• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

coldone

Dude, what would they have had for the system's launch then?

Sure, the game was clearly rushed, but they had no choice. They needed games.

Should have had the KZ Merc guys do the level design. KZM on Vita is far better levels than KZ-SF. Guerrilla should just become a tech team and supply engine for rest of Sony groups.

BadAss2961

Not being able to find where to go next, basically. Running around in circles in maps that look the exact same with no indication in the level design of where I'm meant to move to.

And I've died around 40 times, I'd say. None to enemy bullets, almost all because I jumped somewhere the game didn't want me to and insta-killed me. Most of those being during the free-base and glide sections.

A good example is the forest level. Died in the river a couple of times because I assumed you could step there / swim. Then died in that bunker near the crash because the level design makes it look like you need to descend the bunker and presumably head down the cliff face. The second you jump down the last level you just die. There's standable ground, but the game says 'nope, sorry, not supposed to jump here' and you die. That kind of thing happened to me in almost every level. It was like the place the game wanted me to go was always the last place I thought of going. That's the definition of bad game design. It's the opposite of Metroid - where you think you're blazing some bizarre unique trail and definitely off the main path, but you're actually being guided by the 'invisible hand' to exactly where they wanted you to go.
I never had any trouble finding where I needed to go. You have the indicator telling you exactly where the objective is for most of the game, and when it's not available, the path is usually pretty straightforward. I also did a lot of exploring and found a decent amount of collectibles for my first playthrough.

So... Level 8 is fucking awesome! Okay, the flying was a bit disorientating because of the horizon bar. But if you hold the brake it's not that hard.
Rest of the level is great imo. Amazing setting. One of the best levels of the game.

One weird thing: when you're in a cutscene or a part where you can't shoot, you are as big or bigger than the other characters. Then when you can shoot again, you're way smaller..

zedge

That free falling through crumbling buildings and crap was one of the worst levels I have played in a game. Almost gave up in frustration. Simply shameful. Still haven't completely finished. On the last level where you are helgast trying to sneak around and disable alarms and get the sniper rifle. Ugh.if I wanted metal gear or splinter cell I would play those..

TEH-CJ

Banned
Just finished the SP. lol at the hate, people really have no clue. This was a solid slow paced stealthy FPS. The ending was very well done.

Echo was awesome. If there's another Shadow Fall type Killzone, she should obviously be the face of it. Hell, she should probably be the main character even if it's KZ4.

"This was a solid slow paced stealthy FPS"

Yup that's what I love about Killzone....

krioto

I'm not sure were all playing the same game. I'm loving the SP, on my third play through now. It looks gorgeous, the setting is great and the gunplay fantastic. It is different to other kill zone games in that you play as a sort of special agent rather than an army grunt, but I liking the slower exploration an intense bursts of action.

fuenf

I just finished it and I'm loving it too. Easily the best fps I've played on consoles in years. I can see how the game might frustrate people or how you could get stuck, but somehow I never had any trouble finding the next objective. I always knew intuitively where to go or what to do. I enjoyed the story and thought that the characters were awesome.

It's easily the best Killone yet while somehow still staying true to its roots. I really hope that there'll be a sequel that continues right where the game left off.

BadAss2961

Especially when the stealth is so unbelievably terrible.
While the game is built to be played cautiously, you shouldn't expect to completely stealth through most segments. It's more like Uncharted stealth where you kill who you can before you eventually get spotted and have to clean out the rest. Once in combat, it's all about the owl in combination with your shooting, and adrenaline packs either when you need it or when strategically clearing out a corridor of enemies.

Kssio_Aug

Im enjoying the single player, but when I open Killzone app, I just cant stop feeling tempted to play its multiplayer! Im loving it!! *-*

These days Im just playing Killzone MP and Knack. :)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
While the game is built to be played cautiously, you shouldn't expect to completely stealth through most segments. It's more like Uncharted stealth where you kill who you can before you eventually get spotted and have to clean out the rest. Once in combat, it's all about the owl in combination with your shooting, and adrenaline packs either when you need it or when strategically clearing out a corridor of enemies.

I think this sums up why I like the game so much and others don't. This is my typical play style and I love to be able to mix it up, especially in FPS. A lot of people seem to want all out stealth or gung-ho combat and this game doesn't do either of those things singularly often.

Killzone was the best selling launch exclusive on any platform (270K in US). Congrats to Guerrilla Games. It even managed to sell around what Killzone 2 and 3 did on a much smaller userbase.

It's also my favorite launch exclusive easily, the SP is great and the MP is fan-fucking-tastic.

They really need to fix the lack of voice chat and improve the UI, because it's a shame the online numbers aren't a lot higher than they are now.

The free weekend should help too, I hope...

Oh, and new maps for the start of the new year would be great too....

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Killzone was the best selling launch exclusive on any platform (270K in US). Congrats to Guerrilla Games. It even managed to sell around what Killzone 2 and 3 did on a much smaller userbase.

It's also my favorite launch exclusive easily, the SP is great and the MP is fan-fucking-tastic.

They really need to fix the lack of voice chat and improve the UI, because it's a shame the online numbers aren't a lot higher than they are now.

The free weekend should help too, I hope...

Oh, and new maps for the start of the new year would be great too....

270k is damn good. That's an almost 25% attach rate.

Yes I don't even think you can truly stealth much of the game. Lot of spots pretty much force combat, or at best you can stealth sneak past an area avoiding a fight. The comparison to uncharted is pretty spot on, stealth is an option in spots, but its not a stealth game in the slightest.

Chapter 10?

All you have to do is stay cloaked and keep your distance. Don't move to fast, shoot, or walk in puddles. It's really easy and can be done in less than a minute. Your cloak is infinite unless you turn it off or fire.

cloak?! I beat the game yesterday and had no idea there was a cloak! lol
Fuck that game. Thanks BB for giving me 40 bucks back

Bebpo

Banned
I kind of wonder if there's a common thread where people who aren't really into FPS games are giving this game a chance since it's a launch title and hating it. Whereas people who play FPS games and their extremely-low-bar campaigns are enjoying it or not so bothered.

I'm not so much of an FPS player (grew up on the genre, but bailed out around MW1 when everything became generic military shooters) and KZ:SF was the first FPS I'd played in a year or two and I absolutely hated it.

wizzbang

Banned
What the fuck, is the checkpointing and save system fucked in this game or something? Christ almighty I'm not pleased.

I just fired my game back up and it's started me at the ledge about 1 minute after you get the Owl (it's a very high ledge and you drop down on 2 dudes, from there a cinematic jet flies past)

I had gotten 90 minutes further, I'd found the crash site, found the 3 dudes, was on my way to set off the explosives for the AA guns, FFS - considering I'm playing in hard mode, nearly 2 hours of gameplay has disapeared, what the fuck?

leng jai

What the fuck, is the checkpointing and save system fucked in this game or something? Christ almighty I'm not pleased.

I just fired my game back up and it's started me at the ledge about 1 minute after you get the Owl (it's a very high ledge and you drop down on 2 dudes, from there a cinematic jet flies past)

I had gotten 90 minutes further, I'd found the crash site, found the 3 dudes, was on my way to set off the explosives for the AA guns, FFS - considering I'm playing in hard mode, nearly 2 hours of gameplay has disapeared, what the fuck?

It doesn't save mid level.

BadAss2961

FML. ha
guess it was not necessary
lol, and then people hate the game. Without cloak you must've just blasted your way through, making the ending much less cool.

Chapter 10 is one level that can and should be done with 100% stealth. Play it right and you'll never get spotted.

Gator86

I kind of wonder if there's a common thread where people who aren't really into FPS games are giving this game a chance since it's a launch title and hating it. Whereas people who play FPS games and their extremely-low-bar campaigns are enjoying it or not so bothered.

I'm not so much of an FPS player (grew up on the genre, but bailed out around MW1 when everything became generic military shooters) and KZ:SF was the first FPS I'd played in a year or two and I absolutely hated it.

I'm not sure that accounts for all of it. I've played almost every console FPS of note in the last couple years and couldn't bring myself to finish the SP on Killzone. It was just meh in a way that few games I've played can emulate. So disappointing.

wizzbang

Banned
These kinds of posts..... I don't know how to respond. Is this your first time gaming son?

And the KZ2 fans need to go replay that game. There is nothing resembling huge battles in that game except at the end. They are what you would consider 20v5 battles or around there in CQC mostly. I replayed it recently and some people are clearly being guided by nostalgia. I liked the game on replay but it didn't blow my mind at all and was quite dated graphically.

truly, though I don't suspect that they are actually Killzone fans and just use that "but I liked KZ2" as a smoke screen to justify the shitty baseless opinions, kinda like the I'm not racist I have a black friend

I don't know what the fuck you two are talking about, I've played KZ2 3 times and I can assure you that it's got many, many big battles in it. Seriously I .. I... .... ? what?
(That is not however to say I dislike SF for any reason, I'm still early in the game, deliberately playing in hard, so far it's good, except for fucking dumb checkpointing)

wizzbang

Banned
It doesn't save mid level.

It fucking checkpointed it :/ I was respawning at the top of the hill above the crashed ship, how do I save it? This is fuckkkkkkkkkkkked. Like at least 90 minutes of work for fucks sake. I need "suspend game" pretty bad I think

I just finished chapter 7 (post patch) so the free fall was fine, passed it on my first try.

The game is definitely rough around the edges in many spots, but I think that's because the game doesn't do a good job of guiding players in how to use the owl for various situations. Now that I'm using the OWL often the game is way more fun, so I'm actually looking forward to play early levels using the OWL.

Seems to be general consensus, the second time round is more enjoyable.
One actualy knows what one is doing. ;)

First time playing the open Woodland level (Chapter 2) - WTF am I doing? What does an alarm look like why do none of my buttons do anything with it. Where are all these enemies coming from. Momy! xD

BadAss2961

Seems to be general consensus, the second time round is more enjoyable.
One actualy knows what one is doing. ;)

First time playing the open Woodland level (Chapter 2) - WTF am I doing? What does an alarm look like why do none of my buttons do anything with it. Where are all these enemies coming from. Momy! xD
Definitely an odd choice to start the campaign with the most complex level in the game.

Well... that may have been the worst single player game I've ever played to completion. Guerrilla has a lot of technical and artistic talent, can sony get some new directors in there so that it's correctly leveraged?

I've liked multiplayer so far, but haven't played it in like three weeks due to finals. This game feels rushed, but a lot of the problems aren't really technical, they're design flaws. Is time the true limiting factor there?

Well... that may have been the worst single player game I've ever played to completion. Guerrilla has a lot of technical and artistic talent, can sony get some new directors in there so that it's correctly leveraged?

I've liked multiplayer so far, but haven't played it in like three weeks due to finals. This game feels rushed, but a lot of the problems aren't really technical, they're design flaws. Is time the true limiting factor there?

You must be lucky to only have played high qualitiy games, I've played considerably worse.
The Story is next level bonkers and the dialog is beyond cheesy but imho the game is solid. Biggest complaint i have is that it was difficult to get to grips with the mechanics at the begining and the map layout can be very confusing.

And MP is awesome!

You must be lucky to only have played high qualitiy games, I've played considerably worse.
The Story is next level bonkers and the dialog is beyond cheesy but imho the game is solid. Biggest complaint i have is that it was difficult to get to grips with the mechanics at the begining and the map layout can be very confusing.

And MP is awesome!

I beat the bouncer.

THE BOUNCER!

filopilo

Well... that may have been the worst single player game I've ever played to completion.

Now go play BF4 and COD:ghost SP campaigns , and see how much worse it can get.

The free pass for these two is really amazing because KZ:SF played in hard is mostly fantastic compared to BF4 and COD:Ghost.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Man I'm getting Bioshock Infinite syndrome with this game. Walk straight up to someone and you're looking at their chest. I guess Lucas is a midget like Booker Dewitt.

I beat the bouncer.

THE BOUNCER!

You thought the bouncer was a better game? wtf...or did you just use that as an example of a bad game you've beaten? haha

The free pass for these two is really amazing because KZ:SF played in hard is mostly fantastic compared to BF4 and COD:Ghost.

i don't think those have gotten free passes. bf3-4 have gotten shat on in reviews for campaign. cod campaigns are usually love or hate like michael bay movies.

In the interest of full disclosure, very few pure fps campaigns have ever been compelling to me. So I definitely hear you on certain games getting passes. Even more funny when they get a pass on single player and then have a crash prone multiplayer experience.

You thought the bouncer was a better game? wtf...or did you just use that as an example of a bad game you've beaten? haha

Single player to single player, I got much more enjoyment out of playing the bouncer. Only enjoyment I got out of Shadowfall's single player is probably the forest level, the rest of it felt like a slog through mediocrity.

RedAssedApe

Banned
In the interest of full disclosure, very few pure fps campaigns have ever been compelling to me. So I definitely hear you on certain games getting passes. Even more funny when they get a pass on single player and then have a crash prone multiplayer experience.

Single player to single player, I got much more enjoyment out of playing the bouncer. Only enjoyment I got out of Shadowfall's single player is probably the forest level, the rest of it felt like a slog through mediocrity.

well i guess that explains it. still weird to me that out of all the games you picked the bouncer. wish the bouncer had been like the original tech demo they showed.

Worst ever seems a bit harsh, there are a lot of pretty bad games out there and KZ:SF has some pretty good moments in it in addition to all the bad moments. But GG does have a habit of some messed up design decisions in their games though. They build a really solid base, design some good levels, then it's like they lose focus and start throwing in stupid stuff like endlessly respawning enemies and instakill scenarios that require you to memorize what's going to happen. I don't think time is the only factor, there's no indication that Mercenary was rushed but it had the same issues. Which is too bad because it was really good up until the end when they start throwing that kind of stuff at you.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I've had suspicions of this as well. Killzone is a series more for dedicated FPS fans than anyone else and people thinking the game is really bad through and through haven't seen what a bad FPS campaign actually is.

The game divides each chapter into sections, usually after a major objective, cutscene, or location change, and it only saves progress there. Unfortunately the game never makes clear what a section break is. That and the lack of VOIP in MP are the two weirdest decisions this game has and I hope they patch both of them.

Bebpo

Banned
I beat the bouncer.

THE BOUNCER!

Bouncer was pretty fun, not sure why everyone hates it. Insane graphics for the time and decent, but a bit shallow beat-em-up meets jrpg cutscenes. Liked it for a launch era title, or maybe the graphics were just so jaw-dropping it made me overlook everything else about the title.

Well, after having played the entire game now, i have to strongly disagree that the game gets worse towards the end. Especially chapter 8 was great imo. I thought the freefalling controls were not good, but with braking it should be doable within a few tries. The rest of that level was pure awesomesaus.

If anything, i think there were a couple of missed oportunities in het middel part of the game. The Helghast side of town could have been far more immersive. Those levels were a bit forgettable even. With some good parts in there.

Asside from Echo, the characters could be better done.

I especially liked the levels where you were given an objective and you could find your own way of doing it. Forrest level, hostage level and level 8 were the best for me.

This is in no way a game that i would give a 5....

wizzbang

Banned
Ok I seriously need to know the answer to this spoiler regarding chapter 3, please.

Are there any
"monsters" on this level? I fucking hate surprise bullshit scary stuff, I hate monsters, etc
there's a good reason I don't
watch scary films or play scary games, they are not for me
I'm getting a disctinct kind of
dead space vibe from this level so far

Great credit to them for pulling that kind of feeling off but that's not at ALL why I play Killzone.

Ok I seriously need to know the answer to this spoiler regarding chapter 3, please.

Are there any
"monsters" on this level? I fucking hate surprise bullshit scary stuff, I hate monsters, etc
there's a good reason I don't
watch scary films or play scary games, they are not for me
I'm getting a disctinct kind of
dead space vibe from this level so far

Great credit to them for pulling that kind of feeling off but that's not at ALL why I play Killzone.

Nope, no monsters, nothing scary or spooky, just the darkness and atmosphere, no jumping out of the closet moments.

It felt like the Ishimura to me too. btw. :)

Top Bottom