• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Review Thread

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
5 is an absolutely insane score dripping in agenda.

6 was already a fairly absurd score for Mercenaries earlier this year, but well what can you do.

Always enjoyed the KZ games, never really gotten the blowback on them (other than 3's far too fucked-with MP compared to 2's perfection) when most media outlets dont have the balls to give COD the same treatment in kind.

faberpach

All the people expecting Killzone to be a good game and not just a fantastic graphical showcase was in denial.

Bought a ps3 in preparation of owing a ps4 and the Killzone games are all average.

Games Radar 4 Stars - http://www.gamesradar.com/killzone-shadow-fall-review/

Killzone: Shadow Fall is an excellent way to kick off the eighth console generation. Sure, its characters may not be all that convincing, and its multiplayer is more a well-crafted distraction than a long-term destination, but the game as a whole contains plenty of unexpected surprises that make it worth your time. The open-ended missions, though not as plentiful as you might like, are made even better thanks to the awesome tools at your disposal, and its story has some powerful moments that are sure to catch you off guard. And even when it hits lulls, you'll still have a great time shooting to your heart's content.

Randdalf

I cant understand why Plygon still scores at MetaCritics. The most biased game press EVER!

Says the man with the Killzone avatar.

Sorry, but calling Polygon a joke because "muh exclusive game review score is low" is just laughable. To accuse Polygon of a bias when you obviously have some bias in expecting 7-9 review scores as standard for a big budget, well-marketed, game that you're anticipating is to some extent hypocritical.

nib95

Banned
You have picked the one Killzone game not made by GG, Mercenary was made by SCE Cambridge!

And yet Killzone Mercenary, which was super well received by GAF, has a user score of 9.1 on Metacritic....has an average Metacritic score of 78. That should tell you everything you need to know about reviews, in context more so with the Killzone franchise.

Grisby

You have picked the one Killzone game not made by GG, Mercenary was made by SCE Cambridge!
Isn't the Cambridge studio part of Guerrilla too though? Thought it was.

Edit- Yeah, I haven't had my coffee yet. I figured there would be some cross over or advice from the main team. Good first outing though.

One big issue with professional reviews for games like these is they do a poor job analyzing the multiplayer, either because they were not given enough time, or realistic conditions or few reviewers are multiplayer focused gamers, so the reviews end up being very single player centric.

Though I'm not picking this game up or the console anytime soon, the only aspect that I'd be interested in for Killzone is the multiplayer and to judge that it would take a lot more than a few hours at a review event.

No Love

Banned
Polygon's review/score = irrelevant shit as usual. 5/10? Those guys try way, way too hard. What a bunch of bullshitters.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
same here. this is the specific critique that has me worried I wont get very far in the game. I hate strictly linear corridor shooters and was only excited about KZSF because they opened it up.

but if it's only open for half or less of the campaign. then ehhhhhhh

All the demos of KZ:SF were of the open forest level. Shame the rest of the game lacks that non-linear feel. I enjoyed KZ3 more than KZ2, so SF will be a fun weekend type of game. Wasn't a big fan of KZ2/3 MP, so I'm not expecting much out of SF on that front. As expected, it is another good KZ game that doesn't change much.

Yeah, that's my primary negative takeaway from this - it's too bad that the experience regresses into standard level- and encounter-design fare. I've always thought that Crysis 1 was a great, great vision that other linear shooters should be inspired from, but alas...

Meanwhile I expected the handling and treatment of the game's theme to be primitive at best, so that's okay by me.

It's a critique I had towards Mercenaries too. I like linear shootbangs but I've never really liked Killzone (honestly, I don't think it does the genre all that well). When I played the Mercenaries preview level I was really happy with the more diverse path finding through levels and compartmentalised encounters allowing for stealth. Got my hyped for the game as oddly it reminded me a bit of Goldeneye. I still enjoyed the final game and loved the ideas, but it too often regressed to "classic" forced corridor encounters, never really living up to the ideas the preview level demonstrated.

More open, Crysis-like level design with wide play space and diversity in how you approach encounters (thanks to the drone tools) had really caught my interest for Shadow Fall, since I felt that was what would steer the design towards something more creative and interesting than average corridor shootbang. If it regresses, that's very disappointing.

I'm not getting any of the next gen systems at launch though, so my days of playing Shadow Fall were always far away. Will still get it when the time comes, but yeah, if true it's pretty disappointing to me.

MaxiLive

Why do you guys make such a big scene out of this stuff? It always makes gamers online look so bad. Wait until you play the game and then you can deconstruct the reviews point by point. Hysterical screaming is so wasteful.

Here, here!

Also I bet reviewers are going to be overly critical because to be honest that is what appeals to gamers. Probably only 5-10% of people in the thread have read more than the score and brief conclusion (myself included). But yet 90% are will to talk about their opinions on a number :D

5 is an absolutely insane score dripping in agenda.

6 was already a fairly absurd score for Mercenaries earlier this year, but well what can you do.

Always enjoyed the KZ games, never really gotten the blowback on them (other than 3's far too fucked-with MP compared to 2's perfection) when most media outlets dont have the balls to give COD the same treatment in kind.

Mercenaries is an amazing game and shows what the Vita can do. Anything under 7 is suspect IMO.

All the people expecting Killzone to be a good game and not just a fantastic graphical showcase was in denial.

Bought a ps3 in preparation of owing a ps4 and the Killzone games are all average.

So you are saying it isn't a good game? What, because of the Polygon Score? All the rest are around a 7/10 or higher, which is good.

Gimme a break dude!!

RS4-

I only care about the MP portion of the game. Need reviews on that. As long as its as good as its better than KZ3, because that was bad.

andycapps

The problem with all of these reviews is that they're basing their review of the game in large part in several hours of multiplayer at the Sony event. To really "get" Killzone multiplayer, you need to put in probably 10-20 hours, minimum. I think this is definitely going to be the case of, if you liked previous Killzone games, you'll like this, but if not then this won't convert anyone (other than being a technical showpiece).

Zemm

This thread is now going to be about Polygon isn't it? Just ignore it and discuss the rest, not like they're the only site not giving it a great score.

Zakalwe

Banned
So a standard Killzone game. Pretty but rubbish. Colour me unsurprised.

No one's said it's rubbish, aside from polygon.

It is when Killzone, the only major launch exclusive, was seen as the "next big evolution" in the series, and a major improvement over the last ones. And it's getting mediocre reviews. Not a good start.

Your definition of "mediocre" may be slightly off.

Looks like a solid game. Nothing ground-breaking but certainly good enough for FPS fans.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm going to wait for a price drop on this first, since I won't be really playing the multiplayer. I just hope Sony's RRP goes down in UK. It's way too high right now.

KOHIPEET

OH SHIT!!!

0oRQO5e.png

zFfMOIO.gif

Someone save this tweet in case X1 games will review even worse so we can repost it for all eternity.

Also. I'm not only buying a PS4 for Shadow Fall or Knack, but for all the value and free shit they give to people for 100 bucks less.

TTSupra

Banned
Sounds like Killzone and I cannot fucking wait.

Also, is it bassackwards that a low score from Gies makes me want the game more?

No, because you know deep down that Gies wanted to rate it a shit score and he didn't hold back. Gies's score also makes me wanna go buy it now.

Thanks Gies.

Gorillaz

Killzone name was always lukewarm but damn was thinking this would be the game to do it. Maybe the online makes up for it hopefully because GG seriously should step it up.

Idk bout Sony cutting them but they will probably be pit on the back burner this gen

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think if they had marketed this more as a typical linear KZ game instead of more open then the reviews may not have been so harsh. They misrepresented the game. If we were expecting a more linear title, which is what I was expecting prior to E3, then the more open segments would have been a nice surprise instead of what was supposedly the standard.

Allforce

I know these sites are dependent on getting the reviews out as fast as possible to get clicks but "played local multiplayer at a developer event" really reeks of rushing things.

Interested in seeing what the community comes up with in multiplayer as it seems like GG has just given is the maps and the tools to make our own game types. This isn't something you can just look at and go "yep it's ok" a week before the game even releases.

Sweet Ivy

Can't wait to go grab my Ps4 in a couple of days with my Killzone: Shadow Fall shirt on :).

Drooling already, no FPS has had more impact on me than KZ2 first scene: unique and amazingly so!
I have spent so many hours in KZ2 and I've loved KZ3. I'm ready to be amazed by Shadow Fall: I don't expect, I don't pretend, I'll just enjoy.

p.s.: reviews looking bad at cliches in FPS... what a joke!

Kssio_Aug

Says the man with the Killzone avatar.

Sorry, but calling Polygon a joke because "muh exclusive game review score is low" is just laughable. To accuse Polygon of a bias when you obviously have some bias in expecting 7-9 review scores as standard for a big budget, well-marketed, game that you're anticipating is to some extent hypocritical.

Soo... you're saying that I cant wear Killzone avatar and be reasonable?

Dont play dumb. Polygon was ever like that. Almost any PS exclusive is by them undescored (The Last of Us is another GREAT example, but it have many more... almost all of them).

Im not complaining about no other reviews here. But polygon is pure joke!

antti-la

Uh oh. And if you look at the history critics tend to get pretty liberal and open-handed when it's about anticipated launch titles.

I remember Perfect Dark Zero and Resistance getting pretty good reviews early on. I wonder how people think about those games these days.

So I guess Polygon prefers Call of Duty Ghosts to Killzone?

Or do they follow the "different reviewers different scores you cannot compare them" moto???

Honestly, the guys at Polygon are smart. They know what they are doing.

they don't actually. scores are picked by committee, not by the person who wrote the review. it's the one site you can legitimate laugh at their scoring inconsistencies even when the reviewers are different.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Am I the only one that enjoys the setting of Killzone, that enjoys what Guerilla are trying to do with the cold war themes? Sure they may not always hit the spot, but it's a damn sight more interesting to me than yet another conflict with the US military in a random desert country.

criticising the story seems odd when you have the hokum of stuff like CoD.

Maybe its just that I like single player FPS games and don't play much MP

Isn't the Cambridge studio part of Guerrilla too though? Thought it was.

Not really. They were rebranded, but the team is the same as before. I heard there was a bit of irritation at their rebranding to GC within the team because SCE Cambridge feel that they are better than GG at basically everything. Not surprising given that SCEE's Advanced Technology Group (SCEE's lesser known version of ICE) was based at SCE Cambridge and without them Killzone 2 would have been absolute shit.

Top Bottom