• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 stand alone multiplayer on US PSN next week (All maps, free w/ level cap)

tusken77

Love KZ3 MP. I maxed out all the classes except Marksman I think.

The game is the most fun if you keep switching classes to maximize your advantage. Setting up turrets, repairing ammo crates, grabbing spawns, charging into objective rooms as medics or Saboteur, etc. That way, you won't get a dull moment. And you keep the pressure on the enemies. But a good team of enemies will push back.

Sometimes the back and forth will last all the way until the last second. Loved the intensity.

Sounds really fun, can't wait to get stuck into it. Anyone know how hefty the file size will be?

patsu

If you start from scratch, you may need to stick with teammates. You WILL also die from Saboteur's disguise, Marksman's cloaking, Medics' revival. Keep your cool, observe and learn the maps.

After a while, you should be able to sense a disguise (Your real comrades should not walk/run towards you !). You'll also know the safer routes away from sniper fire. Etc.

The game plays like a mini MAG. It could be harsh like MAG, but because you have very special abilities, you may be able to cut through all the defenses and achieve the objectives even alone. In MAG, you'll need teammates' help.

Also beware of proximity mines, key areas are always booby trapped. Either wait for your teammates, throw a 'nade to trigger the explosion, or fire a rocket. The game is half gun fighting, and half using your smarts.

Sometimes, you should give up the current objective, and prep for the next one.
Sometimes, you need to risk it. Sometimes you have no choice but to do all the grunt work like grabbing spawns and repair crates.

The biggest problem about the game is the match making. If the teams are uneven, quit and find another room.

Edit: The easiest class to start with should be the Medic. As you level up, you gain auto-heal, a droid gunner to help pinpoint and shoot enemies, plus revival/second chance.

The Engineer is under appreciated. It is the best defense in the game *when near an ammo crate* because of turret, heavy MG, unlimited mines and ammo. Your enemy will target the crate but as an Engineer, you can repair it quickly.

I was so ridiculously overpowered in the KZ3MP demo I'd actually like to know if that still was the case. People had no idea whatsoever how to play the game o_0

TheJerit

I've been waiting and wondering when companies would start doing this/trying it out. Thought it would have been on the pc first though; well played, Sony.

The classes are really balanced FOR WARZONE, its just that not a lot of people get that. Yes, the MM is undoubtedly at an advantage for killing, but all the other classes have secondary abilities for getting points or completing objectives that the marksmen doesn't have access to so thats where the balance comes from. And most high level players know this; I hardly ever see more than 2 marksmen on a team anymore.

patsu

Yeah most people only stick to one class and ignore the supporting facilities. They complain that no one repairs the crates but forget that everyone, including themselves, could spawn as any class by default.

Marksman are dangerous only in certain maps where they can snipe at the objective room entrance. If you are the defending party, it can delay critical reinforcement. In this case, I would split off and take care of him. Usually Marksman are harmless in the sense that they don't change the outcome. Best strategy is just to avoid/ignore them.

What's nice is if you play smart, someone from the opposite team may infer your intention and come looking for you. In which case, besides the current objective, you also fight for other strategic locations for the remaining, future objectives.

Some maps are unbalanced but I took them as challenges.

Some of the best games i ever had was 32 player games in bloood gracht in killzone 2.

I remember we had a search and destroy objective there and it was on the helghan side. Shit was awesome. There was nothing more awesome and hilarious running around with an smg in a bottleneck trying to kill as many people as you can before you drown in bullets yourself.

The haze, the explosions around you, the smoke covering the screen, bullets firing past you, the laughter over the voice chat, people screaming i loved it. everyone was trying to either lay the charges or stop it from happening. No one gave a fuck about killcounts or anything. Literally every player on each side joined in the melee. It was glorious that match.

Kz2 was an experience. Kz3? not so much

This. Love the chaos in KZ2.

gnarlycrow

Neo Member
Good going Sony. The more the merrier. Been playing KZ3 for about a month and loving it. Had some great Warzone matches last night. It took a few false starts with the matchmaking as usual but ended up with two well balanced teams beating the hell out of each other. Sublime pandemonium.

patsu

Yeah, if not the Warzone, the short skirmish mode (Guerilla Warfare ?) is good too, more for short, intense combat without the strategizing part. I remember Dibbz like GW, while MarshMallow and I play WZ more.

Only ran into MarshMallow once. He's on the opposite team but that round was brutal. I could almost imagine blood splatters on the wall in that Boulevard map. We had people fighting on both floors toe-to-toe in a packed objective room until the final moment. I forgot which side won, I think his team edged out.

Faced him again in the snow cave map. He was the assassination target. A few seconds left. I rushed into the cave from his team's entrance so he wasn't looking my way. Also mined the entrance. He killed me but triggered my mine just when the timer hit zero. Game count it as his win. 8^(. So close !

Massa

Some of the best games i ever had was 32 player games in bloood gracht in killzone 2.

I remember we had a search and destroy objective there and it was on the helghan side. Shit was awesome. There was nothing more awesome and hilarious running around with an smg in a bottleneck trying to kill as many people as you can before you drown in bullets yourself.

The haze, the explosions around you, the smoke covering the screen, bullets firing past you, the laughter over the voice chat, people screaming i loved it. everyone was trying to either lay the charges or stop it from happening. No one gave a fuck about killcounts or anything. Literally every player on each side joined in the melee. It was glorious that match.

Vomit.gif

Boss Man

There's a game on PSN now called Gotham City Imposters that's this price, online only, and actually pretty damn fun (better than KZ3 multiplayer I imagine). I like this and I hope we get more cool shit like it through digital distribution taking hold.

Now if Insomniac (or someone) could just give us a proper online sequel to Resistance: Fall of Man. Hell, for a particularly polished and deep online experience I'd pay $30. I hardly play SP in FPS games anyway.

patsu

Only some maps are unbalanced but I think the team size makes more differences.

There are also nuisances like mech and mounted turrets but most people don't know how to use them strategically. I seldom use them. They can be effective in blocking reinforcements to break tie.

Only used mech to scatter a good team of entrenched players (e.g. in the second floor of Saluman Market).

It's usually a quick death since enemies have rockets but sometimes, dispersing a group of enemies to unblock a passage is more important.

patsu

KZ2 is probably the most unique and atmospheric FPS so far.

I play it mostly for the atmosphere. Loved the visual and environmental effects.

Loved the *original* unpatched gameplay + Saluman Market best.

Edit: Stay away from the clusterf*cks.

Massa

I play it mostly for the atmosphere. Loved the visual and environmental effects.

I agree. KZ2 is my most played game on the PS3.

Facism

did you ever play with us in clan games? It was the height of how great KZ2 could be. Shame the clan options got shit out the ass for KZ3. did they ever rectify that, add more options and sorted out the bullshit disconnects?

I remember we were top 10 for a few weeks before we gave up fighting with the system for clan games.

patsu

did you ever play with us in clan games? It was the height of how great KZ2 could be. Shame the clan options got shit out the ass for KZ3. did they ever rectify that, add more options and sorted out the bullshit disconnects?

I did. That's why the original Saluman map stood out. The atmosphere and no rockets (because we were all too low level) was sublime. Also love to watch lunlunqq use StA51 (?). That two-shot rifle is godly in his hands but I couldn't use it.

Late stage KZ2 games were too messy. I also saw GAF spawn raped other teams in KZ2. That was brutal. And that was also the last time I played the game. ^_^

GG needs to work on match making coz both games are terrible at balancing the teams.

Massa

I remember we were top 10 for a few weeks before we gave up fighting with the system for clan games.

I never played it with GAF but I was in a clan with people from my school. At the time we played the game religiously every day in private rooms, it was a blast.

Wil I be ale to play against bots in this, by any miracle?

Only if you buy the $15 game.

Facism

I did. That's why the original Saluman map stood out. The atmosphere and no rockets (because we were all too low level) was sublime. Also love to watch lunlunqq use StA51 (?). That two-shot rifle is godly in his hands but I couldn't use it.

Late stage KZ2 games were too messy. I also saw GAF spawn raped other teams in KZ2. That was brutal. And that was also the last time I played the game. ^_^

GG needs to work on match making coz both games are terrible at balancing the teams.

That's the curse of highly skilled, highly organised players being injected into pub play for a game where a lot of people don't PTFO.

We got our shit pushed plenty of times in organised play, though. Mostly by lagger spaniards :D

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
i feel sorry for you :p

You missed out. The rush of adrenaline that can only be attained in a 32 match melee spree.

Kz2 will never be topped

and KZ2 allowed that to happen because it was highly customizable. Don't like 32p clusterfucks, join a smaller game. Nowhere to be found in KZ3.

and KZ2 allowed that to happen because it was highly customizable. Don't like 32p clusterfucks, join a smaller game. Nowhere to be found in KZ3.

Yep, you could select/deselect any weapons or classes, choose what game modes to play and how long, turn friendly fire on/off. All taken out for a dumbed down matchmaking system.

Yep, you could select/deselect any weapons or classes, choose what game modes to play and how long, turn friendly fire on/off. All taken out for a dumbed down matchmaking system.

I remember one of the talking points trolls used against KZ2 back in the day was that there was no matchmaking. As if that were a bad thing.

Too bad GG listened.

I don't want to read through everyone's opinions on which fps is better than that fps.... I just want to know if the game locks you out after you reach a specific level or can you keep playing just without the ability to rank up beyond the locked level?

And what if you're already beyond that level from having the retail release?

XOMTOR

Speaking of matchmaking, if I decide to give KZ3 another go, will the system place me in matches with players that have a similar low rank and skill as myself or will I be playing against veterans?

Speaking of matchmaking, if I decide to give KZ3 another go, will the system place me in matches with players that have a similar low rank and skill as myself or will I be playing against veterans?

It will try to place you against similarly ranked players, but if the other team gets a squad of 8 with lots of different ranks you could very easily get pitched against 8 vets and 4 people of similarly low rank to yourself. Its not like CoD where rank doesn't mean crap and you always play against everybody.

They already did this same exact thing with MAG awhile ago. Play forever for free but only go to rank 8 unless you pay.

I'm done with this idea. I wouldn't be opposed to games selling for $30 for the singleplayer and $30 for the multiplayer. Not only would it become a much better convenience for gamers, but if it became a standard it would encourage developers to put out decent singleplayer components that have length, depth, and replay-ability that would make the customer feel its worth $30. Too many uninspired story modes this gen.

I can agree with this. I find most of KZ2's maps too be way too big for 16v16, but 4v4 and 8v8 feel pretty good but the main reason I ever put that disc in my PS3 anymore is 100% because of the atmosphere.

Acrylic7

I suggest that people interested in Killzone use the cash to purchase a used copy of kz2 and play it instead.

psn- Electric7, if you want to get Killzowned. *puts on shades*

I suggest that people interested in Killzone use the cash to purchase a used copy of kz2 and play it instead.

psn- Electric7, if you want to get Killzowned. *puts on shades*

Agreed, Killzone 2 MP is pretty damn awesome. I haven't played KZ3 online yet, only SP. Guess I'll buy another copy of KZ2 and then try this F2P KZ3 multi to compare.

XOMTOR

It will try to place you against similarly ranked players, but if the other team gets a squad of 8 with lots of different ranks you could very easily get pitched against 8 vets and 4 people of similarly low rank to yourself.

Thanks for letting me know but nah, that sounds far too random. Every time I've tried KZ3 online, I always get thrown into games that are 7-2 or crap like that. Don't have the patience to sit there joining and quitting games until I find a balanced match. Stupid matchmaking, GG should have never gotten rid of the server browser. Back to KZ2 it is.

I can't wait until PSN updates today. I wish they did it at a set time, instead of "some time before midnight, but after 4pm."

Also, Killzone 3 Patch 1.14 went live yesterday.

Loudninja

To celebrate Killzone 3’s first anniversary, we’re releasing a standalone version of the game’s online component on PlayStation Store today. Dubbed “Killzone 3 Multiplayer,” it includes the Guerrilla Warfare, Warzone, and Operations game modes, as well as the original Killzone 3 maps and all Killzone 3 DLC maps. Best of all, it’s free to try – you can play any of the maps and modes until you reach the rank of Sergeant I.

If you want to keep playing, attain higher ranks, and earn any of Killzone 3 Multiplayer’s four exclusive new Trophies, you can unlock the full version for only $15. Doing so will net you a 24-hour double XP bonus, three free unlock points, the ability to set up clans and custom games, and access to the Botzone mode to help hone your combat skills.

For those who already own Killzone 3 (or decide to purchase the full version of Killzone 3 Multiplayer), we have another anniversary treat: this weekend will be Double XP Weekend! Starting on Friday, March 2 at 8:00am Pacific time, and lasting until Monday, March 5 at 2:00am Pacific time, all XP earned in online Killzone 3 matches will be doubled. The trial version of Killzone 3 Multiplayer is excluded from the Double XP Weekend, of course – we wouldn’t want you to hit that Sergeant I rank too quickly!
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...multiplayer-hits-psn-today-double-xp-weekend/

Thrakier

That's the curse of highly skilled, highly organised players being injected into pub play for a game where a lot of people don't PTFO.

We got our shit pushed plenty of times in organised play, though. Mostly by lagger spaniards :D

Sadly enough FFO and Lince now pussied out of everything. :(

AEREC

What you are describing was KZ2's biggest fault. So many people created oversized games when there was really only map that was capable of holding 32 people.

Grinchy

Banned

Same here. Back when I played KZ2, I'd typically try to start my own 16-player server with no rockets and friendly fire on. It took some time to fill up, but when it did, it was the best Killzone experience to me. If it wasn't such a pain in the ass to make/find rooms with settings I liked, I would have played a ton more KZ2.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So you don't get to keep playing? Yea this completely lost all interest then. Glorified demo, you get to that rank real quick.

Yep. I thought it would be a nice way to have it always available for those of us who own it. Except with a level cap. If we cant keep playing, then its pretty worthless.

5amshift

Banned
Hope they changed from Killzone 2 MP. I didn't bother with KZ3 because of how bad 2 was. I'll try the MP though for fun.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Someone asked on the EU Blog about what's gonna happen to his current stats in this KZ3 Multiplayer and the reply says that you will be able to continue from where you left off as long as you have the save data.

I don't understand. Why would you need the save data? Aren't stats stored server side? It doesn't make sense. If I log in without my save file will my stats reset?

Edit: Also, if this save file thing is true, couldn't you be able to keep playing for free by simply deleting the save file once you reach Sergent I?

Yeah, what bullshit, I can't believe they're not releasing the entire KZ3 MP component for completely free with only a level cap. What a ripoff.

LOL

I mean, I guess the original story didn't make that part clear so it's a surprise, but...they're not going to give away the entire MP for free. $15 is a fair price and I hope Sony and other pubs start doing this. It's really the best way to go for a FPS.

Yeah, what bullshit, I can't believe they're not releasing the entire KZ3 MP component for completely free with only a level cap. What a ripoff.

MAG did it, guess those expected the same expected too much of a smart idea. This is just a demo again, and with how quick a person ranks up to the limit, it is pretty bad job at being a demo if it locks you out of playing anymore, most MP demos let you even at least keep trying out the game. You can literally get to the max rank in this in one sitting easy, then it's time to cough up $15

Also they were not giving away the entire component, features were locked out, and a person would have pretty much all character options locked out.

They are missing a great opportunity to do something they did already in the past.

Top Bottom