• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

game is still fairly active but its hard to find good matches. Too much radec and bodycount BS. Send me a friend invite if you trying to play some good matches.

PSN: haldalish

upJTboogie said:
This game still has an active online community right? I already know it's small but I want to know if it's easy to find games on every map. Killzone 3's multiplayer was kind of a letdown and I'm thinking of picking this back up.
Yes, definitely. Had lots of fun yesterday.

Mikey Jr.

FUCK!

Guys, fuck KZ3.

I am not even joking. I have had more fun with my 3 matches than I have with all of KZ3 multi.

There are some downsides like Rocketspam still being there, 32 players, and (In my opinion) worse controls.

But fuck it. It is the superior game right now. Even something small like being able to check your stats via website in the game is great. My bought DLC is absolute garage though. Almost no games playing it. Waste of money.

Love it so much have 65+ hours on it.

Mikey Jr.

"YOU DO NOT HAVE THE APPROPRIATE RANK TO JOIN THIS GAME"

AWESOME!!!11

Fuck these server lists. 4 top filled games are giving me this bullshit.

Zen

Banned
You know I just went back and replayed the opening sequence of Killzone 2 (up until the 'you and Garza go do this) and there is nothing in Killzone 3 that comes close to how well executed that opening in Killzone 2 is. When you first get up out of your bed and follow Garza outside? Nothing in Killzone 3 has anywhere near that level of polish, or atmosphere.

Killzone 2 was flawed, but it was a flawed attempt at being something great, Killzone 3 is a successful attempt at settling for less.

I also still enjoy the more muted look, but what really stands out is the lighting, and the slower animations really give everything a greater sense of omfph than in Killzone 3 where the sped all the animations up. I get the complaint about the Helghast sometimes walking 'slowly' from cover to cover, but that could have been solved by having them fire while moving back.

And damn, the writing is leagues better than Killzone 3.

"The enemies may shatter our bodies, but they will never break our spirit" has to be one of the best lines I've ever heard in a game.

Galvanise_ said:
Yeah, that opening CG speech from Visari (Cox) hasn't been topped. The writing was fantastic and the delivery was out of this world.
"We will smite the invaders.." with the thunder and musical cue still gives me chills.

"Though they sweep over our lands like the sands of winter, never again will we bow before them; never again endure their oppression; never again endure their tyranny. We will strike without warning and without mercy, fighting as one hand, one heart, one soul. We will shatter their dreams and haunt their nightmares, drenching our ancestors' graves with their blood. And as our last breath tears at their lungs; as we rise again from the ruins of our cities... they will know: Helghan belongs to the Helghast."

That is some seriously awesome shit right there. I miss that old codger.

I was playing a bit of KZ2 again lately. IT control better than Killzone 3 when you get used to it again. KZ2 truly was the ultimate shooter...

Facism

we had a group of GAFe clanners play a bunch or rounds tonight.

great times. feels great, plays great and warzone is awesome. a bunch of us are thinking of just going back to this game so i'm toying with the idea of a revived gaf clan kz2 thread in the community forum.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Man, replaying Killzone 2 just now reminded me how much better it is than Killzone 3.

The difference between Killzone 2 and 3 for me is almost exactly like the difference between Gears of War and Gears of War 2. In both cases, the former is far grittier, far more raw, and far more focused in terms of the experience it wants to deliver. The sequels tried to do way too much and in the process lost the identity that made the first game so memorable.

Anyway, I just love Killzone 2's intro. Very minimalistic, but poignant. I LOVE the weight of the controls and the movement of the character/weapons. I also love the lighting and motion blur, two aspects that were toned down heavily in Killzone 3. Even in the first stage, the combat felt a lot more natural and personal than it EVER did in Killzone 3. Oh, and don't get me started on Killzone 3's shitty cover system. Killzone 2's was both effective and awesome to look at it, and it was a NECESSITY. Not so in the sequel.

So yeah, Killzone 3 is actually a bigger disappointment than I originally thought after replaying Killzone 2. Literally everything that made Killzone unique from every other fucking shooter on the market was either toned down or stripped away.

*sigh*

A.R.K

oh what do we have here ... looks like someone been having a party huh :)

Man I wish they could patch in the lag free controls from KZ3 to KZ2...then it would be the best thing ever.

Also I wish I had more time to play games so I can play with you guys :( ...

.GqueB.

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
FUCK!

Guys, fuck KZ3.

I am not even joking. I have had more fun with my 3 matches than I have with all of KZ3 multi.

There are some downsides like Rocketspam still being there, 32 players, and (In my opinion) worse controls.

But fuck it. It is the superior game right now. Even something small like being able to check your stats via website in the game is great. My bought DLC is absolute garage though. Almost no games playing it. Waste of money.

Love it so much have 65+ hours on it.
I tried to go back to this game recently. The maps (outside of a choice few) are much better and I liked having more health. But the controls... cant get pass them. Theyre just so horrid. If they stealth patched the new controls into KZ2 I would consider going back.

The game in general seems to be played by more competent individuals. I still encountered clusterfucks (of course) but they werent SO bad compared to what it used to be. But the controls... jesus.

And they death lag too. I forgot about that whole thing. Killing someone, then they kill me, then they die after I die. Happens way too often.

I wish they would create a super KZ with both KZ2 and KZ3 being assimilated into eachother creating a concoction of perfection. I would drink that shit up good.

Snookie

So...

I bought this game on release day when it first game out. I immediately hated it because of the controls and swore it off for about a year. I tried to play it again with the fixed controls and I kinda felt meh on it. Looked fantastic but just couldnt get into it. Part of the problem may be i started the campaign on hard. I dont know.

Anyways, I started playing it again and I'm actually surprised at how good it is. I wish I had stuck with it back then. I think i'm on the last part now. The ship just crashed into the pipeline.

God I must've died like 50 times on that dumb train.

Massa

Bumping this thread to talk about the single player story.

How do people who hated
Rico after Killzone 2
feel about the events of today?

ShogunX

Do many people still play this game? Just picked it up for £5 and bought the DLC triple pack on sale for the same price so thought I would give it a go over the next few days.

Also remember the menus on this game being pretty terrible where it distorts every time you move up and down. Anyway I can turn that shit off? Also what is this high precision mode on offer?

/necro bump.

Boerseun

Banned
That's hardly a necro bump.

Rico is such an annoying character. If I could have let him die somewhere along the way, write him out of the story Heavy Rain-style, I definitely would have.

Anyway, I love the Killzone 2 multiplayer. I found the single-player campaign a massive chore to play through and havn't touched it again since completing it. Multiplayer meanwhile has kept my attention for many hours. The implementation of classes, and the requirements for unlocking advanced abilities in those classes, is perfectly balanced, creating a varied experience, with matches playing out completely differently depending on how much a player has upgraded his particular class and how he/she chooses to use their class abilities.

I havn't bought Killzone 3 yet, as I don't own Move and don't intend on getting my ass kicked by those that do. Also, in general, I keep on hearing negative things about the multiplayer. Maybe I'll pick it up when it's really cheap. Or if I make the Move at some point in the (possibly distant) future.

Arklite

Shogun PaiN said:
Do many people still play this game? Just picked it up for £5 and bought the DLC triple pack on sale for the same price so thought I would give it a go over the next few days.

Also remember the menus on this game being pretty terrible where it distorts every time you move up and down. Anyway I can turn that shit off? Also what is this high precision mode on offer?

/necro bump.

Haven't played since earlier this year, but it usually wasn't too difficult to find some big games. The DLC maps, on the other hand, are rare to see. I only got a chance to go through a couple of the maps online maybe 2 or 3 times. Shame, since some of them are really nice.

Finally broke the 200K mark the other day :D Will probably be on later.

About Rico, he's better this time around but not by much. I think it's just his overall look that's better but with the same shitty attitude.

Boerseun said:
Anyway, I love the Killzone 2 multiplayer. I found the single-player campaign a massive chore to play through and havn't touched it again since completing it. Multiplayer meanwhile has kept my attention for many hours. The implementation of classes, and the requirements for unlocking advanced abilities in those classes, is perfectly balanced, creating a varied experience, with matches playing out completely differently depending on how much a player has upgraded his particular class and how he/she chooses to use their class abilities.

I havn't bought Killzone 3 yet, as I don't own Move and don't intend on getting my ass kicked by those that do. Also, in general, I keep on hearing negative things about the multiplayer. Maybe I'll pick it up when it's really cheap. Or if I make the Move at some point in the (possibly distant) future.

KZ3 SP + move + no hud was an amazing experience. KZ2 MP + no hud is an even better one though :)

patsu

Boerseun said:

Move has very little impact online. Some are better with DS3. Some are better with Move.

MP improves over KZ2 in many aspects. But it's a different game fundamentally. All advanced classes are more useful in general. KZ3 DLC maps are used more often because of PS+ and some didn't like the built-in maps.

It lacks some KZ2 features like open custom game, server list, and extensive clan setup.

sorry to bump this thread but I recently bought a Playstation 3 system bundled with Move and a copy of Killzone 3, is Killzone 2 Move ready too through some patch?, I'm reading confusing info over the Internet? in my job I find very interesting the Move tech and KZ2 copies are very cheap over here. Thanks in advance :)

JB1981

I wanted to play this last night and couldn't find a single room less than 32 players. I remember a few months back there were a lot of (9-16) and (17-24) player rooms. I guess everyone migrated to KZ3. Sad face :(

This game shits all over every other shooter on the PS3.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just started Killzone 2 today at a friend's house and the game is great until now but I just feel it's only going to recede qualitywise. The gunfighting and visuals only stay impressive for a certain amount of time when the repetition kicks in and it starts wearing off. I mean, I'm not expecting a genre-revolutionary jump but all locations and enemies just feel the same like every other FPS game out there. It's great until now but will it last like this? Sad thing is, I'm just in the first hour of the game.

//B1G

Banned
Does anyone still play this online? There's still a fairly decent sized community playing and you can get into games pretty easily. It's still the best PS3 MP shooter to me.
If any of you want to run some, add me up!
PSN: cheeseburgerhill

pahamrick

Are long freezes during mid-level loads normal? I just started getting into the game and sometimes the freezes during the loads have been 4+ seconds, a few were so long I thought the PS3 had froze up.

Acrylic7

Storms and shit, probably.

It is the best ps3 multiplayer shooter. hands down.
I still play, and if you moved on to kz3 then I don't like you :)

pahamrick

//B1G said:
unfortunately, yes. i'd rather have a couple second hiccup though then a full-blown loading screen.

That's true, I'm really enjoying the campaign though and this game has to have some of the slickest loading screens of any game I've played yet. Can't wait to dig into its multiplayer.

Acrylic7

pahamrick said:
That's true, I'm really enjoying the campaign though and this game has to have some of the slickest loading screens of any game I've played yet. Can't wait to dig into its multiplayer.

Do it do it do it!

you will love the multiplayer. try getting into Warzone matches. It may seem hard at first but you will get the hang of it.

remember, in multiplayer always fire from the hip. You zoom in and you dead.
Its also best if you follow some people at first, so you can assist. wouldn't try to go out on my own if you are new. this will help you unlock stuff.

pahamrick

Acrylic7 said:
Do it do it do it!

you will love the multiplayer. try getting into Warzone matches. It may seem hard at first but you will get the hang of it.

remember, in multiplayer always fire from the hip. You zoom in and you dead.
Its also best if you follow some people at first, so you can assist. wouldn't try to go out on my own if you are new. this will help you unlock stuff.

Thanks for the tips! I've been preferring to shoot from the hip with most guns in SP. Zooming in feels kinda clunky to me, can't put my finger on why though.

Also: Best Sniper Rifle Ever.

//B1G

Banned
true tips from acrylic.
KZ2 MP isn't like CoD in that you can just lonewolf it the whole game; winning depends basically solely on teamwork, especially in the warzone environment. also i'd suggest trying to find smaller games, around 10-15 people. the 32 player matches are huge clusterfucks and don't really inhibit the true feeling of the game. outwitting your opponent one on one is so rewarding.

finished this over the weekend, really enjoyed the beginning of the game and the end but the middle really dragged on. Overall a good but not great game, I'm sure I'll get around to KZ3 eventually but no time soon

Shtof

I see there's a lot of hate for Kz3 in here. As a fan of both games, I think they did some really dumb design choices when making Kz3, like CoDing the gunplay by removing recoil and adding auto-aim, but the worst part about Kz3 was the incredibly uninteresting story which just reeks political correctness and "let the teenagers blow some stuff up, nobody cares about the story anyway".

"Let's defend Earth", yeah, that's right, like the Vektans would ever care about the Earth. Suddenly, the story turned into to a very unrealistic sci-fi about teleporting and time travel, unlike the gritty and realistic war story of Killzone 2, which was supposedly even cooler originally, but producers wanted it toned down, it was too depressive since the Vektans basically got their asses handed to them. Got no source on this last statement, just some random guy in the internet wrote it, but I'm inclined to believe it.

However, the Move part of Killzone 3 makes it a much more enjoyable game for me. Would be awesome if they patched Move support into Killzone 2, of course it will never happen, but still. Also, the multiplayer is far better balanced, but a tad more boring for some reason, except Operations, which is awesome.

Is something wrong with the kz2 servers? I can't log in. Tried last night too and it didn't work. My internet is fine, I can download stuff from psn, and other games like uc2 work fine.

H_Prestige said:
Is something wrong with the kz2 servers? I can't log in. Tried last night too and it didn't work. My internet is fine, I can download stuff from psn, and other games like uc2 work fine.
We had the same problem last night, haven't tried yet today either. Was just about to hop on too :(

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I played this game again.

1) The graphics still impress. It looks great. As good as the best shooters on PS360.

2) I absolutely hate the floaty laggy controls on this game. I've tried very hard but I just can't get over that bump. If feels like I'm trying to play the game in a vat of clear molasses. I make a movement to where I think the gun should go. Wait a while for the gun to slowly move and pick up speed and then overshoot my target by some distance as I'm correcting in by shoving the stick in the opposite direction. Rinse and repeat. Arrrggghhhhh.....

Top Bottom