• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Beta Details (Starts 10/25, requires PS+, only 10k spots open)

Spwn

SolidusDave said:
got a code from Sony via email. I guess in the second wave they included the people who downloaded the theme "too early"? :p
better late than never I guess

They've also included people who didn't download the theme and are not PSN+ subscribers.
Guess why I know

mr_nothin said:
I dont think there are any more plans for patching the beta. We'll just have to wait for another phase or final code.

Sit well in my stomach this does not. Cheers for the reply.

As Sir Alex Ferguson would say, 'Its Squeaky Bum time'.

My first impression is that now that I played so much MAG with Move to train this control scheme for FPSs, it actually feels strange playing KZ3 with the DS3. :lol

Hydrargyrus said:
Looks at the particles:

2lvbuhz.gif

Thanks to my friend alucardd
Wow. The explosions look so much better when reduced way down in resolution like this.

In HD, the particle effects and all are pretty nice, but the textures used to represent the mix of fire and dirt are painfully low rez, as you can see in most of the screenshots of multiplayer. The missile smoke trails in MP look awesome, though.

The explosive effects do look better than KZ2, which was just had a mix of blurry gas plumes and some lights. Though Killzone 2's effects seemed more volumetric, imo.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So any news on a Beta Update or something like that?
It sucks having the Beta and not playing it.

lunlunqq

where have you guys been? i play the beta everyday now and the only one from GAF that i have played with is FFO. all the used-to-be kz2 regulars were playing the fucking gimped CoD:BO last night... *sad face*

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
lunlunqq said:
where have you guys been? i play the beta everyday now and the only one from GAF that i have played with is FFO. all the used-to-be kz2 regulars were playing the fucking gimped CoD:BO last night... *sad face*
game sucks. jump on kz2.

alr1ght

Honestly how can anyone champion the lag-less controls of this when the game runs at 20fps + lag and it becomes more more difficult to control? I tried playing a 24 player match and I just couldn't take it.

thuway

Is it really true that the beta is using KZ2 assets as placeholders? Also, that shot of KZ2 looks better than KZ3. It looks like damn near CG. Than again we are comparing Single Player to Multi... soo..

All this is doing is making me think of next gen and this game at true 1080p (frothing at the mouth).

-viper-

Banned
thuway said:
Is it really true that the beta is using KZ2 assets as placeholders? Also, that shot of KZ2 looks better than KZ3. It looks like damn near CG. Than again we are comparing Single Player to Multi... soo..

All this is doing is making me think of next gen and this game at true 1080p (frothing at the mouth).
Killzone 3 MP looks noticeably better than KZ2 MP despite missing the motion blur. KZ2 SP looks better than both though.

jett

D-Member
thuway said:

Many textures in the KZ3 beta especially for small objects are clearly placeholder, but overall it looks really REALLY good, framerate not withstanding. I don't see any KZ2 assets in there.

thuway

jett said:
Many textures in the KZ3 beta especially for small objects are clearly placeholder, but overall it looks really REALLY good, framerate not withstanding. I don't see any KZ2 assets in there.

This is just a sentiment that was echoed when the initial trailer was revealed. "Don't worry they are using KZ2 assets." Like I said, I don't know how true that is, but this is alpha build, and the very idea that the textures and character models could look even better, is making me stand up :).

Cagen

After playing black ops I realised just how good this beta is, even with it being awful, unplayable and nothing like I wanted K3 to turn out. February can't come soon enough. Though I wish they would just patch the beta so we can play with and/or test the new fixes they've implemented, it's baffling that they haven't.

YoungHav

Banned
why do uninformed ignorant journalists and people IRL complain that KZ2 had a ferocious learning curve and drove newbies away because you start out with nothing unlocked while everyone is on roids and killing you? IIRC didn't the game have a "play with other players of the same rank" option? the fuck.

Almost had fun with this last night...

Was forcing myself to shoot from the shoulder instead of ADS and wasn't doing half bad. I just hate having to ADS in an encounter at 10ft. I think the unstable framerate isn't making aiming easy either.

Facism

user friendly said:
Almost had fun with this last night...

Was forcing myself to shoot from the shoulder instead of ADS and wasn't doing half bad. I just hate having to ADS in an encounter at 10ft. I think the unstable framerate isn't making aiming easy either.

ADS is my personal poison for FPS games these days. when a game doesn't need a player to have movements skills as well as aim then i'm not massively interested.

/bitter Quake, Quake2 and UT competitive player

MrPliskin

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Honestly how can anyone champion the lag-less controls of this when the game runs at 20fps + lag and it becomes more more difficult to control? I tried playing a 24 player match and I just couldn't take it.

I haven't had problems with connection.

/anecdotal

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
You know what? Im probably not gonna buy KZ3.
Damn.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So just got in the beta but haven't had the chance to spend much time with it.

Reading a bit here and on the beta forums, is the framerate honestly that bad? I thought the whole point of reducing player count was to improve MP performance?

If it's truly an unplayable piece of shit, has GG made any mention of improving the framerate?

ZeroRay

belvedere said:

Reading a bit here and on the beta forums, is the framerate honestly that bad? I thought the whole point of reducing player count was to improve MP performance?

If it's truly an unplayable piece of shit, has GG made any mention of improving the framerate?

They said something along the lines of how it will be unacceptable if the game isn't a constant 30fps. So I'm not really worried about that.

Gameplay on the other hand...we'll see.

MrPliskin

Banned
belvedere said:

Maybe I'm not sensitive to it, but I find the people complaining about frame rate to be exaggerating tremendously. It's about 20+ at worst during normal playing conditions, and if there's a lot of stuff going on, it drops for a second or so, then goes back to normal.

That said, it's likely this "build" is being used for nothing more than making tweaks to balance and some net code, and all of the visual polish thats probably already present in internal builds won't be here until much later.

This crazy hyperbole bullshit is, unfortunately, what you get when you let lose a beta to a pack of wild retards.

Snipes424

SirIgbyCeaser said:
Beta doesn't represent final code.

It's no use, I tried explaining this to people multiple times, but they just don't get it.

From what I gather, people believe there is a "magical" button developers press to make their games and after this "button" is pressed, the game should have zero lag, zero FPS drops, and be totally balanced. If it's not all these things, then the game is shit with no chance of improvement.

belvedere

Junior Butler
That's sort of what I was hoping. I can't comment on gameplay since I've only played a single match, but I know during the KZ2 beta there were some highly exaggerated complaints.

I also hope GG is a little more selective with fan criticism, as their quickness to address people's whining ultimately ruined KZ2 MP.

MrPliskin said:
Maybe I'm not sensitive to it, but I find the people complaining about frame rate to be exaggerating tremendously. It's about 20+ at worst during normal playing conditions, and if there's a lot of stuff going on, it drops for a second or so, then goes back to normal.

That said, it's likely this "build" is being used for nothing more than making tweaks to balance and some net code, and all of the visual polish thats probably already present in internal builds won't be here until much later.

This crazy hyperbole bullshit is, unfortunately, what you get when you let lose a beta to a pack of wild retards.
What about the devs acknowledging it as unacceptable? It's probably the inconsistency that is bothering people the most.

Rikyfree

I want this game really bad because of what I believe it can be in the next few months. I also, LISTEN TO THIS GG, BTW, is co op. Just come out and say whether it's in there or not already!! The wait is KILLING ME!!!

MrPliskin said:

Thats all very well, but we have seen an analysis where we can all see it can dip as low as 14fps. The people complaining are Killzone fans. They want the best for the franchise and its MP segment. These aren't just twats pulled off of the street.

Facism

Galvanise_ said:
Thats all very well, but we have seen an analysis where we can all see it can dip as low as 14fps. The people complaining are Killzone fans. They want the best for the franchise and its MP segment. These aren't just twats pulled off of the street.

Well, going by most of the feedback on the beta forum, most of them seem to be twats pulled fo the street, or as pliskin put it, a pack of wild retards, but i assume that was more a remark meant to stir the pot here.

So many people completely loving or willfully ignorant of the problems within the gameplay framework, it's shameful.

alr1ght

What exactly are they trying to get out of this beta? They aren't patching it (whether that's due to bandwidth costs/Sony). It just seems to be a stress test.

jett

D-Member
alr1ghtstart said:
What exactly are they trying to get out of this beta? They aren't patching it (whether that's due to bandwidth costs/Sony). It just seems to be a stress test.

Netcode and gameplay feedback, supposedly. This game is going to need another beta test to wash away the bad taste from people's mouths.

Top Bottom