• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall technical presentation slides [Up: Tech Videos]

I wonder if we will finally see the death of terrible grass textures lol

60507-171531-cliffjpg-620x.jpg

Bad ground textures are probably my pet peeve in terms of graphics

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Fraps watermark, the game is running on a PC!!!!!!
LOL. I would like to see the specs of that PC though.

antitrop

This thread is really cool. I wish more developers were so open about the technical aspects of their games, it's fascinating.

orioto

Good Art™

Those two screens... -_- This is everything next gen dev should avoid.
They make the PS3 assets looks like gold with the proper angle and resolution so you cannot actually see the models and textures are 10 leagues away...

Why would they do that, and those PS3 assets are displayed with horrible iq in game, so they look worse.

And you bet people will scream "haha ps3 graphics" and "diminishing returns lol".
Thats why i'm worried about Sony launch against Microsoft one. I honestly think Epic (if they have something exclusive for 720) could make everyone believe Microsoft console is more powerfull even if it's not. Think about Gears of War. More than being exactly what kids wanted, it was designed, even artistically to show off and make a good use of normal maps and the limited 360 capacity to look smurfing next gen.

This is not by being subtle that Sony will impress. And the first impression is decisive.

Gestault

Write-ups like these are always fascinating to me near the very beginning or the very end of a tech era. The way time, resources and experience get juggled, even in a situation where the game itself may not end up perfect, really encapsulates why I think of gaming as a "hobby" for myself as opposed to just another kind of media I enjoy.

These guys are talented, and I can't wait to see what they can pull off in an environment where the platform itself doesn't pose unnecessary challenges of its own (not a slam on the PS3, just re: some of the realities of its architecture and working on 6-7-year-old hardware).

Shikoro

I wonder if we will finally see the death of terrible grass textures lol

60507-171531-cliffjpg-620x.jpg

Bad ground textures are probably my pet peeve in terms of graphics

Don't know if you're wondering whether the grass textures will be improved (down to RAM) or whether they'll be more densely populated with real grass geometry (more down to the GPU). Overall, we should see a boost in both.

This thread is really cool. I wish more developers were so open about the technical aspects of their games, it's fascinating.

Agreed. For movies, I don't really enjoy watching behind-the-scenes stuff because it does take away from my enjoyment of the movie. I've never been like that with games, for some reason. I can enjoy the game just as much, and in some cases even more, when I get a peek behind the curtain and realize all the insane work that goes into making these immersive experiences.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
yea the crystal tools engine or whatever was a complete disaster. It was just good at producing cut scenes and narrow hallways with some AA. Crap at everything else.

Well, for FFXIII (the first one), they actually pre-rendered almost all the cutscenes, so it really wasn't that great at that either...

Gestault

Those two screens... -_- This is everything next gen dev should avoid.
They make the PS3 assets looks like gold with the proper angle and resolution so you cannot actually see the models and textures are 10 leagues away...

Why would they do that, and those PS3 assets are displayed with horrible iq in game, so they look worse.

And you bet people will scream "haha ps3 graphics" and "diminishing returns lol".
Thats why i'm worry about Sony launch against Microsoft one. I honestly think Epic (if they have something exclusive for 720) could make everyone believe Microsoft console is more powerfull even if it's not. Think about Gears of War. More than being exactly what kids wanted, it was designed, even artistically to show off and make a good use of normal maps and the limited 360 capacity to look smurfing next gen.

This is not by being subtle that Sony will impress. And the first impression is decisive.

This is a point I'm very interested to see play out over the next year or so, because even ignoring the other competitor, I think Sony may face a situation where both fans and non-enthusiasts already have such high expectations from simply PS3 software that it's difficult to get a "wow" factor for PS4 outside of a tightly controlled presentation. A back-of-the-box PS3 screenshot sure looks an awful lot like a PS4 one would.

Oddly enough, performance is my biggest draw for next gen. I hope they don't prioritize trying to out-graphic themselves in a way which compromises the new potential for clarity and consistency.

This is a point I'm very interested to see play out over the next year or so, because even ignoring the other competitor, I think Sony may face a situation where both fans and non-enthusiasts already have such high expectations from simply PS3 software that it's difficult to get a "wow" factor for PS4 outside of a tightly controlled presentation. A back-of-the-box PS3 screenshot sure looks an awful lot like a PS4 one would.

Oddly enough, performance is my biggest draw for next gen. I hope they don't prioritize trying to out-graphic themselves in a way which compromises the new potential for clarity and consistency.

In the age of bullshots we are in, it definitely will be a lot harder this gen to try and show what a jump in technical power there is through the use of screenshots. People tend to remember graphics a lot more fondly than they actually appeared which leads to stuff like saying something looks like an N64 game when that gen looked like vomit on the screen.

The problem is just grass textures. If it doesn't have actual depth and physics based movement it's going to look like flat shit.

Yup.

And, what's funny is, I'm used to it. I've been an exclusive console gamer my entire life, save Minecraft on my iMac and Sim City 4 on PC. I'm was astonished at the graphics of Halo 4 when it was released.

Then the Playstation Meeting happened, and I was completely floored. Even more so by the smattering of negative comments I read online, not just on here but on other sites and forums, about how it's not even in 60 FPS, how it doesn't look as good as (insert game X here,) etc. I then did some research and could not believe the image quality and graphical output modern games are able to generate. I was totally shocked.

That's why I'm so excited for PS4. I will finally get to experience graphics like this without the headaches the PC comes with. And I have been told in the past that it's not that difficult to get a good gaming PC up and running, but I've tried in the past and have always been met with an intolerable level of stress and annoyance.

Sorry to get off-topic, we were talking about grass! :D

Raist

Banned

To some people, I guess. But this is pretty much true for every single gen.

orioto

Good Art™

This is always a problem of art direction to me. Crazy assets will be wasted this gen if you don't have ambitious art direction. I was commenting the KZ PS4 demo back then, saying it was a waste cause the use of light and level design was just bland (except in the end), and that killed the wow feeling for most people. Remember the firs KZ2 vids (not the traget render, the actual game). Gifs were all over internet and that was cause they had cool things, with the shadow behind the guy being killed etc..

But those slides omg, its like they are trying to say "hey guys look, we have all those polys and gpus and gflops and gbytes! and you won't see a f*cking difference! Does that make you want to spend 500$ ??

This ground poly ps3 version would look bad from the side. They show it in a way you can't actually see it's really low poly lol.

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
To see the videos, just download the ppt from the link in the OP and change the extension to .zip it's in ppt/media.

Raist

Banned
This is always a problem of art direction to me. Crazy assets will be wasted this gen if you don't have ambitious art direction. I was commenting the KZ PS4 demo back then, saying it was a waste cause the use of light and level design was just bland (except in the end), and that killed the wow feeling for most people. Remember the firs KZ2 vids (not the traget render, the actual game). Gifs were all over internet and that was cause they had cool things, with the shadow behind the guy being killed etc..

But those slides omg, its like they are trying to say "hey guys look, we have all those polys and gpus and gflops and gbytes! and you won't see a f*cking difference! Does that make you want to spend 500$ ??

This ground poly ps3 version would look bad from the side. They show it in a way you can't actually see it's really low poly lol.

You might be a bit biased on taht one :p

But it's just a matter of personal perception and appreciation of these things. I see big differences in these 2 helghast models in terms of pretty much everything. Polycount, details, texture quality, shadowing/lighting. But some people won't see a significant difference, just like some people can't tell between 30 and 60fps.

That is what you get with sub 2.0 Tflops gpu.

But further some interesting slides made google some of the terms.
I should investigate Job based system more for multithreaded applications.

Are those the only two screens? The PDF is loading terribly for me.

Those are the most interesting ones unless you kinda like me and like the debug and profiling screenshots :p

High quality images:

Even with the KZ3 assets being shown in 1080p I still notice many improvements. First shot, Shadow Fall is far smoother on the edges, much more detail on each piece of debris, and far superior lighting and shadows. Second pic has a whole glow effect on the Shadow Fall model face that isn't there at all on the KZ3 model, new model also has more dynamic looking clothing (wrinkles and bends, etc.), smoother edges and softer, more realistic shadows.

You won't see a big difference since it just a model that out of context .
It going to be rather easy to see when playing or in vids .
Still some people can see things better than others so all of that matters .

Sorral

I find it interesting how they have a lot of improvement from using just the Jaguar instead of the Cell. To be fair though the Cell was crippled with the RSX and the two memory pools as well as being more suited for long sequences of numerical data.

Personally, I cannot wait to see what they have for unannounced IP and the second-generation releases of PS4 games especially sandbox games as just about all announced games are launch day/window line-up so far.

No_Style

I was going to criticize them for not adequately showing off the generational differences in those comparisons but then I remembered that the public isn't the target audience for these slides. Surely other developers wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the next generation because of these comparisons.

typical trolling from a certain group of fanboys
Please don't tell me it is the typical "diminish return BS", "it looks like PS3 stuff". I know from what camp most those partisans are... they are quite bitter this days.

Because i thought those died with the direct feed less compresed video we got from one of the presentations?
Fanboyism derailment happened.

Video is up and running. It will be processed in 720p as time goes:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgZZ9ODW0rw

A lot of debugging. There is a fun weather tech though. I'm adding annotations.
Thanks so much for this shagg.

Please don't tell me it is the typical "diminish return BS", "it looks like PS3 stuff".

Because i thought those died with the direct feed less compresed video we got from one of the presentations?

no it's the usual stuff like; killzone sucks, how much ram for good gameplay etc. drive by trolling....

FFXIII was graphically perfectly fine. Dat IQ (on PS3)

It was a PS2 era game with a new coat of paint. I got it with my PS3 back in March 2010, I was playing it along with God of War 3, Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain. It just looked like Final Fantasy X with next gen shaders...the animation was crap, there was no collision detection, the cities were empty, the NPC's didn't move etc. I wasn't impressed at all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

GG does a lot of presentations like this. This is the second that they've done for Shadow Fall already. I've learned a ton from them.

Top Bottom