• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Runs at 960x1080 vertically interlaced

maneil99

Compressed Facebook images so they're not too helpful but I had them handy

Campaign:
1465766_1376507119263433_2025551540_o.jpg

Multiplayer:
1519915_1403350109912467_937314060_o.jpg

Look the same to me

REV 09

This would have caused a storm of drama 4 months ago.

Every game has to cut corners somewhere. Interesting approach and it still looks great.

iceatcs

...it can. Even PS3 could technically. The game has to be designed around that, and clearly KZ MP wasn't designed for both 1080p and 60fps. Probably designed for 1080p 30fps and then were pressured into 60fps, making them lower the res and have other poor optimizations at the last second, and they still couldn't get it to 60fps.

You mean 'never reach at 60fps' or 'fail solid 60fps'?

No. The term "native 1080p" assumes a widescreen, 16:9 aspect ratio and 1920 vertical lines of pixels / 1080 horizontal lines.

hmmm...

960a x 1080a + 960b x 1080b will get you 1920x1080

But, it sounds like one half frame is held for 2 frames?
So, is it more like 960a x 1080a + 960a x1080b?

I feel discombobulated.

So, how does the game look in 1080i?

This is insane.

The fact we're just realizing this now goes to show that the ability to actually identify resolutions and the backlash generated by resolutiongate is extremely disproportionate.

Not really. Most people have complained about killzone's mulitplayer being much blurrier/uglier then the single player.

VanWinkle

Instead of resolution, GG should have lowered the visuals (lighting, textures, effects, reflections) to get a solid 60 fps. As it is right now, it's only a solid 60fps for 2vs2 games.

Yup. It's quite disappointing. I wouldn't have even been against native 1080p with 30fps, and great visuals.

Too bad fun isn't one of them.

That has literally nothing to do with this topic.

You mean 'never reach at 60fps' or 'fail solid 60fps'?

I don't know if it ever gets to full 60fps, but it definitely isn't a solid 60. Maybe close to that in the really small matches (say, 10 people or less). 24 player matches, which 90% of the people play, isn't even close.

The multiplayer for BF4 on PS4 is equivalent to slightly below medium settings on the PC version, it shouldn't take THAT much effort to get that running at 900p with framedrops.

eh, this isn't true at all. it uses a mix of medium, high and ultra settings. textures are on ultra, lighting and shadowing is medium, effects are high, fxaa, HBAO, no MSAA, terrain is probably high and level of detail is also high or medium

the only thing PS4 needs is better shadow quality, but a more powerful CPU is needed...otherwise it is a great looking game. I know cause I played BF3 on ultra. With more dev time, I am sure Battlefront 3 will look much better on both systems.

Lima

Not so much about the SP campaign.

First 4 chapters are like 10/10. Stunning visuals, beautiful music, the open level design etc.

After that it becomes a completely different game and turns into one of the lamest shooters of recent years. It's like the second half of the game was done by a different team or were some deleted scenes from Killzone 2 or 3.

KJRS_1993

There's a lot of talk about it because new hardware is out and we're all still trying to get a sense of what they're capable of. This will take many more months, so if you aren't interested in that conversation, why not stay out of those threads?

Nobody here needs to be reminded that resolution isn't the only thing that matters. Everyone knows it. People are focusing on resolution because that's the subject of the thread. Don't assume that's all they care about.

I just do wonder, for all the over-the-top outrage about resolutions and frame-rates (when clearly, the difference is not that clear), that even when you do have an idea of what the systems are capable of, what difference does it make?

The developers will do their best with the hardware, and make the trade-off's between frame rate, resolution and other effects to make a balance that best suits the game they are trying to create. I'm bewildered by the thought that people would rather pixel count, than just to sit and enjoy these games, like what we're meant to do!

And I'm evidently not alone in this confusion about the obsession.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If the resolution was lower how come nobody could put a finger on why multi looked "off"? That is what I want to know.

Because they failed to associate a knowingly blurry image quality with lower resolution. Most people couldn't pixel count for shit, yet they can still see the visible degradation of image quality at lower resolutions, as evident here. And that's what matters and why people like higher resolutions.

Compressed Facebook images so they're not too helpful but I had them handy

Campaign:
1465766_1376507119263433_2025551540_o.jpg

Multiplayer:
1519915_1403350109912467_937314060_o.jpg

you can see the temporal dithering artifact from the upres-interlace.

I want to say, for posterity sakes, that I noticed this strangeness in the gamescom footage... but could not put my finger on it.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Look the same to me

IIRC, I had the impression that the multiplayer had more aliasing, which would go well with that resolution. That would be more noticeable in motion though.

leng jai

People have stated that it looks blurrier in MP from day one. It's just harder to tell from our couches if it's because of the AA, post processing or resolution.

David___

Banned
Infamous better be native or I'm going to be pissed. And here I hoped that 1080p would be the standard res.
Decided that if my PS4 breaks down I'm going to build a PC instead of replacing it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
We were told by Sony/Guerilla that it was native 1080p. If a developer you thought you could trust tells you the game is native 1080p, but the game still looks blurry, you assume it must be something else other than resolution.

They also said that AA in Campaign and MP were different, so everyone just attributed it to that.

Infamous better be native or I'm going to be pissed. And here I hoped that 1080p would be the standard res.
Decided that if my PS4 breaks down I'm going to build a PC instead of replacing it.

eh? This is was most likely a rushed launch game. They could fix the resolution and the frame rate with a patch. I think they will fix one of two, let's wait :p

SparkTR

eh, this isn't true at all. it uses a mix of medium, high and ultra settings. textures are on ultra, lighting and shadowing is medium, effects are high, fxaa, HBAO, no MSAA, terrain is probably high and level of detail is also high or medium

the only thing PS4 needs is better shadow quality, but a more powerful CPU is needed...otherwise it is a great looking game. I know cause I played BF3 on ultra. With more dev time, I am sure Battlefront 3 will look much better on both systems.

Yeah you're probably right about the textures, but there was a comparison taken here not long ago that compared medium settings to the PS4 version, and the PS4 version was noticeably missing foliage and had a lower draw distance, in addition to the shadows/AA/terrain being worse or exactly the same as medium settings.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Not really. Most people have complained about killzone's mulitplayer being much blurrier/uglier then the single player.
As I stated in my post, I'm mainly surprised by the disproportion. The number of people who noticed this, and the headlines they consequently generated are nowhere near the buzz resolutongate produced.

Basically, the obsession with the pixel numbers game greatly outpaces the actual tolerance. Which should come as a surprise to no one.

Top Bottom