• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Ok I seriously need to know the answer to this spoiler regarding chapter 3, please.

Are there any
"monsters" on this level? I fucking hate surprise bullshit scary stuff, I hate monsters, etc
there's a good reason I don't
watch scary films or play scary games, they are not for me
I'm getting a disctinct kind of
dead space vibe from this level so far

Great credit to them for pulling that kind of feeling off but that's not at ALL why I play Killzone.

Don't worry. No monsters

wizzbang

Banned
Nope, no monsters, nothing scary or spooky, just the darkness and atmosphere, no jumping out of the closet moments.

It felt like the Ishimura to me too. btw. :)

God thank you so much, I can now put the volume back on and re-concerntrate / get absorbed into the atmosphere. The tension I lost by 'ruining' this spoiler is well made up for the lack of stress.
Ta!

SJRB

Gold Member
God thank you so much, I can now put the volume back on and re-concerntrate / get absorbed into the atmosphere. The tension I lost by 'ruining' this spoiler is well made up for the lack of stress.
Ta!

The atmosphere in that level is so amazing, I loved it.

The atmosphere in that level is so amazing, I loved it.
I liked the atmosphere in that level too, but is it me or is the lighting not really impressive compared to, say, Dead Space? It just seemed flat in most parts; some areas were just dark, with no real distinction between shadows and light. There should have been a flashlight mod on the gun or something; something to show off some lighting eye candy. Sending the OWL out produced some nice effects, but that was about it.

leng jai

Why do people keep saying the COD and BF campaigns were given free passes? It's like they're desperate to make it sound like KZ4 has been singled out and victimised. It's not - all the campaigns have gotten their share of shit. KZ4 is given endless praise for its multiplayer because its good. There's no hidden agenda against it.

The problem with KZ4 is, if you don't like what it's trying to do the game is simply boring. That's why so many people say they can't even be bothered finishing it despite the insane graphics. With BF4 the campaign might be terrible but at least you can enjoy it as dumb fun on some level. The graphics are great, the shootouts with its gunplay are still decently fun and the set pieces at least let you enjoy the sound design. In KZ4 if you don't like it all you're basically doing is walking around and not doing much half the time. The fights don't exemplify the gunplay or the audio - it just becomes bland.

The fights don' exemplify the gunplay or the audio - it just becomes bland.
They do, but you're not likely to feel the groove of them the first time through, or hell maybe even the second.

Its a game that needed more iteration and needed more outside perspective. But in replaying the campaign and exploring different options I am enjoying it, and finding new things every time I retry a mission. I'm talking alternate avenues of approach, stealth paths, more ways to use the environment and new ways to use tactics plus abilities to solve each scenario. There's more there than you get on a single runthrough.

I personally like that as I prefer campaigns I can replay (a rarity since linear cinematic games play out the same each time), but for somebody doing a single stint I can understand the negativity.

leng jai

They do, but you're not likely to feel the groove of them the first time through, or hell maybe even the second.

Its a game that needed more iteration and needed more outside perspective. But in replaying the campaign and exploring different options I am enjoying it, and finding new things every time I retry a mission. There's more there than you get on a single runthrough.

I personally like that as I prefer campaigns I can replay, but for somebody doing a single stint I can understand the negativity.

I can see it being better on a second play through but at the same time I can see it being terrible for some people no matter how many times they play it. It's not a very good idea to design a shooter campaign where it requires more than one play through to really "get". It should do a better job of conveying it in the first place because lets face it - how many play people replay single player shooter campaigns especially if they didn't like it?

Anyone received the soundtrack yet with the shadow pack? I received the other perks of it. Im currently enjoying KZ, Had it on the back burner as was too busy playing B4......I love how the audio logs play out of the pad, As for the game itself it was tough getting to grips with it but now iv'e adjusted the game is pretty cool.

It's not a very good idea to design a shooter campaign where it requires more than one play through to really "get". It should do a better job of conveying it in the first place because lets face it - how many play people replay single player shooter campaigns especially if they didn't like it?
Haha, you're absolutely right and its definitely not a good idea to design a game that way.

That's what I mean by iteration though. I think they would have smoothed the harsher edges out a bit with more time and more outside perspectives. The game feels like something made in a sort of vacuum, where the major guidance was coming from people who were too close to it and couldn't see how the game would be perceived for somebody going through it for the first time. The non-linear objectives, the lack of training in game mechanics, the need to rely upon the objective waypoints too much. That or they were just too rushed to make the necessary changes.

highrider

Banned

Its a game that needed more iteration and needed more outside perspective. But in replaying the campaign and exploring different options I am enjoying it, and finding new things every time I retry a mission. I'm talking alternate avenues of approach, stealth paths, more ways to use the environment and new ways to use tactics plus abilities to solve each scenario. There's more there than you get on a single runthrough.

I personally like that as I prefer campaigns I can replay (a rarity since linear cinematic games play out the same each time), but for somebody doing a single stint I can understand the negativity.

I'm almost finished my run on hard and I've really come to appreciate the combat in this game. I love planning attacks and using adrenaline to take out a group of guys. In some ways it's an fps splinter cell with set pieces and larger battles.

Killzone may have a greater degree of scrutiny being exclusive, but the people that don't like the game aren't disingenuous to me. Pacing is another thing in this game that could turn people off. It's not a full blast game so to speak but it has epic visual stuff. It's all over the place!

IvorB

I liked the atmosphere in that level too, but is it me or is the lighting not really impressive compared to, say, Dead Space? It just seemed flat in most parts; some areas were just dark, with no real distinction between shadows and light. There should have been a flashlight mod on the gun or something; something to show off some lighting eye candy. Sending the OWL out produced some nice effects, but that was about it.

God no. The lighting is amazing. Check your settings, bro. The lighting is getting us every time.

IvorB

I'm almost finished my run on hard and I've really come to appreciate the combat in this game. I love planning attacks and using adrenaline to take out a group of guys. In some ways it's an fps splinter cell with set pieces and larger battles.

Killzone may have a greater degree of scrutiny being exclusive, but the people that don't like the game aren't disingenuous to me. Pacing is another thing in this game that could turn people off. It's not a full blast game so to speak but it has epic visual stuff. It's all over the place!

I played on hard straight off the bat and it's pretty great to be honest. It was brutal dying repeatedly in the beginning but once we adjusted it was great. I can see why people playing on an easier difficulty might find it boring but on hard you really have to play properly. You have to plan, to use strategy, use your abilities and stealth when you can. Calling it a Splinter Cell is maybe taking it too far but it is quite tactical.

lifa-cobex

Just finnished.
Final level was more interesting but in general it was a snooze fest.

KZ2 is still remaining my fav. Think I enjoy the war scenarios instead of the one man kill fest.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why do people keep saying the COD and BF campaigns were given free passes? It's like they're desperate to make it sound like KZ4 has been singled out and victimised. It's not - all the campaigns have gotten their share of shit. KZ4 is given endless praise for its multiplayer because its good. There's no hidden agenda against it.

The problem with KZ4 is, if you don't like what it's trying to do the game is simply boring. That's why so many people say they can't even be bothered finishing it despite the insane graphics. With BF4 the campaign might be terrible but at least you can enjoy it as dumb fun on some level. The graphics are great, the shootouts with its gunplay are still decently fun and the set pieces at least let you enjoy the sound design. In KZ4 if you don't like it all you're basically doing is walking around and not doing much half the time. The fights don't exemplify the gunplay or the audio - it just becomes bland.

Length is also something to consider here. Shadow Fall is about four times as long as BF4. Even though I liked the game overall, it could have done with some editing and better pacing.

PLEASE tell me this game gets better. Just slogged through the second mission...horrible level design. I'm not one for hand holding, but this game does a pretty terrible job at letting you know where the hell to go and what to do. Not to mention the horrendous AI.

This game just seems so ..half baked. Its technically beautiful, and the gameplay mechanics are solid (for the most part), but it has an overall rushed/unfinished vibe. A few more months in the oven and this could have been a 9/10 rather then a 6/10 IMHO.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet but hoping it redeems the experience otherwise I'll trade this puppy in while it's still worth something

BadAss2961

It's one thing to not feel the campaign, but I strongly disagree with people criticizing the actual quality and design overall. These levels are downright gorgeous, also intricate for a FPS. The soundtrack is pretty good. The shooting is solid (not godlike like KZ2), and the owl is a fresh idea that really works. There was clearly more thought and effort put into it than the campaign's you'll find in CoD and especially BF (CoD is a ridiculous but fun ride, BF is just awful SP.)

Although it won't appeal to the masses, Shadow Fall SP is of very high quality and offers around 15 hours of content or more.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Robot Pants

Hard on this SP campaign is so much better.
Also how bad the campaign is is getting blown WAY out of proportion. It's not bad at all. Nothing amazing, but bad? Come on now.

TyrantII

PLEASE tell me this game gets better. Just slogged through the second mission...horrible level design. I'm not one for hand holding, but this game does a pretty terrible job at letting you know where the hell to go and what to do. Not to mention the horrendous AI.

This game just seems so ..half baked. Its technically beautiful, and the gameplay mechanics are solid (for the most part), but it has an overall rushed/unfinished vibe. A few more months in the oven and this could have been a 9/10 rather then a 6/10 IMHO.

Haven't tried multiplayer yet but hoping it redeems the experience otherwise I'll trade this puppy in while it's still worth something

Compared to what?..

Need to ask because I keep wondering if were playing the same game from some comments in this thread...

LOl, I played some levels again and as it turns out i must have missed an entire level because i was too stoned and drunk at the time i played it with a friend...
The part from the hostages level to the torture segement is a really great part (pretty big part too, mid chapter 4 till end chapter 5). Glad i played it now. Such a great atmosphere in the helghast side of town!!

Sorry but this game really has great levels. Also some mediocre levels but damn, it's a shame to miss out on some of the better levels.

To me the SP is an 8 now. But with the sidenote that there are some really weird decisions here and there and room for improvement. But they created soooooo much from scratch and i'm thankfull i got to play this on launch.

f@luS

More than a member.
I may be crazy but for me now the sp is amazingly solid. I'm halfway chapter 5 and oh god the chapter 4 was such a blast

Muffdraul

It was the most preordered next gen exclusive game. It did fairly well.

I honestly can't think of a better Playstation launch title since the console's NA debut in 1995. Not saying much, Playstation has a long history of very meh launch titles...

I liked the SP campaign a lot. It's not as good as Killzone 2, and maybe the only thing that makes it better then Killzone 3 is that it so much longer... but it's a damn solid launch title. Fuck all ya'll haterz.

ron_bato

Just finished, and I enjoyed it. Didn't feel like I had to force my way through it, but also felt frustrated at some bad design issues at certain points of the game. Level design and pacing got in the way of the game at times, but I had fun. Gameplay was good, the atmosphere was great, so was the audio and voice-acting, also weird AI glitches at times (Helghast would look at me for a good 2 seconds and I'd just stand there and nothing would happen til i actually moved lol). But overall, I enjoyed this campaign. I don't play FPS campaigns very often, but this one held my interest.

Compared to what?..

Need to ask because I keep wondering if were playing the same game from some comments in this thread...

Just played the third mission - the bullshit reactor puzzle pops into my mind as poor game design. It's drawn out, boring and frustrating.

This game needed a competent director.

BadAss2961

credits rolled. In my head its done. Couldn't hit eject fast enough
LwCa2cH.gif

Derrick01

Banned
credits rolled. In my head its done. Couldn't hit eject fast enough

I'm quickly reaching that point, don't know if I can even finish the game with how each level is getting progressively worse. Regardless if I do or not it's getting sent to gamestop for $40 within the next few days. I'm shocked at how bad this game got after the first pretty decent level.

edit: Yup fuck these endless waves of enemies on this "survive and defend" part. I'm done. It takes a rare breed of terrible to stop me from even finishing a game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
LOl, I played some levels again and as it turns out i must have missed an entire level because i was too stoned and drunk at the time i played it with a friend...
The part from the hostages level to the torture segement is a really great part (pretty big part too, mid chapter 4 till end chapter 5). Glad i played it now. Such a great atmosphere in the helghast side of town!!

Sorry but this game really has great levels. Also some mediocre levels but damn, it's a shame to miss out on some of the better levels.

To me the SP is an 8 now. But with the sidenote that there are some really weird decisions here and there and room for improvement. But they created soooooo much from scratch and i'm thankfull i got to play this on launch.
Sums up my feelings pretty well. There are some head scratching decisions and some lame levels but the good parts were so good and scratched an itch I had for FPS that I really liked the game overall, which is kind of how I feel overall about the series. The things it does well are parts of my commandments for FPS and the things it does poorly are things I kind of expect to suck in an FPS so I don't mind. Huge step up from KZ3 overall but not on KZ2's level.

I'm quickly reaching that point, don't know if I can even finish the game with how each level is getting progressively worse. Regardless if I do or not it's getting sent to gamestop for $40 within the next few days. I'm shocked at how bad this game got after the first pretty decent level.

edit: Yup fuck these endless waves of enemies on this "survive and defend" part. I'm done. It takes a rare breed of terrible to stop me from even finishing a game.
Chapter 7?

I would help you through it, you can easily do it without taking damage, but the part after that is what I consider the bad part of the game. If you haven't enjoyed it yet, stopping is probably the best bet.

Griss

What the fuck, is the checkpointing and save system fucked in this game or something? Christ almighty I'm not pleased.

I just fired my game back up and it's started me at the ledge about 1 minute after you get the Owl (it's a very high ledge and you drop down on 2 dudes, from there a cinematic jet flies past)

I had gotten 90 minutes further, I'd found the crash site, found the 3 dudes, was on my way to set off the explosives for the AA guns, FFS - considering I'm playing in hard mode, nearly 2 hours of gameplay has disapeared, what the fuck?

The exact same thing happened to me. The game is ass.

So what the hell is going on at the end of Chapter 7????? Tons of baddies rolling on me from across a giant room. Clearly I'm missing something. I've grabbed the big gun with the short bursts. Trying to take out enemies but they just overwhelm me and my crew. Is there a more powerful weapon I'm missing? Is there a better defensive position I'm missing? Even with two adrenaline packs I cannot outlast these guys. I'm playing on easy. WTF?

I think now that I'm 75% through I can safely say the game is quite mediocre. Loved the forest level but nothing else has come close since. Would love to power through and finish it but it doesn't seem worth the frustration. I mean, it's not like the story is going to have a pay off. It's barely coherent to this point.

Once the wow factor of the graphics wears off I don't think this game will be looked back on fondly at all.

Derrick01

Banned
So what the hell is going on at the end of Chapter 7????? Tons of baddies rolling on me from across a giant room. Clearly I'm missing something. I've grabbed the big gun with the short bursts. Trying to take out enemies but they just overwhelm me and my crew. Is there a more powerful weapon I'm missing? Is there a better defensive position I'm missing? Even with two adrenaline packs I cannot outlast these guys. I'm playing on easy. WTF?

I think now that I'm 75% through I can safely say the game is quite mediocre. Loved the forest level but nothing else has come close since. Would love to power through and finish it but it doesn't seem worth the frustration. I mean, it's not like the story is going to have a pay off. It's barely coherent to this point.

Once the wow factor of the graphics wears off I don't think this game will be looked back on fondly at all.

That's the exact point this game broke my patience. I was using that big gun too but they just coming and eventually overwhelmed me, and on Hard difficulty you die fast. There's probably something we're missing but honestly I don't care anymore, the game is so poorly designed after that first level in the forest and the story is soooo bad that I don't even want to finish it.

Toss out a bunch of the laser trip mine bombs onto any paths the enemy might climb up makes a big difference. The big charge up rocket launcher thing is also good to pick out the tough bad guys like the shielded ones from a distance leaving the easy to kill guys. Keep your owl handy and ready for the shielded assault troopers and have it shock the shield off. If you get overwhelmed just retreat behind the room you start in to recharge your health while your owl protects you. It's not that tough I thought, there is a harder area later down the line coming your way though lol

Also make sure your listening to the dialogue as folks have played through this level and never heard or noticed that a giant shit cockpit is available to jump into that lets you murder fools with once you survive long enough.

And seriously adrenal packs make the game so easy, even if your getting owned, pop an adrenal and go straight into ADS mode for the slow mo effect. You can usually just take out whole rooms of enemies using this and makes so much of the game a breeze.

You can't let them spread out and set up shields. The burst explosive weapon should be able to take 2-3 out at a time if you get them coming out of the doors in the back. I didn't even lay out mines. It lets them get too spread out as it eats up time. Drop a shield from your owl and just start spraying. There are multiple guns in the rack so when you run out of ammo grab another. Owl shield is key here and again, so is getting on them fast. The burst explosive weapon even takes out force field enemies.

Also ... There comes a point in time when the mission changes and your supposed to bail out. I died so many times before I realized that.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

That's the exact point this game broke my patience. I was using that big gun too but they just coming and eventually overwhelmed me, and on Hard difficulty you die fast. There's probably something we're missing but honestly I don't care anymore, the game is so poorly designed after that first level in the forest and the story is soooo bad that I don't even want to finish it.

i had the same issue. i played it on hard and flipped the hell out.

it's time based. basically you have to wait for a turret to reach you from acoss the room. it's tracked/on your tracker during the battle the whole time, but the dot is small amidst the chaos. you can see it coming above where the soldiers are rushing

Satchel

Banned
Ok Derrick took my thunder a bit.

I was just about to say I'm not minding this game but I've only just done the forest level, so chapter 2.

All downhill from here?

MP is a tad meh. Which is unfortunate.

Beat it. Thanks for the tips.

I did not hear the dialog about the turret. That was the big thing I was missing. I was taking out several at a time with the burst gun. And yeah I never even knew there were trip mines available. Don't think I've seen those anywhere else in the game? If that's on easy I'm not sure I'd ever be able to make it on hard.

After all that I made it thought the free fall in Chapter 8 on the third try. Not that hard.

But now I'm on the surface and everything is crumbling ....... Uuuuuuhhhhh I thought Massar's weapon was a biological weapon? What in the hell is going on with the narrative in this game? It's truly like they worked on 10 different games that were stitched together and labeled as chapters. Good god. Can Sony send a couple of janitors or interns from Naughty Dog over to GG to write the story for the next KZ game?

Just finished that part on my hard playthrough and it's a whole hell of a lot easier when you know what to do. I just used the electrical burst gun and took out packs of them with each charge. When I ran out I grabbed another one off the rack. There were three.

I'm not even sure if I even got more than a few random potshots my way, and this was all from firing from that main walkway where they start you.

Then once the ship is hacked you use the main guns to take down any drones as well as any troops that may have gotten up close on your flanks.

That sure as hell doesn't excuse the game being so downright backwards at times, and for throwing you into a meatgrinder with very few satisfactory ways out, but I was seriously surprised that I was able to blow through it without taking a scratch.

BadAss2961

For the chapter 7 ambush, there's a heavy stun weapon that takes out shields in one shot -- use that. After taking out all the shields, go to the back of the building and use it for cover. Send the owl right into the Helghast area every chance you get to distract them. Scan often so you can so see where enemies are coming from as well as tell which ones are basic and which ones need to be stunned.

Hold out for as long as you can before the gun turret becomes available. Use an adrenaline pack to get there if you need to. You should get a checkpoint once inside.

Cubed

Beat it. Thanks for the tips.

I did not hear the dialog about the turret. That was the big thing I was missing. I was taking out several at a time with the burst gun. And yeah I never even knew there were trip mines available. Don't think I've seen those anywhere else in the game? If that's on easy I'm not sure I'd ever be able to make it on hard.

After all that I made it thought the free fall in Chapter 8 on the third try. Not that hard.

But now I'm on the surface and everything is crumbling ....... Uuuuuuhhhhh I thought Massar's weapon was a biological weapon? What in the hell is going on with the narrative in this game? It's truly like they worked on 10 different games that were stitched together and labeled as chapters. Good god. Can Sony send a couple of janitors or interns from Naughty Dog over to GG to write the story for the next KZ game?

That's not Massar's weapon. That's what's left of Helghan after KZ3.

I still don't know what people have against the story. It's abrupt and choppy, but it all makes perfect sense.

Elvick

Banned
That's not Massar's weapon. That's what's left of Helghan after KZ3.

I still don't know what people have against the story. It's abrupt and choppy, but it all makes perfect sense.
I don't know what people have against the game in general.

I mean, not liking it? Sure, I get it. Thinking it's terrible? Nope, don't get it.

Whatever. I guess they should have just made a linear FPS, where "stealth" is just going through the same corridors as "action" but trying to not be seen. 9/10

Derrick01

Banned
Whatever. I guess they should have just made a linear FPS, where "stealth" is just going through the same corridors as "action" but trying to not be seen. 9/10

That's exactly what this game is in the majority of levels though. There's only a couple of real open levels up to the end of chapter 7.

leng jai

I don't know what people have against the game in general.

I mean, not liking it? Sure, I get it. Thinking it's terrible? Nope, don't get it.

That's essentially what KZ4 was a lot of the time in the earlier chapters.

Griss

Just beat the last level,
Chapter 10 - Playing as Echo
, and my god, that level was the last little squirt of runny diarrhoea on top of the shit sundae. Must have taken me around 20 tries, eventually I just brute forced it.

At least I got a massive laugh out of the credits. That music... it's like they believe they made a masterpiece, rather than the new Perfect Dark Zero.

I've already put an ad up online to sell this game. Get it the hell out my house!

Top Bottom