• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: 2 million Switch units shipped by FY's end

That's fine, they should expect 3-4million by the end of april though, if they can only make 10m or so a year, it is going to be sold out all year, especially is january rolls around and Pokemon eclipse is shown for NS, there is nothing stopping that title from selling 10m+ units, and it will be very hard to find a Switch during that time if it comes.

BTW, Pokemon moved over to the unity engine right? so it's pretty simple to get sun/moon running on NS and then adding to it. This is partly why I think we didn't see a game reveal and only a teaser for the system that really just highlights the functions of the device rather than what people will get to play on it.

huh?

FZZ

Banned
FZZ, what kind of number did you expect? Since you seem to know what is 'good' and what is 'bad'
xddw3icafrr0.png

Kimi saying they won't sell it at a loss makes me think this will be a $299 device since I can't see it selling for any lower with the featureset it has

I was expecting 3-5 mil honestly since I was thinking global launch and shit

but I forgot that a.) it's a games console b.) nintendo is coming off Wii U so they probably are going to be more conservative than ever

also I think there will be shortages if you don't preorder

No, it didn't. It sold a million in the first 24 hours. Not per day...

thats what i said bby

1 mil in a day in north america alone

Nibel

Unless they happen to have an amazing upcoming library, it's another Wii U at this price.

Yup, they will have to fight a tough uphill battle if they launch at that price. People are going to put everything under a microscope, from specs to launch games

I'd argue taking the loss and selling at $249 would be much wiser, but I don't know much about financials to correctly forsee the long-term consequences of such a decision

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That's one month (or less) of sales.

That is going to be a very supply constrained launch: less than 700K consoles for each of the major three regions for the immediate launch period.

This makes me slightly worried about NX ease of manufacturing issues as the big cause behind the delay too. Two million consoles should not take more than three months to manufacture at this stage unless the design got finalised extremely late.

BTW, Pokemon moved over to the unity engine right? so it's pretty simple to get sun/moon running on NS and then adding to it. This is partly why I think we didn't see a game reveal and only a teaser for the system that really just highlights the functions of the device rather than what people will get to play on it.

You're thinking of Pokemon Go. Different studio.

SalvaPot

Nintendo is reminding me of Pre-Wii Nintendo, remember the anticipation, the hype, the launch Zelda title that was promised for the previous console?

The perfect storm is brewing.

That is going to be a very supply constrained launch: less than 700K consoles for each of the major three regions for the immediate launch period.

This makes me slightly worried about NX ease of manufacturing issues as the big cause behind the delay too. Two million consoles should not take more than three months to manufacture at this stage unless the design got finalised extremely late.

It's likely they'll manufacture MORE than 2 million units to account for anything beyond what they forecast, but considering they overestimated for the Wii U, they're likely just announcing conservative estimates in order to account for what they assume the market pace will be.

Yup, they will have to fight a tough uphill battle if they launch at that price. People are going to put everything under a microscope, from specs to launch games

I'd argue taking the loss and selling at $249 would be much wiser, but I don't know much about financials to correctly forsee the long-term consequences of such a decision

I believe this is why they call it a home console. Basically, it'll be 300 dollars and they'll just claim it's a home console.

They're not going to evenly distribute the launch units like that. My guess is North America will receive the most launch consoles, then Japan, and Europe will receive scraps (only kidding about EU....sort of).

You guys also need to remember that this is launching in March. It's probably not going to do holiday numbers no matter how successful it is, so I can understand the shipment amount.

KingBroly

Banned

Well they said that games are why they're releasing in March, so...I dunno.

At worst, you take the Wii U's first party lineup from the first year and instead of stretching it out over 12 months you have it over 8. So by comparison it'd look bigger, even though it'd just be more dense. They also have the ability to roll into E3 with some momentum for more announcements.

SalvaPot

Is Nintendo trying to create artificial scarcity or they have no faith on it?

I think they are playing it safe, as they do when they have something at stake. They did it with the Wii and they did it with Amiibo. And with many game releases that prove hard to find later.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Honestly, while I believe 299.99 is the upper limit for the console's price, I believe they can afford to price it that way while not sounding overpriced due to how they're promoting the platform: they've stated multiple times this is a home console that you can take on the go. By stating it's a home console, you send the message it's going to be priced higher than a portable, and people shouldn't have problems in still anticipating the platform because they would see its appeal, again, as a home console you can take with you...I mean, if the price is reasonable enough (599.99 jokes incoming :p). It would've been way worse if they said that Switch is a portable console you can use on your tv as well: it's not as an attractive proposition as the former, thus people have lower price expectations in order to be interested in it. In that case, 249.99 would've been the upper limit, maybe even pushing it a bit.

Obviously, a good-to-great launch lineup would help in making the proposition much more attracitve, but that goes without saying.

antonz

2 million is a perfectly acceptable amount and is not trying to create shortages etc.

Nintendo if anything is likely to lowball shipment reports so if it sells well they can report increased sales above forecast

Trace

Banned

I'd say anything over $249 would probably hurt it, especially in Canada where $249 is already $330. $299 USD pushes it to $399 CAD and that's what I paid for a PS4 at launch.

Speely

Banned

That is quite possible, isn't it? Given the complexity of the design and the importance of balancing everything just so, it seems like a console like this would be a bit more prone to taking a bit longer to dial in than traditional ones.

At least I hope that's the case. The alternative of potentially persisting manufacturing issues is scary.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I was expecting 3-5 mil honestly since I was thinking global launch and shit

but I forgot that a.) it's a games console b.) nintendo is coming off Wii U so they probably are going to be more conservative than ever

also I think there will be shortages if you don't preorder

I wouldn't be so sure about shortages, although it's always wise to preorder hardware if you want it on launch day.

The Wii U sold about 900,000 units in the first month and a half, so 2 million for launch day is a substantial jump over the previous system without being a risk of clogging shelves if things go badly. Seems like a very smart number to me, especially for a non-holiday launch.

guit3457

March 2017 is a great launch date. Months after launch is the E3, Gamescom, Tokyo Game Show and then the heavy hitters on holidays 2017.

It's feels they are doing things right this time. I hope their games be amazing and carry them.

Nibel

I believe this is why they call it a home console. Basically, it'll be 300 dollars and they'll just claim it's a home console.

Thought the same; this is the reason why they say that it's a home console first

Honestly, while I believe 299.99 is the upper limit for the console's price, I believe they can afford to price it that way while not sounding overpriced due to how they're promoting the platform: they've stated multiple times this is a home console that you can take on the go. By stating it's a home console, you send the message it's going to be priced higher than a portable, and people shouldn't have problems in still anticipating the platform because they would see its appeal, again, as a home console you can take with you...I mean, if the price is reasonable enough (599.99 jokes incoming :p). It would've been way worse if they said that Switch is a portable console you can use on your tv as well: it's not as an attractive proposition as the former, thus people have lower price expectations in order to be interested in it. In that case, 249.99 would've been the upper limit, maybe even pushing it a bit.

$299 is a fine price for a new home console, but in the case of Nintendo they are still forced to hit everything out of the park with that price tag. They fucked their reputation with the early days of the 3DS and the Wii U, two overpriced devices that didn't deliver neither on a technical level nor had great games for a long time.

If this will be a $299 device, the games and requestes features like a modern online infrastructure, achievements etc. have all to be there; if anything is missing, the mainstream crowd might be turned off.

They've got tons of positive buzz since the reveal and a mainline Zelda title, so things are looking good for now. That January/February Direct will be tough tho

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
A strong launch lineup can certainly achieve this, providing they release the system at the start of March (I predict the first Friday, March 3rd).

This is no different than Capcom saying they only expect Monster Hunter to sell "2 Million copies.". They lowball their expectations that way when they surpass it it just looks better on them. Everyone knows Monster Hunter is a multi-million seller, but if Capcom forecasts that they'll sell 8 million but fail to hit that mark then it looks bad on them. Low-balling estimates is pretty normal.

z0m3le

Banned

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/3zlhie/gamefreak_hiring_unity_devs_and_management_staff/

There was some other rumors around this too, but Sun and Moon use a new engine and most people who are speculating around it assume it is unity. Gamefreak has used the same engine since the original games, so the switch over is probably related to moving from fixed functions and Unity is pretty much perfect for Pokemon. (not that unreal would be any worse)

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemongo/comments/3zlhie/gamefreak_hiring_unity_devs_and_management_staff/

There was some other rumors around this too, but Sun and Moon use a new engine and most people who are speculating around it assume it is unity. Gamefreak has used the same engine since the original games, so the switch over is probably related to moving from fixed functions and Unity is pretty much perfect for Pokemon. (not that unreal would be any worse)

While saying Unity help is for Pokémon might be interesting, it's more than likely for their other games. They've created other games on mobile and for other consoles, despite their main bread and butter being Pokémon games.

Speely

Banned
March 2017 is a great launch date. Months after launch is the E3, Gamescom, Tokyo Game Show and then the heavy hitters on holidays 2017.

It's feels they are doing things right this time. I hope their games be amazing and carry them.

Agreed. What makes me a bit optimistic is that between A) Emily Roger's statements about this console having a healthier lineup, B) Kimishima stating that they were not ready to release until they had a strong lineup, and C) having the majority of Nintendo's own studios focused on one platform, I see them having a very strong launch window (dominant, even) and a healthy march (hah) into E3 and the holidays.

Are you sure Sun and Moon uses a new engine? It doesn't look like it at all. And I'm pretty sure it's impossible for Gamefreak to have been using the engine from Red/Blue till now, they probably changed it back on the DS even

LordKano

Don't Unity runs like shit on 3DS ?

Zedark

....I'm totally going to miss preorders and not get this day one, aren't I? T_T

Man, I am so scared about this!

OT: depending on when in March the system launches, this can be anywhere from low to high imo. Hope they manage to sell through this amount at the end of March at least, would be a great start for the NS!

Genio88

I think there will be enough Switch for everybody who want it at launch, gonna preorder it on Amazon as soon as available though

I hope not. Unity is shit and with NS's CPU, I expect perfomance issues.

Top Bottom