• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

I can definitely see people use to the ridiculously paced 3 hr campaigns on COD and BF not liking this game one bit. They probably bought Killzone SF as as their PS4 launch 'shooter' expecting something on those lines and hate it for not being more like COD/BF4.

Personally, I absolutely hate those campaigns and games. The last good COD was 2 and I've never liked BF. I think this campaign was old school good and very solid. There was plenty of atmosphere, some great level design, rock solid gunplay, jaw dropping graphics, no hand holding and some very nice changes of pace. I don't want campaigns to be 100% action all the time and I think having long "atmosphere" sections in between fights is something more games need to follow. There were some flat out terrible moments in the freefall sections but the campaign as a whole was easily the best I've played on a FPS in a very long time (Resistance 3/Halo 3 were the last ones I liked).

Sean

Banned
Just beat the last level,
Chapter 10 - Playing as Echo
, and my god, that level was the last little squirt of runny diarrhoea on top of the shit sundae. Must have taken me around 20 tries, eventually I just brute forced it.

At least I got a massive laugh out of the credits. That music... it's like they believe they made a masterpiece, rather than the new Perfect Dark Zero.

I've already put an ad up online to sell this game. Get it the hell out my house!

Lol well put.

When the credits rolled I thought to myself "thank god I'm finally done with this shit" and then 2-3 minutes later "nooooooo".

Satchel

Banned
Anyone else have a collectible not where it's meant to be?

I'm on chapter 4 and I'm using a guide. I get to where comic 3 SHOULD be, and it ain't there.

What the fuck.

Dahaka

Finished it yesterday. In short: I liked it (would give a 7/10) but it didn't feel a lot like a Killzone game, though that feeling went downwards with Killzone 3 already. I'm missing that dark, gritty setting, if they continue with that I don't think they should put their next game into the Killzone universe. They should know by know that KZ2 was their best game to date.

There are a couple things that led me to believe that this game was rushed. Abrupt endings of "cutscenes" fading into the next chapter felt unsmooth, lack of explanation of the weapon system you use while floating in space (or maybe I missed it), that awkward doctor with her voice and mannerisms, it felt kinda cheap like a c-movie with what they did with characters in general, it made me disconnect from them lot of times. The stealth system was useless. I replayed the hostage chapter twice and in both attempts (stealth and rambo) no hostage died so what's the point in stealth?

What I liked was the gunplay, the tactical possibilities with the OWL, a lot of the places you encountered like the underground city or dying Helghan, they nailed it a lot of times with the audiovisual atmosphere (escape scene after getting elecrocuted, the space mission, helghan). I didn't find chapter 7 hard, there were plenty of mines to place along all entrances and pretty much endless ammo and various weapons. It involved a lot of movement and positioning (+using the OWL smartly), I don't see the problem.

Chapter 7?

I would help you through it, you can easily do it without taking damage, but the part after that is what I consider the bad part of the game. If you haven't enjoyed it yet, stopping is probably the best bet.
I do think chapter 8 is a great level. It's just the beginning that has some weird controls. In the end, that's a one minute part.

Cudder

Where can i read a recap chapter by chapter, i beat the game this week but i was pretty fucking lost story wise most of the time.
The entire premise of the story (Helghast being allowed to take over half of Vekta AND keep their military/dictatorship intact) is so goddamn dumb I'm surprised it was even THOUGHT of, let alone what was actually used in the game.

Field

You can load the game at the last checkpoint you were at if you choose "select chapter" instead of resume campaign its stupid but it works.

Melchiah

I just finished the game this week, and was left with mixed feelings about it. I particularly enjoyed the openness and atmosphere of the chapters 2, 3 and 5, and disliked
the stealth sections
in 6 and 10 the most. It felt like the game was rushed, as the best chapters were in the first half, and I hated those few areas where you were fighting against waves of incoming hordes. Overall, I liked the game, but I think I would have enjoyed it more on easy, as it was extremely frustrating at times on normal. In fact, I had to change to easy during the last fight on chapter 9, as I just couldn't get through it.

Melchiah

Chapter 7 was a pain but it's Chapter 8 where I'm considering dropping it.

The bit with the 2 robots is infuriating.

Towards the end of it? If so, I thought that was relatively easy, at least compared to some of the harder sections in the game. I just kept the large tube between me and them, and cheap-shotted them from its shelter.

Ah, OK, I'm on Helgan not Veckta. Makes 100 percent more sense, then. I just continually miss story beats like that for some reason. I didn't know where we were. Did they say that right before we went down, or was it mentioned before Ch 7? Maybe I'm dense.

You can load the game at the last checkpoint you were at if you choose "select chapter" instead of resume campaign its stupid but it works.
I'll be damned.

btkadams

, and my god, that level was the last little squirt of runny diarrhoea on top of the shit sundae. Must have taken me around 20 tries, eventually I just brute forced it.

At least I got a massive laugh out of the credits. That music... it's like they believe they made a masterpiece, rather than the new Perfect Dark Zero.

I've already put an ad up online to sell this game. Get it the hell out my house!
A lot of people complained about that final mission. I really liked it and I didn't die once. Sometimes it seems like I played a different game than a lot of you guys.

Also, I strongly recommend you try the multiplayer before selling (if you haven't already).

Bumhead

Banned
Why? I thought that part was pretty great actually. The whole level in fact (asside from the freefall controls)

Just can't seem to do it. I seem to have hammered the one infront of the building with everything I've got but can't destroy it.

I'm just getting hammered by them both.

Kolgar

LOL amazing! We had the same reactions--I couldn't set the trade and box it up fast enough.

Still enjoying Mercs on Vita though.

BBY listed a season pass for free at some stores.
?

Care to elaborate more on this?

Anyone else have a collectible not where it's meant to be?

I'm on chapter 4 and I'm using a guide. I get to where comic 3 SHOULD be, and it ain't there.

What the fuck.
I just got that trophy last night and had no problems. Maybe check another collectible guide? Or watch a Youtube video of where the collectibles are. They can be very easy to miss.
Finished it yesterday. In short: I liked it (would give a 7/10) but it didn't feel a lot like a Killzone game,
I love SHadow Fall and continue to love it, running through multiple playthroughs of it. And I prefer MP to CoD's. However, maybe because it doesn't quite feel like the KillZone of yore is why I love it so much. I found KZ2 and KZ3 to be so laughably bad, I feel about those games the way some GAFfers feel about Shadow Fall.

Is Shadow Fall perfect? No, but it is a solid game, especially considering it's a launch title. In my opinion, it's the second best launch FPS next to Halo (though that doesn't really say much). Sure, the story and voice acting needs improvement, as they always have, but I think Guerilla Games is definitely coming into their own finally.

Ah, OK, I'm on Helgan not Veckta. Makes 100 percent more sense, then. I just continually miss story beats like that for some reason. I didn't know where we were. Did they say that right before we went down, or was it mentioned before Ch 7? Maybe I'm dense.
It's mentioned in the opening cutscene. Rather blatantly, too. :p

SkylineRKR

No I think Guerrilla is still shitty. I like the MP but the single player is awful; its worse than Killzone 3. The writing gets progressively worse too, Kellan is the worst mc ever.

SpartanN92

Banned
I finished it last night...I honestly had no fucking idea what was going on in that story. It was such a clusterfuck.

The MP was fun enough for an hour or so.

Overall VERY disappointed...

That all said....Dem graphics...So good.

I finished it last night...I honestly had no fucking idea what was going on in that story. It was such a clusterfuck.

The story wasn't that difficult, was it? It was weird how you rushed from one point to another point, but the story itself was pretty straightforward.
It wasn't told that well though.

This might be the worst shooter campaign I've played all year

This is not a good video game by any stretch of the imagination...as far as the single player is concerned.

Just can't seem to do it. I seem to have hammered the one infront of the building with everything I've got but can't destroy it.

Is it the big spider walking robot? Cause if there is only one, there is a more suitable weapon nearby. But you don't have to kill it.
If it's the part where there are two, then you don't even have to deal with them (asside avoiding them and run like hell and hide when they are shooting).
Just make sure you find the cores for the other machine

TyrantII

Just played the third mission - the bullshit reactor puzzle pops into my mind as poor game design. It's drawn out, boring and frustrating.

This game needed a competent director.

How is it poor design? Not only was it obvious what you had to do, but tapping "up" on the dpad showed you exactly the 4 places you needed to go, and holding up told you what needed to be done there.

I loved the down sections like this since they reminded me of HL, and this particular one of Dead Space.

Again, what other FPS campaigns are considered better design wise? This isn't in my top list, but it's easily in the top 20%. Bioshock Infinite, for all it's polish, was a much worse SP shooter on the merits IMO. Story wise I'd say there about even in clunkiness and cheapness, but it's very rare for a FPS to succeed on the story front.

TyrantII

You don't even need to kill them if you're quick and smart on the guard system. You can put both petricite containers in, before you shoot either and do so quickly to get it to blow, and move past the area all without dealing with the ground bots.

Otherwise a little searching reveals a RL. And as was said in the store, the owns stun ability works on all technology, including disabling bots for a short while.

How is it poor design? Not only was it obvious what you had to do, but tapping "up" on the dpad showed you exactly the 4 places you needed to go, and holding up told you what needed to be done there.

I loved the down sections like this since they reminded me of HL, and this particular one of Dead Space.

Again, what other FPS campaigns are considered better design wise? This isn't in my top list, but it's easily in the top 20%. Bioshock Infinite, for all it's polish, was a much worse SP shooter on the merits IMO. Story wise I'd say there about even in clunkiness and cheapness, but it's very rare for a FPS to succeed on the story front.
Yeah i agree.

How was the story a clusterfuck? Are you talking about the abrupt cut from chapter to chapter or something? I could understand that being annoying as it annoyed me and it was cheap, but the story and plot are pretty straightforward. People make it sound like MGS2 or something. The story seemed to flow fairly well too.

This is not a good video game by any stretch of the imagination...as far as the single player is concerned.

Wat. I feel like I'm drowning in hyperbole in here.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Play Crysis 3 and BF4 (if it doesn't crash and corrupt your saves) then get back to me.

The story wasn't that difficult, was it? It was weird how you rushed from one point to another point, but the story itself was pretty straightforward.
It wasn't told that well though.

I don't know how people are getting lost with the story. It's pretty straightforward, just not all that well told or well written. KZ3 was disjointed as hell and tough to follow but this isn't difficult to grasp.

Im thinking of selling my copy of it, But its going quite cheap for Next-Gen standards on ebay, Can easily get it for £30 new.

I feel its incredibly rushed and as good as the visuals are the game itself becomes an ordeal to play which is never a good thing.

Derrick01

Banned

Agreed. At least gamestop gave me $42 for it so I was able to cut my losses with a minimal hit to the wallet.

Cubed

How was the story a clusterfuck? Are you talking about the abrupt cut from chapter to chapter or something? I could understand that being annoying as it annoyed me and it was cheap, but the story and plot are pretty straightforward. People make it sound like MGS2 or something. The story seemed to flow fairly well too.

Wat. I feel like I'm drowning in hyperbole in here.

I agree. I've rarely seen such contempt for a game. I just don't get it. You'd think it was buggy and broken the way some on Gaf complain about it. It looks great, plays fine, has a serviceable story, and a fun multiplayer. No one has yet expressed a negative view I can wrap my head around except that the story cuts are very abrupt and jarring.

I literally have put 25 hours into the single player through multiple playthroughs and almost 10 into multiplayer. I still don't see how this game could "offend" anyone in either it's single or multiplayer.

King_Moc

Banned
The entire premise of the story (Helghast being allowed to take over half of Vekta AND keep their military/dictatorship intact) is so goddamn dumb I'm surprised it was even THOUGHT of, let alone what was actually used in the game.

The game really not being very good combined with the above kills it stone dead imo. It's completely impossible to get even remotely invested in a story when it is based on a premise as utterly dumb as that.

So what the hell is going on at the end of Chapter 7????? Tons of baddies rolling on me from across a giant room. Clearly I'm missing something. I've grabbed the big gun with the short bursts. Trying to take out enemies but they just overwhelm me and my crew. Is there a more powerful weapon I'm missing? Is there a better defensive position I'm missing? Even with two adrenaline packs I cannot outlast these guys. I'm playing on easy. WTF?

I think now that I'm 75% through I can safely say the game is quite mediocre. Loved the forest level but nothing else has come close since. Would love to power through and finish it but it doesn't seem worth the frustration. I mean, it's not like the story is going to have a pay off. It's barely coherent to this point.

Once the wow factor of the graphics wears off I don't think this game will be looked back on fondly at all.
Grab a sniper rifle and, at the beginning of the round, run to the "office" on the right part. You'll see ennemies moving through the unbreakable windows. Get out of the office to snipe them while they focus on the ISA troopers and return to the office when you're hurt. Some troopers (usually those with shotguns) will come to you. Pick them up in cqc as they climb the ladder to the office. Now there's a moment when helghast carriers are announced. Get out of the office and run back to your guys or you'll be overwhelmed. Soon the ISA will succeed in hacking that helghast bomber (that's the reason why you're making a stand there, to earn some time to hack that bomber... It's explained in a cutscene) and you'll have access to one of the bomber's gun. Use it to mow down every Helghast trooper and, soon, they'll retreat.

Griss

I found the setup to this game so funny that I actually told my non-gamer friends about it as we watched football. They thought I was shitting them.

-Destroy enemy planet
-Feel bad
-Give enemy half your planet and forcibly remove all of your citizens from that area
-Immediately wage war on that half of your planet as the enemy kills some of your citizens

Amazing stuff. What also blew my mind was the 'weapon' going from some kind of racist biological weapon to
some massive spire controlled by an old dude in a bed.
I've had fever dreams that made more sense than this. Not only that, but key dialogue was often drowned out by other audio so I wasn't sure who a bunch of the characters really were. I also missed a bunch of objectives due to this issue, and reading the thread it's clear that this happened to a bunch of people. People are missing story beats all over the place.

When that one boss comes out at you and is all like
'you've been taking the credit for killing me'
I had absolutely no idea who he was or what he was talking about. The fact that some people are describing one of the worst stories in a game this decade so far as 'serviceable' just shows what some teams can get away with due to launch hype.

When that one boss comes out at you and is all like
'you've been taking the credit for killing me'
I had absolutely no idea who he was or what he was talking about. The fact that some people are describing one of the worst stories in a game this decade so far as 'serviceable' just shows what some teams can get away with due to launch hype.
The guy you've been chasing for half the game?

Was just about to say this. lol

Forget it. I give up on trying to defend the SP. Killzone is destined to never be accepted by the masses.
That's probably for the best. KillZone has always elicited a love-it-or-hate-it attitude. It just all boils down to which game(s) of the series you love and which one(s) you hate.

Cubed

Sev and Rico DO NOT represent all Vektans. People keep saying the premise is stupid because the Vektans blew up Helghan and then "felt bad" so they house the survivors.

No. Vektans don't take credit for Sev and Rico and a few splinter cell folks' actions. They house the Helghans as part of a human rights issue, to try to quell a war. Unfortunately, Helghans aren't that quick to forget. 30 years of oppression and built frustration then leads to terrorist attacks.

The story is fine. Great? No. "Serviceable," as I said? Yes.

Cudder

Sev and Rico DO NOT represent all Vektans. People keep saying the premise is stupid because the Vektans blew up Helghan and then "felt bad" so they house the survivors.

No. Vektans don't take credit for Sev and Rico and a few splinter cell folks' actions. They house the Helghans as part of a human rights issue, to try to quell a war. Unfortunately, Helghans aren't that quick to forget. 30 years of oppression and built frustration then leads to terrorist attacks.

The story is fine. Great? No. "Serviceable," as I said? Yes.

Was dropping a nuke on their planet and trying to eradicate the whole Helghast population not a slight infraction of this "human rights issue"? Did they not drop a nuke on Helghan to try and quell a war?

Was dropping a nuke on their planet and trying to eradicate the whole Helghast population not a slight infraction of this "human rights issue"? Did they not drop a nuke on Helghan to try and quell a war?
If you mean the end of Killzone 3 they didn't drop a nuke.

Stahl built his super petracyte weapon and had a fleet ready to use the weapon to wipe out Earth. Your small band of survivors took the ship down - Stahl escaped but the ship crashed back on the surface and wiped out billions in some crazy anti-gravity explosion.

I don't follow this stuff too closely but I did just finish a replay of Killzone 3 recently.

Melchiah

After Hiroshima and Nagasaki were nuked, the US gave food aid for Japan, and helped to rebuild their economy and infrastructure few years after the war had ended. Things aren't as black and white.

If you mean the end of Killzone 3 they didn't drop a nuke.

Stahl built his super petracyte weapon and had a fleet ready to use the weapon to wipe out Earth. Your small band of survivors took the ship down - Stahl escaped but the ship crashed back on the surface and wiped out billions in some crazy anti-gravity explosion.

I don't follow this stuff too closely but I did just finish a replay of Killzone 3 recently.

Close. Tagging this just be safe.
A nuke is fired at the petrusite ship which was in Helghan orbit and as a result of the explosion in the planets orbit, the petrusite is ignited or released and burns Helghan. They didn't intend to destroy Helghan, just the ship Stahl was on to prevent him from destroying Earth.

krioto

Really surprised so many gaffers are Avignon trouble working out objectives and what to do. Looks like Guerilla seriously over estimated their audiences intelligence. Game is great.

Top Bottom