad thing in KF1.
Shop is still there. It was an early implementation when I saw it (graphics, audio etc. weren't finalized) but the mechanic of the moving shop is exactly intact from KF1.

I didn't see the server browser, but they have added an additional lobby system for playing with your buddies that looked very simple. They had people jumping in via LAN to play demo rounds.

They talked a bunch about the death animations in the preview, and how each character has a bunch of different death animations. Does this mean that their won't be ragdoll physics, or that death animations will play first and then ragdoll will kick in?
They do procedural stuff to blend their animations with physics, which is why every death is going to look a little bit different. I imagine if you play a toooon of the game you'll become familiar with some animations, but the physics are there to react to walls, stairs, etc.

Bill Munk: "Generally games go two routes. They'll do a full animation of a death, which always looks really good but falls apart in some situations. If the guy's at the stairs, it won't look like he fell down the stairs. Or you have physics based, where it just looks like a limp noodle. Floppy. We basically took the best of both worlds and have an animation system that blends with the ragdoll. Each zed has 95 different death animations that have a random value and depends on where you hit them on their body. So there's a different set of animations if you shoot them in the stomach or the neck and get them to start convulsing. Or kill them from the leg. The different zones are head, neck, chest, stomach, each individual leg and arms. The animations blend from one to another."

Will there be weapon modifications? And if so, would they cost extra money or is it possible that when you buy the weapon, it comes with the mods you already attached to it (kind of like a loadout of sorts)?

Also, will it be a 2014 or 2015 title?
I didn't see any kind of weapon modification, but I don't have a definitive answer. They didn't give me a release window. They rushed RO2 out and spent a long time fixing and polishing the game post-release, and they don't want to make that mistake again.

ArjanN

Bill Munk: "Melee combat was really weak in the first game. I was always disappointed with it, and it never felt like something that could stand on its own. It was always better to use guns. We put a lot of focus on making the melee combat something awesome. My hope is that everyone will want to have the backup melee weapons or play the melee style perks."

Wut. Berserker is the most OP class in the original game.

I'll agree the melee system wasn't very fun though.

Grief.exe

They do procedural stuff to blend their animations with physics, which is why every death is going to look a little bit different. I imagine if you play a toooon of the game you'll become familiar with some animations, but the physics are there to react to walls, stairs, etc.

Bill Munk: "Generally games go two routes. They'll do a full animation of a death, which always looks really good but falls apart in some situations. If the guy's at the stairs, it won't look like he fell down the stairs. Or you have physics based, where it just looks like a limp noodle. Floppy. We basically took the best of both worlds and have an animation system that blends with the ragdoll. Each zed has 95 different death animations that have a random value and depends on where you hit them on their body. So there's a different set of animations if you shoot them in the stomach or the neck and get them to start convulsing. Or kill them from the leg. The different zones are head, neck, chest, stomach, each individual leg and arms. The animations blend from one to another."

Very cool.

And I hope they have improved the server browser, the only bad thing in KF1.

I can pretty much guarantee it will just be the most recent Steamworks implementation.

Azar

With 19 ways to dismember a zed I wouldn't be surprised if there's a class dedicated to crippling them in various ways, imagine a quick draw revolver at the knee caps of a clot or something, a kind of "short range" sharpshooter. All speculation of course.
Unless things change with the game, dismembering is a kill shot. The Tripwire guys sounded like they really thought about having it so that you could shoot their limbs off and they'd still come around, but it didn't work for a couple reasons.

It would nullify some enemies completely and require totally new AI/moves for them. Like if you blow off a Cyst's arms, what does it do then? It can't attack. If you take off legs, that requires an entirely new set of mocap animations for every enemy of them crawling, etc.

I was a bit disappointed on hearing that, but it sounds like a logical limitation given its impact on both gameplay and production time. The gore system really is about just blowing the zeds apart in endlessly varied and entertaining ways, and they nailed that part from what I saw.

Bill Munk: "We basically took the best of both worlds and have an animation system that blends with the ragdoll. Each zed has 95 different death animations that have a random value and depends on where you hit them on their body. So there's a different set of animations if you shoot them in the stomach or the neck and get them to start convulsing. Or kill them from the leg. The different zones are head, neck, chest, stomach, each individual leg and arms. The animations blend from one to another."
Ro2 had this, people squirming on the ground when on fire or like going stiff when shot.
http://youtu.be/zAEpiZP0zsY

Teknoman

Really looking forward to it. The first once felt like a playable B grade netflix horror movie, and I dont mean that in a bad way. All the action / none of the lame story shoehorned in.

DocSeuss

I never liked the gun weight in Killing Floor. Impact could be good at times, but everything else about the game felt lacking. The game just never felt right, which is frustrating, because I love horde mode style games; have since Invasion in Unreal Tournament.

Hopefully, the maps allow for a bit more strafing, and the game feel's a lot better than anything else Tripwire's done.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliaaaaaaaaant news! Can't wait. Love Tripwire, their games and especially their support for their communities too. Killing Floor has my favourite gunplay in any game after FEAR.

There's only one thing I DEMAND in Killing Floor 2. Alan Wilson HAS to do more voices, well him and Mark Hayler. No other response is acceptable, only a bloody Millwall fan would say otherwise.

Its a good thing it runs on UE3, we want as many people playing as possible, would make no sense to bump the specs up for a new engine.

Honey Bunny

Zerker was the most survivable class in the game though...and to me the most fun. Hope they don't screw with it too much.

BPoole

Fuck. Yes.

KF is my favorite FPS on PC and I have been waiting for confirmation of a sequal for so long. I will buy this the second it is available

BPoole

Zerker was the most survivable class in the game though...and to me the most fun. Hope they don't screw with it too much.

Yep, zerkers was my favorite class since I didn't have to worry about runnig out of ammo and the only real threats to them are sirens and crawlers. Once the buzzsaw bow came out the zerker class was OP as hell

BPoole

I think the Medic had more survivability than the Berzerker with that combat armor and faster recharging syringe.

The medic doesn't have any weapons that do good damage to fleshpounds of scrakes. All of the medic weapons are pretty crappy and are only good for killing clots and crawlers.

Piano

Banned
See, I love Killing Floor, but honestly, honestly there's not a whole lot that I think needs to be done. Even the graphics in the game don't bother me. It has a perfect amount of jank.

HYYYPE finallyyyyy

See, I love Killing Floor, but honestly, honestly there's not a whole lot that I think needs to be done. Even the graphics in the game don't bother me. It has a perfect amount of jank.

Same way I feel. Would have bought this regardless of the graphics since gameplay is king here. That gore and melee system upgrade sounds like worthy additions though

Sini

The medic doesn't have any weapons that do good damage to fleshpounds of scrakes. All of the medic weapons are pretty crappy and are only good for killing clots and crawlers.
Medics use Crossbow to take out Scrakes even on suicidal. Not sure about HoE because I haven't seriously played that.
Lever Action Rifle is great for medics as well.

SandTorso

Can't wait! I didn't put as much time into Killing Floor as much as some of my friends did, but it was always a good time. Hopefully it's decently optimized at release, Tripwire has a sketchy record on that. Red Orchestra 2 was practically a beta at launch (and the beta was, well, amazingly buggy).

Armaly

Oh man, the first one is my most played steam game. Many hours were spent on Doom 2 V7. Will definitely be picking this up day one. Hope they let us import our skins from 1.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
When we started designing the game we decided gore was going to be the most important feature," says David Hensley, art director on Killing Floor 2. "We were really inspired by Soldier of Fortune, the GHOUL system. We wanted to outdo Soldier of Fortune's gore.

oh hell yes

Good time to share this again.

lmao thats great

LOADS OF MONAAAY

Hey maybe we'll get a PS4 announcement and then we can live it up in a KF2 megathread!

In all seriousness Tripwire probably should port it. Get in there before a similar game steals the spotlight. KF is way more fun than L4D PvE, everybody should try it.

I would buy the hell out of a PS4 version, but before that I'd rather them make sure its up and running on Linux and OSX

Arulan

This has been a good day, Killing Floor 2 and a new Unreal Tournament. I've said it before but we're in the midst of a very strong PC-focused incline. The amount of RPGs (Pillars of Eternity, Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, etc.) I have to look forward to this year alone is almost overwhelming.

My friends and I still play Left 4 Dead 2 regularly to this day, and we used to with Killing Floor until recently. Another great co-op game is always welcome. I believe one of the key points to a strong co-op game like this is developer support and design with regards to replay. Killing Floor was released in 2009 (earlier when it was still a mod) and it continues to be a great experience today. In fact several games (usually on PC but I won't get into that) share a similar design philosophy. They're meant to last for years, they do not require yearly updates or even biennial updates.

1upmuffin

Awesome, thanks for the response!

Top Bottom