• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Runs at 960x1080 vertically interlaced

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
If you played the game, you'd spot that something was off in MP from a mile away. But it looked like a poor FXAA implementation rather than halved resolution.

I guess it went unnoticed because no one really expects crazy visuals out of MP portions of games anyway.

i havent. i also havent followed killzone much being i dont own a ps4. just find it funny that something like this would have been spotted instantly at or before release for a x1 title because thats what everyone is looking at and laughing at but goes months for a flagship ps4 game.

JLeack

Banned
Well, it looks OUTSTANDING so in the end GG delivered.

May this be why several people (myself included) think Ryse: Son of Rome is on par with it?

Gxgear

This thread's about to blow up, isn't it? I had fun with SF's multiplayer but the framerate dips were pretty jarring.

Curufinwe

"resolutiongate" when it comes to the xb1, why not the ps4 also?

Should hold both consoles to the same standards.

Resolutions are a big deal on both platforms mainly because they are a proxy for graphical power, something that was much disputed before the consoles released. But then they did release and there are multiplatform games like BF4 and AC4 that run at higher resolutions and higher frame rates on the PS4 than on the Xbox One.

Havel

The thing is that 1080p = 1920*1080.

---------

And lol at people saying this proves that resolution doesn't matter.

1080p and 1920x1080 are not mutually exclusive.

All 1080p refers to is 1080 horizontal lines of a vertical resolution.

KJRS_1993

didn't say you did. Just simply stating

I hope you feel several times better for having done so. It made a big difference.

There's been a continuous procession of threads about resolution and such for a while now. You didn't expect this to get one too? :p

It doesn't surprise me that it did get its own post to be honest, which is unfortunate more than anything else. You can crunch as many of these numbers as you please, I don't think a game has ever been regarded as a timeless classic because it had a good resolution.

That's incredibly disappointing and honestly something we should've known and something I would've hoped they would of told us

That's awful

Apalling, Sony and GG keeping mum about this in the wake of the massive shitstorm swung at Microsoft for the lack of 1080p is deplorable. This is worse than Crytek's "Full HD" tweet.

Bear in mind that the effect of these "wide pixels" could have been minimised by anti-aliasing or post processing. Which is why no one could quite up why the multiplayer image quality wasn't the same as the single player.

They can get away with saying it is native 1080p here. Technically, 960x1080 is 1080p. Just not 'full HD'. Now if they said full HD, that would be a flat out lie.

No. The term "native 1080p" assumes a widescreen, 16:9 aspect ratio and 1920 vertical lines of pixels / 1080 horizontal lines.

The PlayStation Blog said the following:

dVZmwMA.png

Therefore, they intentionally misled us.

JLeack

Banned
The fact that no one knew or cared about this shows just how little all this shit matters outside of petty console wars on either side. Always built up into the worst news ever when publicized, but if no one bothers to check, no one knows or cares at all.

Bingo. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Cade

This explains why the singleplayer looked so much better. What it doesn't explain is why Sony said native 1080p, how Guerilla couldn't get that game at that res to hit 60fps, and why we're only hearing this now.

But its still fun guys.. thats all that matters right?.....guys?...am i right?

And here I was boasting about the Multiplayer being native 1080p and 60fps with such confidence.
welp
300802d1360010756-surveyor-tim-pitts-not-recommended-eat-crow.jpg

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Game runs great locked at 30fps in campaign. Should have just stuck with that.

Yeah, they made weird trade-offs. They could have gotten rid of some visual effects as well. The game has too much visual clutter in multiplayer for me personally.

I could have sworn that before launch Guerrilla said that Shadow Fall's multiplayer ran at a variable resolution to keep the framerate high. Must have dreamed it.

Except people did recognise the multiplayer image quality was off and couldn't put their finger on why. Now they know.

Yep.

Also: I believe it was the framerate they said was going to be variable, and admitted that it wasn't a hard locked 60. I remember them correcting someone on twitter for reporting that mp had a locked framerate.

Either way it makes sense considering they finished the game so early before launch. Can't wait to see what the next one looks like.

Don't know why people are acting like resolution doesn't matter at all because of this article. People have said KZ MP had a very soft look to it and that is the result of low resolution.

Lol at the huge fps drops with that res though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, they made weird trade-offs. They could have gotten rid of some visual effects as well. The game has too much visual clutter in multiplayer for me personally.

Locked 1080p/30fps with some better motion blur and AA would have looked incredible and they have the headroom to do it. They probably had to scramble since BF and CoD were 60 :/

I don't understand that resolution and the weird upscaling.
More devs should use it instead of going 720p.

KZ MP looks like 1080p with poor AA. IMO still better than 720p or 900p.(except 900p with good AA. Ryse looks much better than KZ MP)

coldfoot

Banned
If it's good enough to convince people that it's just a poor aa implementation, wouldn't it mean its a successful up scaling method?
Oh and I personally never noticed it because I don't play mp :)

Havel

No. The term "native 1080p" assumes a widescreen, 16:9 aspect ratio and 1920 vertical lines of pixels / 1080 horizontal lines.

The PlayStation Blog said the following:

Therefore, they intentionally misled us.

Out of curiosity, what aspect ratio is 960x1080?

ps3ud0

Im confused now, should I hate DICE or not? Considering all the stick BF4 has got (quite rightly), it seems DICE at least put some real effort into getting the MP to look as it did.

Damn its EA, ignore my reasoning!!!

ps3ud0 8)

VanWinkle

This actually makes me mad at Guerilla. I remember they were saying that MP would only drop below 60fps in extreme situations, like if all 24 players through a grenade at the same time. They also said that it was native 1080p. Now we find that in a 24 player match the game is NEVER even close to 60fps, AND the resolution is significantly below 1080p.

The multiplayer in general just seems riddled with tech problems.

....and this is why Gaf resolution threads make me laugh. Too many experts and nobody really knows shit. I mean, DF can't even be counted on.

Good times.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
i havent. i also havent followed killzone much being i dont own a ps4. just find it funny that something like this would have been spotted instantly at or before release for a x1 title because thats what everyone is looking at and laughing at but goes months for a flagship ps4 game.
The thing is, it doesn't look upscaled. I don't know how to describe it. It wouldn't surprise me if DF contacted the developer for an explanation of what they did. Like, you can find screenshots of MP that look quite pristine, and if you'd pixel count them, you'd probably count that it was full res.

You remember how when MLAA first came out and no one seemed to understand how it can look so good at yet so bad sometimes? This is probably something like that, where people looking at it just couldn't figure out what it was that they were looking at.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This actually makes me mad at Guerilla. I remember they were saying that MP would only drop below 60fps in extreme situations, like if all 24 players through a grenade at the same time. They also said that it was native 1080p. Now we find that in a 24 player match the game is NEVER even close to 60fps, AND the resolution is significantly below 1080p.

The multiplayer in general just seems riddled with tech problems.
Yeah, I'm upset. I believed both claims before launch too.

Well... There's Wolfenstein, so there's still hope.

Wait, will Wolfenstein have MP?
SP only

Top Bottom