• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall technical presentation slides [Up: Tech Videos]

they probably want to have a look at Call of Duty Ghost and other Microsoft stuff before showing anything. Then they will respond accordingly during e3

I fail to see what difference that would make.

E3 is like what? 20 days after the M$ presser? How much improvement could be done in that time?

I would like to see shot of that KZ3 pile of rubble from ingame. It would look significantly downgraded when rendered in 720p.

killzone36bsi0.png

killzone3_8tysaq.png

killzone3_7mputv.png

killzone3_12a4ufq.png

killzone3_110duk2.png

killzone3_6k6ukh.png

killzone3_3dau36.png

KKRT00

No, according to nvidia probably by 2019 or 2020

But we dont need 20TFlops for that :) We can use lower precision and hacks a get around with 4TFlops :p Still 4TFlops for one effect wont happen for at least 7 years.

----

BTW i've just checked and on console it have same physics as on Low PC. Smoke in C3 is really something else, even on consoles it has 'volume', so when more smoke accumulate in spot, for example You have two explosions and two smoke clouds and their overlap, smoke gets darker, like its shadowed :)

Nice! Next Gen and PS4 talk, love it.

Making this not a direct sequel to KZ3 was a smart move. Never have given this franchise much thought, but this is very tempting.

farisr

Well, for FFXIII (the first one), they actually pre-rendered almost all the cutscenes, so it really wasn't that great at that either...

Actually, no. On the ps3, only cutscenes that were pre-rendered were the obvious ones (that look like a CG movie). All cutscenes that look like the in-engine graphics were rendered in real-time.

The 360 version on the other indeed did have prerendered videos for a lot of the cutscenes that looked like they were in-engine.

But we dont need 20TFlops for that :) We can use lower precision and hacks a get around with 4TFlops :p Still 4TFlops for one effect wont happen for at least 7 years.

----

BTW i've just checked and on console it have same physics as on Low PC. Smoke in C3 is really something else, even on consoles it has 'volume', so when more smoke accumulate in spot, for example You have two explosions and two smoke clouds and their overlap, smoke gets darker, like its shadowed :)

wish these boxes were 4tflop....

i wish crysis 3 were a better game, i ignored the tech and just played the game. a massive letdow....

the snipers in killzone look so adorable and cute and they have cutest walking animation

Man

So good that the game was well optimized already in February.
Will probably be the most rock-solid performing next-gen launch game.

B.O.O.M

That matrix mode needs to be unlockable in the game...maybe after you finish it for the first time unlock it so we can play through it again

farisr

That matrix mode needs to be unlockable in the game...maybe after you finish it for the first time unlock it so we can play through it again

Yeah, that'd be cool. Unforunately, after playthrough special cheats/modes are a thing of the past really now. Barely any games had them this gen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Something I just realized that's pretty crazy. Someone compared the 40k polygon NPC character models to Jodi from Beyond at 30k and she's vastly more detailed than most current gen characters. That's pretty impressive in itself but it crosses a line into "HOLY SHIT" territory when you realize that they can do that with 60 NPCs on screen.

Something I just realized that's pretty crazy. Someone compared the 40k polygon NPC character models to Jodi from Beyond at 30k and she's vastly more detailed than most current gen characters. That's pretty impressive in itself but it crosses a line into "HOLY SHIT" territory when you realize that they can do that with 60 NPCs on screen.

Mind.Blown.

Man

That's pretty impressive in itself but it crosses a line into "HOLY SHIT" territory when you realize that they can do that with 60 NPCs on screen.
Well, I doubt more than five-ten characters will have the highest LOD model showing at any time. Would be a waste of resources.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well, I doubt more than five-ten characters will have the highest LOD model showing at any time. Would be a waste of resources.

Well, yeah. Of course. Still pretty impressive though and shows that there is room for a big jump in visuals while still allowing for more populated and dynamic worlds.

RayMaker

Banned
It would of been interesting to see if they made exactly the same demo using the KZ3 engine running on PS3, to show how big a leap it was or wasnt.

The most impressive thing about the KZ:SF demo is the sharpness of the image and the lack of jaggies, that was my biggest complaint with KZ3, it had really bad jaggies and the game just looked dirty to me compared to other FPS's, it was as if GG went out to make the best looking FPS game but they sacrificed IQ and texture quality, which resulted in not the best looking fps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCLoLr9KwWk

this brings the visual leap into perspective

Orayn

It's easy to say that or crack jokes but the real difference will be the engine in motion, the cloth physics, reflections, IQ, AA, etc.

Exactly. I don't want to bring up diminishing returns since it's kind of an inflammatory phrase, but upgrades to things like poly count, draw distance, and textures will be less and less noticeable because we're well past the point of those things being distractingly bad, at least for the most part. The areas with the most room for improvement are either increasingly subtle, or have remained difficult to pin down for technical reasons. (Tessellation, ray tracing, highly realistic motion blur)

Nizz

Exactly. I don't want to bring up diminishing returns since it's kind of an inflammatory phrase, but upgrades to things like poly count, draw distance, and textures will be less and less noticeable because we're well past the point of those things being distractingly bad, at least for the most part. The areas with the most room for improvement are either increasingly subtle, or have remained difficult to pin down for technical reasons. (Tessellation, ray tracing, highly realistic motion blur)
And to have all of this running at a solid framerate. It was impressive when I read Digital Foundry's analysis of the PS meeting demo and how it never dipped below 30fps. If they can keep up the quality of the effects up and have everything running at a rock solid 30 with no dips in the final game I'll be impressed.

It's easy to say that or crack jokes but the real difference will be the engine in motion, the cloth physics, reflections, IQ, AA, etc.
It's also not a fair comparison. The texture resolution looks increased in the PS3 model in that pic. And because the PS3 model is in the Shadow Fall engine it's benefitting from much better filtering, Aa, lighting, ect. In the PS3 engine that model doesn't look anywhere near as good.

That looks gorgeous.

I noticed an interesting thing I noticed when they had the CPU profiler open. They are only using 6 threads (workers 0-5, and worker 0 looked like the main thread). So would this mean that the PS4 is actually reserving 2 cores for the system instead of the 1 I've heard people on here mention (assuming these are hardware threads, ie one dedicated thread per core)?

It's not software related but Sony unveiled Move with a pretty shitty looking set up either before or after MS Kinect news came out a few years back if I remember correctly.

Again nothing to do with an actual game, and your probably right, but its crazy how last second some of the E3 stuff is/might be.

Heh, E3 is always last second for devs. The problem is that the resources to making a good E3 demo is a lot of time spent from just focusing on finishing the game. Even worse during a console launch, because the foundation they are building on is not finished either. I would expect that a lot of next-gen console games shown at E3 will still be shown on PC and not consoles (some will be on actual hardware, but not all).

I fail to see what difference that would make.

E3 is like what? 20 days after the M$ presser? How much improvement could be done in that time?

It's not software related but Sony unveiled Move with a pretty shitty looking set up either before or after MS Kinect news came out a few years back if I remember correctly.

Again nothing to do with an actual game, and your probably right, but its crazy how last second some of the E3 stuff is/might be.

So putting aside PS4 being easier program, it seems like more work is being put into this game than last generation games, as evidenced by the addition of more LOD models. It definitely won't happen, but I wonder how it would've turned out had developers decided to use the extra power to reduce the cost of making games. Like just making one medium poly model that was always displayed (no LOD), not having to optimize as much around 512 MB of RAM, less baked lighting, etc.

It is my hunch, that had this path been taken, current generation graphics would be achievable at reduced costs. This could've allow for more diversification and the return of the mid tier game. Unfortunately, this was probably never much of a possibility due to a similar phenomena as the Tragedy of the Commons: while everyone as a whole would be better off if costs were reduced, each developer has an individual incentive to push their games graphics in order to compare favorably to their competition and to gain mind share of consumers who are often impressed by the most easily noticeable aspect of the game: the graphics.

memx3jnb.jpg

Hm, 4.5GB of memory... I thought Guerrilla only learned about the 4GB -> 8GB upgrade at the event like everyone else? :p

The presentation they gave where the slides are from are from less then a month ago. The build shown in February had the 4GB total ram cap like everyone else. You can bet after that week of press events for the PS4 reveal was done they got back to home base and went "gimmie gimmie gimme!" for the updated dev kits.

Tratorn

memx3jnb.jpg

Hm, 4.5GB of memory... I thought Guerrilla only learned about the 4GB -> 8GB upgrade at the event like everyone else? :p

This isn't a "proof" that they knew about it. Just because the demo on the Dev Kits used that amount of Memory, doesn't make it clear that the final version would have used the same.

If they just had 3.5GB for the final hardware (dev kits have more RAM for exactly this reason), they could still have achieved that with memory optimizations in the next months.

Top Bottom