• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Review Thread

And, y'know, maybe some 15-year-old will play this and Shadow Fall's 'the enemies are human beings just like us' shtick will give them pause. But this game's being aimed squarely at would-be PS4 owners, adults who have lived and played through that kind of revelation in other, better games and entertainments.

Who writes like that?
Gaming journalists.

Radec

Killzone games have never really scored very well. But I've enjoyed every single one of them. The secret to enjoying killzone (for me anyway) is ramping up the difficulty. It totally transforms the single player.

Can't wait to play this based on these scores.

Killzone 2 averaged at 91 metacritic., (KZ3 with 84)

Guess I'm glad I didn't buy into the hype and preorder a Ps4. It was hard to resist but I knew I could just play all the multiplats on pc/Ps3 and the exlcusives weren't looking too hot. Once the right deal comes across I'll grab one, for now it looks like I'm not missing much.

Game certainly is an eye-candy though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I feel like Guerrilla Games need to be allowed to let their creative juices flow more. Their ability to create visually stunning games is some of the best in the business, but as a series Killzone has been riddled with mediocrity throughout. Would love to see them do something different next.

They've been working on a new IP for a while that's very different from Killzone. Rumored to be an RPG.

SiRatul

I really hope the multiplayer is good like the KZ2 one was and it's actually more enjoyable than the reviews suggest. Good that I'm "only" paying 45€ for it.

IcyEyes

I love all that people who said :

It's a meh game (based on a couple of negative scores)
I called it ! (always based on a couple of score)
I regret to buy it ! (again based on a couple of score)

You guys are incredible !

So ...
Destructoid 9 vs Polygons 5

hmm

Ps 5 is a joke score. Really.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why do you guys make such a big scene out of this stuff? It always makes gamers online look so bad. Wait until you play the game and then you can deconstruct the reviews point by point. Hysterical screaming is so wasteful.

Jonboy

The reviewers I trust the most have all reviewed it 8 or better. Happy with my preorder and still can't wait for the game.

nib95

Banned
Do any of the reviews delve very deep in to the multiplayer? For me the MP has always been the bread and butter for this franchise, at least with KZ2 anyway.

Crisco

Banned
I mean, other than a few outliers the scores seem fine. Never expected 10s for this. How are the multiplayer impressions?

Shtof

As usual, on GAF we make our own rules. And a 5/10 to Killzone SF is not acceptable. And it's Polygon. So then the lowest score is 7/10. Which is not so bad. And Kotaku don't exist.

Please forward this to Metacritic, because sadly I care about metascores when I shouldn't.

x-Lundz-x

Exactly! I'm going back to the OP and then to the comments again, and it's like two different realities.

The game is getting 7-9 from big sites, and most comments sound like "oh well, crappy franchise, expected it to be a failure, ouch".. what?

Just look at the post history said people to answer your question.

I'm looking forward to what Rev3 games and Sess/Tara have to say about the game.

Mocca-Bear

Neo Member
Anyone else get the feeling that some of these reviews are a direct result of the unbelievably huge hype of the console releases?

Launch game reviews can be pretty rough but in my opinion the usual reviews tend to be a little forgiving.

Derrick01

Banned
It doesn't matter what COD or battlefield 4 because almost 100% of people buy those games for thier multiplayer (which lets face it, you can't trust a reviewer to review)

You guys gotta realize your the less than 1% that buys FPS games for the campaign. And I really don't understand why?

This has been proven false. It's been repeatedly stated that almost half of the COD buyers never even touch the multiplayer.

scarybore

6-8 is where I'd put the previous Killzone games I've played so I'm fine with that and won't be cancelling my pre-order or anything. It is a shame that it seems Guerrilla hasn't been able to elevate Killzone to new heights though, it's a series that's never really made its mark on the FPS genre despite numerous attempts.

jet1911

Wow at all the butt hurt in this thread. At least it's not at the "Uncharted 3 got an 8 from Eurogamer" level of butthurt... yet.

I'll receive the game today, it'll be a long wait until friday!

Raist

Banned
The "it's the same old shit" comments are interesting, considering there's cleary some level of change in gameplay design compared to previous iterations, and they don't seem to come up for BF4/CoDG.

I'm more concerned with the MP tbh

If the single player can be a pretty rollercoaster I'm cool with that. Weird that KZ games tend to get slaughtered for their SP. Doesn't seem to effect other shooting franchises

I love all that people who said :

It's a meh game (based on a couple of negative scores)
I called it ! (always based on a couple of score)
I regret to buy it ! (again based on a couple of score)

You guys are incredible !

So ...
Destructoid 9 vs Polygons 5

hmm

Ps 5 is a joke score. Really.

5+9 = 14/2 = 7

Happy now?

Frolow

Banned
Why do you guys make such a big scene out of this stuff? It always makes gamers online look so bad. Wait until you play the game and then you can deconstruct the reviews point by point. Hysterical screaming is so wasteful.

Because it doesn't align with my opinion!

Seriously though, review topics almost always turn out like this. I wish we didn't have them.

Meanwhile I expected the handling and treatment of the game's theme to be primitive at best, so that's okay by me.

It weird to me that people complain about this when the last two big shooters scored higher when the story is "Latinamerica invades USA" and "Protect Chinese from the Chinese"

IcyEyes

Can't agree more.

People complain when sites give a game a low score and when sites give a game a high score as well. It's either money hats or low balling.

Especially when most people here haven't even played it.

Meh. I usually ignore whoever gives a game the lowest score and whoever gives it the highest score.

Helps get rid of outliers.

Empty

to be fair to gies his review elaborates on a lot of specific criticisms. it's not just mindless dismissal - though i thought the attack on its sense of futility a bit weird.

Attempts at stealth are undermined by enemies’ improbably wide cones of vision. And, despite repeated instances where Shadow Fall’s x-ray sonar ability showed me enemies running in place against walls, they still managed to find every hole and opening to shower me with bullets. Theoretically, you can crouch behind a barrier and hit the left trigger to pop up over it to take shots at Helghast in the distance — but somehow, every piece of cover in the game manages to leave your head exposed to enemy fire.
Death frequently contributes to Shadow Fall’s campaign length. The game has an infuriating, trial-and-error approach to forward progress. The UI is disinterested in suggesting the next objective or mission-critical moment in a variety of circumstances. On one level, locked sections of a research vessel are accessed by picking up fuel rods from elsewhere on the ship and slotting them into place — something Killzone: Shadow Fall never told me.

Some of this is due to questionable art design, as enemies are often incredibly difficult to make out against environments — a problem that also includes basic UI elements like objective markers, which frequently blend into any given scene, regardless of setting or lighting. Playing Killzone: Shadow Fall often felt like translating a foreign language under a hail of gunfire.

Death frequently contributes to Shadow Fall’s campaign length. The game has an infuriating, trial-and-error approach to forward progress. The UI is disinterested in suggesting the next objective or mission-critical moment in a variety of circumstances. On one level, locked sections of a research vessel are accessed by picking up fuel rods from elsewhere on the ship and slotting them into place — something Killzone: Shadow Fall never told me.

the problem is that he's been spending all year dismissing the ps4 and telling people to wait for secret sauce. it's hard to trust his judgment and feel like i'll find those to be problems, especially given how laughable his dead space 3 and mass effect 3 reviews look in retrospect.

maverick40

OH SHIT!!!

0oRQO5e.png

zFfMOIO.gif

guessing the pressure as a launch title and little time to dive into the game gave the critics it is getting
making the maps more open ended made reviewers compare the trilogy to more robust open games like Dues Ex rather then other shooters like COD and BF

Wonder about the A.I scenarios will test it more on launch day

Top Bottom