• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 stand alone multiplayer on US PSN next week (All maps, free w/ level cap)

Drencrom

Good move, always wondered why gamedevs haven't released their MP component separately. Maybe i'll get into KZ3 online again with the stream of newcomers.

Acrylic7

Really odd for the Sony to do this. Killzone 3's multiplayer was fantastic, so this could help get more people into the Killzone world (perhaps the 4th installment).

well first off, kz3's multiplayer is trash.

Plus, this is only the multiplayer. When they purchase kz4 (hope they aren't making it) they will be pissed.
they should release kz2 multiplayer for free.

Kz3 is what RE2 did to the Resistance franchise/

XOMTOR

Well that was a waste of time. Just tried joining a game and it took like 5 minutes and then put me in a match by myself. Real fun. Ran around for about 2-3 minutes waiting for someone to show up and then the server booted me. Now I'm starting to remember why I disliked it so much.

Yanked the disk out and slapped in KZ2 and lo and behold, lots of matches going on even after limiting it to my rank & region only.

I was NOT expecting them to include all the DLC, that is AWESOME.

I'm gonna buy this, even though I already own all the DLC and the game itself, because I want an extra 24 hours of double XP, and the 3 unlock points will make my total unused unlock points to 27.

Plus, since 80% of the current Kz3 players already play on the DLC GG won't really be losing much money anyway.

Can't wait for the next double XP weekend. I'm close to 7.5 million XP, gonna cross that line next weekend!

Edit: Just looked up Seargent I, and it is Rank 10 like I thought, so that gives you 10 unlock points to spread around. Honestly, why WOULDN'T you buy this?

Killzone 3 is the best multiplayer FPS of all time. If you disagree, frankly you're wrong, and I pity you.

Hi Meji.

You're bringing your Killzone 3 gimmick here? I guess you got bored of being on gamefaqs NGG ):

Massa

Well that was a waste of time. Just tried joining a game and it took like 5 minutes and then put me in a match by myself. Real fun. Ran around for about 2-3 minutes waiting for someone to show up and then the server booted me. Now I'm starting to remember why I disliked it so much.

Yanked the disk out and slapped in KZ2 and lo and behold, lots of matches going on even after limiting it to my rank & region only.

I'm playing it right now, lots of full rooms (all DLC). The matchmaking fails sometimes, just quit out and try again.

The problem with KZ2 these days is finding a full room with decent settings.

Ravage

I know this might be considered a crazy opinion here, but KZ3 multiplayer is geniunely fun and every bit as unique as KZ2 was.

XOMTOR

The matchmaking fails sometimes....

Yea, you can say that again. I thought they sorted this kinda thing out? I remember being thrown into unbalanced matches all the time back in the early days. Anyway, how exactly does the matchmaking in KZ3 work? What parameters does it use?

The problem with KZ2 these days is finding a full room with decent settings.

Actually, I found 2 fullish warzone (29/32) & 6 custom matches at my rank only; there was a full page if I ignored my rank. Worldwide, well I didn't bother to count.

Dead

well not really...yet
I had fun with the KZ3 MP, but 2 was by far the highlight of console FPS multi this gen imo.

Massa

Actually, I found 2 fullish warzone (29/32) & 6 custom matches at my rank only; there was a full page if I ignored my rank. Worldwide, well I didn't bother to count.

That's just the thing, a Killzone 2 match with 32 players is unplayable.

I know this might be considered a crazy opinion here, but KZ3 multiplayer is geniunely fun and every bit as unique as KZ2 was.
to me it took out many of the unique or uncommon things from killzone 2, and added in more common mechanics like one hit kill melee, killstreaks, a primarily ADS gunplay, mixing class attributes, custom games, custom spawns (although I can see why they changed they way spawns were handled, but it could have been handled better than what they ended up doing.). it didn't even feel like playing killzone.

Ravage

to me it took out many of the unique or uncommon things from killzone 2, and added in more common mechanics like one hit kill melee, killstreaks, a primarily ADS gunplay, mixing class attributes, custom games, custom spawns (although I can see why they changed they way spawns were handled, but it could have been handled better than what they ended up doing.). it didn't even feel like playing killzone.

The Brutal Melee mechanic is actually pretty unique and i wish more shooters use it. Allowing players to save their teammates or themselves before the brutal melee animation can be completed is a really neat idea. If you ask me, this is one of the best examples of covering your buddies in an online shooter and a much fairer system compared to the MW games.

Correct me if i'm mistaken, but aren't the killstreaks merely XP boosters? If so, what's the harm in that?

The Brutal Melee mechanic is actually pretty unique and i wish more shooters use it. Allowing players to save their teammates or themselves before the brutal melee animation can be completed is a really neat idea. If you ask me, this is one of the best examples of covering your buddies in an online shooter and a much fairer system compared to the MW games.

Correct me if i'm mistaken, but aren't the killstreaks merely XP boosters? If so, what's the harm in that?
I think brutal melee would have been better if it weren't so random, plus one hit kills turned the game into people just running through bullets to kill someone instantly when it's better as a last resort, melee was so effective people said "fuck the gunplay, I'll just run at em".

It sounds like Call of Duty, so it's automatically awful.
Yeah that's the reason. Palm to face.
It's been awhile since I've played it, I don't even own it anymore, I don't remember everything.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Definitely not. Killzone 2 MP had its own identity. I played it for over 600 hours. The clan system was terrific and one of the most unique things about the game. While Killzone 3 MP is decent, there is nothing there that will make you want to play it for a long time.

Definitely not. Killzone 2 MP had its own identity. I played it for over 600 hours. The clan system was terrific and one of the most unique things about the game. While Killzone 3 MP is decent, there is nothing there that will make you want to play it for a long time.

Other than the VASTLY improved team support, more dynamic maps and matches, and overall better teamplay, you mean.

elektrixx

Banned
Months ago I got Killzone 3 for AU$28. I could've paid $24 for the Collector's Edition but I hate steel cases.

Even so, all multiplayer portions of games should be able to be installed as a standalone product.

Massa

Gotta disagree.
unless you are in Radec and everyone on the wants to play Rockets vs Grenades.

That's the thing that bugs me about both Killzone games on PS3, some people really do enjoy the clusterfucks they can devolve into under the wrong circumstances. I can't imagine why anyone would want to play an objective game where 32 people are spawning in a very small area of the map, and that's not even mentioning that the netcode for the game can't even support that.

Acrylic7

That's the thing that bugs me about both Killzone games on PS3, some people really do enjoy the clusterfucks they can devolve into under the wrong circumstances. I can't imagine why anyone would want to play an objective game where 32 people are spawning in a very small area of the map, and that's not even mentioning that the netcode for the game can't even support that.

the clusterfuck can be fun but only with people that have skill. Not mindless idiots that are pray n spraying.

What do you mean by the netcode cant support it? kz2 doesn't have lag, unless every single player is going absolute nuts in a small room (probably during search and destroy in ISA base at Radec) .

Why does it bug you what other people like? There was a point where I was playing 32 player matches on Radec exclusively. Once you get accustomed to the speed and chaos, and learned a few strategies to deal with it, it was addictive. Rushing a teams spawn with 10 other teammates, locking them into a hole, and listening the rhythmic chirp from your speakers? Fantastic.

The biggest mistake they made with K3 was getting rid of the spawn grenades. There was incredible strategy involved with them. Some people misused them by placing them in bad spots, but in real hardcore clan games it was something that really set K2 apart from the crowd of FPSes.

njean777

I don't think that's a very good reasoning. COD is popular because it's accessible, that doesn't necessarily mean it's good. For example, I wouldn't put CoD even in same league as Counter-Strike.

No accessible doesn't mean good, but when people play nothing but COD mp there is a reason for doing so. If the MP was just alright it would die off, but does COD MP ever die off in any of the games? NOPE. People still play the old games all the time.

Massa

Why does it bug you what other people like? There was a point where I was playing 32 player matches on Radec exclusively. Once you get accustomed to the speed and chaos, and learned a few strategies to deal with it, it was addictive. Rushing a teams spawn with 10 other teammates, locking them into a hole, and listening the rhythmic chirp from your speakers? Fantastic.

It bugs me because random clusterfucks with shit blowing up and people spawning everywhere is exactly the opposite of what I like about Killzone, which is the excellent gunplay, the strategies you can use with different classes and generally winning a game by being smarter than your enemy.

If the developers wanted to make a game about clusterfucks then I would be fine with skipping it, what I don't like is the two polar opposites existing within the same game and me not having an idea of what I'm about to get into when I sit down to play the game.

The biggest mistake they made with K3 was getting rid of the spawn grenades. There was incredible strategy involved with them. Some people misused them by placing them in bad spots, but in real hardcore clan games it was something that really set K2 apart from the crowd of FPSes.

There's a lot of strategy in controlling the map in KZ3, so much so that it's even easier for a well organized team to completely dominate a match.

njean777

It bugs me because random clusterfucks with shit blowing up and people spawning everywhere is exactly the opposite of what I like about Killzone, which is the excellent gunplay, the strategies you can use with different classes and generally winning a game by being smarter than your enemy.

If the developers wanted to make a game about clusterfucks then I would be fine with skipping it, what I don't like is the two polar opposites existing within the same game and me not having an idea of what I'm about to get into when I sit down to play the game.

There's a lot of strategy in controlling the map in KZ3, so much so that it's even easier for a well organized team to completely dominate a match.

I dont agree with the second statement, the spawn grenades where awesome, if you had good tacticians. It would easily allow your team to get the upper hand and turn a whole game around if somebody messed up somewhere, but in KZ3 you can not do that unless you are lucky and can get past all the enemies before you get to a spawn point.

Massa

I dont agree with the second statement, the spawn grenades where awesome, if you had good tacticians. It would easily allow your team to get the upper hand and turn a whole game around if somebody messed up somewhere, but in KZ3 you can not do that unless you are lucky and can get past all the enemies before you get to a spawn point.

You don't need luck, you just need better teamplay. Having a Medic to revive the tactician and a Marksman to jam the other team's radars is essential. Which brings back the point that a well organized team can completely destroy randoms in KZ3, more so than almost any other shooter on consoles.

And that's really not a good thing. I quit KZ3 MP when I came to the realization that every fucking match was a blowout. There was never any genuine competitive tug-of-war going on, no close wins or losses, and no come backs. The first team that got hold of those spawns won. No team worth a shit would give them up, unless the attacking team was far superior, but of course then they wouldn't have gotten them in the first place. But two equally skilled teams, just from the flip of a coin with who bullet hits first, would still end in a blowout. Horrible, horrible design.

Massa

And that's really not a good thing. I quit KZ3 MP when I came to the realization that every fucking match was a blowout. There was never any genuine competitive tug-of-war going on, no close wins or losses, and no come backs. The first team that got hold of those spawns won. No team worth a shit would give them up, unless the attacking team was far superior, but of course then they wouldn't have gotten them in the first place. But two equally skilled teams, just from the flip of a coin with who bullet hits first, would still end in a blowout. Horrible, horrible design.

That's something that's down to map design. I've had some of my best Killzone matches ever in Bilgarsk and Stahl Arms.

When Killzone 3 works it's a fantastic game. Far better than KZ2 imo. The problem is its inconsistency really hurts it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey

People who were serious about playing objectives would never join a 32 player room. They almost always exclusively played clan matches, or custom games. Imagine playing 1vs1 with 500k valor on the line, with your team spectating you. It was glorious. Killzone 3 doesn't even come close in delivering that sort of intensity.

Killzone 3's main problem was the terrible launch and ignoring things that made KZ2 MP great. With KZ3's accessibility and KZ2's MP design, we could have seen something special.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Would be more interested if it wasn't a game I could find on a disc for basically that price already. (It's 15+ shipping used on amazon, not even counting ebay/craigslist/gamestop)

(Personally never enjoyed the controls or feel of any movement/guns in the series but I'm more talking about the idea of selling MP separately)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
People who were serious about playing objectives would never join a 32 player room. They almost always exclusively played clan matches, or custom games. Imagine playing 1vs1 with 500k valor on the line, with your team spectating you. It was glorious. Killzone 3 doesn't even come close in delivering that sort of intensity.

you know, I'll never forgot my clan's first match I went spectating. I was the founder of the clan and there were too many people who wanted to play so I decided to spectate. This was our first serious enemy.

DAMN. We won 4:3 with like 5% superiority in capture the points (forgot the name of the mode). And then we started playing 2*2 matches which had INCREDIBLE TENSION. I wasn't able to hand it myself so I stopped and let other people do it.

I wish had time and age to get back to this. It's one of experiences I look back fondly and with nostalgia.

kevm3

Killzone 3 spanks part 2 in my eyes. I really don't get the hype about part 2. The slow as molasses controls feels like you are submerged underwater when moving and shooting. The assault maniacs who would just boost and shoot rockets into the ground... maybe they fixed that in later patches, but I didn't stick around long enough to find out. I nearly skipped out on part 3 due to my extreme dislike of part 2, but thank God I played the beta. It turned into my favorite shooter aside from the original Call of Duty 4.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Killzone 3 spanks part 2 in my eyes. I really don't get the hype about part 2. The slow as molasses controls feels like you are submerged underwater when moving and shooting. The assault maniacs who would just boost and shoot rockets into the ground... maybe they fixed that in later patches, but I didn't stick around long enough to find out. I nearly skipped out on part 3 due to my extreme dislike of part 2, but thank God I played the beta. It turned into my favorite shooter aside from the original Call of Duty 4.

the community fixed assaults by restricting the class from playing in the rooms or stripping it of the rocket launcher. It's a shame that the community decided that all classes and weapons except soldier and a revolver are useless. I quit because I wasn't able to find a server with decent settings for quite some time.

Killzone 3's main problem was the terrible launch and ignoring things that made KZ2 MP great. With KZ3's accessibility and KZ2's MP design, we could have seen something special.

Yeah, I still can't believe how badly GG managed to screw things up. The clan matches and valor system really hooked a lot of people in and I know some DICE devs were in a clan and played religiously. GG deciding to ditch the whole concept was just one of many boneheaded decisions they made. I hope someone at GG reads these threads on GAF and takes notes. I think they could still redeem themselves with their next game if they made a campaign with a compelling story and strong characters and the MP more like KZ2 but with the more accessible controls of KZ3.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
*pulls up head in the middle of fight whether KZ2 or KZ3 was better*

Does anyone know whether the people who play for free will be playing on the same matches as owners of the game and owers of the DLC maps?

That would be sweet, more cattle to the slaughterhouse. >:D

Mikey Jr.

Looks like the level cap is enough to max out 1 class (10 pts).

https://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/blog/news/2012-02-24_kz3-multiplayer.html

This is pretty damn good IMO, as most people usually play 1 class and that's it.

The problem is that you CANT play after that which is moronic.

If I was sony/GG, I would make it so that the max you can get is 9 points. So you get really close to maxing out a class, but you cant. But, allow people to play forever. I think that would be better than just stopping them. They can just create a new PSN and keep playing indefinitely, so why not make it free forever?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
From what I remember, the higher levels of a class require more unlock points. So no, you won't be able to fully level up a class.

Facism

KZ2 felt like it was balanced around 8v8 at the most. That's where the best gameplay and strategy comes from.

/sweet memories.

That said, some in the GAF clan thought 3am 2v2 valour matches were a good thing, too. Eh Raist, Cagen?

/bitter memories ;p

Ravage

The removal of clan features is actually my biggest issue with KZ3. I still have no idea why they did that ;(

But while i agree that nothing beats the intensity of KZ2 clan matches, KZ3 has its merits too. Like KZ2, KZ3 multiplayer really shines when 2 equally matched teams are trying their hardest to win. The class dynamic is one area which is much improved imo.

Great move, I bought KZ3 a while ago and was thinking when I finally get around to playing it MP would be dead

This will give it life again

Vaporizer

Banned
That's just the thing, a Killzone 2 match with 32 players is unplayable.

Some of the best games i ever had was 32 player games in bloood gracht in killzone 2.

I remember we had a search and destroy objective there and it was on the helghan side. Shit was awesome. There was nothing more awesome and hilarious running around with an smg in a bottleneck trying to kill as many people as you can before you drown in bullets yourself.

The haze, the explosions around you, the smoke covering the screen, bullets firing past you, the laughter over the voice chat, people screaming i loved it. everyone was trying to either lay the charges or stop it from happening. No one gave a fuck about killcounts or anything. Literally every player on each side joined in the melee. It was glorious that match.

Kz2 was an experience. Kz3? not so much

be more awesome if they did this with MAG, warhawk or KZ2 and brought life back into those communities. KZ3 is still fairly new and most ppl are not playing it because they dont like it not because its old

patsu

Love KZ3 MP. I maxed out all the classes except Marksman I think.

The game is the most fun if you keep switching classes to maximize your advantage. Setting up turrets, repairing ammo crates, grabbing spawns, charging into objective rooms as medics or Saboteur, etc. That way, you won't get a dull moment. And you keep the pressure on the enemies. But a good team of enemies will push back.

Sometimes the back and forth will last all the way until the last second. Loved the intensity.

Top Bottom