• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor 2 |OT| You've got red on you.

Talamius

Very disappointed with Survivalist as last perk. Awful perk.

EDIT: plus, Firebug is going to be worthless at release, which is not a great look.

Firebug was beaten with a nerf stick until it broke, then beaten with ANOTHER nerf stick in the opt in beta. Can't adequately clear HoE trash mobs anymore, and other perks are far superior at clearing the big zeds. Went from top tier to unplayable.

Sharpshooter, Demolitionist, Berzerker, Gunslinger, SWAT and Medic are all good. The most important thing, especially on HoE, is good teamplay and coordination. The game itself is fantastic.

Moofers

They've confirmed that holiday events, maps, weapons, etc., will be coming to the PS4 version of Killing Floor 2 as well. They say all major updates will hit PS4, but give no promises if it'll always be on the exact same day as PC but will try as hard as they can to release them on the same date or as close as possible to PC updates.

And I agree with you, the holiday events for Killing Floor 1 were a blast, and they are confirmed the first holiday events will be happening for KF2 starting next year.

yes Yes YES! That is awesome news. This almost makes me feel bad for buying it on sale next week instead of full price. Oh well, I'll buy some skins down the road I'm sure.

Dang, good call. Didn't know about this, will definitely hold off until then. Thanks!

jeremiah_johnson_nodding-Robert-Redford.gif

NastyBook

Didn't play the Beta, but the devs are from GA, right? I'm a homer at heart, so I'll grab to support games that are MADE...IN GEORGIA.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I bought this (PS4) to play with a friend. I'm expecting later tonight to be:

kNGKIvW.jpg

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Just shoot everything. Also avoid wasting ammo on the floor, it poses no threat and cannot be killed.

That's... Not very good advice. There are certain enemies you absolutely should not shoot until ready/the right class takes care of them with the right equipment, as shooting them will aggro them and make them a lot harder to handle for everyone, usually making a chaotic situation.

One of the reasons I really like Killing Floor is there's actually a fair amount of strategy to it and options liable for you to do, it's not just mindless shooting. It has a great balance of satisfying gunplay, interesting enemies, interesting levels, a variety of mechanics outside of shooting (from wielding, to healing, to the melee combat, etc.), and one of the greatest games I can think of in how it handles cooperative team play without forcing it either, you're just vulnerable enough that fighting on your own is risky, but not impossible, and with all the mechanics at play there can be team roles and switching strategies on the fly... Or you can shoot anything and just try your best to survive. Different rounds can go drastically differently with what team you have. Add to that hidden collectibles in each stage, a number of fun hold-out points, the final boss rounds, difficulties, etc., and the several bigger content updates each year, and Killing Floor can be a highly fun experience that lasts for a while.

PSA: don't hop into Hell on Earth difficulty games until you're at least level 20. You'll be dead weight to your team and no one will like you for taking up a player slot.

Doesn't matter how good you think you are in FPS games, just don't. You won't have the stats to keep up. Ridiculous that Tripwire still hasn't implemented a built-in level cap for difficulties since KF1.

Ryuuga

Banned
^ Was speaking more generally. I know that you don't mindlessly spray bullets everywhere and have to be mindful of the more difficult monsters.

I feel that welding took a big backseat in KF2. I actually can't remember welding aside from trolling mates. We did it a lot in KF1.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I feel that welding took a big backseat in KF2. I actually can't remember welding aside from trolling mates. We did it a lot in KF1.

Could be due to levels feeling more claustrophobic in KF1.

Wielding I do agree is less important than the original game, but I do think can definitely be of use in KF2. What is said is true, it's because a lot of stages in KF2 are less corridor-based and more focused open, but it can be used well to channel enemies, give a moment to breathe, and in some tighter corridor parts of the levels it plays basically the same role as KF1. I do hope some more corridor-esque maps do come into existence, but I also like the more open maps.

And while I know many people don't like the Versus Mode (I think it's fun personally with friends), wielding can help you a lot in the Versus Mode to keep human monsters out/forced to come in a certain way, I've found I've used it a lot more in that mode for that very reason.

Ezalc

I was a big fan of the first game, I almost bought this a while ago but a friend who has the game said the in-game economy or something was really fucked up with some of the changes, I forget which specific ones he mentioned.

I'm still interested in this game though, it seems a lot of fun especially if it's anything like the first.

Evolved1

My one real concern blind-buying this is the aiming. PC devs have a habit of implementing the worst analog controls when they bring their stuff to console. Acceleration for whatever fucking reason PC devs seem to love. And unlike PC, where they let users tweak and adjust settings, they hardly ever add those options/sliders on console. So many great games have been ruined by this over the years, that I'm really wary of blind-buying console ports of PC shooters without trying them first.

Recent example... Warhammer Vermitide has absolutely atrocious analog controls. Heavy acceleration mixed with input lag... that game's aiming is soup.

I've got my fingers crossed here... didn't hear any complaining from the beta, but then again gaf tends to miss this stuff during the hype phase.

Fisty

My one real concern blind-buying this is the aiming. PC devs have a habit of implementing the worst analog controls when they bring their stuff to console. Acceleration for whatever fucking reason PC devs seem to love. And unlike PC, where they let users tweak and adjust settings, they hardly ever add those options/sliders on console. So many great games have been ruined by this over the years, that I'm really wary of blind-buying console ports of PC shooters without trying them first.

Recent example... Warhammer Vermitide has absolutely atrocious analog controls. Heavy acceleration mixed with input lag... that game's aiming is soup.

I've got my fingers crossed here... didn't hear any complaining from the beta, but then again gaf tends to miss this stuff during the hype phase.

I played it last year at PSX, and besides the dodgy framerate, the aiming was good. Again, that was 12 months ago, so I'm sure someone from the recent beta could shed some light on a more recent build.

Oh cool, it's finally out of early access. Had a lot of fun playing with GAFers around the launch, so might jump back in when I get the chance after GOTY backlog.

BigEmil

When I played the Beta on PS4 the aiming controls were spot on they did well no need to worry

Evolved1

When I played the Beta on PS4 the aiming controls were spot on they did well no need to worry
Cool. I mean I already bought it, but that's reassuring. Just something that's been an issue in the past.

Drewfonse

Yeah count me in the "waaaay too many games to play but I still might buy it" camp. I'm really curious to hear impressions from Pro owners. I tried the beta, and it was pretty. fun, but I really had no idea what I was doing.

Anyone going to play it on Pro?

Evolved1

Yeah count me in the "waaaay too many games to play but I still might buy it" camp. I'm really curious to hear impressions from Pro owners. I tried the beta, and it was pretty. fun, but I really had no idea what I was doing.

Anyone going to play it on Pro?
I have pro... I'll post impressions tomorrow. Not very sensitive to IQ stuff though. I more notice gameplay stuff... input lag, tearing, framerate, etc.

I'm telling you right now, not to worry. At all! The controls are spot on, and this is from someone who is super picky when it comes to console FPS games. Mind you, this is being judged on the PlayStation 4 version, but I couldn't be happier. Headshots are a breeze, movement is damn near second nature.

Trust me, don't worry.

And unlike PC, where they let users tweak and adjust settings, they hardly ever add those options/sliders on console.
Can confirm KF2 has individual toggles for the various types of aim assist it offers to controllers, at least on PC. I can't see why they'd remove them in the transition to console.

Evolved1

I have a launch party going on PS4, almost a full room. Add me on PSN to join

big-_-_-_-boss69
Playin with a friend tonight, but if I like the game (and it's something I feel I'll be playing a bunch) will send a FR. Nice to have cool groups to play with.

10 mins for unlock.....

Won't be playing tonight, played enough working on the review. But definitely feel free to add me for some weekend games.

Shad0whax0r

Deband

Has anyone got this on normal ps4 yet? I watched a YouTube video that had nasty tearing, please tell me this was an early build.

can anybody explain to me why the hell they didn't put more than one enemy type in the game?

if you think you will play every class to highest level, it will get boring as fuck playing the same enemys with the same weapons over and over again

i think if you publish a game thats completely focusing on Waves you have to put in some variety in weapons, enemys and so on

derFeef

I was very disappointed by the Early Access support, but I will gladly check it out again. I think the core mechanics are fantastic - unlocking and everything else around that is a chore and makes me not wanna play honestly.

BHK3

Banned
can anybody explain to me why the hell they didn't put more than one enemy type in the game?

if you think you will play every class to highest level, it will get boring as fuck playing the same enemys with the same weapons over and over again

i think if you publish a game thats completely focusing on Waves you have to put in some variety in weapons, enemys and so on

What game do you play thats similar to KF2 that has tons of 'different' enemy types? The game is structured and handled with care(for the most part) in it's enemy types. I rather deal with a few set enemies than 50 different looking ones but aren't as well crafted.

Boring is very subjective, I think the souls games should be traded in after being beaten because there's nothing else to see in the game once you've fully explored. Yet my friend beats them at least once a day sometimes, but for me that's boring.

Drewfonse

What do you want to know? KF2 benefits from increased texture count, a more consistent frame-rate (60 fps) and it looks amazing. There is no HDR , no slow-down / pop-up.

Awesome. so you've been playing it on the Pro? I was looking for general frame rate, IQ, tearing impressions.

I'd actually love some general gameplay impressions from the PS4 version. Are the controls pretty spot on?

Hyun Sai

So this is Horde mode coop right ? How does it compare to Mass Effect 3 in term of Maps, variety of enemy / weapons, replay value (console version, no mod included) ?

Awesome. so you've been playing it on the Pro? I was looking for general frame rate, IQ, tearing impressions.

I'd actually love some general gameplay impressions from the PS4 version. Are the controls pretty spot on?

Yep, I've been playing on both the PS4 Pro and standard PS4 (that feels weird to say). There was some tearing, notable when I was meleeing, and mainly because I was looking for it. The controls are perfect, and I came away very impressed with them. Frame rate seems to be a consistent 60 FPS at both 1080p and 1800p -> 2160p.

Drewfonse

Yep, I've been playing on both the PS4 Pro and standard PS4 (that feels weird to say). There was some tearing, notable when I was meleeing, and mainly because I was looking for it. The controls are perfect, and I came away very impressed with them. Frame rate seems to be a consistent 60 FPS at both 1080p and 1800p -> 2160p.

Nice. So the visual difference is pretty noticeable between the versions?

Are you playing on a 1080 or 4k TV?

I'm this close to buying it, but the short time I played the beta was a little bewildering. I was always last in kills, and didn't really know why I was doing. I guess I expected more of a point to point L4D experience, but what I played was fun.

Waaghals

So this is Horde mode coop right ? How does it compare to Mass Effect 3 in term of Maps, variety of enemy / weapons, replay value (console version, no mod included) ?

It is a rather fast paced game (much more so than ME3) with excellent weapon handling and hit reactions. The maps are expansive, but unlike ME3 there are no objectives.

There are many well developed game mechanics (welding, healing, support mechanics, dynamic destruction of lights) that makes the game much deeper than you would expect.

It is pretty much the best wave shooter in existence. And I really liked ME3.

Dingo Bonecrush

Neo Member
Picked this up even though I have it on PC already from way back. Game looks great on PRO 4k/Samsung KS8500. Only jumped in a few solo sessions this morning before work but framerate is pretty solid and if it did hiccup it was barely noticeable. Kinda sad there's no HDR support but I'll take that crisp image/ultra textures.

Not Drake

I would love to grab it on PS4, but I'm afraid Tripwire might not support the game on consoles. Did they disclose the plans for post-launch support? That fear might be completely unjustified, but the whole Payday 2 debacle made me extremely wary of another shooter from a series that heavily relies on post-launch support. And if I'm not mistaken original KF got TONS of content.

Top Bottom