• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Beta Details (Starts 10/25, requires PS+, only 10k spots open)

DoomGyver

TTP said:
Pretty cool they are sending out betas like this. Is this the first time? Don't recall getting betas as message attachments.
It's cool, but I think Sony should have a special message presentation/background whatever that makes it obvious that this is SONY sending you a message and not some 14yr old trying to haxors your account.

Man

TTP said:
Pretty cool they are sending out betas like this. Is this the first time? Don't recall getting betas as message attachments.
They are using PSN messages for everything these days.

Direct game invites (since COD MW2) that brings you automatically from another game and into the specific mp match in the destination game.

Direct link that boots Mubi and the movie linked.

Beta downloads.

Seems like Sony have done a lot under the hood in regards to PSN messages.

meppi

Killthee said:
20101106-bewy43eu13u3bbmfechyet2hm3.jpg

Guess they noticed their beta players pool drying up as well...

Full Recovery said:
It's cool, but I think Sony should have a special message presentation/background whatever that makes it obvious that this is SONY sending you a message and not some 14yr old trying to haxors your account.
Just look at the avatar.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
TTP said:
They started doing it earlier this year in the U.S. with the Earthworm Jim screw up, but I think this is the first time they've sent out beta invites like this.

UQc5Il.jpg

Full Recovery said:
IIRC, the PSN logo as the avatar and the brackets in the username are how you can distinguish it from regular spam, but I agree they should make them easier to spot.

gofreak said:
You know, Plus really is a joke.

Not to whinge, (again), but I downloaded the KZ3 theme only 5 minutes after the store update. There was still 'only' hundreds of ratings on the theme.

No beta code.

Now, another 5k codes are sent out - still, no beta code.
EU right? Apparently the theme went up before the designated time and anyone who downloaded it before the official start, was automatically thrown out of the invite list. Maybe you were one of them? They had a thread up over at the official forums were you could send them your info and they would verify it to see if you should have gotten an invite. Not sure if they're still doing that or if they ran out of codes, but its worth a shot if you haven't done it yet. Looks like they stopped handing out invites on the 28th : /

http://community.killzone.com/t5/Announcements-Events/Beta-Voucher-update/td-p/541252

Yes, 5000 more noobs to dine on. Come one come all.....feed me your noobishness......lol.
I'm glad more people are going to be able to play the beta.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
just got invited to beta from PSN... i would dance if i wasn't so tired atm. playing the shit out of this tomorrow.

PSN: Evolved1

add me gaf.

Lince

Banned
the spawn system is laughable, how are you supposed to capture anything when you have the enemy tact you just killed spawning invincible next to you in seconds, guess you need a maxed out Tact and some support, also the stupid S&M wall hack spamming is getting ridiculous. I've noticed almost everyone stopped playing the beta... so now playing with randoms is so much "fun".

Also, matchmaking, stop matching me with USA hosts, the ping disadvantage is unbearable.

mr_nothin

Banned
X-Frame said:
They defintely needed more players. 2v1 Operations games were getting annoying.
Yea seriously. Like nobodys playing the beta at all. I keep being put in the same mattch I just left. Most I see now is 4v4

beast786

Lince said:
the spawn system is laughable, how are you supposed to capture anything when you have the enemy tact you just killed spawning invincible next to you in seconds, guess you need a maxed out Tact and some support, also the stupid S&M wall hack spamming is getting ridiculous. I've noticed almost everyone stopped playing the beta... so now playing with randoms is so much "fun".

Also, matchmaking, stop matching me with USA hosts, the ping disadvantage is unbearable.

That is very true. The only way I get around is with Max up Tac. Then it is not an issue.

Lince

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Y
Yea seriously. Like nobodys playing the beta at all. I keep being put in the same mattch I just left. Most I see now is 4v4

wait, you're the mr_nothin I was playing in Corinth Highway just now?

lol !

those games were horrible and unbalanced btw, waste of time, I wanted to have a go at the Tactician since I maxed out both the Medic and the Infiltrator in my main account (Lince_SPAIN), but I didn't know you start without the S&M skill, it's frustrating. Who cares anyway.

mr_nothin

Banned
Lince said:

ESPECIALLY when ur definition of fun is to sit on the bridge and snipe ppl at their spawn with an lmg. EFF u lince!! I swear I died from like 2 bullets every time u would shoot at me.

Lince

Banned
mr_nothin said:
ESPECIALLY when ur definition of fun is to sit on the bridge and snipe ppl at their spawn with an lmg. EFF u lince!! I swear I died from like 2 bullets every time u would shoot at me.

same here :lol lots of hit markers but no dice, I guess it's just the lag, let's play on the same team from now on and cooperate as Tacticians. I need to unlock a lot but at least we can try to have some real "fun" (send a FR to my alt PSN account: Lince_USA), and yes, first thing I'm going to do with S&M is wall hacking, time for some revenge.

edit: wait, those games we were like 4-5 players max, and yet it was lagging with the hit detection stuff and almost a full second of death lag, wtf GG???

mr_nothin

Banned
Lince said:
wait, you're the mr_nothin I was playing in Corinth Highway just now?

lol !

those games were horrible and unbalanced btw, waste of time, I wanted to have a go at the Tactician since I maxed out both the Medic and the Infiltrator in my main account (Lince_SPAIN), but I didn't know you start without the S&M skill, it's frustrating. Who cares anyway.
Yea! EFF YOU! We actually started out on the same team but then I got "Session Master Not Avail" and got kicked. Went back to MM'ing and got put back in the same game with you but I was on the opposing team. Sucked balls.

Lince said:
same here :lol lots of hit markers but no dice, I guess it's just the lag, let's play on the same team from now on and cooperate as Tacticians. I need to unlock a lot but at least we can try to have some real "fun" (send a FR to my alt PSN account: Lince_USA), and yes, first thing I'm going to do with S&M is wall hacking, time for some revenge.

edit: wait, those games we were like 4-5 players max, and yet it was lagging with the hit detection stuff and almost a full second of death lag, wtf GG???
I'll send you a FR but I probably wont be playing much of the beta any more. It's kind of frustrating right now and it's a shame to say but TDM is more fun to play than Warzone at this point.

Also, I actually like the size of the TDM version of Frozen Dam. That big open section with the pipes just needs to be cut out or reduced in size or something.

So why is the framerate averaging lower than KZ2 despite a lower player count and the removal of per object motion blur and all environmental destructibility. =/

And why is the framerate in singleplayer reported to be well above 30fps most of the time. \=

I'm hoping this is just a *really* old build, and both motion blur and destroyable cosmetic features (pillars, etc.) return alongside a much improved framerate in the final build.

AndyD

aka andydumi
makingmusic476 said:
So why is the framerate averaging lower than KZ2 despite a lower player count and the removal of per object motion blur and all environmental destructibility. =/

And why is the framerate in singleplayer reported to be well above 30fps most of the time. \=

I'm hoping this is just a *really* old build, and both motion blur and destroyable cosmetic features (pillars, etc.) return alongside a much improved framerate in the final build.

Its an alpha build.

Facism

-problem with warzone, mr nothin, is that all those silly objectives get in the way of everyone playing camperstike tdm.

best to play the pure tdm mode to avoid the hassle of teamplay and strategy ;)

AndyD said:
Its an alpha build.
I realize this, and normally I'd be of the opinion that Alpha > Beta > Final gives them plenty of time to tweak everything and get it all working. But three months!

I mean, unless this build is really old as hell, which would make sense given the framerate compared to what we've seen from the campaign. But then, why test such an old as fuck as build?

mr_nothin

Banned
Facism said:
-problem with warzone, mr nothin, is that all those silly objectives get in the way of everyone playing camperstike tdm.

:lol

The fact that most of your teammates dont go for objectives, or even try to help out, is frustrating. At least people seem to be running around and moving in TDM, even if they're running around with S&M at all times. It's a good place to let your frustration out on ppl ;)

Also, is it me or is anybody else REALLY bothered by all of the arrows being on the screen when playing as a tact? It can be pretty confusing when you have all of the spawn points captured and then you're playing Search & Destroy. Cant really tell where I'm supposed to be taking the Propaganda Speaker sometimes. It also sucks when playing Capture & Hold.

Facism

mr_nothin said:
:lol

The fact that most of your teammates dont go for objectives, or even try to help out, is frustrating. At least people seem to be running around and moving in TDM, even if they're running around with S&M at all times. It's a good place to let your frustration out on ppl ;)

Also, is it me or is anybody else REALLY bothered by all of the arrows being on the screen when playing as a tact? It can be pretty confusing when you have all of the spawn points captured and then you're playing Search & Destroy. Cant really tell where I'm supposed to be taking the Propaganda Speaker sometimes. It also sucks when playing Capture & Hold.

Yeh all the HUD spam is massively annoying and dare i say patronising. Like GG are calling us all idiots with it.

Lince

Banned
Facism said:
Yeh all the HUD spam is massively annoying and dare i say patronising. Like GG are calling us all idiots with it.

don't forget GG removed custom games because "players can't read the server list"...

camperstrike tdm :lol :lol oh GG you had all the potential in your hands but failed miserably...

ah well, I haven't played anything else than Warzone yet, guess I'll join bodycount or whatever the name is a couple of times as soon as I unlock the wall hack perk, proceed to kill some campers and then delete this aberration of beta from my PS3 hard disk.

makingmusic476 said:

well there's tons of stupid (albeit pretty) things and stuff going on in the background now, I guess rendering those is taxing the system just for the wow factor, well the wow factor gets boring soon, but the terrible framerate stays forever.

Cagen

Right, going to fill in their awful surveys as my final bit of input into this game but it really feels like a lost cause. I do feel sorry for the person who has to read through it though, heh.

I honestly can't believe they ask about botzone in the "Final Survey". The patch they updated the beta with didn't even apply to Botzone so people making any comment on it is null and void before even writing a single letter and I can guarentee that people will have taken the basis of their feedback from Botzone, which will do nothing but confuse GG.

It's unbelievable how disorganised this beta has been and I understand it's not strictly a closed beta, making it harder for GG to get viable feedback but it's like they never even tried.

Edit: What the hell, why is there an option of "General Interface" under the heading of "What part of Killzone 3 Online Multiplayer do you feel needs the most improvement before release?"?

I mean, what the fuck? Personally, I would chose this as to me its the most glaringly obvious issue being a Multimedia Designer and I know they are (or at least have said that they are) improving the frame rate slowly but surely. Now I haven't brought it up at all because I know everything is a place holder and they can't seriously be thinking about releasing it in its current state, right... right? Why would they waste their time having this as an option and having people comment on something that probably doesn't even look the same in the current build they are testing in house?

Even their survey is getting me disheartened. Dear lord.

Facism

Cagen said:
Right, going to fill in their awful surveys as my final bit of input into this game but it really feels like a lost cause. I do feel sorry for the person who has to read through it though, heh.

I honestly can't believe they ask about botzone in the "Final Survey". The patch they updated the beta with didn't even apply to Botzone so people making any comment on it is null and void before even writing a single letter and I can guarentee that people will have taken the basis of their feedback from Botzone, which will do nothing but confuse GG.

It's unbelievable how disorganised this beta has been and I understand it's not strictly a closed beta, making it harder for GG to get viable feedback but it's like they never even tried.

I just said botzone was a better game than actually playing online because the bots actually play Warzone, whilst real players play TDM and then get their nose's brown on the beta forum by telling GG that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the game and that every class should be able to wallhack.

KZObsessed

Lince said:

Hence why the feedback so far has been:

1. Reduce neutralisation times.
2. Add a delay to spawning when an enemy tactician is capturing.
3. Reduce spawn invincibility significantly.
4. Add spawn areas to everyones HUD.
5. Label them A,B,C etc for communication with teammates.
6. Add more spawn areas to capture. (Unfortunately the most crucial one which probably wont be added as it would mean changing every map. So we're fucked -_-)

Also at the moment when a guy spawns rush straight towards him and press L1/R3 to brutal melee him. Due to the obnoxious amount of spawn invincibility he'll probably survive it, but as soon as you release him do it again and you'll kill him :lol Got a hate mail message from one guy doing it. :p

For the survey I selected "Matchmaking" as the biggest problem (though I ended up writing an essay on everything.) The point of matchmaking is to make sure the teams are balanced at the start of every game both in number and ability (easier said than done that one.) And to bring people into games which are unbalanced to even things out. This was a big issue in KZ2 and led to most instances of base camping, if the matchmaking isn't going to do that properly they may as well get rid of it as parties are going to be useless. Team based games need balanced teams or they fall apart, Killzone especially so due to nature of the spawn systems and rotating objectives, they got to get that right or it will be rare that we ever get good games just like the latter days of KZ2 and the player base will drop and not return despite how good the game can be. Server jumping for hours to find a decent one made playing KZ2 feel like a chore at times, with matchmaking it could be even worse if you leave a shitty game and end up just getting put back into the same one. That's probably a bigger issue with the Beta as there aren't many games but it still could happen. It's happened to me in other games.

For the Bots is was obvioulsy asking for feedback on the A.I. I played quite a few Botzone games in the private phase as there weren't many games going late at night and the biggest flaws with the A.I. are that the Tacticians rarely capture Spawn Areas when they should be the priority, and enemy Tacticians rarely if ever re-capture spawn areas. This is most obvious on the Corinth Highway map where you don't pass through the spawn areas generally through the games objectives like you do on Frozen Dam. They also have significant trouble planting and diffusing the charges during S&D. If the area is completely clear they can take upto 20 seconds to start planting at times which is silly. Increasing the difficulty level also has little to no affect on their behaviour issues. They just become more "aware" or your presence, their reactions are quicker and their aim becomes quite cheap. So those are some areas the A.I. guys need to work on.

The survey would be miles better if they should said:

"Comment on issues with the following:-
A.
B.
C.
etc"

There is a space for "Any other comments about the Beta?" but why restrict the majority of the feedback to one space for the poor sod to trude through and pick the key points out? If they wanted to guage what the most important thing to fix was then they could ask us to number each option to determine which are the worst aspects. Restricting a response to just 1 option is pretty daft if you ask me and you're not gonna get a clear overall picture. Still, they have done speparate surveys and had separate threads for everything, but it was very late in the day. They have at least received tons of feedback on every single aspect that's an issue and there's no excuse for them not to fix the problems that they're able to fix in the time they have left and even post launch.

Cagen said:

Edit: What the hell, why is there an option of "General Interface" under the heading of "What part of Killzone 3 Online Multiplayer do you feel needs the most improvement before release?"?

I mean, what the fuck? Personally, I would chose this as to me its the most glaringly obvious issue being a Multimedia Designer and I know they are (or at least have said that they are) improving the frame rate slowly but surely. Now I haven't brought it up at all because I know everything is a place holder and they can't seriously be thinking about releasing it in its current state, right... right? Why would they waste their time having this as an option and having people comment on something that probably doesn't even look the same in the current build they are testing in house?

Even their survey is getting me disheartened. Dear lord.

I really don't understand what the fuck is going on. The general interface is something I assumed would've been updated heavily for the final build. I mean, they didn't ask stupid questions like this for Killzone 2, and almost every menu in the beta was altered significantly going into the final build, with basic functionality being increased exponentially.

Honestly, I've been one of the more optimistic testers, which I'm sure is obvious given my posts in this thread, but this just makes even me think GG have lost their fucking minds. They actually have to ask if the general interface should be improved for launch? Seriously?

I can only assume it's because Eric Boltjes is now at Ubisoft, and whoever the fuck is leading multiplayer development doesn't know what the fuck they're doing. Everything I've seen or read about Killzone 3's singleplayer sounds much improved over Killzone 2, unlike whatever the hell that's going on with Killzone 3's multiplayer.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
makingmusic476 said:
I really don't understand what the fuck is going on. The general interface is something I assumed would've been updated heavily for the final build. I mean, they didn't ask stupid questions like this for Killzone 2, and almost every menu in the beta was altered significantly going into the final build, with basic functionality being increased exponentially.

252px-Mercenaries_2_cover_art.jpg

at least I have the SP to look forward to. I'm taking the stance that this is a really old build and they're just fucking with us. Believe.

alr1ghtstart said:
Mercenaries 2.jpg
at least I have the SP to look forward to. I'm taking the stance that this is a really old build and they're just fucking with us. Believe.

Did Mercenaries 2 even have competitive multiplayer? I think it had co-op but I'm not sure it had competitive.

Irish

I need to put some more time into this. Haven't played in a few days.

Also, don't believe AJ's lies about me, my European brethren.

IronFistedChampion said:
That's because it is. :lol
I know right. :lol

Wait what's so funny.

@alr1ghtstart: Is it really true the KZ3 MP lead comes from Pandemic? That just seems like an odd move. First, a guy from Pandemic heading all the way out to Amsterdam, and second, GG making this guy lead MP designer.

Edit: Ok, so I've been lookign into who exactly is heading multiplayer design over at GG. It seems Martin Connor is the Lead Multiplayer Designer, while Dan Nanni is the Senior Multiplayer Designer (source: Killzone.com):

Across the street, another Guerrilla delegation was hard at work setting up the Killzone 3 press booth at Gamescom. By Wednesday morning, the team was ready to receive the first of nine groups of games journalists for a Killzone 3 multiplayer demonstration. Each demo session started off with a quick recap of Killzone 2 and an introduction to Killzone 3's online features by Lead Multiplayer Designer Martin Connor and Senior Multiplayer Designer Dan Nanni.

Dan Nanni is indeed formerly of Pandemic Games. He seems to have been more involved in Star Wars: Battlefront II's development than Mercenaries 2, from what I can tell, though I suppose that's not saying much.

But he's not even lead. That role falls on Martin Connor, whom I can't find any information on. I would assume he worked on Killzone 2, and was simply promoted from within, but I can't find him accredited with anything related to Killzone 2 either.

KZObsessed said:

Unfortunately this and every other survey during this beta reads as though they only have the ability to fix one thing. So once they can determine what the majority think that one thing is they will then try to fix it.

Given some of the posts on the beta forums, I think the responses to this survey will be extremely long and convoluted with no real structure as everyone tries to include everything in one comment box. This will make it almost impossible to actually use most of the written responses and thus GG will only be able to focus on the responses in the check boxes.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I'm wondering if I should believe all the hate or not. I think I'll wait till I get to play it before I have an opinion. Reading all the hate is both annoying and a bit depressing though, and when it comes from people you don't know it's hard to take anything seriously.

Are there people in this thread enjoying the beta and not posting? Or is everyone agreeing following this thread that it's bad?

Rikyfree

cjdunn said:
Got me code last night. Just now I finally got to play. Wondering how old this code is.
This is not even really beta code. Hey, GG, I thought this was a beta, not a widespread alpha testing.

Thunderbear said:
I'm wondering if I should believe all the hate or not. I think I'll wait till I get to play it before I have an opinion. Reading all the hate is both annoying and a bit depressing though, and when it comes from people you don't know it's hard to take anything seriously.

Are there people in this thread enjoying the beta and not posting? Or is everyone agreeing following this thread that it's bad?
I still enjoy it quite a bit, despite its issues (except for when I get put in a 5 v 1 game >_>). New class system + brutal melees + Operations is all good.

I'm just concerned now that the many smaller issues I assumed would be improved/fixed for launch may not get touched at all. The more I read on the beta forums, the more I believe this, and they're running out of time either way.

But who knows, maybe this really is just an incredibly old build, and they simply refuse to update for us testers. Maybe all these issues are already much better and/or fixed. Maybe.

So FFo's brother was on his PSN again a couple days ago, I jokingly changed my status and next thing you know...
FFOSTROLL.png

There's WAY more people who changed theirs as well.:lol Anyway, just thought I'd let you guys know that some of us are playing KZ2 again and you're free to jump in. I'm on most nights so come into the chat room if you'd like to play!

Thunderbear said:

It is pretty different from KZ2, but I've been enjoying it overall. It's still pretty Killzoney to me but I would try to wait for a demo or something to form your own opinion. It seems like some of the different part will be pretty divisive for series fans, but of the group of people that I played KZ2 with...overall opinion is pretty positive.

Some things are pretty broken, like spot & mark but that is supposedly getting fixed (hearsay...). I don't think I see more complaining here than I remember seeing in the 2 thread about bad spawns rockets and framerate, so I would say GAF community response is about the same?

KZObsessed

CrushDance :lol :lol

It was a shock to see all that today when I logged on -_-

On top of that I got tons of hate mail from KZ3 players today for no reason... one game was a 2v1 against me which became a 3v1 against me and I got hate mail from 2 of them for winning it. Never change Killzone community!

I'm also going to play some KZ2 soon CrushDance, KZ3 is just full of campers and assholes.

Rikyfree

KZObsessed said:
CrushDance :lol :lol

It was a shock to see all that today when I logged on -_-

On top of that I got tons of hate mail from KZ3 players today for no reason... one game was a 2v1 against me which became a 3v1 against me and I got hate mail from 2 of them for winning it. Never change Killzone community!

I'm also going to play some KZ2 soon CrushDance, KZ3 is just full of campers and assholes.
Hey, FFo, who's your papa bear? This guy.

Top Bottom